Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

tok9 wrote: »
    Who are the directs aimed at?

Will it make the WiiU owners excited? To an extent I'd say yes.. you get a look at the games coming out soon.

Does it make the potential customers excited? Not really.. at least not for me. All I know is Donkey Kong and MK are coming out over the next 3 months and then Bayonetta sometime this year. No idea on X.

What's annoying for me is I already know all about these games. What's worrying is that there wasn't any announcement of any other upcoming games.

Nintendo will most likely show unannounced or previously unseen titles just before E3 in June. Many of the games revealed in last year's summer Direct still aren't out, so they were never going to unveil any major new titles now.

But that people are disappointed by that is a sign of just how threadbare Wii U's current release schedule is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The issue is that it's not Nintendo faithful the Direct broadcasts should be aimed at, they, or should I say we, are already going to buy Donkey Kong, Nes Remix 2 and the rest.
    However, what this thing needed was a Watchdogs gameplay video and release date, a view of the stuff in development over the next 18 months, so Metroid, physical release of WiiU Sports Club and so on.

Like it or not, it's the people who don't like the WiiU right now that need to be attracted to buy, and as hard as that might be it's the only Nintendo will keep their home console ambitions alive. Otherwise they forsake this gen completely, as a console for the common gamer and will have to be satisfied with the niche Nintendo fan, and that would be a great pity.

A console with similar power to the other new machines, coupled with the ingenuity of Nintendo, would have been an awesome thing, and it may turn out to be a mistake on the scale of Sega making the Saturn so hard to make 3d on, pushing so much development onto the easier to programme PS. If I have the details of that era wrong forgive me, but the general gist is right.
    By the time they released a console to compete with the next PS it was too late, Sega had lost the hearts of the majority of gamers and only Sega faithful invested.
    Let's hope that Nintendo don't do the same.

I want to make it clear that their handheld business is a separate issue and Nintendo have consistently read the market right, although their success appear to hinge more on a keen price point and great software rather than the perfect grouping of hardware features.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing new was ever going to be shown with E3 only about 3 months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nothing new was ever going to be shown with E3 only about 3 months away.

Yes, and it was flagged that this Nintendo Direct was only going to be about releases in Spring 2014.

But.

That might have worked if they had stuck to that and focused entirely on Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, expanded on the indie and retro stuff. When the presentation was instead padded out by showing post-spring Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2 and X footage, my initial impression was "hmm, so nothing else new then?" Which is presumably not true.

OK Smash Bros had a new reveal, so maybe leave that in. But no point in including the others, as it only leads one to ask what else is coming in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

druss wrote: »
    That might have worked if they had stuck to that and focused entirely on Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, expanded on the indie and retro stuff. When the presentation was instead padded out by showing post-spring Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2 and X footage, my initial impression was "hmm, so nothing else new then?" Which is presumably not true.
    I think its good they showed the Bayonetta 2 and X stuff. It's basically a 'yes, work is continuing on these titles you know about' thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I agree - they needed to show us something to keep the flame alive. No one is worried about DK, MK or SSB - and given that Bayonetta and X are Wii U only, I don't think showing more of them is really doing anything to put my fears about this console to rest. We need hope. Reminding us how spartan the next year is looking so far is not the way to do it.

Either show us nothing or show us something special. Something to show that Watchdogs is definitely going to arrive at some stage would be nice, and if it shows that it'll be worth the wait so much the better. Some sort of teaser reel to get a buzz going for E3 would also have been nice. We, the faithful, have had a long winter of discontent. We need a good news story - make glorious summer by this Son of Metroid! - and this Direct wasn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Surprised we haven't seen this generations pokemon battle game yet. There's always one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A dedicated Animal Crossing title, with interaction with the 3ds title.
    A new Kirby title, on the WiiU, I am really looking forward to the 3ds game.
    Maybe a new Metroid Prime title.
    New Earthbound /Mother game.
    Perhaps a big help would be to see Codemasters and EA bringing content to the WiiU, I know we say that's not what the console is for but if they can bring current IP to the last gen there is no excuse for the WiiU to not host it, providing the console with the content they need to hav, something to play in between dedicated WiiU titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I understand what people are saying about there being E3 round the corner and not wanting to show the hand so to speak but I was still expecting a better presentation than that.

That said in fairness I speak as a Wii U owner and not a 3DS owner (although I now want a yoshi's 3DS)

14 mins from a 40 mins presentation aimed at your main home console market to me was just piss poor to say the least.

I understand the 3DS is the cash cow for Nintendo but surely they want to get people interested in their home console? :confused:

Anyway it wont deter me from continuing with my buying of pretty much all the titles they provide for the machine like DK, MK, SSB, Bayonetta. I want them all and I think they all look absolutely incredible btw which is why I'm just surprised, even though I probably shouldnt be at this stage with Nintendo's lack lustre approach to their marketing of the Wii U. Its as if they dont want to sell units even though they have some amazing stuff there and more in the backround they're not talking about.

If I were a non Wii U owner that really would not have impressed me at all which begs the question.. What are they playing at?

Every single big WiiU release will be bought this year, the number of releases may be small relative to other platforms out there but there is relatively little dross there, such good games, worthy of anyone's attention.

That said, I seem to be spending most of my money on PS3 games at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jernal wrote: »
    Taste in games and everything is subjective so I never really understand the "Rubbish" comment. However, I am going to ask you qualify your comment.

What genre's do you like and don't like?

I love platformers- timing and precision. Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman Origins and Legends, and New Super Mario Bros Wii are my favourite recent ones. I would never say those games are the best of all time they're just my personal favs.

