Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Cyclist

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm guilty of this myself at the moment, of only because I literally just got my bike. I do of course have a hi vis vest on, which I was really really surprised to see a compete lack of people wearing.

Tonight was my first cycle around the city in donkeys years, but I saw at least 10 people out without hi vis vests, going straight through junctions without stopping and going up on the path, it was bonkers.

Dennehy's cross is a pantomine.
    Get onto the RSA facebook, they were giving out free (better than none) lights, hi-viz rucksack covers etc.. Hi viz isnt as good as decent lights, but its better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm guilty of this myself at the moment, of only because I literally just got my bike. I do of course have a hi vis vest on, which I was really really surprised to see a compete lack of people wearing.

Tonight was my first cycle around the city in donkeys years, but I saw at least 10 people out without hi vis vests, going straight through junctions without stopping and going up on the path, it was bonkers.

Only met two cyclists on my spin home tonight, one I could barely see on the mardyke and one with some excellent lights on the lee road, I was having problems with my own rear light but have a couple of them so not a major worry. Get some lights, hi vis is worthless on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

And quite a lot of what people think is hi vis is actually just fluorescent yellow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Get onto the RSA facebook, they were giving out free (better than none) lights, hi-viz rucksack covers etc.. Hi viz isnt as good as decent lights, but its better than nothing.

Cheers to ye all. I'll check out the RSA page and see about getting the lights. Had a quick glance and couldn't see it, but I'll have a proper look in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I've found it safer walking to work rather than cycling, even though I've to cross the road 4 times. You might be lit up like a Xmas tree on the bike, but there's always some bozo who cuts in front of you to make a left turn.
    In general, the layout of roads is ill thought out, to put it mildly...the shared Pairc Ui Caoimh (sp?) - Mahon walk/cycleway is a disaster waiting to happen, lycra clad buffoons whizzing about with families, loose dogs and assorted buggies all over the place at busy times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

a pantomine is a generous assessment! how there are not more accidents there i do not know???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

As a cyclist I would ask other cyclists to
    1. obey traffic lights (they are there for a reason)
    2. Get off the footpaths (they are for feet) clue in the name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

As a cyclist I would ask motorists to
    2. Get off the cycle lanes (they are for cycles) clue in the name

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Lots of 'stealth' cyclists around UCC. Uniform: Black trousers. Black hoodie, hood pulled up. Black bike. Headphones. No lights. No reflectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Lots of 'stealth' cyclists around UCC. Uniform: Black trousers. Black hoodie, hood pulled up. Black bike. Headphones. No lights. No reflectors.

Almost collided with one recently. I would add no common sense to the description above. I was turning right onto Sharman Crawford St from Proby's Quay when this idiot sailed through the red lights and turned right. didn't seem to think that being invisible if you are going to go through red lights and the wrong way onto a one way street in the centre of the lane was a bad idea. He swerved and cycled on but I doubt that he learned any lessons.

I dunno, in my day the majority of students walked everywhere, I knew a handful who drove and a handful who cycled. I don't think that people could afford bikes, never mind cars. I really do think that it boils down to a lack of education and common sense. I also fully believe that these are the fools that will hop into a car and drive away on their own after only a few lessons, probably with the same cavalier attitude to being lit up, obeying rules and respecting other road users. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Dbu wrote: »
    As a cyclist I would ask other cyclists to
    2. Get off the footpaths (they are for feet) clue in the name

Would be nice if all cyclists would obey the rules in regards to one way streets also.

While Cork has a lot of on way streets, it doesn't mean cyclists can just disregard the rules to get somewhere quicker.

Advertisement