Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

What in 6/7 years time?

hybrid

hds

maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

jones wrote: »
    Huh?? how are the PS4/X1 a step back from PS3/360?

For the record I own PS4 and wiiU aswell as ps3

Can't play media from a USB/external hd, X1s dashboard is awful and impossible to find anything, PS4s controllers battery life is only 7 hours, graphics ain't much of an improvement, you now need PS+ to go online.

graphics ain't much of an improvement

Funny you should mention that, but the differences are definitely there between the new gen and the old. Going back to PS3 or X360 after playing their successors is surprisingly jarring - but mainly due to jaggies I never really noticed before. Everything's a lot smoother and shinier this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

I wouldn't consider a WiiU as a second console since both the PS4 & X1 are actually a step back from the PS3 & 360. For me the WiiU is a perfect accompaniment to a decent PC.

Your experience might not be the same as others.

Your experience might not be the same as others.

A lot of gamers are content with the PS4 & X1 and that's cool. I personally realised after 2 months the X1 is a piece of garbage, so sold it and bought a savage graphics card. I now play games like The Witcher 2 & Skyrim at 60fps on a 1080p monitor (if anyone tells you graphics don't matter they are talking out of their arse). As for the WiiU I honestly love the graphics on Mario 3D & Wind Waker even though it's all about the gameplay with those 2 particular titles. For me personally PC & WiiU is a perfect match.

• Advertisement

if anyone tells you graphics don't matter they are talking out of their arse

I strongly disagree. Bad graphics can hurt the gameplay experience, but great ones rarely make a game any better than good ones. It's like a black and white movie, or a foreign film with subtitles, or a 3D flick in the cinema, there comes a point where you stop noticing. Gameplay is, and always will be, king. I'd even argue that sound is more important than graphics

COYVB wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. Bad graphics can hurt the gameplay experience, but great ones rarely make a game any better than good ones. It's like a black and white movie, or a foreign film with subtitles, or a 3D flick in the cinema, there comes a point where you stop noticing. Gameplay is, and always will be, king. I'd even argue that sound is more important than graphics

I notice beautiful cinematography all the time in films, I refuse to watch DVDs and have over 100 Blu rays, I prefer to watch football in HD, I love how Rayman Origins looks, and I am always in awe with how beautiful a modded skyrim looks. Once you see how games look so much better on PC you will certainly notice if you play the same game on a console, especially low frame rates and upscaled graphics.

cinematography is not the same thing as graphical fidelity though. as for your last point, im well aware how games look on pc - I just don't think it's of huge importance (frame rate, though, is another matter)

cinematography is not the same thing as graphical fidelity though. as for your last point, im well aware how games look on pc - I just don't think it's of huge importance (frame rate, though, is another matter)

I definitely agree that gameplay is the most important thing and I love games like Thomas Was Alone, Gone Home, Cave Story and Papers Please. But graphics are hugely important especially for those considering what console to buy or fanboys trying to score points, just look at the massive coverage Battlefield 4 and recently Tomb Raider have gotten over the differences in quality from the PS4 to the X1.

but those issues were regarding frame rate, which IS integral to gameplay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I've been playing video games since the late 70s and the wii u is without question the best console i've owned.
    The people who knock the wii u as being underpowered are idiots, its as simple as this, i would rather have the wii u's gamepad over any percieved muscle the other new consoles have.

What is higher resolution really? its a nothing. The gamepad on the other hand allows you to take the console to bed, it lets you play while somebody watches the telly and no more split screen in local 2 player games.
    The spec whores can shove their consoles muscle up their ass for all i care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I'm in the same situation as you but, it has to be acknowledged, the WiiU is underpowered relative to the X1 and the PS4.
    But this isn't relevant as the WiiU seeks to capture a different market.
    Issue really is that, to a lot of buyers, they want the most bang for their buck.
    They don't understand the craft Nintendo lavish on their titles, they want shiny new visuals and want big franchises playing the best way possible.
    They buy a WiiU for Battlefield, NFS, CoD then they'll be disappointed.
    That's not what the console is for.
    But how on earth do you market a machine to that demographic?
    Nintendo faithful will buy it regardless, gamers will be seduced by the brilliant Nintendo 1st party stuff, but they aren't the people you need to convince.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Why would you buy a Wii U if you want the latest cod or battlefield. Wii U has the least power of the 3 current gen consoles so of course you'd buy one of the others. The problem is these type of buyers a lot of the time then bash the Wii U without playing the damn thing.

