Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Total nonsense article. The games Nintendo are producing are top notch. The problem is they aren't selling as well as they should or their platforms, which is not the game devs problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I still think The Wii and WiiU NSMB games are utterly sublime and some of the best 2D platformers ever, up there with Mario 3 and World. The Handheld games though are quite bland.

I think Sonic Colours and Generations get a bit too much credit just because they are Sonic games that don't totally suck. They're good fun but they still have a slew of problems.

I think I never really took to the Sonic games past the first two 16 bit ones as it has no idea what kind of world it's trying to be. You're running around real streets one minute when big fantastical platformy areas the next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone can gain readers now by supposedly knowing why the Wii U has yet to take off.
    And there's no shortage of those to take them at their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Anyone can gain readers now by supposedly knowing why the Wii U has yet to take off.
    And there's no shortage of those to take them at their word.

What's the betting some of those article writers don't even own one themselves then

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

krudler wrote: »
    What's the betting some of those article writers don't even own one themselves then

I think there's a lot of that about.
    I understand you need to form an opinion before spending your money but that should be based on trying one out, no point in reading some losers blog, or taking a single sites report as gospel.
    There's a lot to be said for taking the time to do a bit of research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Total nonsense article. The games Nintendo are producing are top notch. The problem is they aren't selling as well as they should or their platforms, which is not the game devs problem.

A real mopey article that, typical of the type of nonsense you read nowdays from them.
    Big problem for Nintendo is that 3rd party games aren't being bought much on the WiiU. Most are shabby ports anyway & why would someone want to buy a new console if the 3rd party titles are freely available on the 360 & PS3. Most who bought the WiiU have almost exclusively got well exclusive games. Ninty have been spoiling 3DS owners a lot lately too which people often tend to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Third party are doing quick ports when they do them at all and they are electing not to release DLC for the console. Take Mass Effect 3 for instance. They released it with some DLC included, but what was not included, you just couldn't get.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I very much doubt any WiiU owner doesn't already own a 360 or PS3 which makes third party ports obsolete, it's no wonder they aren't selling.

I pretty sick of all the 'I write for a games website which makes me qualified to spout amateur hour pie in the sky financial opinions and present them as gospel' nonsense that is going on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

krudler wrote: »

I don't follow, what exactly are you implying?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I very much doubt any WiiU owner doesn't already own a 360 or PS3 which makes third party ports obsolete, it's no wonder they aren't selling.

Hey, I resent that remark! I am the one. That guy who went Full 'Cube and then foolishly went Full Wii and has done the triple and thrown all his eggs in the WiiU basket. The Wii taught me to revel in what I had and not pine for the Cross platform blockbusters. I've never played assassin's creed or battlefield, my last GTA was San Andreas on PC, I eschew FIFA in favour of the PES RTS.

When you go Full Ninty you learn not to desire 3rd party games. The barren release schedules condition you to be satisfied with less, up to the point where you become suspicious, even resentful of those tresspassers that do sometimes appear.

So if a 3rd party wants you to buy their game they need to put some bloody hard work into selling it, its not enough for it just to land on a shelf. But what few 3rd party titles there are had less marketing grunt behind them than the WiiU itself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Radiosonde wrote: »
    In latest possible bad news, NeoGaf thinks Watch_Dogs on Wii U may have been cancelled (Italian GameStop are cancelling preorders and have told customers as much).

This was confirmed as an internal Gamestop data mess-up, but not before it flew around the internet as another Wii U bad news story!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

In my previous experience, I've gone:
    N64/PS1/PC
    GC/PS2/PC
    Wii/360/PC
    Wii U/<PS4>/PC

Nintendo completes me. PC for my multiplayer, ninty console for their quality games, and one other platform for exclusives or 360/PS3 only games etc. 3rd party doesn't really interest me for a Nintendo console as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Odd article, so its the WiiU's lack of games like Call of Duty, FIFA and GTA that are doing it in, while Nintendo just rehash the same games over and over with a new coat of paint ;)

In my previous experience, I've gone:
    N64/PS1/PC
    GC/PS2/PC
    Wii/360/PC
    Wii U/<PS4>/PC

Nintendo completes me. PC for my multiplayer, ninty console for their quality games, and one other platform for exclusives or 360/PS3 only games etc. 3rd party doesn't really interest me for a Nintendo console as a result.

