Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big 125's

• 17-01-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I'm getting my Learner Permit in 2 weeks and had some queries around bike types.
    I'm actually covered on all bikes(A1,A etc) but want to start off on a 125.

My only concern is some of them seem are quite small and I'm 6'2 so don't want my knees at the handlebars!

If anyone has suggestions on some larger 125's that'd be great.

Thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I wouldn't go for a 125 if you already have the A licence.

You'll be bored of it in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

As above I wouldn't.

The hyasung gt is a large one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

jbdub wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm getting my Learner Permit in 2 weeks and had some queries around bike types.
    I'm actually covered on all bikes(A1,A etc) but want to start off on a 125.

My only concern is some of them seem are quite small and I'm 6'2 so don't want my knees at the handlebars!

If anyone has suggestions on some larger 125's that'd be great.

Thanks,
    J

Why do you want to start off on a 125? Thats crazy talk man.....
    There is more power in a budgies fart

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

I'm getting a lot of pushback on the 125! I suppose I just wanted to start with something low power while I'm learning. I have the Car and the Bike is just going to be for commuting and short distances.
    I'm open to other options though

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you really want to try a 125 for size, try and find a Varadero 125 - it's about the biggest there is, really.

If that doesn't work for you, by all means look further - but at least you'd have an idea.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

And I will shortly be selling my 125 Varadero, just saying................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you really want to try a 125 for size, try and find a Varadero 125 - it's about the biggest there is, really.

If that doesn't work for you, by all means look further - but at least you'd have in idea.

Varedo is a great starter, big for a 125!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I know most are against the idea of a 125, but I say go for the Varadero and sell it in June. They are a great 125 and sell faster than anything. Great inexpensive run around to learn on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Had a Varadero myself, great first bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Vara was my first bike too, slow as fu*k but nice ride and enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Doylers wrote: »
    Vara was my first bike too, slow as fu*k but nice ride and enjoyed it

As 125's go, it's actually not all that slow I found. Could get it to 120 at a push. But went to 100kmh easy enough.... as long as there were no uphills :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

As 125's go, it's actually not all that slow I found. Could get it to 120 at a push. But went to 100kmh easy enough.... as long as there were no uphills :pac:

Ah yeah them hills :DI used to travel from waterford city to dungarvan for work, It wouldnt go over 100 and on the little hills happened slowed down to like 80:P Had a leak in the exhaust so that could have effected it.

Oh the reminds me OP if you go for a vara, give the underside of the exhaust a good looking they rust there alot especially on the bends, expensive to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

lostboy75 wrote: »
    And I will shortly be selling my 125 Varadero, just saying................
    The real question is how long did you last on it? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I wouldn't recommend going lower that 250

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

corkgsxr wrote: »
    As above I wouldn't.

The hyasung gt is a large one

Don't get a hyosung gt250r whatever you do.
    I had mine for only a few months and the thing just destroyed itself from the inside out and apparently it's not that rare for them to do it either. try something like a hornet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

FatherLen wrote: »
    Don't get a hyosung
    Simples.

Guy I know through work loves his one. But then I've done more miles this week than he's done in the past three years. Other than him I've never heard a good word said about them.

F650GS would be what I'd go for OP. But the Varadero route isn't a bad one either, just means longer til you pass your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jbdub wrote: »
    I'm getting a lot of pushback on the 125! I suppose I just wanted to start with something low power while I'm learning. I have the Car and the Bike is just going to be for commuting and short distances.
    I'm open to other options though

Thanks

Get a bike bigger than a 125. You can go too fast into a corner on a moped, it's proper training that'll keep you safe not the power of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

I think a Hornet 250 would be a little small if you're tall.

Aren't the Honda CBFs meant to be big?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I had the same idea of starting out on a low powered bike back in March, after doing the IBT on a 600 I ended up going straight for a Bandit 650. Like Del says above, it's proper training not the size of the bike you've to worry about.

