Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meatballs without a tomato sauce

Options
  • 17-01-2014 2:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm not mad about tomato sauces. I'd even go so far as to say I don't like them. I'm planning on making meatballs tomorrow, and I'll make a tomato sauce for them if I have to, but I wonder if anyone has any different ideas? Something like the Ikea 'gravy' would be great :D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I like the sound of this from the Hairy Bikers':
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/meatballs_in_gravy_04987

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Swedish blue cheese cream sauce (ädelost sås). Just melt some blue cheese into some light cream, season with pepper, simples.

Our canteen in work do them in peppercorn sauce (they serve them with rice) and they are bloody gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Mushrooms?

Fry some sliced mushrooms in a little butter, small batches at a time, then put mushrooms back in the pan, pour in some cream and lots of chopped marjoram. Season to taste. Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

my missus makes a nice cream sauce with them, very tasty.

something like this, but not exactly hers has dill in it.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/25402/spiced+meatballs+in+cream+sauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

We do them in the oven and serve with curry sauce.

But pepper sauce and meatballs is unreal too.

sullivlo wrote: »
    We do them in the oven and serve with curry sauce.

this. my mouth just had a fit.

any curry sauce or do you have a recipe? Wont be able to make them til sunday. damn

I have a food boner right now for meatballs in curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

If I can boldly interject to tell you I had the most amazing meatball dish the other night.

They tasted like curry but they weren't in a curry sauce; the mince was flavoured with garam masala, paprika, curry powder, black pepper, and mixed with an egg, breadcrumbs etc.

I *did* do them in a tomato sauce but because they had a curry taste, you could nearly serve them in a curry sauce and serve on a naan bread.

Here's the recipe I used. They were delicious: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3428/spicy-meatballs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Another vote for a creamy pepper sauce.

I had meatballs in the friends house served in a sauce that was creamy and heavy on black pepper.

I am not sure of the recipe. It tasted like a basic sauce, thickened with a bit of roux, with some cream added and very heavy on black pepper. As another poster has said, mushrooms would go very well with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Must say I LOVE this recipe by Nigel Slater..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/porkpattieswithancho_92529

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never even thought of having meatballs in anything but tomato sauce. Now I want to try all of the above :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Some brilliant ideas here! I can't wait to try them, especially the mushrooms and the pepper sauce. I shall report back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

If it is my mushroom thing you are talking about, it is a great easy sauce for anything really - you can use it on pasta or pour it over a burger or with steaks or chicken - it is a great little all rounder. It is important to season it well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

An incredibly easy sauce for savoury meatballs is the following:

Make up just under a half pint of stock with some boiling water and a beef Oxo cube and add it to a saucepan. Add a healthy splash of cream (as much as you fancy) and a grind of salt and black pepper.

To thicken, take a teaspoon of cornflour and mix with a little cold water until smooth. Stir into the stock and cream and heat gently until thickened.

This is incredibly delicious and incredibly simple.

If you like, you can fry some thinly sliced mushrooms and a little garlic and then stir these into the sauce for the world's easiest mushroom sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I did a meatballs in a bbq sauce once. Was bloody lush. Totally forgot about it. Will did it out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I always do meatballs in tomato sauce. I am definitely going to try some of these suggestions, I especially like the mushroom and the pepper sauce yummmm. Thanks

have my meatballs in the slow cooker now with a curry sauce. cant wait.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

First attempt tonight! I pretty much combined Animord's and dipdip's guidelines and made a gorgeous creamy mushroom sauce. It was so nice! So, so much nicer than tomato sauce.

I've enough mushroom sauce left over to do for tomorrow, so it'll be the next time around that I try the pepper sauce. I anticipate deliciousness there too :).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Has anyone mentioned using a more reduced French onion soup? Then add some grated cheese on top?

Or stout/dark ale, creme fraiche and parsley?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Has anyone mentioned using a more reduced French onion soup? Then add some grated cheese on top?

This. I usually use this in a creamy saucy to add that tang.

• Advertisement

french onion soup already has grated cheese on it. cant go wrong with double cheese on anything tho imho

Advertisement