Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Cyclist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Those muppets are everywhere, I asked a guy all dressed in black one day what all his gear and his fancy racing type bike cost, he replied €3,000, gee I said sitting on my 25yo yoke that I got for €10, for another €30 you could have got a few lights and a high vis jacket to make you visible, he didn't seem to get what I was saying.
    Boo to the stupid bitch that knocked me off my bike and said she didn't see me with helmet and bike lights and highvis jacket or the stop sign on Tory Top Rd. at 7am recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

aujopimur wrote: »
    Those muppets are everywhere, I asked a guy all dressed in black one day what all his gear and his fancy racing type bike cost, he replied €3,000, gee I said sitting on my 25yo yoke that I got for €10, for another €30 you could have got a few lights and a high vis jacket to make you visible, he didn't seem to get what I was saying.
    Boo to the stupid bitch that knocked me off my bike and said she didn't see me with helmet and bike lights and highvis jacket or the stop sign on Tory Top Rd. at 7am recently.

One day, or one night? :p

I think there are two types of cyclists who give other cyclists a bad rep:

The ones who are actual cyclists, who are out training and whose skills are quote good, but who think the regular rules of the road can be bypassed.

And the ones who are like pedestrians on wheels - using footpaths, cycle lanes the wrong way, no idea how to take an appropriate position on the road at junctions, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Very good tips there. Cyclists need to be much more assertive while at the same time more aware of the needs of others. Most drivers are very good but there are a minority who can't handle cyclists at all. The are usually very poor drivers.

Malari wrote: »
    One day, or one night? :p

I think there are two types of cyclists who give other cyclists a bad rep:

The ones who are actual cyclists, who are out training and whose skills are quote good, but who think the regular rules of the road can be bypassed.

And the ones who are like pedestrians on wheels - using footpaths, cycle lanes the wrong way, no idea how to take an appropriate position on the road at junctions, etc.
    Sorry should have said dark evening.

I find Cork drivers very courteous, both to motorists and cyclists, I'm speaking as both.
    Cyclists in general are badly behaved, they do not realise their vulnerability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

It's kind of like the people that pay out €30,000, €40,000, or even €50,000 plus for a car, and can't afford to pay out an extra €100 or so for a bluetooth hands free set.

Joke like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh I hope you were not hurt when they hit you..Sounds like you had all you needed to be visable..

I agree some of those training cyclist are mad but all my incidents on roads are just plain ignorant male ones sorry not being sexist but there are two in particular that bug the crap out of me.. they are waiting or asking for an accident to happen.

There is a loverly page on faceboon Wiley Wheeler if anyone is interested. Kinda something to do with the council but they know what they are talking about and are quite nice.. Went on a cycle day with them once and they show you how to behave on the roads and all that goes..

Pretty good advice but this is bizarre:

If, for example, you are approaching a set of lights and there are a few cars already there waiting for the green light. Instinctively, I would overtake on the left, often in a narrow cycle lane, to get to the front of the queue. However, if the lights turn green during this, then I have not put myself in a good position. Also, a car driver is trained to look to the right for people overtaking. This is a safer place to be. In general when overtaking traffic you should always do it on the right. You never know when a car is going to turn left into your path without looking.

Tell me what happens if the lights change when you are overtaking on the right? You're stuck in the middle of the road - not a good place to be at all.

Far more sensible to overtake on the left, always being aware that the lights may change at any time and you don't want to be half way along a large vehicle (for example) when they do.

On a 20min drive this afternoon I saw 5 cyclists, all adults, 3 were on footpaths, one was cycling against the flow of traffic with a cycle lane on the opposite side, only one wore a hivis, none had helmets, even though it was still bright, none had lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

On a 20min drive this afternoon I saw 5 cyclists, all adults, 3 were on footpaths, one was cycling against the flow of traffic with a cycle lane on the opposite side, only one wore a hivis, none had helmets, even though it was still bright, none had lights.

There is no legal obligation to wear hi-vis nor to wear a helmet and lights are only required when it is dark.

Nor is there any legal obligation to use cycle lanes.

Cycling on footpaths has become a legal gray area as some councils persist in providing shared paths for cyclists and pedestrians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

evilivor wrote: »
    There is no legal obligation to wear hi-vis nor to wear a helmet and lights are only required when it is dark.

Cycling on footpaths has become a legal gray area as some councils persist in providing shared paths for cyclists and pedestrians.

Maybe there is no legal obligation, but any cnut who doesn't is a cnut in my book. The amount of times I've come way too close to people on my motorbike down by the Marina who wear all black. Then it's my fault of they get hit, despite them being basically unseeable until I'm within 30 feet.