I would say the WiiU is the best choice for a PC gamer for a back-up gaming system, its gonna get games you cant get anywhere else while the 2 next-gens will be 95% multi-platform titles making up its "must buys". At least the PS4 might have an edge with the Japanese software companies ignoring the Xbox One, but that coulg change as they need to broaden the player base with rising dev costs for the new gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

My prediction...

At e3 2015 Nintendo will announce the HDS, a hybrid system capable of being a handheld and home system. Full HD output on both, with Wii U peripherals recycled for the new generation. There'll be a modest docking station that hooks up to your TV via HDMI by popping the HDS into it, and the gamepad (no real need for an upgrade) will serve as the bottom touch screen analog.

The HDS unit itself will finally have dual sticks and triggers, will run games off proprietary high capacity cards (ala vita but with more space), and digital distribution will probably get to the level of the ps3/Xbox 360 right now

It'll be the last roll of the home hardware dice for Nintendo and it'll live or die on the price, launching around February 2016 at about $250 with specs not a million miles away from the vita, but with a bit more poke

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Nah, they'll just do an earthbound/mother spinoff and the triumphant return of fire pro wrestling, not advertise either and expect magic sales.

I'd like to see them prototype new gameplay ideas and push them through the stars catalog as limited releases. Drives 1st hand sales, gives The stars catalog a purpose, Let's them also try out new character sketches and see what works in a near risk free environment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

COYVB wrote: »
    My prediction...

At e3 2015 Nintendo will announce the HDS, a hybrid system capable of being a handheld and home system. Full HD output on both, with Wii U peripherals recycled for the new generation. There'll be a modest docking station that hooks up to your TV via HDMI by popping the HDS into it, and the gamepad (no real need for an upgrade) will serve as the bottom touch screen analog.

The HDS unit itself will finally have dual sticks and triggers, will run games off proprietary high capacity cards (ala vita but with more space), and digital distribution will probably get to the level of the ps3/Xbox 360 right now

It'll be the last roll of the home hardware dice for Nintendo and it'll live or die on the price, launching around February 2016 at about $250 with specs not a million miles away from the vita, but with a bit more poke

I with you on the idea that Nintendo should make a combo device. They should wait, at least, until the Wii U tech can fit in a 3DS XL-sized chassis (without costing them an arm and a leg). A handheld device, launching with a library of Wii U games (which nobody would have played ;) ) sounds pretty compelling.

2016 is optimistic. I'm of two minds whether Nintendo would make such a drastic change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I dont think they'll have a choice in the matter to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Fnz wrote: »
    I with you on the idea that Nintendo should make a combo device. They should wait, at least, until the Wii U tech can fit in a 3DS XL-sized chassis (without costing them an arm and a leg). A handheld device, launching with a library of Wii U games (which nobody would have played ;) ) sounds pretty compelling.

2016 is optimistic. I'm of two minds whether Nintendo would make such a drastic change.

I'm just shaking my head lads. Ain't gonna happen.

Ninty have the 3DS selling by the bucket load.

The Wii U is without doubt struggling but add on devices etc aren't the answer.

Imo they will continue to release quality well known titles for the next couple of years like mario kart, zelda, etc and hope sales pick up.

It's going to be similar to GameCube in terms of how long it's out there (5years for GameCube) and in terms of sales.

Don't get me wrong this doesn't make it a major commercial success but would keep it ticking along without loosing money whilst the 3DS keeps the money piling in.

Next home console then say in say 2017ish will hopefully be a more successful one with Ninty learning from the disasterous marketing campaign.
    First step for me anyway would be getting rid of the Wii name altogether and promote the hell out of it.

Wii u ain't going anywhere any time soon though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Banjo wrote: »
    Hey, I resent that remark! I am the one. That guy who went Full 'Cube and then foolishly went Full Wii and has done the triple and thrown all his eggs in the WiiU basket. The Wii taught me to revel in what I had and not pine for the Cross platform blockbusters. I've never played assassin's creed or battlefield, my last GTA was San Andreas on PC, I eschew FIFA in favour of the PES RTS.

When you go Full Ninty you learn not to desire 3rd party games. The barren release schedules condition you to be satisfied with less, up to the point where you become suspicious, even resentful of those tresspassers that do sometimes appear.

So if a 3rd party wants you to buy their game they need to put some bloody hard work into selling it, its not enough for it just to land on a shelf. But what few 3rd party titles there are had less marketing grunt behind them than the WiiU itself!

HA! You're just as guilty, if not more as those of us who never look at Ninty devices of missing out on what have been considered some of the top games of the last few years. It's a consumer driven market, why on earth should you have to settle for less like you say? Why aren't you demanding equal representation? I'm going back to my Gaelgóir analogy, we occasionally get these arseholes who appear on Boards, insist on speaking only Irish, despite the fact that English is our Mother Tongue in Ireland and who take it as a personal affront when you tell them that they're required to post an English translation of what they've said because 99.9% of the readers will have no idea what they're saying. But these idiots insist that it is their gods given right to speak Irish and to hell with anyone else who won't waste their time learning a dead language.

Well if you're saying to hell with anyone who won't release a game on a piece of hardware that is currently bottom of the pile and getting lower, then that's your issue :)

Just for the record, I don't think you're any kind of arsehole or anything (quite the opposite, you seem like a good guy arguing his point quite well), it's just these Gaelgóir idiots who really annoy me :p

Actually resenting the steady suggestion from you that Nintendo owners are closed minded muppets akin to Gaelgoir.
    I think the truth is that avoiding owning a Nintendo console is a very odd behaviour and as strange and idiosyncratic as only owning Nintendo consoles.
    The majority of Nintendo owners also own other format home consoles and so have the freedom to play any decent games that are released rather than merely reading about them.
    Nintendo are not irrelevant, not forgetting their core fans, they endeavour to attract new custom and while they do reuse IP, they use the characters in original titles that tend to be best in class by any objective measure.
    So enough already, just saying Nintendo are spent does not make it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Actually resenting the steady suggestion from you that Nintendo owners are closed minded muppets akin to Gaelgoir.
    I don't think that was his point, or at least I took from it being a one console owner being the less than ideal approach to gaming. Now, that I'd agree with.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't think that was his point, or at least I took from it being a one console owner being the less than ideal approach to gaming. Now, that I'd agree with.

Oh, I think most right minded gamers can agree with that although there was comment elsewhere from folk with just one console and claiming that was the norm, I'm not so sure.
    I'm not suggesting most gamers have an extensive collection, but I'm sure a high percentage own two home formats as well as a handheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Oh, I think most right minded gamers can agree with that although there was comment elsewhere from folk with just one console and claiming that was the norm, I'm not so sure.
    I'm not suggesting most gamers have an extensive collection, but I'm sure a high percentage own two home formats as well as a handheld.

sure it'd be rude not to own at least two home consoles.

sure it'd be rude not to own at least two home consoles.

Two...or 50.....
    Only problem is getting to play them all!

I apologise, I've got a really bad head cold and my brain isn't firing on all cylinders, so I'm not making myself as clear as I should.