I will play anything that is not a Sports game with number of a current year in the end.
    Dont understand me wrong, I like platformers and the last one one I enjoyed A LOT was Rogue Legacy. But even then Rogue Legacy was a lot more Unique and fresh then all of those platforming games showed the other night put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I will play anything that is not a Sports game with number of a current year in the end.
    Dont understand me wrong, I like platformers and the last one one I enjoyed A LOT was Rogue Legacy. But even then Rogue Legacy was a lot more Unique and fresh then all of those platforming games showed the other night put together.

Maddon's a laugh even if you don't like sports games and/or know nothing about american football.

Rogue Legacy is lovely, my son is playing it on PC via Steam, me I'm waiting for a Vita release.
    There really are some time eaters out there that put most of the next gen titles to shame, Terraria is another one, brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

If you had played Xenoblade you'd be excited by X. It might look like a crappy mmo battle system but its anything but. The battle system in that game is fantastic.

Xenoblade holds such a premium now for a relatively modern game. I've been on the lookout for a while for a fair deal with no success so far. Is it just that good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Xenoblade holds such a premium now for a relatively modern game. I've been on the lookout for a while for a fair deal with no success so far. Is it just that good?

It's a japanese RPG released at the end of a consoles life cycle. All the warning signs were there for it to end up rare and expensive.

It's an extremely good game I have to say, the best RPG I've played since Persona 4 that isn't called Dark Souls. Not sure what price if goes for now but it's more that it's become a rarity that the price has gone up coupled with the fact that it's a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I bought a WiiU the other week. I meant to pick it up a long time ago.
    The selection of games aren't great, but I'm not overly worried about that. I'm expecting a few good ones to come over this year.
    I've got Wind Waker right now, which will cover me for a few weeks at the rate I'm going. I also have Super Mario Bros U & Zombie U. Should tie me over for a while until something decent hits the shelf's.

If NSMB2 is floating your boat look out for Luigi U as well.
    Super Mario 3D World is incredible.
    Donkey Kong is out in a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If NSMB2 is floating your boat look out for Luigi U as well.
    Super Mario 3D World is incredible.
    Donkey Kong is out in a week or two.

6 days.......

A week or two hmph

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Mister Man wrote: »
    I bought a WiiU the other week. I meant to pick it up a long time ago.
    The selection of games aren't great, but I'm not overly worried about that. I'm expecting a few good ones to come over this year.
    I've got Wind Waker right now, which will cover me for a few weeks at the rate I'm going. I also have Super Mario Bros U & Zombie U. Should tie me over for a while until something decent hits the shelf's.

Mario 3d is a far superior game to mario bros, you should check out lego city undercover as well.
    You should check out batman arkham city and deus ex as well, really good games

macker33 wrote: »
    Mario 3d is a far superior game to mario bros, you should check out lego city undercover as well.

I don't think nsmb gets enough praise. It looks great and plays even better. Loads of replay value as well. I put many many hours into it.

Mario 3D world gets more praise because its more innovative and different. Lots of different ideas crammed into it. Plays great and is a seriously good looking game.

I wouldn't go as far to say its a far superior game though.

Both are superb in their own way.

I agree on Lego City. It will rob many hours of your life. Some great comedy and fun gameplay. Surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did.

• Advertisement

Have to agree, Super Mario Bros U is one of the ebst platform games ever made.

I'd also recommend Pikmin 3 which is an amazing game and a contender for game of the year if only more people had played it.

Have to agree, Super Mario Bros U is one of the ebst platform games ever made.

I'd also recommend Pikmin 3 which is an amazing game and a contender for game of the year if only more people had played it.

Glad I'm not the only one that gives nsmb credit.

Pikmin is a game I will definately play but I've a few to get through first. It looks fantastic! Love the vibrant colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I found Super Luigi U to be a more engaging game than NSMBU, as you can pretty much clear the latter on auto-pilot, but hey, it's a Mario game, so you safely expect a certain quality out of it.

Gotta say, I felt rayman beat nsmbu by a wide margin. Nsmbu is slick but didn't feel like that much love was poured into the mix

Rayman Legends I feel is a bit over rated. IT's very pretty but it doesn't have the imagination of a good MArio game where every level has something new.

But that's the thing, neither (in my opinion) did NSMBu . Rayman may not be SMW or Yoshis Island but it had plenty of good ideas, more than its fair share.. NSMBu I felt was 2D Mario by numbers. I'm not comparing either to the galaxy or super 3d series

Well I've not played all of NSMB, not even halfway through but I thought it did a good job of introducing new elements in the same way that made the Wii version such an amazing game. Maybe later on it loses steam?

Well I've not played all of NSMB, not even halfway through but I thought it did a good job of introducing new elements in the same way that made the Wii version such an amazing game. Maybe later on it loses steam?

If anything it gets better. It gets harder and more rewarding the further you go.

I'm looking forward to going back to it tbh. 3D world is great dont get me wrong but there's still something about 2D Mario that just works so so well. And I think they packed enough replay in there to give serious value for money between the challenges and when you finish the full game you have extra levels so to speak.

Maybe I gave up on it too early? I'll give it another chance after I finish sm3dw. And Lego city undercover. I should probably crack into deus ex as well. Oh, and W101. Oh crap, Pikmin just got delivered - curse you, bargain alerts thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

started rayman the other night and its great fun. love the daily challenges and the first musical level, black betty, wow! there seems to be so much content there.

Also started Deus ex recently and can't get in to it at all, the controls seem off. Maybe I'll try the pro controller instead.

Advertisement