Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Heater Help!

Options
  • 17-01-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

5ZY7Y7sHi all!

I've recently moved in to an aprtment with Storage heaters and they only seem to come on at 10/11pm at night. Is there a way to make the come on earlier in the evening?

I've attached a pic of the control unit on the fuse board but i've no clue how to use it. Any help is appreciated!
    http://imgur.com/5ZY7Y7s
    5ZY7Y7s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Raikage wrote: »
    5ZY7Y7sHi all!

I've recently moved in to an aprtment with Storage heaters and they only seem to come on at 10/11pm at night. Is there a way to make the come on earlier in the evening?

I've attached a pic of the control unit on the fuse board but i've no clue how to use it. Any help is appreciated!
    http://imgur.com/5ZY7Y7s
    5ZY7Y7s

if you search the forum for devireg
    you'll find plenty of posts on how to adjust it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

No they are brought on by the ESB time Clock at a lower rate per unit of electricity 11-7.00 or 12 -8 depending on if we are in winter or smmer time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Same boat,they seem to be pumping heat during the day when out and have no heat after 5 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Guys the way these are designed to work is that they come on at 10/11pm until early morning and heat up a load of blocks inside them which store the heat for use the following day.

There are usually 2 controls on any I have seen.

Output and input or sometimes they might be called boost and input.

The Input is the amount of heat input into these heat storage blocks, the higher you set this the greater amount of heat will be available to release the next day. However the higher you set it the more electricity it will take to heat it that much so you must find a balance depending on weather conditions etc.

The output is basically the rate at which it releases this stored energy. When the heater is on from 10/11pm onwards you can set this to whatever suits you depending on if your using the room or not. You must understand that generally if you have the output turned up full all night it wont be able to store much energy and will release most of it immediately, heating the room until it turns off in the early morning.
    What most people do is depending on room usage, if your using the room turn the boost up to suit yourself, if not using the room or you are warm enough keep the boost/input turned right down.

If you have enough input and keep the output/boost low it should release its heat gradually throughout the day and still allow you to come home and turn up the output/boost for an extra release of heat before they come on again that night.

All this being said, in a poorly insulated or draughty home these heaters aren't great and you could spend a fortune using them. In a well insulated home or apartment they can work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

sasta le wrote: »
    Same boat,they seem to be pumping heat during the day when out and have no heat after 5 pm.

Read my above post but you have either.

1. The input too low or
    2. The output left too high during the day.

Or a combination of the above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement