Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

More evidence the Wii U is dead!.....WB have pulled all planned DLC for Arkham Origins, they even say its a result of not making money off DLC for the console. So YET another third party pulls out.....Watchdogs is all but confirmed cancelled.....snowball effect!

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/watch_dogs/news/watch_dogs_wii_u_absent_from_nintendos_official_2014_release_schedule.html

^ i'd suggest current Wii U owners to trade in or sell their console while the price is high, once thing snowball its value will drop like a stone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

jenjenten wrote: »
    More evidence the Wii U is dead!.....WB have pulled all planned DLC for Arkham Origins, they even say its a result of not making money off DLC for the console. So YET another third party pulls out.....Watchdogs is all but confirmed cancelled.....snowball effect!

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/watch_dogs/news/watch_dogs_wii_u_absent_from_nintendos_official_2014_release_schedule.html

^ i'd suggest current Wii U owners to trade in or sell their console while the price is high, once thing snowball its value will drop like a stone!!

Great advice there.... No wait hang on a minute loads of great games just round the corner. Donkey Kong tropical freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros and maybe even a new Zelda game. I think I'll hold on to mine thanks.

As for no Origins DLC. It's been a poor game on all platforms by the sounds of things so no loss there.

As for Watch Dogs it hasn't be cancelled. And even it is personally I'll just get it on my 360.

Wii U dead because one poor game cancels a DLC and another one is only a rumoured cancellation. I disagree with you're assertion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Because we all buy consoles as 'investments', something to offloaded at the earliest possible opportunity for a hundred euro in Gamestop.

I don't own a Wii U yet, but y'know what? Even if it does continue to sell in low numbers, there's several games on it I'm immensely looking forward to playing, most prominently the upcoming Bayonetta 2. The new 'X' game. Tropical Freeze. Mario Kart. Plus already released games like 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and quite a few others. I don't care how much it sells, it's getting to the point where the games available alone would make me more than happy to own one, regardless of its future viability as a commercial product (which would be nice, of course, and I'm under few illusions Nintendo are putting all their efforts into improving its viability in that regard). Because a console to me is nothing more than a device to play games I want to play, and the Wii U has enough of them or enough upcoming that I'm seriously considering a purchase. I have lesser supported consoles in my collection, like a Wonderswan Crystal, and I am more than happy to own them, as I enjoy having a varied selection of software and hardware to dip into. Some of the biggest failures in console history - the Virtual Boy, the Vectrex - are some of the most curious, which is why years after they continue to be highly sought after by collectors and enthusiasts.

If all you care about in a console is how many units it sells, well then we're on a fundamentally different page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Great advice there.... No wait hang on a minute loads of great games just round the corner. Donkey Kong tropical freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros and maybe even a new Zelda game. I think I'll hold on to mine thanks.

As for no Origins DLC. It's been a poor game on all platforms by the sounds of things so no loss there.

As for Watch Dogs it hasn't be cancelled. And even it is personally I'll just get it on my 360.

Wii U dead because one poor game cancels a DLC and another one is only a rumoured cancellation. I disagree with you're assertion.

I used to love mario kart, then mario kart wii came out and it was overly simplified, tracks were too wide, was unchallenging, gimmicky stunts and bikes were added, and it was a gamble who'd win considering the amount of blue shells going on. They ruined it and make it far more kiddy.

Smash bros on the other hand was great so no risk there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Did you get molested by a guy dressed up as Mario when you were younger or something? If not you seem to have an awful lot of misplaced hatred towards Nintendo. I never understand these people that seem to take glee in watching something fail. It's fairly pathetic. I can accept that there are a lot of things wrong with Nintendo and the WiiU , but it seems that certain fanboys are after taking it on them selves to try and kick the WiiU when its down. I don't know ,maybe its misplaced rage from other consoles not doing so well either, but instead of acknowledging that they themselves made a bad choice, its easier to kick the guys that generally don't get involved in stupid console wars. BTW , I don't own any console,just think its laughable and pathetic how some people want to wish the worst on a console they probably never played.

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I used to love mario kart, then mario kart wii came out and it was overly simplified, tracks were too wide, was unchallenging, gimmicky stunts and bikes were added, and it was a gamble who'd win considering the amount of blue shells going on. They ruined it and make it far more kiddy.

Smash bros on the other hand was great so no risk there.

I didn't play mario kart on wii so can't comment on that but the new one looks incredibly pretty and the anti gravity thing looks interesting. I'm looking forward to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Eh, when did boards become IGN's comment section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

If I could stick out with the playstation for nearly 2 -3 years without many great games to play , with terrible ports and games that went to pc and 360 but not the ps3 then I can stick out with the wii u.

Cause we all know people who buy nintendo consoles is known for their multiplats ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Something I detest, someone who relishes the sight of a console they don't own not doing well.
    Not cool man, not cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario Kart Wii was disappointing but Mario Kart 7 shows that Nintendo took the criticism on board and made one of the best Mario Kart games yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That's a very, em, dour, attitude to have about the Wii U. Like JU mentioned, theres some really, really amazing looking games I've yet to play on it. Pikmin, Monster Hunter, Mario Kart, Tropical Freeze, Mario 3d World, Bayonetta 2, W101 & quite a few others. Far more than the dusty PS4 in my games room has yet to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

My PS4 is for multiplatform games, the Wii U is for Nintendo games

COYVB wrote: »
    My PS4 is for multiplatform games, the Wii U is for Nintendo games

That I think sums it up really.

Maybe those of us who have a wii u are just greedy gamers.

My 360 is my current multiplatform machine. Still have loads to play on that and a few new releases coming like Destiny that I'll pick up.

I will get a PS4 but it'll be while yet. Most likely next year some time, might even wait till Xmas 2015 tbh. By that stage there'll be some good games and lower prices on said games and console.

My wii u has gotten some serious play time since I got it and I can't see that changing anytime soon when I look at the games I'm yet to play and the ones soon to be released.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can't wait for Donkey Kong though I realised I have a Resident Evil 4 shaped hole in my Wii collection, which also plays nicely on my WiiU.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Can't wait for Donkey Kong though I realised I have a Resident Evil 4 shaped hole in my Wii collection, which also plays nicely on my WiiU.

Easily rectified in fairness.

I'm enjoying it so far. Only an hour or so in though. Need to get more telly time.

I'm back playing nsmb collecting the coins. Damn ocd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

I know it's been said to death, but i'd absolutely love a proper Pokémon console release with online features. The handhelds are great but I'd love a more immersive adventure experience. Hard to say whether Nintendo will ever go that way though. :(

mabye one day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Here's a question..

My new tv doesn't have a headphone socket. I can plug them into the gamepad, when playing Mario or whatever, playing on tv. It's beautiful.

But what happens if I want to play a Wii game that requires Wiimote etc? What (if anything) is displayed on the gamepad?

I'm only asking cos I haven't played Resi 4 for a while. A replay is certainly overdue. Best game ever (or thereabouts).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just heads up for some people:

Wii U Premium console 224.99eu in smyths.ie free delivery. I am sort of on the fence here, but I want monster hunter, so not much of a saving then picking up MH3 bundle with controller in Gamestop for 299eu.

http://www.toys.ie/Wii-U-Console--Black-Premium-Pack--Nintendoland-!125012-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=0a5e0482-af0c-4873-9bf4-8710821b69d8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

yes, you can still plug it into the gamepad for audio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Excellent!

Sorry, went OT for a minute there. Back on topic...

Dead in the water my a*se. It's a thing of (imperfect) beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Just heads up for some people:

Wii U Premium console 224.99eu in smyths.ie free delivery. I am sort of on the fence here, but I want monster hunter, so not much of a saving then picking up MH3 bundle with controller in Gamestop for 299eu.

http://www.toys.ie/Wii-U-Console--Black-Premium-Pack--Nintendoland-!125012-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=0a5e0482-af0c-4873-9bf4-8710821b69d8

Well MH3 is on sale on the eShop this week, its 40% off so probs around €30. Controller (WiiU Pro?) is around €40, so you could just get the €225 console and D/L the game for near €250, really depends if you want the controller or not.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Well MH3 is on sale on the eShop this week, its 40% off so probs around €30. Controller (WiiU Pro?) is around €40, so you could just get the €225 console and D/L the game for near €250, really depends if you want the controller or not.

