Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I would not touch the Wii U with a barge poll despite the fact I really like Nintendo games.

Nintendo has lost it's way with hardware since when does power not matter on a Nintendo console?

Yeah cos the 3ds is getting slaughtered by the more powerful vita isn't it?

Nb I've played more on my 3ds in 2 months than my vita in 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I love the wii u , I never regretted my purchase since buying it at launch

I am more excited for wii u releases this year than anything ps4 or xbox one has scheduled for release in 2014.

I am not a online person unless its metal gear online of the likes of battlefield 4 or killzone shadowfall wont interest me in the slightest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, I regretted it for a while, when nothing was being released, things are a bit different now.
    Can't wait for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh, I regretted it for a while, when nothing was being released, things are a bit different now.
    Can't wait for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze I would love to play that game I really enjoyed Donkey Kong Returns on the Wii.

I really wish Nintendo would just go Multi-platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

I might as well say it I hate the Wii U and I do not want to buy this underpowered unsupported console.

However I may have to pick one up for the sake of playing the new Donkey Kong game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Console gaming would be terrible without nintendo.

I want new experiences with gaming not just a plastic box that plays games on. Skyward sword may have been my least favourite zelda title but I love the 90% of the gameplay with the wii motion plus that I truly felt like I was weilding a sword with stragetic ways to fight enemies there were blocking my moves.

Without nintendo Even today might aswell the gaming industry console wise might aswell come out and say we are done with innovations we just push graphics more here on out.

Even a struggling wii u impressed me from the get go with the gamepad controller, sure developers arent using it yet but the fact I can play while flicking through the channels shows leaps and bounds what the ps4 trying to offer the same with the vita and xbox one kinetic.

Is it a gimmick ? Sure but I want new things that make me wow.

The industry needs not just nintendo but sony and microsoft , removing competeion hurts the industry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bam:
    According to an unconfirmed Nikkei report, Nintendo plans to release trailers for new games on smartphones (presumably Android and iOS) as well as "free mini-games." Until now, Nintendo hasn't made any gaming content available on smartphones.

Note that the Nikkei does not use the Japanese word for "demo," which is either "taikenban" (体験版) or "demo" (デモ). It explicitly states "muryou no mini geemu" (無料のミニゲーム) or "free mini-game." Nikkei reports that the idea is that if players enjoy the mini-games, they can purchase the actual software for their Nintendo hardware. That sounds awfully like a demo!

Nintendo will apparently make a wide swath of information about its games available via smartphones—such as introducing the game's story and characters as well as the release date and price.

Nintendo is expected to announce this plan later this week, Nikkei adds.

RELATED

Gossip! Rumors! What Is Nintendo's Track Record?
    Earlier this week in an uncharacteristic move, the president of one of Japan's biggest companies, Nintendo's Satoru Iwata, hopped on Read…
    In the past, Nikkei's track record with Nintendo rumors has been quite good. Kotaku is following up with Nintendo and will update this post should the company comment.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has previously said that the company would use smartphones to help promote their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I might as well say it I hate the Wii U and I do not want to buy this underpowered unsupported console.

However I may have to pick one up for the sake of playing the new Donkey Kong game.

I've never understood the word 'hate' for a console, unless you've owned it and substantially played it.

On someone mentioning the gamepad earlier, I don't how anyone who has used the gamepad a lot can actually dislike it, I think it's terrific and it's a pity developers don't utilise it more, although despite what people say it has had some nice ideas with it already. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't be using write like "hate" to describe a thing you don't own.
    If it's not for you grand, horses for courses, but that kind of language just gets peoples backs up.
    And, regarding the unconfirmed repowells of IOS/Android demos of Nintendo software, why would they bother?
    The stuff they'd be showing of there would be 3ds software and Nintendo are hardly having trouble selling those.
    Also, keep in mind the word "unconfirmed".
    I'd say we're overdue a Nintendo app but I'd say it'd be more for news, videos and things like themes for your phone. See, just made that up, a couple of reposts later and it's an "unconfirmed report" as well!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

DS games coming to the Wii U, just announced

• Advertisement

I'd say we're overdue a Nintendo app but I'd say it'd be more for news, videos and things like themes for your phone. See, just made that up, a couple of reposts later and it's an "unconfirmed report" as well!

Do I get a prize for being right?
    http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/30/nintendo-wants-to-establish-greater-ties-with-consumers-via-smart-devices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Would it not have made more sense to tie DS games to the 3DS, & something like Gamecube for the Wii U? This seems a bit of a waste, as they'll look really pixelated on the bigger pad screen, let alone a hd tv

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You get a free trip to New York including shopping money while staying at a 5* hotel!*

*Fully paid by you but we'll take the credit for the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Myrddin wrote: »
    Would it not have made more sense to tie DS games to the 3DS, & something like Gamecube for the Wii U? This seems a bit of a waste, as they'll look really pixelated on the bigger pad screen, let alone a hd tv

I dont understand. Does this mean n64 and GameCube games are coming to the 3DS VC? Seeing as gba and DS are going to the main console, blurry is not the word

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fantastic zelda zelda zelda games.....

