Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

COYVB wrote: »
    You're the one who said good graphics were AS IMPORTANT a good gameplay, which, tbh, is something you'd expect to hear from a 16 year old who's been gaming for a few years

It is important to make a good game. Like everything, it needs balance, between graphics, art style and gameplay.

You did not even bothered reading my post, that's why facepalm.

Just blabbing that the only think that matters is, gameplay is as stupid as, saying that only graphics are important.
    Good graphics and art style ( not same thing by the way) have a huge part in gameplay experience and immersion too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

/facepalm

Facepalm at your facepalm that poster is right imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All you need really is good art. Good graphics and good art aren't mutually inclusive. PS1 games look incredibly shonky but if you have a game like Parrappa the Rappa with great art that works within the constraints of the machine it still looks great even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It is important to make a good game. Like everything, it needs balance, between graphics, art style and gameplay.

You did not even bothered reading my post, that's why facepalm.

Just blabbing that the only think that matters is, gameplay is as stupid as, saying that only graphics are important.
    Good graphics and art style ( not same thing by the way) have a huge part in gameplay experience and immersion too.

A game has to have good gameplay to justify anyone buying it.. graphics etc are all add ons and a bonus to a game...

how can you as a gamer say graphics are paramount no tgey are not

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

There's a reason why Age of Conan never beat out World of Warcraft as some crazies thought would happen years ago.

• Advertisement

Bah, I am not going to even bother going deeper in to this as it is all seen as black and white. No point discussing it anymore as it won't go anywhere.

Only gameplay that matters and not graphics is a. Stupid old phrase which is as dumb and bad as logic off - There is only good and evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pong has no art style, the worst possible graphics without resorting to Ascii text and is still a kick ass game. Because it plays well. It's simple, it's intuitive and as long as you're not playing a cheap knock-off, it's refined. Gameplay.

I'm trying to think of a beautiful game that plays like a pig to cement my point. Alas, I can't. I have a WiiU and all the games are simply fantastic :) Except for Black Ops 2. There you go, it looks pretty as hell but the action keeps breaking up while they force feed you conspiracy nut nonsense or put your experience on rails. A cacophony of shaders and surround sound and multimedia. Not so much Graphics over Gameplay, it's Production Values over the Value of the Product. It is the AntiPong.

Shadowhearth - I disagree with you but... how can I put this? I see your point. Graphics are not unimportant. But if I go back now and play Wolfenstein 3D, while what I notice first is how far on the graphics have moved, what really ruins the experience is how flat it all is. Maybe you can map a mouse for looking around, but that's not how I used to play it, and you feel shackled, trapped inside a shell that is artificially restricting your movement instead of immersed in the game. You know, like the way you feel in every single Resident Evil game. The subsequent gameplay refinements are what stops me going back.

The "nintendo" gaming experience overall reminds me of childhood holidays and 80s-style kids movies. Not that the games are specifically for kids or are child-like as such, just the feeling they give you - That cocktail of wonder and delight. It's special. But... look I love the Goonies and Ghostbusters and Super 8 (hey, apart from it's release date, it's an 80s movie!). I love waterparks and building sand castles. But sometimes I want to go out late at night and drink and listen to loud music. I want to see photos of myself wearing a cone for a codpiece and not remember the events that lead up to or away from that moment. And Nintendo don't cater for that feeling. Where wonder is replaced by jeopardy, where delight is replaced by more jeopardy, by recklessness and probably a lot of violence. I want that Rockstar feeling. Grand Theft Auto. Max Payne. That "it's midnight in New York, I'm armed, I'm drunk and I'm wearing sunglasses" feeling. And they even proved you can deliver it in a way that gels with the Nintendo ethos with Bully. God damn, I miss Rockstar...
    (Yes I know they're still around but I'm a one console man and my PC has been out of action a few years)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

No they're not

A game can look crap but play great and it's still a great game

A game that looks great an plays crap is never anything other than crap
    tok9 wrote: »
    Completely agree with COYVB.

