Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think you're right on the money there, Nintendo made a decision to be niche and the "second (or third) device" and it's biting them in the bum a bit.

I very much doubt it's Nintendo's choice to alienate third parties from releasing on the WiiU. They didn't choose it to be that way the small market for the WiiU dictated it.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just spent the last hour with Super Mario 3d World and its stunning, possibly the most fun I've had with a game in a while.
    Was The Last of Us a better game? Don't know, it was amazing as well but not strictly fun, same goes for Dark Souls.
    So much invention in every level, the last game to make me grin this much was Super Mario Galaxy 2

Last of Us was good zombie story married to a decent game. As a videogame Mario 3D World was a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

ionapaul wrote: »
    Couldn't make the jump to the original Wii as I hated the controller so damn much! Know this means I've missed out on loads of good games.

I would seriously re-consider if the controller is the only issue, especially since you can pick them up for half-nothing second hand. Do you still have your GameCube collection? An original Wii will play all of your GC back catalogue.

I'm fairly new to Nintendo so I have not got the relevant experience or knowledge to offer an opinion on their current plight, but the quality of their titles so far has astounded me.

I am currently playing through Mario Galaxy on the Wii and Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. I'm actually limiting my game time on Galaxy just to make it last! Then I'll have Galaxy 2 to begin. After a slow start to Ocarina which had me doubting it, it is beginning to drag me in. Viewtiful Joe (GameCube) is also currently on route of which I've heard and read good things about. I've limited myself to a small weekly budget to build up my GC/Wii collection on eBay. Seriously addictive!

The current and future titles on the Wii U would be enough to warrant a future purchase from me, long before I pick up a PS4. As touched on previously, the lack of third party support wouldn't bother me since it would be a 'second' console. I think calling it that does it a tremendous disservice, maybe 'additional' would be better suited. At this stage of my gaming life I couldn't be without a Nintendo system since it provides the perfect contrast to going FullRamboMode™ in Far Cry 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I very much doubt it's Nintendo's choice to alienate third parties from releasing on the WiiU. They didn't choose it to be that way the small market for the WiiU dictated it.

I think it was their choice not to directly compete with Sony & MS though, & as a byproduct of that choice, it has kinda hurt them in the long run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just spent the last hour with Super Mario 3d World and its stunning, possibly the most fun I've had with a game in a while.
    Was The Last of Us a better game? Don't know, it was amazing as well but not strictly fun, same goes for Dark Souls.
    So much invention in every level, the last game to make me grin this much was Super Mario Galaxy 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I just finished NSMB Wii U.

I reckon half of the reason I finished it and lego city undercover recently was due to knowing there's not loads of games out there and you have to make them last/get your value out of them.

Kind of like when we were kids and you only got a couple of games a year if you were lucky.

I'm nearly finished Rayman Legends so its time to go back to that, then it's on to Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is on pre order.

Lets face it there's plenty of quality games to keep you going unless you do nothing but gaming and even then I look at the likes of Lego city or nsmb... They both have loads of extra content to complete. I finished both but I have multiple hours left in each to properly complete them.

Anyway I'm off to my 360 now for something different. I'm half way through bulletstorm one of the many games on my backlog list I promised myself I'd finish before buying more games!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah yes, Bulletstorm, an absolute blast and insane with the strangest mode of swearing ever heard.
    It's an example of everything that was right about the last gen of gaming, here's hoping the new one can produce such treasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I really can't see the 3ds or xl becoming a second screen instead of the Wii U gamepad. For starters, their resolution is just too low to be able to play the games properly, to do them justice, and you would be back to the problems that people had when originally hooking their Xbox 360 or PS3 to their SD TV, they couldn't read any text in the game because it simply wasn't rendered in enough detail!

You would probably have to wait for the successor to the 3DS for the kind of resolution required for this.

I've been holding off on the Wii U for the moment as I just can't justify buying one for the few titles that are available. I'm sure I'll get one eventually though - I have all the others!

Karsini wrote: »
    I've been holding off on the Wii U for the moment as I just can't justify buying one for the few titles that are available. I'm sure I'll get one eventually though - I have all the others!

Few titles???!! I'm so sick of that stupid comment!

Just to name a few...

Zelda windwaker HD
    NSMB
    Super mario world 3D
    Pikmin
    Lego city undercover
    Rayman
    Zombie u

That would keep the average gamer tied up for considerable time and mario kart, super smash bros and donkey kong are all just around the corner.