Most Wii U owners have another device be it a current gen or last gen or pc to play 3rd party games like cod or battlefield or whatever.

Instead Wii U owners are looking for a different experience. They want first party Nintendo IP's like Zelda, Mario, etc and in fairness so far the Wii U has delivered on this with arguably the best looking game if of this generation in any platform in Mario 3D world.

Do I think Nintendo will get more 3rd party support soon? Probably not. Will it hurt their sales numbers? Probably not because people who want the likes of watchdogs for example will buy it on the highest power machine they can get for the most part anyway. Personally I'd buy it on the Wii u for game pad use but I'm in the minority.

I suppose it comes down to Nintendos next move in the console market cause this one is goin to run merrily along for another couple of years at least. What do they do next though?

I'd love to see them match the power of the other two but then again if that had any impact on the quality of the 1st party stuff then I'd say just keep doin what your doing.

Now all we need is Sega to create another console!!! Come on Sega!!

but those issues were regarding frame rate, which IS integral to gameplay

Yes, the higher the FPS the smoother the gameplay, but to get high FPS you need to sacrifice graphical power. Now if the X1 can only run Tomb Raider at 30 FPS (I couldn't play it on my PC with Tress FX running until I updated my GPU) then there is something seriously wrong with the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, I'm in the same situation as you but, it has to be acknowledged, the WiiU is underpowered relative to the X1 and the PS4.
    But this isn't relevant as the WiiU seeks to capture a different market.
    Issue really is that, to a lot of buyers, they want the most bang for their buck.
    They don't understand the craft Nintendo lavish on their titles, they want shiny new visuals and want big franchises playing the best way possible.
    They buy a WiiU for Battlefield, NFS, CoD then they'll be disappointed.
    That's not what the console is for.
    But how on earth do you market a machine to that demographic?
    Nintendo faithful will buy it regardless, gamers will be seduced by the brilliant Nintendo 1st party stuff, but they aren't the people you need to convince.

The bold pretty much sums up where nintendo are having major communication issues.

Imo they focused far too much on the casual market again but that market has left their wii gather dust for a long time while gamers had an idea of what titles to pick out and play.

At this stage I can't see the Wii U selling particularly well. Other than what I already stated about removing the tablet controller as a compulsory device.

The only other thing I would say is acquire 2 - 3 more 3rd party exclusive titles. I'm sure Bayonetta 2 will be a good game but it won't be a system seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

tok9 wrote: »
    The bold pretty much sums up where nintendo are having major communication issues.

Imo they focused far too much on the casual market again but that market has left their wii gather dust for a long time while gamers had an idea of what titles to pick out and play.

At this stage I can't see the Wii U selling particularly well. Other than what I already stated about removing the tablet controller as a compulsory device.

The only other thing I would say is acquire 2 - 3 more 3rd party exclusive titles. I'm sure Bayonetta 2 will be a good game but it won't be a system seller.

i agree on it would be great if they got another couple of developers but i don't see it happening any time soon.

also think youre right about bayonetta not being a system seller. Good game yes but not a system seller. Although i don't think theyre putting all they eggs in this basket. I'm sure theyre under no illusions on this. However they probably do think Mario kart and smash bros will be which again im not so sure. Theyll sell some but probably not as many as Nintendo think.

as for removing the tablet. That to me is a brutal idea. I for one wouldn't have bought it only for the gamepad. Remote playing goodness ftw.

itll be an interesting year for Nintendo. Roll on tropical freeze, Mario kart and smash bros.

I said before.. you can still buy the tablet. I'd just remove it from the console box and let it sell as an accessory.

I've had nowhere near enough time to properly comment on it but from what I heard it's not the best of controllers and in the majority of cases isn't being utilized at all.