Unless it's a very story driven game, gameplay always comes first. Then I would say art style and finally graphics.

What good are graphics if the art style is boring or poor?

I'd agree that good graphics aren't all that important, but a good UI, art style, etc is very important. UI kinda ties in with graphics and gameplay and is probably the most important of all.
    A game can look poor but play great and people will still enjoy it, but the inverse is also true (FFXIII). To say that art style and graphics are unimportant is a bit of hyperbole. They're not essential to a good game, but they certainly add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Banjo wrote: »
    Pong has no art style, the worst possible graphics without resorting to Ascii text and is still a kick ass game. Because it plays well. It's simple, it's intuitive and as long as you're not playing a cheap knock-off, it's refined. Gameplay.

I'm trying to think of a beautiful game that plays like a pig to cement my point. Alas, I can't. I have a WiiU and all the games are simply fantastic :) Except for Black Ops 2. There you go, it looks pretty as hell but the action keeps breaking up while they force feed you conspiracy nut nonsense or put your experience on rails. A cacophony of shaders and surround sound and multimedia. Not so much Graphics over Gameplay, it's Production Values over the Value of the Product. It is the AntiPong.

Shadowhearth - I disagree with you but... how can I put this? I see your point. Graphics are not unimportant. But if I go back now and play Wolfenstein 3D, while what I notice first is how far on the graphics have moved, what really ruins the experience is how flat it all is. Maybe you can map a mouse for looking around, but that's not how I used to play it, and you feel shackled, trapped inside a shell that is artificially restricting your movement instead of immersed in the game. You know, like the way you feel in every single Resident Evil game. The subsequent gameplay refinements are what stops me going back.

The "nintendo" gaming experience overall reminds me of childhood holidays and 80s-style kids movies. Not that the games are specifically for kids or are child-like as such, just the feeling they give you - That cocktail of wonder and delight. It's special. But... look I love the Goonies and Ghostbusters and Super 8 (hey, apart from it's release date, it's an 80s movie!). I love waterparks and building sand castles. But sometimes I want to go out late at night and drink and listen to loud music. I want to see photos of myself wearing a cone for a codpiece and not remember the events that lead up to or away from that moment. And Nintendo don't cater for that feeling. Where wonder is replaced by jeopardy, where delight is replaced by more jeopardy, by recklessness and probably a lot of violence. I want that Rockstar feeling. Grand Theft Auto. Max Payne. That "it's midnight in New York, I'm armed, I'm drunk and I'm wearing sunglasses" feeling. And they even proved you can deliver it in a way that gels with the Nintendo ethos with Bully. God damn, I miss Rockstar...
    (Yes I know they're still around but I'm a one console man and my PC has been out of action a few years)

I agree, sometimes you need to just go and 'fcuk sh1t up' to quote Kenny Powers and thats why I have my pc, ps3 and xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

At this stage I can't see the Wii U selling particularly well. Other than what I already stated about removing the tablet controller as a compulsory device.

Getting rid of the tablet controller would be the stupidest idea in the history of stupid, There is no way they should throw away their one big advantage of this generation,
    Pachter was stupid for even suggesting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

macker33 wrote: »
    Getting rid of the tablet controller would be the stupidest idea in the history of stupid, There is no way they should throw away their one big advantage of this generation,
    Pachter suggested Nintendo releasing their own IP on the PS4 and One... to promote Wii U sales. Yep. He isn't one to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

macker33 wrote: »

I would argue the stupidest idea was putting it in with the console in the first place.

I would argue the stupidest idea was putting it in with the console in the first place.
    Considering how much the people who've used it extensively love it... I'm inclined to disagree.

I would argue that that controller is the only thing that makes wii u interesting at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Hmm... everyone is entitled to their opinion but at the end of the day the console is selling badly.

As game developers, Nintendo are amazing. Absolutely no question about it.

But the same couldn't be said as console makers. Fair enough the 3DS is selling outrageously well but you could hardly say it's due to it's main feature. I fell there is a very similar problem with the Wii U.