It's as if people are trying to think of excuses not to buy one instead of just enjoying it for what it is.

There's hardly anything groundbreaking there to be fair. There's maybe three games in your list that I'd get but they're virtually all rehashes of previous releases for the Wii or DS/3DS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Shiminay wrote: »
    HA! You're just as guilty, if not more as those of us who never look at Ninty devices of missing out on what have been considered some of the top games of the last few years.

I have two pages to catch up on but while I understand what you're saying, its based on the twin fallacies that I have both the money and room under my telly to own more than one console.

I'd love to play Red Dead. I'd love to sleep with 1980s Michelle Pfeiffer. But I'm married to Nintendo (1970s Susan sarandon?) and I'm not going to throw that away for two weeks of bliss

I bought this console with open eyes. I'm part of the longterm problem, because I don't want them to change, but the short term problem is my kind are the only ones who came back to the trough this time

There's hardly anything groundbreaking there to be fair. There's maybe three games in your list that I'd get but they're virtually all rehashes of previous releases for the Wii or DS/3DS.

Ah give over. What are you waiting on?!

Anyway just finished bulletstorm. Great game. Duke Nukem take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'll admit I haven't been hugely tempted by the WiiU, and probably won't be until the Xenoblades sequel is released. I imagine I'd pick one up around then and pick up the games I've missed out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I'll admit I haven't been hugely tempted by the WiiU, and probably won't be until the Xenoblades sequel is released. I imagine I'd pick one up around then and pick up the games I've missed out on.

I'm hoping a lot of people think that way, and that when they come around and sales take off, iwata has three words on his mind

GameCube
    Ambassador
    Titles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Few titles???!! I'm so sick of that stupid comment!

Just to name a few...

Zelda windwaker HD
    NSMB
    Super mario world 3D
    Pikmin
    Lego city undercover
    Rayman
    Zombie u

I've already said this in another thread but you can get Rayman on every console and Zelda really isn't a reason alone to get one since you can play it on a gamecube and wii.

In that list there are 2 games that interest me. Super Mario world (definitely) and Pikman 3 (Just want to see what it's about really... the rest aren't that interesting for me.

How many of those games make full use of the controller?

I'm thinking I'll get a Wii U this or next Christmas.. similar with what I did for the wii.

Only one, Wind Waker HD, could be considered a rehash.
    The rest of the titles are a mix of original approaches to existing IP and new games.
    Take a look at the games people are waiting for on the PS4 and Xbox One and the bulk appear to be sequels and "rehashes".
    It's a cliche to suggest that WiiU content is more of the same and the comment is normally made by people who don't own the machine or who haven't played the games in question.
    Even so, a quick look the review scores of the WiiU titles should put to bed the notion that WiiU games are merely derivative.

Rayman Legends was made, from the ground up, for the WiiU, it was ported to the other consoles late in development.
    If you want to play it as the developers intended then it's the only version to buy.

Rayman Legends was made, from the ground up, for the WiiU, it was ported to the other consoles late in development.
    If you want to play it as the developers intended then it's the only version to buy.

I strongly disagree with this.

Not only can you get the complete version on the Vita (as an example) but the levels that were made specifically for the WiiU are arguably the worst levels in the game.

tok9 wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with this.

Not only can you get the complete version on the Vita (as an example) but the levels that were made specifically for the WiiU are arguably the worst levels in the game.

Disagree, fine, still think you're wrong though.
    Have you played it or is this an opinion formed by other opinions?

Disagree, fine, still think you're wrong though.
    Have you played it or is this an opinion formed by other opinions?

Yes, I own it on my Vita, I've played demo's on a WiiU. Works great on both systems. The only significant difference is one has a dedicated smaller screen.

And as I said easily the worst levels of a great game.

Out of curiosity have you played it on both platform or "is this an opinion formed by other opinions?"

tok9 wrote: »
    ...the levels that were made specifically for the WiiU are arguably the worst levels in the game.

So you meant every level of the main game? Before all the add on levels?

• Advertisement

So you meant every level of the main game? Before all the add on levels?

No.. I mean the Murfy levels.. designed for the Wii U controller.

I've not played the Vita version, so don't know how it plays compared to the Wii U version, but I personally found the Murphy levels great. Granted, I played it largely in 2 player, so there was discussion and planning on how to best negotiate the level and obtain all the Teenies and Lums, so perhaps the experience was different.

