Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€490m meant for local services diverted to Irish Water

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

newbie2013 wrote: »
    I just lol at these threads. Here we can clearly see the government screwed us over yet again, we get a few rants then it's back to your ****e pathetic lives. I remember looking at the fighting Irish logos and having pride seeing them because I used to believe we were a great nation that took no ****. Fighting Irish my ballix lol. Should stick pink fluffy slippers and aprons on the men of this country because their no good for fighting for what's right. Bend over and take it like the fool's yous are. You know it makes sence

Off you go then. I'm right behind you.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Who cares what CmcC says?
    The poster I was responding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was in America when they protested about a rise in the price of milk. Over here 50 million is spent setting up a billing system for a company that already has a billing system and nothing is done. I don't mean to be harsh but it seems to be a case that those who never had to worry about money are preaching to the rest of us telling us protesters are wasters ect.

We're an island of ~5 million dealing with two nationwide over spending and maybe corruption scandals. Why do people think they or we as a country deserve this crap?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 222 ✭✭harryr711

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1364941.ece
    Irish Water set up its western headquarters in an office rented from a business part-owned by a Fine Gael councillor and key ally of Enda Kenny without a public tendering process.
    But the office space "contained desks and cabling" so that's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Off you go then. I'm right behind you.:rolleyes:

So your a giver then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Why do they need a western office? The country isn't that big. Or are we going to end up like the county council, with 30 look after 26 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think it's time to admit that those in the cronyism circle don't give a flying about what we need. It seems to be more what they want.

Enda Kenny's former aide-de-camp Cmdt. Michael Treacy took early retirement last Autumn and became the Regional Communications Manager of Irish Water in the Mid West according to a report in Phoenix magazine apparently.

EDIT: Also crops up here http://www.clare.fm/blog/afternoon/afternoon-show-tuesday-october-15th-2013

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

harryr711 wrote: »
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1364941.ece

But the office space "contained desks and cabling" so that's grand.
    Enda Kenny's former aide-de-camp Cmdt. Michael Treacy took early retirement last Autumn and became the Regional Communications Manager of Irish Water in the Mid West according to a report in Phoenix magazine apparently.

EDIT: Also crops up here http://www.clare.fm/blog/afternoon/afternoon-show-tuesday-october-15th-2013

The cronyism that FG promised to end continues to actually increase.
    Are there many of them left to be paid off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think it's time to admit that those in the cronyism circle don't give a flying about what we need. It seems to be more what they want.

It's more what they believe they are "entitled" to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

No Pants wrote: »
    Why do they need a western office? The country isn't that big. Or are we going to end up like the county council, with 30 look after 26 counties.

??? Seriously?

Water infrastructure over west can manage itself can it? Water infrastructure in the west has been seriously underfunded in the past. If left with no regional office it will be forgotten entirely. Also what would happen down the line if there was another crypto outbreak. ...manage this from Dublin too maybe?

Daisy78 wrote: »
    ??? Seriously?

Water infrastructure over west can manage itself can it? Water infrastructure in the west has been seriously underfunded in the past. If left with no regional office it will be forgotten entirely. Also what would happen down the line if there was another crypto outbreak. ...manage this from Dublin too maybe?
    Yes, seriously. The actual work is still going to be done by the local authorities. Again, why would a western office be needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

??? Seriously?

the country is tiny and our population is less than 5 million. we really should have no need for regions.

But if the local authorities were looking after the water supply and the water infrastructure in the west was seriously underfunded in the past, that means that this lack of investment in the west was due to the west itself. How would a regional office solve this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

This is a very good article, I'd recommend a read of it.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/elites-making-a-killing-at-expense-of-state-29929496.html

He is writing about Irish Water and the expenses regarding the elites...

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/elites-making-a-killing-at-expense-of-state-29929496.html

Kerrigan's always worth a read on a Sunday.

http://irishelectionliterature.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/endawaste07.jpg?w=1024&h=235

EDIT: Another broken promise, or can we expect a wave of sackings in both Irish Water and Fine Gael (and many others) and an election to be called shortly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Daith wrote: »
    My only issue is I'd rather see more of the money I pay, the taxpayer pays go to improving the infrastructure and directly to the infrastructure. Not a portion as a bonus pay.
    This sounds like you know the price of everything, but the value of nothing - just like the Fianna Fáil TDs who were mouthing off this week.