Hi-vis costs fcuk all, and in fact, you can get them free a lot of the time. No excuse not to wear it at night. And in my experience the vast majority of cyclists don't wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Legal obligations or not, it's still a bit stupid not to be in a hi vis vest and helmet, and cycling on the path is just dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pretty good advice but this is bizarre:

If, for example, you are approaching a set of lights and there are a few cars already there waiting for the green light. Instinctively, I would overtake on the left, often in a narrow cycle lane, to get to the front of the queue. However, if the lights turn green during this, then I have not put myself in a good position. Also, a car driver is trained to look to the right for people overtaking. This is a safer place to be. In general when overtaking traffic you should always do it on the right. You never know when a car is going to turn left into your path without looking.

Tell me what happens if the lights change when you are overtaking on the right? You're stuck in the middle of the road - not a good place to be at all.

Far more sensible to overtake on the left, always being aware that the lights may change at any time and you don't want to be half way along a large vehicle (for example) when they do.

As a Motorcyclist, car driver, van driver and cyclist... I disagree. Vans in particular can see bog all to the left of them. You most certainly want to be on the right at intersections.

On a bike or motorbike, if I am coming up the side of a car or anything else, i make sure I can see the driver in their mirror. If i can see them, they can see me. Try it for a few days. Way easier to do it on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Cycling on the foothpath is dangerous, but at the same time the council over the years has created a fractured system where there are sections of shared foothpath cycle lanes, sections of on road cycle lanes, sections with no cycle lanes.

Sometimes all the above can occur within a few hundred metres with no real continuity between sections, a great example would be to look at the setup around the CUH and Wilton shopping centre/sarsfield road.

Badly thought out half assed attempts, which cant be utilised properly because they are so fractured, many with no provision for cyclists at dangerous junctions.

To be honest if you had kids today how safe would you feel teaching them to cycle on the road to school each morning.

I cycle most days and in general driver behaviour is decent, with only a minority being bad, and the bad ones are usually the crap drivers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

it is a shame that there isn't regarding the lights and the hi vis... It makes sense, it is like when you are out walking late at night on a country road if you want to be seen and be responsible where bright clothes...

I must remember to bring my camera out and send some photos to the council of their new fab road layout up by the silver quay where they have now just provided more parking for the people going to the pub and matches with the new cycle lane bad form people bad form..It is a shame that they well like that are trying to put the cycle lanes in and make it more easier for people to do but as you say they are thinking sure well feck a cycle lane in there and just put a cross over for the cars or something they aren't thinking about it properly.

If you're a cyclist with that attitude, you must be missing the self preservation gene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Milly, that area by the silver quay has been used every day since day one as a car park. People even park their cars there in the cycle lane for the day and head off into town on the bus. I've had to call the traffic warden twice near there, over people parking across driveways on churchyard lane and blocking me into my relatives house. They walk into the bookies and tell the punters they will be issuing tickets in ten minutes.... Five minutes later the double yellows and cycle lane is cleared. 30 minutes later it is full of parked cars again. City council doesn't give a flying f about that area. As long as the "most intelligent traffic lights" are still sucking power and generating fumes, they are delighted with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Milly33 wrote: »
    it is a shame that there isn't regarding the lights and the hi vis... It makes sense, it is like when you are out walking late at night on a country road if you want to be seen and be responsible where bright clothes...

There is, by law all bikes need a working front and rear light and it would be better if this existing law was enforced rather than people wearing a yellow jacket thinking they'll be grand. Hi vis is a reactive rather than proactive safety measure and I think there is too much emphasis put on it's value as it's a cheaper solution than a good lightset. No substitute for a bit of cop on and patience from all road users though and in general I find Cork excellent in this regard. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Cork in my driving experience has the best relationship between drivers and cars. I've meet a few idiots cycling but meet a good few more idiots behind the wheel of a car.

While driving last summer I meet cyclists with sticks protruding from their bikes to ensure people gave them space while overtaking and motorists tailgating cyclists very badly and not something I see around here. Compared to other counties drivers here from my experience tend to give more space and cyclists tend to keep in left and don't cycle two abreast.

Days 298 wrote: »
    Compared to other counties drivers here from my experience tend to give more space and cyclists tend to keep in left and don't cycle two abreast.

Cyclists are as entitled to use the road as any one else and don't need to keep to the left. Cyclists are also perfectly free to cycle two abreast. In fact it's generally safer for them to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

..Cyclists are also perfectly free to cycle two abreast. In fact it's generally safer for them to do so.

really? Are they entitled to do that? Where does it say that? Just wondering.

Cyclists are as entitled to use the road as any one else and don't need to keep to the left. Cyclists are also perfectly free to cycle two abreast. In fact it's generally safer for them to do so.

Just because they are entitled to do it doesn't mean its considerate. Thankfully never witnessed it in Cork City.

I'm also entitled to not leave adequate room for cyclists to undertake me. Cork roads from my experience are more considerate than other counties.