My take on the situation? Nintendo were counting on third parties to release titles to tide them over until they released more first party stuff. Given that stuff was delayed, the games they themselves did were not on a proper schedule for the console to make enough of an impact. It isn't great that so much time had to go between console release and seeing games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros, for example. Some might say them releasing close to the One and PS4 would be a bad move. I disagree. I think it was after those consoles released that it had the best month. Release of Super Mario 3D World I think. It isn't really in direct competition. Nintendo does something that will appeal to its audience, it doesn't matter what the others are doing. It'll do well. What I want to see from the next Nintendo console is much better pacing for releases. I don't care when the next console comes out, there should be a proper "ok, this title this month, that title that month" and so on.

Edit: Yeah, when Super Mario 3D World came out, it brought a huge amount of sales.

www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/12/15/wii-u-sales-surge-340-in-november-still-down-from-launch/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nintendo don't generate the same about of buzz sony and microsoft do in the home console market.

I cannot feel its a image problem even with as success as the wii brand was I cannot help but feel alot of newer generation of kids only seen what the wii was and you know what ever your parents are into you think is uncool.

even with mainsteam journalist sites or reports even you only hear Playstation vs Xbox , even last gen it was ps3 vs 360, Nintendo were never mentioned.

A problem nintendo cannot really tackle but Assuming with miiverse and nintendo direct It seems Nintendo are trying to do their own thing once again to generate hype directly for their games and products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The game pad is great, it just needs to be used properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Now outsold the 360 in Japan. Though that's hardly surprising

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Now outsold the 360 in Japan. Though that's hardly surprising

So it sold more than 8 units?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

cloud493 wrote: »
    The game pad is great, it just needs to be used properly.

I agree it could be used to great effect but that said I don't want them to unless they leave remote play as an option.

From what I've read Lego city undercover was meant to have remote play but they ran out of time &or money to finishing developing the remote play so it was just left off meaning you have to play it on the your telly with no option to go remote screen. What's worse or just as annoying is the game pad use was rubbish. Zoom here zoom there take a picture here, etc..

Again wouldn't annoy so much if they had been able to give the remote play option but they didn't meaning I finished the game but will never go back to it for side missions or collectibles where as if it were on the game pad I'd have definately put more into it.

Bottom line game pad option should be mandatory. After that they can do whatever the hell they want with it once I can play remotely.

Off screen play is great. But it shouldn't just be off screen play and then they abandon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

A game has to have good gameplay to justify anyone buying it.. graphics etc are all add ons and a bonus to a game...

how can you as a gamer say graphics are paramount no tgey are not

Why did you buy an X1 if graphics are not important?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'd love to own it now with Super mario 3D world and NMB Wii u and Luigi wiiu but €300 is too much, I'll wait for the price to drop as it's currently a current gen console with a next gen price that currently can't compete with the competition and 3rd parties know this. I know Nintendo are losing money on each console and won't be in a hurry to lose more money on it but a price drop and a good showing at E3 is the only way I can see the Wii u recovering as they badly need more 3rd parties on board. Nintendo make the best games in the world but one amazing company and the odd 3rd party game along with a very expensive console price is simply not good enough.

For me I have a PS3, 3DS, Wii and as well as a large backlog theirs Playstation plus which is the best value thing in the world. I much prefer console games to PC gaming but €300 goes a VERY long way on Steam and theirs an endless amount of free/cheap games on the android market. The Wii u may not be competing directly with the PS4 but in a way all gaming devices are competing against each other for a limited amount of time a gamer has for games.

Why did you buy an X1 if graphics are not important?
    To continue to play the newest games, presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pushtrak wrote: »
    To continue to play the newest games, presumably.

Like what?

Like what?
    Really? You don't know the games you can only get on next gen, and not current gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Really? You don't know the games you can only get on next gen, and not current gen?

Have to say I'm with Tipsy on this one, there are precious few out at the moment.

There's actually very little stuff out right now you can't get on the Wii U, unless you count console exclusives.

• Advertisement

New Nintendo direct for tomorrow. Lets see what they show.

Advertisement