Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice-overs

Options
  • 17-01-2014 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how voiceover artists are chosen.
    I've noticed recently that a female voice which would be known to Fair City followers is being used on countless ads both TV and radio. I travel for a living and listen to the radio quite a bit and no matter what station I'm tuned to..there she is!. when I got home last night I watched the six-one news on RTE and during their first ad break her voice was on no fewer than three ads. I'm curious as to how one performer can have such a monopoly on this kind of work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What tends to happen is that clients will go : Oh, we want that person who's on company X's ad.

Then if he/she has a good agent, they get a lot of repeat business.

VO work's often quite sporadic and it's often not very well paid in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What tends to happen is that clients will go : Oh, we want that person who's on company X's ad.

Then if he/she has a good agent, they get a lot of repeat business.

VO work's often quite sporadic and it's often not very well paid in Ireland.
    OK I know what you mean. Though I think using the same voice for lots of different products lessens the impact. Driving back to Cork last week I counted nine different ads in which the Fair City lady provides the voiceover. Now that has to be a record. Sadly I wrote down the products mentioned. I remember the guy from Glenroe, George I think his name was, used to add an air of gravitas to his voiceovers and was always promoting 'blue chip' products. He's the guy I'd pick to promote my business, not someone that's hopping from Kildare Village to UPC to Axa to Falcon Holidays to Tubs & Tiles to Baby Food etc etc....

Advertisement