I've no interest arguing with you. I've read the cycling forum on here and it's not a welcoming or nice place for the guy who is in the car.

Give and take. Want cars to give you room. Keep reasonable left and allow them to pass. Cars want cyclists to stay in left then they need to give then room. Cork is good in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

It's easy to spot the posts by people who have experience cycling and who have never cycled with traffic. Don't know why this thread is here/still open tbh.

Just because they are entitled to do it doesn't mean its considerate. Thankfully never witnessed it in Cork City.

I'm also entitled to not leave adequate room for cyclists to undertake me. Cork roads from my experience are more considerate than other counties.

I've no interest arguing with you. I've read the cycling forum on here and it's not a welcoming or nice place for the guy who is in the car.

Give and take. Want cars to give you room. Keep reasonable left and allow them to pass. Cars want cyclists to stay in left then they need to give then room. Cork is good in this regard.

Drivers have no more over-taking or road positioning rights than a cyclist does - cyclists do not have to be squashed in against the road’s left-hand edge, fearing for their lives for every moment.

The law changes in 2012 further enshrined rights to cycle two abreast while, thankfully, removing the need to use cycle lanes though the department however declined to implement a legal minimum passing distance of 1.5m when a motorist is overtaking a cyclist.

Personally I hate cyclists who break red lights, don't indicate where they are turning, wear earphones and yet believe a helmet will save them.

Then again, I also hate drivers who break red lights, don't indicate where they are turning, talk on the phone and yet who believe being in a big metal box will save them even though they may kill others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 CAUN

As a cyclist who commutes 30 mins to work, the biggest pain in the arse is the disappearing cycle lanes. One minute I'm nice and safe in the cycling lane, the next minute it disappears and reappears on the other side of the road 400 meters ahead. Cnuts. I've never had a problem with drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

really? Are they entitled to do that? Where does it say that? Just wondering.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1964/en/si/0294.html

Driving two abreast
    29.—(1) A pedal cyclist shall not, save when overtaking other pedal cyclists (and then only if to do so will not endanger other traffic or pedestrians) drive a pedal cycle on a roadway in such a manner as to result in more than two pedal cycles driving abreast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

J

Why allow them to pass if its not safe? Do you pull over for the other traffic behind you to let them pass? I'd bet they'd love if you did!

Sometimes when I'm in traffic I'm in my car, sometimes I'm on my bike. I'm regarded under law as a road user, and am expected to obey the law. get on my moobs big time to watch cyclists cycle on paths, jump red light etc. Around UCC at night the amount of cyclists without lights is a disgrace

Drivers have no more over-taking or road positioning rights than a cyclist does - cyclists do not have to be squashed in against the road’s left-hand edge, fearing for their lives for every moment.

The law changes in 2012 further enshrined rights to cycle two abreast while, thankfully, removing the need to use cycle lanes though the department however declined to implement a legal minimum passing distance of 1.5m when a motorist is overtaking a cyclist.

Personally I hate cyclists who break red lights, don't indicate where they are turning, wear earphones and yet believe a helmet will save them.

Then again, I also hate drivers who break red lights, don't indicate where they are turning, talk on the phone and yet who believe being in a big metal box will save them even though they may kill others.
    Never said they should. No one should fear for their lives in the road. I've have zero problem with cyclists. The more the merrier. If it gets drivers to cop on and use their indicators, check their blind spots and mirrors and have a general sense of whats around them. I've never had a problem with a cyclist ever although I meet a contra flow one today by the Elision today but that's an exception. And I believe a cyclist has never had a problem with me. I keep back and overtake when safe if I can't no biggie I wait. Every road user should be courteous to one another.

Can't we all just get along :pac:?

And by left I mean centre left not up against the curb...

Stay safe. I've no intention of endangering my life or a cyclist for the sake of meeting them at the next lights..

Why allow them to pass if its not safe? Do you pull over for the other traffic behind you to let them pass? I'd bet they'd love if you did!

Sometimes when I'm in traffic I'm in my car, sometimes I'm on my bike. I'm regarded under law as a road user, and am expected to obey the law. get on my moobs big time to watch cyclists cycle on paths, jump red light etc. Around UCC at night the amount of cyclists without lights is a disgrace
    God I've really messed up what I meant here or everyone is reading in between the lines. Hope my post cleared it up.

Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Around UCC at night the amount of cyclists without lights is a disgrace

I have to admit I'm guilty of this myself at the moment, of only because I literally just got my bike. I do of course have a hi vis vest on, which I was really really surprised to see a compete lack of people wearing.

Tonight was my first cycle around the city in donkeys years, but I saw at least 10 people out without hi vis vests, going straight through junctions without stopping and going up on the path, it was bonkers.

Advertisement