If remote play is a big thing for someone then they can get it.

If they got one massive series on the Wii, it could make a huge difference. As an example, If I heard MGS5 would only be on Wii U I'd buy one the day it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I said before.. you can still buy the tablet. I'd just remove it from the console box and let it sell as an accessory.

I've had nowhere near enough time to properly comment on it but from what I heard it's not the best of controllers and in the majority of cases isn't being utilized at all.

If they got one massive series on the Wii, it could make a huge difference. As an example, If I heard MGS5 would only be on Wii U I'd buy one the day it came out.

You've heard wrong, the 'tablet' controller is amazing, feels brilliant in your hands, but it is not being used much at all, and here it is that I agree in removing the tablet from the main console and inclued the normal Wii U pro-controller instead. Sell the Gamepad as an accessory if people want it.

The Gamepad is just not working overall with the public and the sooner Ninty Fanboys/girls and Nintendo realise this, the better.

Its still early days, they can repackage/rebrand the Wii U (no one would notice except for us 'hardcore' followers at the end of the day), Sony is doing it with the Vita Slim right now. I just wish Nintendo were not so stubborn, getting tired of their refusal to move with the times, overall. Thank god for the 3DS.

PS: I have a Wii U since launch, its just not being used. I'm looking forward to MK8, but, thats it :confused: Edit: I am actually thinking of packing it away at the moment tbh. Kinda regret buying it now a year and 2 months later.

Bayonetta 2 will not sell consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Where have you heard the gamepad isnt a great controller? Im telling you from direct experience its 10 times betfer than any console controller and it makes the system unique and a brilliant console .

Tok buy or loan a wii u before slating it......... i heard the controller isnt great argument is just silly

I'm not slating the Wii U at all. That isn't my intention. I would love to have one but currently in my circumstances I cannot get one. (I would also love to own a gaming PC but again)

I was just stating what I think could help the Wii U improve it's sales.

Regarding where I heard it wasn't the best, I've watched a few Adam Sessler videos when he was playing Bayonetta I believe and thought using the controller was odd.

I couldn't pick out the exact video now but he has also made the comment about possibly removing the controller.

Next time I'm in a store I'll give the controller another go. Only experience I have with it is about 20 mins playing Super Mario Bros and Rayman Legends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Where have you heard the gamepad isnt a great controller? Im telling you from direct experience its 10 times betfer than any console controller and it makes the system unique and a brilliant console .

Tok buy or loan a wii u before slating it......... i heard the controller isnt great argument is just silly

Okay, it might an good controller which does what it needs with screen as an extra for few buttons, but saying that its 10 times better then any controller is taking bull**** level to the new heights .
    We get it, you like your wii u. Fair ****s, have fun, but jaysus, be a bit more realistic m8.

I agree with comment said here before: Those who say that graphics are not important are full off ****. Good graphics and good ART STYLE are as important as gameplay. That said, there are plenty of good games with poor outdated graphic engines and there are games which have lots of eye candy, but are average games at best.

Wii u got Nintendo fanboys bagged in already. Its not hard to keep those happy for Nintendo. Do a few Mario and Zelda games - sorted. Problem is core Nintendo fanbase is not getting bigger, it's shrinking. So Nintendo needs to focus on third party support and new IP, to get that new customer. Not just pleasing their core fan base.

I like idea of wii u being as second companion console. Though even at this stage I am still struggling to convince myself that it would be a good value to get one, because of the price and library of games currently available and announced for future. Its just does not make financial sense for me now, and by the looks of it it does not make sense for a lot of gamers out there too. People can talk **** as much as they want that wii u and Nintendo games are great, but poor sales show the real picture. They are good games for some, but not worth the investment for majority of gamers.

I need to see that X game in action, bring Monster hunter 4 to wii u. Get some fresh IP, which does not involve Plummer or dude in green, then I will see wii u as something worth imvesting my money in.

