Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting new friends Cork City

Options
  • 17-01-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hiya, I moved down here a few months ago and I'm looking to expand my group of friends. I know meetups have been mentioned but i find big events intimidating when I don't know anyone. When I was in Galway, we formed a group of random girls from boards to meet up for lunch, coffee, going on outings and the odd night out on the town. Just wondering is there anyone about the city looking for the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

there was a meet up group alright but not too sure did it ever take off.. Oh im jealous I would love to move to galway, what brings you to Cork

Oh I should have said Welcome to the Capital Also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I asked a friend & she said that this site is worth a shot:

http://www.meetup.com

There's different groups on it for different ages & interests, she said there's a few groups for Cork. Worth a look I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Milly33 wrote: »
    there was a meet up group alright but not too sure did it ever take off.. Oh im jealous I would love to move to galway, what brings you to Cork

Yeah, it took off alright.

But it moved to meetup.com

294 members on it now, but not all meet at the same time.

Can be as big or small as you want it.

http://www.meetup.com/Meetups-in-Cork/

uhh must go have a sconce myself thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Hi milly I moved down here for a masters which got extended to a phd. Galway is nice, but a bit too small when your entire hometown seems to have moved there :-D mr frisp I'm part of meetup.com but all the events either cost a lot - hate admitting that I've reverted to broke student mode again- or involve big groups and or the cinema (bad way to get to know peeps). How the boards group worked was we chatted to each other on boards for a few days to make sure we'd get along and there were no crazies (well not unbearable crazies) then we met up for coffee. Maybe I've missed it but there doesn't seem to be a forum function on the meetup website.

Don't worry tisnt just because you are a student im broke half the time too. Is there any kinda of meet up groups within the college or anything? I tried signing into the meetup things earlier but got blocked or something I must try it again later..

There was a board gamers meetup not too long ago if you were into anything like that. haha sounds very nerdy but board games can be fun and well tis cheap.. haven't gone myself either but always willing to try new things

Is that the one in the pavillion every second monday? I actually know the people running that (my bf is a wargamer nerd), the boardgames are pretty interesting and yep its cheap. There's a convention on here in UCC this week and there's always a pile of different games to play. My main issue is that their my fella's friends so if anything went wrong (hopefully not) I'll lose that bunch so thats why I'm trying to branch out. I'm part of choral soc here but they're all a lot younger, tried scifi soc but again they're younger like some are still in secondary school.

I was trying to have a look there again for it but couldn't find the post it could be indeedy.. I ponder is it any good? Has anyone here gone to it? Would you have any interest in the old supernatural stuff Im fingers crossed going for a walk around with a group this sunday if you fancy coming along, not sure of the details yet but can let you know..

I wouldn't be completely adverse to something like that- is it a type of ghost walk? I've been a couple of nights to the board games, they're really interesting, like monopoly with a twist. Haven't heard of any since christmas, might be because of warpcon is on in UCC this weekend. But if I hear of them going on I'll let you know!

• Advertisement

Well tis more a group who are interested in the ghostie and haunted places. there is a cork group after starting I don't know anyone in it myself but joined there may be something on this weekend either sat or sun if your interested..Now I like the spooky stories and all that goes but I would not be too overwhelmed with it. If anything it is a good chance to get into some of the more interesting spots in cork that you normally could not.. ill pm you if I hear of more for this weekend if you like

That would be great. I'd be a skeptic through and through but always find ghost stories amusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

tinz18 wrote: »
    Hi milly I moved down here for a masters which got extended to a phd. Galway is nice, but a bit too small when your entire hometown seems to have moved there :-D mr frisp I'm part of meetup.com but all the events either cost a lot - hate admitting that I've reverted to broke student mode again- or involve big groups and or the cinema (bad way to get to know peeps). How the boards group worked was we chatted to each other on boards for a few days to make sure we'd get along and there were no crazies (well not unbearable crazies) then we met up for coffee. Maybe I've missed it but there doesn't seem to be a forum function on the meetup website.

Hi Tinz18,
    Yes,I'm a Student myself, so I know how you feel.

We actually haven't made any of the Meetup's for a while now, sadly.

There was the Group on here, but it got a bit quiet, so the Meetup King on here, KingTut started it up on Meetup.com .

While most of the Meetup's do cost a bit, you could always suggest to the Group for a Meetup that don't cost anything, or costs very little.

That's the idea behind it..Different people suggesting different Meetup's.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

"

Some of the meet ups do cost money; like the ice skating meeting this Saturday. Odds are there'll be post skating drinks that'll be free(ish) to go along to.

There are other groups that are less likely to cost money to join. For example there's a running group on there. I'd be tempted to join but I don't like mornings....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Hi Tinz18,
    Yes,I'm a Student myself, so I know how you feel.

We actually haven't made any of the Meetup's for a while now, sadly.

There was the Group on here, but it got a bit quiet, so the Meetup King on here, KingTut started it up on Meetup.com .

While most of the Meetup's do cost a bit, you could always suggest to the Group for a Meetup that don't cost anything, or costs very little.

That's the idea behind it..Different people suggesting different Meetup's.

:D

You rang ;)

Tinz18, as others have pointed out most events (including ours) cost money, when it comes to a pub it's obviously up to the individual to decide how much they spend.

I no longer run events here on boards but through meetups (meetups in Cork) but if you have some suggestions for free events then I'll gladly add them to the calendar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I live and work in Waterford city, I go home to my parents place in cork every few weeks. Would it be an issue to attend these meetups in cork if I wasn't actually living and working there, its just that a lot of my friends have settled down and it can get quite boring at the weekends , I have looked into meetup.com in Waterford but the choice is very limited to say the least.

Advertisement