Don't bother with the official pad, the Gioteck GC2 WiiU pad is available on Amazon for about €20 including postage, its designed around the 360 template and works with both WiiU and Wii games at the flick of a switch.

First game to own, Super Mario 3D World, it does more cool things in its first world then most games do in their entire length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Myrddin wrote: »
    That's a very, em, dour, attitude to have about the Wii U. Like JU mentioned, theres some really, really amazing looking games I've yet to play on it. Pikmin, Monster Hunter, Mario Kart, Tropical Freeze, Mario 3d World, Bayonetta 2, W101 & quite a few others. Far more than the dusty PS4 in my games room has yet to offer.

While all may be great games the WII U will not appeal to the masses with games like that. The Wii was so popular as the motion controls were a 3 year fad.

Unless Nintendo come up with something truly special to replace the Wii U in 3-4 years then the sales with continue at GQ and Wii U levels. The good news for them is they're sitting on a massive pile of cash!

PS4 may be killing it but Sony have big company problems and Microsoft is under pressure from it's shareholders to kill the brand that has only ever lost them money! Would be a shame to see any of the mentioned to go out of the business. They really have brought the best out of each other over the last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    While all may be great games the WII U will not appeal to the masses with games like that. The Wii was so popular as the motion controls were a 3 year fad.

Unless Nintendo come up with something truly special to replace the Wii U in 3-4 years then the sales with continue at GQ and Wii U levels. The good news for them is they're sitting on a massive pile of cash!

PS4 may be killing it but Sony have big company problems and Microsoft is under pressure from it's shareholders to kill the brand that has only ever lost them money! Would be a shame to see any of the mentioned to go out of the business. They really have brought the best out of each other over the last 6 years.

In fairness if that's so, that says more about the masses than it does about Nintendo if they wouldn't appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

ubisoft confirm that watchdogs is delayed, they gave no release date....translation = its cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

ubisoft confirm that watchdogs is delayed, they gave no release date....translation = its cancelled.

Hardly.

It's this kind of nonsense posting that's just there to stir up WiiU owners.
    Because if you read the articles on the matter it's clear the game will be released.

If you'd like to go and check a dictionary, delayed and cancelled have quite different meanings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jenjenten quit trolling. The next time will get you a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/02/10/watch-dogs-coming-to-wii-u-later-than-other-systems
    Ubisoft's new IP is coming to Wii U, but not as soon as it is to other platforms.
    Watch Dogs is still coming to Wii U, but it will not be released at the same time as it is on other platforms, Ubisoft revealed today.

During a conference call discussing its earnings for the third fiscal quarter, Ubisoft announced that, following last year's delay, the release of Watch Dogs continues to be planned for its first quarter of the 2014-15 fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2014 through June 30. That release is planned for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC -- Wii U being the notable absence on that list.

The reason for this is because Ubisoft doesn't plan on releasing the Wii U version until "a later date," according to Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot. No specifics were provided for just how long Wii U owners will have to wait for Watch Dogs after its release on other platforms.

We've heard a little about the Wii U version before, including claims that it's superior to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. Guillemot said of those versions, "Watch Dogs on current-gen is really looking very good, and we've been able to put lots of the features that are in next-gen, so you can expect this game to be fantastic as well."

There has been some speculation recently that the Wii U version had been canceled due to poor sales of the system. It turns out that isn't the case, but lower-than-expected sales may be the motivation for delaying the release of the game on Wii U.

An exact release date for other versions of the game wasn't announced. Guillemot stated more details about Watch Dogs would be revealed "very soon."

Sounds like it may be well worth the wait :D

More:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-11-watch-dogs-delayed-again-on-wii-u
    Wii-U case can be seen here - http://watchdogs.ubi.com/watchdogs/en-gb/home/index.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm looking at the Wii U premium package with Super mario Brothers U and Super Luigi U in black having not played Mario for ages (I'm primary a PC player, only console I owed was a original Xbox donkey years ago); is that package worth going for or should I hold out and see what happens?

Advertisement