Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know what the D (Dublin number) for county Cork Is?

Options
  • 17-01-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I need to know,

thank you o.o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

As for car registration plates? C

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oddballcat

Nah as in like i think for post or something. I got an employer asking me what my "Dublin Number" was in my location.
    but I'm in county cork and i really dont know how these things work. I think there is a D1 D2 D3 D4..etc tho. I don't know if that applies in my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

there's Cork 1, with is city center, north side, on the east it goes as far as the train station, not sure where it ends on west, similarly, there's C2, C3 and C4 at least

it's on some of the older street signs.

If I have to put anything, I use C 2014 on that space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Thats the first ive ever heard of that. Always thought it was cork city and cork county.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

There aren't any post codes in use generally in County or City.

There are some - but they are not generally known. The addresses go by local area instead, e.g. Bishopstown, Cork City or by townland for rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Bogger77 wrote: »
    there's Cork 1, with is city center, north side, on the east it goes as far as the train station, not sure where it ends on west, similarly, there's C2, C3 and C4 at least

it's on some of the older street signs.

If I have to put anything, I use C 2014 on that space

There is currently no postcodes for cork city or county.

infosys wrote: »
    There are - they just aren't generally used. There was another discussion thread on it here
    For postage, just 0000 or something - it's not anything to worry about.

Cork_girl wrote: »
    There are - they just aren't generally used. There was another discussion thread on it here
    For postage, just 0000 or something - it's not anything to worry about.

That is the internal an post system which is actually all over the country. A private post sorting system is not a post code which by definition must be public.

That is the internal an post system which is actually all over the country. A private post sorting system is not a post code which by definition must be public.

Nod and agree :D

Really

Wiki says different, and the signage is the same
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_postal_addresses#Cork_postal_districts

• Advertisement

That is a postal district, "but these are not encountered in postal addresses. Cork has four postal districts."

"In practice, these numbers are used only internally by An Post and rarely used on mail."

Dublin uses the districts in the address cork does not, which was the question posed in the OP. My statment still stands Cork does not have a postcode system, and the district system is only used internally in an post as far as Cork is concerned. I do not believe the "wiki" articles corrects in anyway my statment.

That is a postal district, "but these are not encountered in postal addresses. Cork has four postal districts."

"In practice, these numbers are used only internally by An Post and rarely used on mail."

Dublin uses the districts in the address cork does not, which was the question posed in the OP. My statment still stands Cork does not have a postcode system, and the district system is only used internally in an post as far as Cork is concerned. I do not believe the "wiki" articles corrects in anyway my statment.
    In reality, we're both correct.

Cork has equivalent numbers to Dublin, but they arent used much, but they do exist.

EOT

In reality, we're both correct.

Cork has equivalent numbers to Dublin, but they arent used much, but they do exist.

EOT

I specifically said cork does not have postcodes, I even said there is an internal system used by an post. A postcode is by it very nature used in an address. Both Dublin and cork where divided up in to postal districts in the early 20th C, but it was not till the 1960's that the district system in Dublin became a sort of postcode, that did not happen in cork, hence my statement. I never said the district system did not exist in fact I said there was an internal an post system, I simply said cork did not have a postcode, which it does not have. While Dublin does not have a postcode, due to its size the district system evolved to become a post code.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oddballcat

Thank you for all your help Lads x3
    I've asked my friend aswell, she's said that them numbered D's only apply in Dublin because it's its Districts o.o
    That's how employers know if yer from a lower or higher class area o_o

If that's the case then they must be very sneaky o.o....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be honest an employer who isn't aware that Cork (and every other county in the country) doesn't use the same D1/2/3/4 etc system as Dublin would set alarm bells ringing to me. The only exception would be if they were UK based where national postcodes are the norm.

This will change when the new Irish postcode system comes in but we're not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭west cork lad

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

If it's an online form I just use CORK. Most forms accept four characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    To be honest an employer who isn't aware that Cork (and every other county in the country) doesn't use the same D1/2/3/4 etc system as Dublin would set alarm bells ringing to me.

I have to disagree. My experience from when I lived there is that the Dubs think that Cork and other Irish cities are similar to Dublin, just on a fraction of the scale. And postcodes would be one of these examples.

Another example, though it has changed in the mobile phone era, is that a Dublin business giving out its phone number would just give the seven digits (i.e. omit the 01). There was the assumption that it would not be required/used.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Gautama wrote: »
    I have to disagree. My experience from when I lived there is that the Dubs think that Cork and other Irish cities are similar to Dublin, just on a fraction of the scale. And postcodes would be one of these examples.

Another example, though it has changed in the mobile phone era, is that a Dublin business giving out its phone number would just give the seven digits (i.e. omit the 01). There was the assumption that it would not be required/used.

I'm from Dublin myself and am in Cork a fair bit but I'd never consider it like Dublin but smaller. But then I've also lived outside Dublin previously and as such know that Dublin is the only one with local postcodes - but to be honest you'd want to never have sent a letter or parcel "down the country" not to know this.

Agree with you on the phone number part but like you say it's changed in the last 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Sure for large areas of the country, a letter would be addressed "Paddy Reilly, Townland, County X". Forget postcodes - there aren't even street names!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

4umbrellas wrote: »
    Sure for large areas of the country, a letter would be addressed "Paddy Reilly, Townland, County X". Forget postcodes - there aren't even street names!

And there could easily be 47 Paddy Reillys in Townland, County X which might explain why the post can be slow finding you. That Fresh fish postal delivery service was doomed from the get-go.

Whenever asked for a post code, I just say '90210'.

It works most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

none

Advertisement