Imagine there are 5 ways to do something. Each has a different level of difficulty in doing it. The easier it is, the more expensive it is. Lazy staff will end up costing the business more. Hard working and insightful staff will save the business and their consumers money. In exchange, those good staff are given a bonus of up to 10% of their salary.

Once upon a time, I was working on the design of a project with about 500 apartments with other elements. On each story of a building, the architect put two apartments, typically for 3-5 storeys. I suggested instead, that there be 4 apartments per storey, as this meant they could share the lifts, stairs, lobbies and other elements. That knocked about €1 million off the cost of the project for no diminution of quality. Shouldn't such thought processes be promoted? Are should we go with "Ah, sure it's grand, this is what we've always done."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

emo72 wrote: »
    it would be funny if it wasnt so serious.

http://irishelectionliterature.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/dunlnews97a.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The cronyism that FG promised to end continues to actually increase.
    Are there many of them left to be paid off?
    I understand he was aide-de-camp to several politicians, so nothing to do with FG.
    Yes, seriously. The actual work is still going to be done by the local authorities. Again, why would a western office be needed?
    As if the LAs in the west are doing their work properly.
    But if the local authorities were looking after the water supply and the water infrastructure in the west was seriously underfunded in the past, that means that this lack of investment in the west was due to the west itself. How would a regional office solve this?
    By having someone local to supervise them. Or would you have managers and engineers driving up and down the country all the time?

Victor wrote: »
    I understand he was aide-de-camp to several politicians, so nothing to do with FG.

As if the LAs in the west are doing their work properly.
    I think he was as well, and he may well have been the best candidate for the new position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

So disappointed in Eamo's u turns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Politicians lap up anything for votes. Run from the responsibility of running a country. They couldn't run a sweet shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

The local authorties will be maintaining the network for the period of the service level agreement which is for a period of 12 years (or less if either party decides to back out of the agreement). So Irish Water will eventually be responsible for maintaining the infrastructure into the future. You cant maintain a local network from a head office in dublin...its just not possible. Even if you employ a local contractor to repair a burst on a watermain say....you will still need local inspectors to be involved as they have on the ground knowledge of the infrastructure. As for the issue of funding...each area will have to submit a needs assessment for future schemes to senior management in iw. Again how would the head office be aware of local issues and the various constraints in the network if they do not have at least some presence in the region? You are talking about thousands of kilometres of watermain and sewer mains. You can bet that there would be uproar over there if they were paying for water with no local iw presence in the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Days 298 wrote: »
    Politicians lap up anything for votes. Run from the responsibility of running a country. They couldn't run a sweet shop.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/poor-sales-force-13m-dail-shop-to-shut-down-29376157.html

Victor wrote: »
    This sounds like you know the price of everything, but the value of nothing - just like the Fianna Fáil TDs who were mouthing off this week.

Imagine there are 5 ways to do something. Each has a different level of difficulty in doing it. The easier it is, the more expensive it is. Lazy staff will end up costing the business more. Hard working and insightful staff will save the business and their consumers money. In exchange, those good staff are given a bonus of up to 10% of their salary.

Sounds like you believe that a base salary isn't good enough to get good work from people and they need more money.

Or that you believe that lazy staff won't get a bonus? What if lazy staff are getting a bonus? Is that ok?

Daith wrote: »
    Sounds like you believe that a base salary isn't good enough to get good work from people and they need more money.

Or that you believe that lazy staff won't get a bonus? What if lazy staff are getting a bonus? Is that ok?
    Chances are that lazy/poor staff will get a bonus if the bonuses are based on company performance rather than individual performance targets.

Chances are that lazy/poor staff will get a bonus if the bonuses are based on company performance rather than individual performance targets.

Or like most companies a mixture of both company performance and individual performance.

Moving on from bonuses...

Do people think that a household should pay the water charge if their drinking water is unsuitable/dirty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

time and time again it has been proved that people at the top of such organisations, can not be trusted with the public's money.

Advertisement