Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nice getaway for valentines

Options
  • 17-01-2014 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hi lads, just wondering is there any place around kerry this time of year that would be nice to stay for valentines night? doesnt have to be a major town etc. just a nice quite place to get away from everything with nice some food
    preferably not too costly as im poor :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

cant go wrong with killarney!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I would do killarney its a nice town,why kerry

I would do killarney its a nice town,why kerry

why not? sure its KERRY!! :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im from kerry, we go out in killarney the whole time so i kind of want to give that a miss, was thinking maybe the sneem hotel, 2 nights in a suite for 179 (1 3 course dinner and breakfast both mornings) seems nice

l see....lv never been to sneem but l came across a hotel there only last week, (job searching on the internet) seems really nice...http://www.parknasillaresort.com/en/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

im from kerry, we go out in killarney the whole time so i kind of want to give that a miss, was thinking maybe the sneem hotel, 2 nights in a suite for 179 (1 3 course dinner and breakfast both mornings) seems nice
    I was at a wedding there once, beautiful hotel, no leisure centre there that time though, Sneem be dead this time of the year too.

i was thinking that myself to be honest, i suppose kenmare might be a bit livelier right? i just dont want to a town like killarney/tralee (love killarney btw) where every place will be jammers, id prefer a quieter weekend

Kenmare be nice, there will be a good crowd around and lots of nice restaurants too, pubs to suit all tastes, the Kenmare Bay Hotel is a nice place to stay, has a leisure centre and all.

any recommendations for a nice restaurant in kenmare?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

QC's in Caherciveen. Gorgeous place, fantastic food (really fantastic!), lovely town. No idea what it'd be like at this time of year mind you.

Couldn't recommend QC's highly enough.

• Advertisement

god now im thinking Caherciveen :D any idea what its like this time of year lads, if it was yerselves caherciveen or kenmare?

any recommendations for a nice restaurant in kenmare?
    Caseys, The lime tree

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

god now im thinking Caherciveen :D any idea what its like this time of year lads, if it was yerselves caherciveen or kenmare?

Cahersiveen is a grand spot for lunch, but I'd pick Valentia for something more romantic.

For this time of year I'd suggest Kenmare as there is a bit more happening. There will be more than one restaurant and hotel to choose from.

Kenmare would win hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

madrabui wrote: »
    Cahersiveen is a grand spot for lunch, but I'd pick Valentia for something more romantic.

For this time of year I'd suggest Kenmare as there is a bit more happening. There will be more than one restaurant and hotel to choose from.

There's also the restaurant at Reenard Point (can't remember the name) which is highly regarded. Didn't eat there when I was there this summer, but it looks lovely.

And IMO QC's is worth the weekend all on its own!

(I sound like I'm an ambassador for the place, or related to them or something - but I'm not, honestly. Just was really, really impressed with a place that does something different, and very very well.)

I see the rate in QCs for the weekend is €158 which is excellent value.

i know thats what had me rethinking kenmare! tbh i think im going to stick to kenmare, will be much livelier this time of year, anyone know if O Donnabhain's is a nice place to stay? 150 for the two nights with b&b id get dinner in a a nice restaurant myself then, just about to pull the trigger but said id ask in case anyone has any horror stories :)

i know thats what had me rethinking kenmare! tbh i think im going to stick to kenmare, will be much livelier this time of year, anyone know if O Donnabhain's is a nice place to stay? 150 for the two nights with b&b id get dinner in a a nice restaurant myself then, just about to pull the trigger but said id ask in case anyone has any horror stories :)
    Its grand, be noisy and good chance of a hen or stag party staying with you in the guest house.

i think i am going to try o donnabhains for accomadation (shes a sucker for trad music, good chance there will be some on that weekend?) and then that will leave me some money to go to a nice restaurant both nights :D sorted bish bosh.
    Thanks for all the help lads and ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

Davitts do nice food good choice and a great value 2 course for around 20euro. You will be spoilt for choice for restaurants in Kenmare. Lots of old quaint pubs also.Kenmare much nicer in the wintertime than when it is packed in summer.
    Last year we went to Sneem for a weekend in January the hotel was nice but the town very quite and the weather was very bad so there was not a lot to do .
    This year we went to Kenmare for a weekend and there was a bit more happening.

• Advertisement

I also just saw a grab one bargain for Kells bay house and gardens. This is a lovely area and romantic and it looks very nice and gets good reviews on tripadvisor.I would say it would be very quite. The price is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

And IMO QC's is worth the weekend all on its own!

(I sound like I'm an ambassador for the place, or related to them or something - but I'm not, honestly. Just was really, really impressed with a place that does something different, and very very well.)

I was going to say QC's too when I saw your posts! We were there for just a night last year and it was lovely, the rooms are really nice, ours had a big standalone bathtub in it and there were fresh muffins hanging on our door the next morning. Little differences. We ate there that evening too and the food was lovely.

Caherciveen itself was a little quiet, but it was November!

Any ideas for a few day activities for a Saturday in kenmare at this time of year?

Any ideas for a few day activities for a Saturday in kenmare at this time of year?
    Are you into walking?

Would love to myself but the misses back is bad at the moment so probably not, can only imagine the amazing walks around kenmare though, any really nice ones that wouldn't be taxing?

Would love to myself but the misses back is bad at the moment so probably not, can only imagine the amazing walks around kenmare though, any really nice ones that wouldn't be taxing?
    There are a few, another option would be do the ring of beara, do the coast road route, beautiful views and little villages and towns, stop off in kilmacalogue for a drink and some fresh kenmare mussels, imo the ring of beara is alot nicer than the ring of kerry.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/outdoors/walk-of-the-week/kerry-go-with-the-flow-in-riveting-river-walk-256568.html

I saw this walk in the lifestyle section of the Irish examiner and I have done it and would say it is easy walk

Advertisement