I liken fanboys/zealots to these Gaelgóir types. If you see in my earlier post, I acknowledge that your average Nintendo fan is actually a much more serious and knowledgeable gamer and from what I can see here, own multiple platforms and enjoy the widest variety of choice. But for Banjo to say that he only plays Ninty and doesn't bother with anything else suggests to me that he's "part of the problem" (and it's not a problem per sé, just a turn of phrase in this case). Nintendo hardware owners should be kicking up a major stink if they're platform of choice is being left out of all the big multi platform releases. Settling for third rate service and a far smaller selection of big titles just seems to me to fly in the face of all common sense. What are Nintendo themselves doing to attract the major AAA releases to their platform? Why are they happy to let their loyal customers be shafted? There seems to be this terribly anti-consumer attitude of "they'll be fine, we'll just churn out another Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Smash and they'll be happy" and that just boggles my mind.

Also, as stated previously, I don't think Nintendo are in serious trouble at all or anything of the sort, but they've definitely hit a speed bump with the Wii U and nothing would make me happier than to see them figure it out and get back in the game all guns blazing. I've spent many, many hours in my youth on the NES and original GameBoy; they're a great company, no one wins by seeing another pillar of gaming taking a knock and I'm certainly not counting them out at all.

There is a legitimate counter argument, made here by Retr0, that Nintendo owners don't expect big third party releases from their consoles, they are happy that their PC or other machine will host those titles and are more interested in the best in class releases on their own machine.
    First party releases are probably a bigger deal on the Nintendo formats, MS doesn't seem to lean on them at all, preferring to let their exemplary online gaming service to do the talking, integrating so well with third party releases.
    The PS3 wasn't quite so impressive but it struck a better balance between third party and frankly astounding first party stuff, from Demons Souls to Last of Us.
    I think the hope of Nintendo was to avoid the WiiU having to compete at all with the PS4 and Xbox One, being an entirely different approach to gaming with an entirely different games library.
    Unfortunately the public haven't seen it that way and neither have developers, why invest all that money in a game that's only going to be played by one group of customers, and so we saw Rayman Legends being delayed to make it multiplatform, but I think the WiiU still got the best version!

I think you're right on the money there, Nintendo made a decision to be niche and the "second (or third) device" and it's biting them in the bum a bit.

All of this said, I'm contemplating a picking up 2DS just cause :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I would say the WiiU is the best choice for a PC gamer for a back-up gaming system, its gonna get games you cant get anywhere else while the 2 next-gens will be 95% multi-platform titles making up its "must buys". At least the PS4 might have an edge with the Japanese software companies ignoring the Xbox One, but that coulg change as they need to broaden the player base with rising dev costs for the new gen.

I'm primarily a PC gamer, play a bit on my Nexus 4/7 and previously owned a GameCube and a PlayStation 1 as my back-up systems. The only console I'm likely to buy over the next few years is the WiiU, as I'm more interested in Nintendo's games than what's available on the PS4 and Xbox One. Couldn't make the jump to the original Wii as I hated the controller so damn much! Know this means I've missed out on loads of good games.

I have the 3ds and 3ds XL, the earlier machine is now being played by my son and I'm playing the larger console, the 2ds looks nice though and I don't think a massive amount is lost losing the 3d, aside from a few bonus levels in Super Mario 3d Land and the great use of 3d in Luigi's Mansion 2 and Mario Kart 7.
    The Vita is a stunning machine though but just hasn't got the games to make it as essential as the 3ds as yet, though Tearaway and Wipeout are amazing on it, and Persona 4 fans love it too, though I've yet to play my copy!

The 3ds/2ds as an alternate WiiU Gamepad and the WiiU itself sold in a bundle with the handheld instead was mentioned elsewhere and would, I imagine, sell a hell of a lot, as well as a WiiU solo console for those who already have the 3ds/2ds, shift the machine for €200, take it out of the market occupied by the other two and it could turn around the beleaguered consoles fortunes. This is not my original idea, minds immeasurably superior to mine thought of it, possibly on the jaunt from mars....

• Advertisement

Just spent the last hour with Super Mario 3d World and its stunning, possibly the most fun I've had with a game in a while.
    Was The Last of Us a better game? Don't know, it was amazing as well but not strictly fun, same goes for Dark Souls.
    So much invention in every level, the last game to make me grin this much was Super Mario Galaxy 2

Advertisement