Any word on when ds games will be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ok looked at my gaming for past week.. i normally play between 8pm and 12 . Every night in last week i have played at least 3 hours on wii u and last night i jumped on to my dusty xbox one to play bf4 now what does that say about the wii u?? You guessed it a fantastic console and i cant stop playing it ;)

I dont get the guys slating the console how can you slate a console when u dont own one? Tbh your opinions are meaningless unless you own the wii u or have played a heck of a lot on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

DS?
    Ah jaysus.... I have a 3DS that plays DS games.
    I want to play GameCube stuff. GAME CUBE!
    Think about it, play a virtual version of a spectacular failure of a console on a physical console that's also failing spectacularly. The paradox will invert the space-time paradigm causing WiiUs to sell like hotcakes. Also, Eternal Darkness needs another shot at the big time. Narokath Santak!

On the Mobile Phone front, I'm hoping for an App that among other things puts a WiiU StreetPass feature on to your phone, which then syncs to your WiiU when you get back. Instead of the 3D scenes you get for completing puzzles on the 3DS, they could give us.... 10 GameCube games, each with a 40 piece puzzle. Ah go on, Ninty, what's a few old IPs between 5 million friends?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lots of big news there from Nintendo. Well the WiiU definitely isn't dead, Nintendo will be riding it out until the end of it's life time. They seem to get finally getting the idea of a unified online ID so hopefully that gets implemented soon. They will also be pimping out their IP and characters to other companies for advertising and marketing. Sell outs! Although it will give them greater brand awareness.

Kotaku are reporting on an new nintendo platform this one aimed at the fitness market. It should be able to monitor your fitness levels. It seems interesting but hard to put a finger on what it all means or what it will be.

Nintendo seem to be scared by the mobile phone market still which seems like a very outdated idea, I think recent information shows that they are two different markets that can coexist together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ok looked at my gaming for past week.. i normally play between 8pm and 12 . Every night in last week i have played at least 3 hours on wii u and last night i jumped on to my dusty xbox one to play bf4 now what does that say about the wii u?? You guessed it a fantastic console and i cant stop playing it ;)

I dont get the guys slating the console how can you slate a console when u dont own one? Tbh your opinions are meaningless unless you own the wii u or have played a heck of a lot on it

I think you're taking this a bit too personally.

The vast majority of people aren't saying the console is ****, it's just that in some people's opinions there is not enough content on it to go out and purchase it.

I think most people are just concerned with how badly it is selling and the poor marketing of the product.

I still stand by my opinion that overall the tablet controller is a complete luxury item. This is highlighted even more by Donkey Kong where the tablet is going to be blank unless you use remote play. I imagine it'll be no use on Super Smash Bros or Mario Kart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

^ we might see more Lego games for the Wii U....like a Mario Lego game etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It took the DS well over a year before developers utilised the touchscreen properly but once canvas curse arrived the floodgates opened. Give it a few months and it will show its worth. Unlike the 3d on the 3ds the touchpad has huge potential to add new elements to games just like the touchscreen on the DS did. Also I don't mind games like dkc not using the touch screen. I'd rather a game play well without gimmicks than a game with shoehorned gimmicks that are negative to the experience. Just because you have a new toy to play with doesn't mean you have to use it.

Banjo wrote: »
    DS?
    Ah jaysus.... I have a 3DS that plays DS games.
    I want to play GameCube stuff. GAME CUBE!
    Think about it, play a virtual version of a spectacular failure of a console on a physical console that's also failing spectacularly. The paradox will invert the space-time paradigm causing WiiUs to sell like hotcakes. Also, Eternal Darkness needs another shot at the big time. Narokath Santak!

On the Mobile Phone front, I'm hoping for an App that among other things puts a WiiU StreetPass feature on to your phone, which then syncs to your WiiU when you get back. Instead of the 3D scenes you get for completing puzzles on the 3DS, they could give us.... 10 GameCube games, each with a 40 piece puzzle. Ah go on, Ninty, what's a few old IPs between 5 million friends?

I think Nintendo have to use the trademark by June or something or they'll lose it. Hope not.

jenjenten wrote: »
    ^ we might see more Lego games for the Wii U....like a Mario Lego game etc.

