Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swansea v Spurs

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Chelsea 1-0 up now. Hopefully that'll stay that way. Could take the wind out of uniteds sails a little bit.

After that Liverpool game I really thought we'd be so far out of it by now. 8 points behind the leaders is far from a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

3 nil now. Think United are in real trouble for top 4 now. It's one thing trying to haul back one team but they have us, Liverpool and Everton a good bit ahead of them with no signs of a dip in form for any of the three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Missed the game. How good were we? 3-1 away is a great result for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Best performance yet under TS. We could have have 2 or 3 more. Disappointed to concede, a clean sheet away from home would have been nice. The defensive frailties are still there for all to see. (i.e. Dawson!)

Performance v City will tell a lot re: Sherwood. Don't think he's got the tactical nous to compete with Pelligrini so its gonna take some serious motivation from him to get our lads to outplay them. We're generally abit more nervous defensively at home so I can't see anything other than a City win by 2 goals but the signs are positive and we are definitely improving and you never know, if Devo starts the match thread we might even pull of a shock result!:D

I think Sherwood has earned a free pass at whatever happens in the Man City game. They are thumping everyone at the moment so a positive performance with the hope of a result of any kind would be acceptable.

Very few managers win 5 of their first 6 league games. Very few win 5/6 even when they aren't new either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

slegs wrote: »
    3 nil now. Think United are in real trouble for top 4 now. It's one thing trying to haul back one team but they have us, Liverpool and Everton a good bit ahead of them with no signs of a dip in form for any of the three

United of old would have it in them to go 10 game winning run but I don't see it anymore. If Liverpool don't finish 4th ill eat my hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Expecting City to win. I just hope they don't destroy us and shatter our confidence.

ziedth wrote: »
    United of old would have it in them to go 10 game winning run but I don't see it anymore. If Liverpool don't finish 4th ill eat my hat.

Our away game at Liverpool a few weeks before end of season could be the big one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

United were toothless v Chelsea, without Rooney and RVP they don't look dangerous at all. Their midfield and defence is pretty weak.

Did I hear correctly, that was our fifth away win on the trot, something like a 50yr record?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

United were toothless v Chelsea, without Rooney and RVP they don't look dangerous at all. Their midfield and defence is pretty weak.

Did I hear correctly, that was our fifth away win on the trot, something like a 50yr record?

Some going alright, playing well at the minute, long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Ya, they talked about it before the game. 5 away wins in a row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Do we still have the best away record in the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Do we still have the best away record in the league?

Thought the sky boys said 2nd best after the United game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I don't know how to call the City game. They aren't great on the road and we're not great at home. Hopefully Vertonghen and Sandro are back by then because we really need Sandro's break-up play and Vertonghen's defensive organisation for that game.

As for today, we looked good in spells against a poor team. In the first half we gave them too much time in midfield. Thankfully we only restricted Bony and Shelvey to shots outside the box, but any team in the top seven has players to easily unlock our defence given that much time in midfield (Ozil, Silva, Hazard et. al.)

The positives. Eriksen is growing in confidence and showing his true colours, he's loving the extra freedom being given to him by TS. Adebayor is in the mood. We're back to the old Tottenham Way, breaking at speed and playing exciting football - long may it continue. Our strength and depth will be tested and I think we have the quality to be competing with the big boys come the end of the season!

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Unfortunately and fortunately, i dont think i'll be doing the City thread as i am heading over to it. Getting confused and i dont want to jinx the run im on by starting a thread that i dont think we'll win.:rolleyes:
    Have to see how it goes over the coming days.:eek:

I have to hand it to TS, Bentaleb looks a triffic player!

"Bentaleb has completed 91% overall of his passes since coming into the first team squad, having completed 199 passes for Spurs now in just two games."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

"Bentaleb has completed 91% overall of his passes since coming into the first team squad, having completed 199 passes for Spurs now in just two games."

Yeah, looks like a true Modric replacement in the making

This is all very good, but if we start with Bentaleb and Dembele against City, I'd be very concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

This is all very good, but if we start with Bentaleb and Dembele against City, I'd be very concerned.

Agreed, but which one do you drop? On form Bentaleb edges Dembele but image Bentaleb up against Toure and Co.

• Advertisement

Paulinho and Sandro played when they thrashed us 6-0?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Paulinho and Sandro played when they thrashed us 6-0?

I guess the argument could be that they played in AVB's team back then. Paulinho had a cracking game before he got injured but I don't think I'd dismantle a good thing just yet.

I'd probably play Sandro, Dembele and Bentaleb myself. Same team as Swansea with Chadli replaced by Sandro. I'd definitely keep Soldado on the bench for the game thats for sure.

irishmover wrote: »
    I guess the argument could be that they played in AVB's team back then. Paulinho had a cracking game before he got injured but I don't think I'd dismantle a good thing just yet.

I'd probably play Sandro, Dembele and Bentaleb myself. Same team as Swansea with Chadli replaced by Sandro. I'd definitely keep Soldado on the bench for the game thats for sure.

I'd happily go with that trio. Yaya is so darn difficult to stop, whoever lines up is in for a war. Cardiff played really well against City, it was 2-1 for quite sometime, and they had chances also.

Demichelis was caught on numerous times, Zabaleta lacks pace. Kompany really holds things together at the back for them. Ade needs to continue his rich form, if he has an off day, then we'll struggle.

Dawson would be my main concern. Some of his antics against Swansea were highly worrying. If we gift City a goal or two then they'll crucify us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I'd happily go with that trio. Yaya is so darn difficult to stop, whoever lines up is in for a war. Cardiff played really well against City, it was 2-1 for quite sometime, and they had chances also.

Demichelis was caught on numerous times, Zabaleta lacks pace. Kompany really holds things together at the back for them. Ade needs to continue his rich form, if he has an off day, then we'll struggle.

Dawson would be my main concern. Some of his antics against Swansea were highly worrying. If we gift City a goal or two then they'll crucify us.

Good point. I'd drop Dawson for Vertonghen if he was fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only saw a bit of yesterdays game and again on match on the day. Dont know how ref did not give a peno against Dawson, very lucky there. Dawson seems off the pace and surely Vertongan will come in when fit. How would Vlad and Verts work out as Spurs 2 CBs?????. They would be good going forward anyway:D
    Erikson also seems to be coimg on a bit as well over the last few games.
    City is the big tester I suppose although in fairness to Sherwood he has done wonders. A win agains City would be a bridge to far though I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I have to say, I thought you guys were pretty impressive. Adebayor is great as a target man, but he's also quality with ball at feet. Now he's got a few games under his belt, he has started to build up an understanding with the players around him and he's bringing the rest of the players into the attack much better rather than trying to do it all himself. Bentaleb as highlighted was excellent, it's obviously very early days, but I was very impressed with his ball retention and ability to find space. Eriksen was very industrous and looks 10 times the player he did under AVB, I think it's clear to get the best out of him, you need to just give him creative licence to do what he wants. Finally, while I don't watch Spurs often, I thought Chadli had the best game I've seem him play for Spurs.

Only area I would have concern is with Dawson - for me, he is muck.

irishmover wrote: »

I'd go with this too.

Pack the midfield in order to stop Yaya Toure. Eriksen will drift in from the left and call Demichelis/Zabaleta all kinds of trouble and Lennon can skin Kolorov all day!

3-0 Spurs! :D

Eriksen will drift in from the left and call Demichelis/Zabaleta all kinds of trouble and Lennon can skin Kolorov all day!

Works both ways, Zabaleta will cause us all sorts of problems if Eriksen is drifting in and offering no protection to Rose.

Advertisement