I know from doing the Murphy challenge levels solo that they were different, but I found them no less fun than the main Rayman ones. Just a slightly different way of playing them.

(edit)
    Just to clarify, what I'd meant earlier was as you'd said "the levels that were made specifically for the WiiU", I was pointing out that every level, save for the invasion and possibly some of the challenge levels, (and some of the boss fights) were made specifically for the WiiU. The invasion levels and some of the boss levels were added with the extra time the developers had when they were forced to make the game multi-platform.

(edit)
    Just to clarify, what I'd meant earlier was as you'd said "the levels that were made specifically for the WiiU", I was pointing out that every level, save for the invasion and possibly some of the challenge levels, (and some of the boss fights) were made specifically for the WiiU. .

Ya I get you and I'm by no way saying they are bad levels as I absolutely loved the game but I didn't enjoy them as much as the rest of the levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Murfy levels were ok, but there were too many of them, and I had no desire to replay them. Tbh, my opinion of Rayman Legends in general has dipped a little. On first playthrough the gorgeous presentation (such great music especially) and general inventiveness make it hugely enjoyable, but on replays I find the floaty physics bother me more, and I miss the precision of a Mario or the sense of weight and heft of a Donkey Kong Returns.

Tried it on another format, preferred it on the WiiU and bought it for that.
    And I enjoyed the Murfy levels as well.
    Sorry too about the tone of a previous post, :( every one is entitled to their opinion.

Tried it on another format, preferred it on the WiiU and bought it for that.
    And I enjoyed the Murfy levels as well.
    Sorry too about the tone of a previous post, :( every one is entitled to their opinion.

Ya they are decent and add a bit more variety to the game but they can be a little annoying at times. I imagine playing with another player would be a lot better for them too.

No problem man...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

I would not touch the Wii U with a barge poll despite the fact I really like Nintendo games.

Nintendo has lost it's way with hardware since when does power not matter on a Nintendo console?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The more I looks in to this thread, the more I want to get wii U... :pac: Damn, I would not even mind giving pikmin or Mario a go at this stage.

I am not decided on what to get though... 1440p monitor or Wii U.....

I would not touch the Wii U with a barge poll despite the fact I really like Nintendo games.

Nintendo has lost it's way with hardware since when does power not matter on a Nintendo console?

Where can I buy one of these?!

Seriously though power and graphics now are vastly different to back in the good ol days.

A jump in graphics doesn't even look that big a jump until a year or two in to the cycle. Look at battlefield on the ps3 v ps4. Yes there's a difference but nothing major vs back in the day when you went from say mega drive to a Saturn or snes to N64. Now that was a jump you could promote.

The original wii not being HD was massively different to 360 or ps3 but I think the wii u has enough power and HD justs glows on some the titles I've seen so far. The two mario games, pikmin, zelda HD. These are stunning looking games imo. Nothing on the new big two has blown me away yet. I know it will in time but my point is power/graphical jump/change is not as noticeable now as it once was.

• Advertisement

Forget a bit about the horses under the bonnet of your console of choice.
    The true power, that is in the hands of the creator, the developer.
    You can have a console with all the power in the universe, but if you are going to make Knack or Forza 5 what's the point?
    Potential power is what we are really talking about, and any medium has the capability to knock our socks off, but it's up to the development team to bring it to us.
    So, what does this mean for peeps like us?
    It means that if you buy a console, don't buy it for what the box and promo material say it will do, get it for what it will do now, or at least soon.
    As someone who bought a PS3 specifically for The Last Guardian, I could have happily waited another year or two and played with the Wii and 360 until PSN+ came on the scene and made the format essential again.
    The PS4 and particularly the Xbox One isn't delivering on two things, they aren't being true to the promises made in all the hype and they certainly don't appear to be offering the average gamer value for money.
    If you had looked at the WiiU a year ago I'd have said the same thing, but you can get one now for €175 less than a PS4, for €224.99, and that's the 32gb premium edition with Nintendoland, and the range of good titles out there is growing.
    http://www.toys.ie/Wii-U-Console--Black-Premium-Pack--Nintendoland-!125012-prd.aspx
    So, I'd safely say pick one up, why not, or see if you can blag on on Adverts for even less, get a copy of Super Mario 3D Land and Zelda Wind Waker HD, and see why the power of a console isn't the only thing that matters.

Advertisement