During the IBT I had a go on a 125, a 250 and then the 600. The other 2 just felt far too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. Definately a lot good options listed, I have the IBT in a few weeks so will try out the different engine sizes then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

bluefinger wrote: »
    The real question is how long did you last on it? :-)

had it a year and a half, will put you down as interested as well ;-)

that said, I would love for the Varadero to be more powerful, maybe a 250 or so (and no not the 1000), if it was I would be keeping it. it has enough power 90% of the time for most people. if your mainly city commuting, happy days on it, its a big bike, with good visibility and damn comfortable.
    it is heavy and poorish top speed, as was mentioned previously it can do the 100kph, though its much more comfortable with 90.
    almost all my riding is not in cities or built up areas so that has decided me in changing, that and have it the 1.5 years now

Lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

had it a year and a half, will put you down as interested as well ;-)

that said, I would love for the Varadero to be more powerful, maybe a 250 or so (and no not the 1000), if it was I would be keeping it. it has enough power 90% of the time for most people. if your mainly city commuting, happy days on it, its a big bike, with good visibility and damn comfortable.
    it is heavy and poorish top speed, as was mentioned previously it can do the 100kph, though its much more comfortable with 90.
    almost all my riding is not in cities or built up areas so that has decided me in changing, that and have it the 1.5 years now

Lost

I'll pass ;-) had a two fifty for about a year and though it was great to learn on I couldn't wait to go bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lego101

I have a YZF 125 and I'm 6 foot tall and it feels perfect! mine had been lowered an inch or two aswell. Starting off with low power isn't a bad idea, if your not used to bikes even a 125 feels powerful! Great on fuel too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I'm 6"3 and I like my ninja 250cc a lot,
    I commute clane to town on it everyday.
    It is solid, cheap to run and and quicker than i require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

that said, I would love for the Varadero to be more powerful, maybe a 250 or so

^^^^this.

I even thought about shoe-horning a bigger engine into one a few years ago. A 250-400cc version of it would be brilliant.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

M450 wrote: »
    I had the same idea of starting out on a low powered bike back in March, after doing the IBT on a 600 I ended up going straight for a Bandit 650. Like Del says above, it's proper training not the size of the bike you've to worry about.

During the IBT I had a go on a 125, a 250 and then the 600. The other 2 just felt far too small.

i have a 250 hornet and a fazer 600 both good starter bikes..pics

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GunnerDown

Does anyone know if yoo have a learner permit cat A and IBT Cat A can you drive biiger bikes or are we restricted to 125. Varadero are almost impossible to buy also i went to look at 2 and they are fabulous but no body want to part the two i looked at were older and well used i drive a yamaha xmax 125 cause insurance Is allot cheaper for your first year but mine is up for renewal so if i can with my license Ill get bigger bike otherwise i'm 6'1 and ive tried yamaha yzf 125 looks great shes no where near a bigger bike but to start on would tick allot the boxs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GunnerDown wrote: »
    Does anyone know if yoo have a learner permit cat A and IBT Cat A can you drive biiger bikes or are we restricted to 125. Varadero are almost impossible to buy also i went to look at 2 and they are fabulous but no body want to part the two i looked at were older and well used i drive a yamaha xmax 125 cause insurance Is allot cheaper for your first year but mine is up for renewal so if i can with my license Ill get bigger bike otherwise i'm 6'1 and ive tried yamaha yzf 125 looks great shes no where near a bigger bike but to start on would tick allot the boxs

You can ride anything you can afford to insure with an A permit, no point in restricting yourself to bikes you can't do the test on.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I'd agree with the lads and recommend going bigger than a 125 if you can. I have my yzf r125 and I love it, can get it to 134km/h, which is quick enough for a little 125, but I've had it almost a year now and am counting the days until October when my restriction is up and I can go out on the R6. It's a great bike, but nothing more depressing than when you start looking for more gears and there are none left.

What about buying a bigger bike and getting it restricted if you're worried about having too much power at the start?

• Advertisement
Advertisement