Okay, it might an good controller which does what it needs with screen as an extra for few buttons, but saying that its 10 times better then any controller is taking bull**** level to the new heights .
    We get it, you like your wii u. Fair ****s, have fun, but jaysus, be a bit more realistic m8.

I agree with comment said here before: Those who say that graphics are not important are full off ****. Good graphics and good ART STYLE are as important as gameplay. That said, there are plenty of good games with poor outdated graphic engines and there are games which have lots of eye candy, but are average games at best.

Wii u got Nintendo fanboys bagged in already. Its not hard to keep those happy for Nintendo. Do a few Mario and Zelda games - sorted. Problem is core Nintendo fanbase is not getting bigger, it's shrinking. So Nintendo needs to focus on third party support and new IP, to get that new customer. Not just pleasing their core fan base.

I like idea of wii u being as second companion console. Though even at this stage I am still struggling to convince myself that it would be a good value to get one, because of the price and library of games currently available and announced for future. Its just does not make financial sense for me now, and by the looks of it it does not make sense for a lot of gamers out there too. People can talk **** as much as they want that wii u and Nintendo games are great, but poor sales show the real picture. They are good games for some, but not worth the investment for majority of gamers.

I need to see that X game in action, bring Monster hunter 4 to wii u. Get some fresh IP, which does not involve Plummer or dude in green, then I will see wii u as something worth imvesting my money in.
    Its a fantastic controller im talking from experience using it.

the current list of wii u games couldnt justify buying the console?? Really? Add to that this year Mk8 donkey kong yoshis yarn and bayonetta 2 off hand and future games announced dont make you want one?

If you dont see value in the console fair play but to any real gamer the console is worth its current price easily

I'm not slating the Wii U at all. That isn't my intention. I would love to have one but currently in my circumstances I cannot get one. (I would also love to own a gaming PC but again)

I was just stating what I think could help the Wii U improve it's sales.

Regarding where I heard it wasn't the best, I've watched a few Adam Sessler videos when he was playing Bayonetta I believe and thought using the controller was odd.

I couldn't pick out the exact video now but he has also made the comment about possibly removing the controller.

Next time I'm in a store I'll give the controller another go. Only experience I have with it is about 20 mins playing Super Mario Bros and Rayman Legends.

The controller really doesnt feel comfy standing at a kiosk in gamestop. Its too big to comfortably stand there and get a feel for it. If you know anyone with it get a loan for a night or two and i am sure the controller will open your eyes.

In saying that as i have kids and a wife *sigh* im limited gametime in sitting room so the wii u is class as no need for the tv.

Im not trying to be a fanboy but i feel people beed to be aware of the possibilities with the console. Even this thread name is purely putting the console down no debate about it.

Retro said it aswell pikmin 3 is a darkhorse for game of the year and i agree fabulous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The way I see it is nintendo are falling short in some areas and knocking it out of the park in others.
    I think they should forget the WiiU altogether and get together with Sega and release another console.
    That will solve all the problems as Sega does what Nintendont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Sega does what Nintendont.
    Nintendo are still making systems, so yeah, that's true... Not exactly a positive sentiment though.

Its a fantastic controller im talking from experience using it.

the current list of wii u games couldnt justify buying the console?? Really? Add to that this year Mk8 donkey kong yoshis yarn and bayonetta 2 off hand and future games announced dont make you want one?

If you dont see value in the console fair play but to any real gamer the console is worth its current price easily

Your perception of value is different from others. Sales proving that you are in minority, it's as easy as,that.

Every single title you listed are meh for me.

Good graphics and good ART STYLE are as important as gameplay

No they're not

A game can look crap but play great and it's still a great game

A game that looks great an plays crap is never anything other than crap

No they're not

A game can look crap but play great and it's still a great game

A game that looks great an plays crap is never anything other than crap

/facepalm

Completely agree with COYVB.

Unless it's a very story driven game, gameplay always comes first. Then I would say art style and finally graphics.

What good are graphics if the art style is boring or poor?

• Advertisement

/facepalm

You're the one who said good graphics were AS IMPORTANT a good gameplay, which, tbh, is something you'd expect to hear from a 16 year old who's been gaming for a few years

Advertisement