Now, that would be intriguing, imagine that and physical Lego Mario Bros sets to go along with.... not to mention if a game were made it'd be a Nintendo exclusive, naturally.
    Then, where would it end?
    Pikmin playsets?
    Lego Metroid with a Minifig Samus and her spaceship!
    :Drool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Now, that would be intriguing, imagine that and physical Lego Mario Bros sets to go along with.... not to mention if a game were made it'd be a Nintendo exclusive, naturally.
    Then, where would it end?
    Pikmin playsets?
    Lego Metroid with a Minifig Samus and her spaceship!
    :Drool:

Shut up and take my money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Lots of big news there from Nintendo. Well the WiiU definitely isn't dead, Nintendo will be riding it out until the end of it's life time. They seem to get finally getting the idea of a unified online ID so hopefully that gets implemented soon. They will also be pimping out their IP and characters to other companies for advertising and marketing. Sell outs! Although it will give them greater brand awareness.

Kotaku are reporting on an new nintendo platform this one aimed at the fitness market. It should be able to monitor your fitness levels. It seems interesting but hard to put a finger on what it all means or what it will be.

Nintendo seem to be scared by the mobile phone market still which seems like a very outdated idea, I think recent information shows that they are two different markets that can coexist together.

I think your right. I think the idea of the wii u is just an easy media story at this stage.

I reckon it has another 3 or 4 years in it and in fairness that's a decent amount of time to put out some quality titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I never liked the lego games after the first one or two. They're all pretty much the same. Apart from Lego Racer. I'd play that again no problem! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Don't kinnex all ready make Lego-likey Mariokart sets,? Boots sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They'll be grand, Wii U will probably be grand :P It's not in Dreamcast territory yet. Even though Ninty's dismal marketing hasn't helped, I don't think they've been anywhere as bad as SEGA's run-up.

Wii U currently sits at 5.3m within a year of release.

Also, the 3DS is currently the best selling system. The handheld outsold the PS4 and Xbox One over the Christmas period too. Nintendo won't fall, they're fiiiiiiiine

The PS4 is now neck and neck with the 3DS and that's something considering the price difference. The PS Vita is outselling the Wii U weekly now and that tells you how bad things have gotten.

The Wii U has sold just 5 million units and that includes 2 Christmas periods. I don't know how it has gone so bad for them considering the Wii. Maybe it was just a fad after all. And come to think of it the Wii was outsold by the Xbox and PS3 for the last 3 or 4 years.

Nintendo should probably cut their loses but it would be a marketing nightmare trying to push a new console so soon after the Wii U. They messed up not making the Wii U more powerful for sure. It's only as powerful as the last gen consoles PS3 and 360. Very bad move.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The PS4 is now neck and neck with the 3DS and that's something considering the price difference. The PS Vita is outselling the Wii U weekly now and that tells you how bad things have gotten.

The Wii U has sold just 5 million units and that includes 2 Christmas periods. I don't know how it has gone so bad for them considering the Wii. Maybe it was just a fad after all. And come to think of it the Wii was outsold by the Xbox and PS3 for the last 3 or 4 years.

Nintendo should probably cut their loses but it would be a marketing nightmare trying to push a new console so soon after the Wii U. They messed up not making the Wii U more powerful for sure. It's only as powerful as the last gen consoles PS3 and 360. Very bad move.

Console launches are like that though, huge numbers in first week or two. Considering the 3DS's beginning, the fact it's sold so much since is phenomenal really. They are probably not going to be able to dig themselves out of it the same way they did with the 3DS, but 2014 should definitely show a lot better sales with the line up this year, can match anything PS4 or XBox has planned for this year certainly.

The Wii was certainly not a fad, it produced some of the best games this and any generation, unfortunately it got bogged down with shovelware games around 3/4 way through it's life cycle. With recent events, Nintendo seemed to have copped onto a lot of their failings though, so certainly look forward to what they have in store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Corholio wrote: »
    Console launches are like that though, huge numbers in first week or two. Considering the 3DS's beginning, the fact it's sold so much since is phenomenal really. They are probably not going to be able to dig themselves out of it the same way they did with the 3DS, but 2014 should definitely show a lot better sales with the line up this year, can match anything PS4 or XBox has planned for this year certainly.

The Wii was certainly not a fad, it produced some of the best games this and any generation, unfortunately it got bogged down with shovelware games around 3/4 way through it's life cycle. With recent events, Nintendo seemed to have copped onto a lot of their failings though, so certainly look forward to what they have in store.

The way I see it the Gamecube and Wii U had/have great games but the Wii U will end up selling like the Gamecube and already is.

The 3DS really struggled but the price was too high. Once they made the big price cut and released a slim non 3d model the sales came rolling in. Considering the PS4 is the go to console now I really can't see the Wii U ever doing big numbers are too poor Xmas sale periods. 10M max by it's 3rd Xmas and that's very bad.

My point about the Wii being a fad related to all the kids / grannies who got it to play wii sports or wii fit. I used to play with my little sister but she's no interest in it the last few years never mind paying for a HD version. Mario Kart could turn it around a little but I doubt it.

Also with rumours of Watch dogs being cancelled for the Wii I doubt the 3rd party support will get any better.

Advertisement