Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Did Nintendo do E3 last year ? I can remember they did something but I dont recall if they had an event like Sony and MS

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Did Nintendo do E3 last year ? I can remember they did something but I dont recall if they had an event like Sony and MS

They skipped it apart from renting a room with nintendo stuff in it, i think they had a big nintendo direct instead,
    they also as far as i know set up booths around the place to allow people to play their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Off the current discussions topic but related to the threads title.

If people consider the WII U dead they might as well throw the Xbox One in with it too. Last week for example the Wii U sold 36k units roughly worldwide versus 53k for the Xbox One.

It might seem as if the industry is failing but it's not too bad considering the 3DS and PS4 sold about 140k each and the PS3 sold 60k last week and it hasn't had it's still pretty expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

RoyalCelt wrote: »

If people consider the WII U dead they might as well throw the Xbox One in with it too. Last week for example the Wii U sold 36k units roughly worldwide versus 53k for the Xbox One.

It might seem as if the industry is failing but it's not too bad considering the 3DS and PS4 sold about 140k each and the PS3 sold 60k last week and it hasn't had it's still pretty expensive.

Its almost certain that the WiiU will sell more units in Japan than the XB1.
    Ultimately the stat that will matter will be the numbers the PS4 and Vita TV will do there.
    I'm still hoping for a resurgence in WiiU sales in Japan myself, spurring on some decent 3rd party development.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Rayman Legends I feel is a bit over rated. IT's very pretty but it doesn't have the imagination of a good MArio game where every level has something new.

Unfortunately there are previous few, if no, titles that can compare to a good Mario game.
    That said, the French come close with the Rayman series, with Origins and Legends bringing some gorgeous art into the mix.
    It reminds me of Rayman 2 on the N64, it was unfairly maligned as not being as inventive as Mario 64 but it was probably the 2nd best 3D platformer on the system, with beautiful visuals as well and plenty of new elements throw in along the way.
    It's a testament to the game that it was rereleased on the DS and 3DS.
    At least it didn't follow the Banjo/DK64 route of becoming all about the myriad of collectibles, keeping a linear progression with colour and wit.
    DK64 went to show how wrong a sprawling hub based game can go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

But who actually considers it dead? You have to remember when quoting sales numbers that there has been a worldwide recession and a console for 400 or 500 without games is a big sale... the wii u might be less pricewise but those that can afford a console are buying xbox or ps4 for exclusives and multiplatform games.. the wii u is a luxury a real luxury imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

But who actually considers it dead? You have to remember when quoting sales numbers that there has been a worldwide recession and a console for 400 or 500 without games is a big sale... the wii u might be less pricewise but those that can afford a console are buying xbox or ps4 for exclusives and multiplatform games.. the wii u is a luxury a real luxury imo.

*points to thread title*

Some one obviously does, though I doubt it's Nintendo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

How can you consider any new console dead after a few months :confused:
    By that logic the PS3 would have been dead too after a bad first year but it went on to sell huge in later years ,and is still selling

Please don't start this argument again, there's enough quasi trolling about sales numbers elsewhere and I'd hate to see a thread being dragged into that mire.
    The XB1 is doing OK, not PS4 numbers but that doesn't make it a failure.
    The same type of nonsense was about with the N64 and Gamecube being considered failures, but they were only lacking in comparison to the PS and PS2, otherwise they did quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

All i want is Lego City Undercover on the PS4.....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jenjenten wrote: »
    All i want is Lego City Undercover on the PS4.....!!!

Nintendo funded the development so you are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Stupid Nintendo, funding the games I want to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

was in hmv today getting NSMBU and Lego City and tried to trade in Super Mario 3d world and they didn't have it on their system. I know they're not a major player anymore but was still suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

sweetie wrote: »
    was in hmv today getting NSMBU and Lego City and tried to trade in Super Mario 3d world and they didn't have it on their system. I know they're not a major player anymore but was still suprised.

Maybe as it was such a ridiculous request that the computer simply said no. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I watched that yesterday and while it felt like a criticism of Nintendo it quickly turned into a Thank Glob for Ninty, with the two underpowered PCs masquerading as games consoles.
    Funny too.
    There was also the point that the Nintendo WiiU is the only system that focuses on games.
    Really though, the people who pour scorn on the WiiU should get stuffed, only people with a valid opinion own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Well I wont be afraid to admit that I that playstation is my main console and has been ever since the ps1. While having experienced nintendo products in the past and owning such platforms as the nes , snes , gameboys having skipped both n64 and gamcube and going back to the wii which I bought as a family system to play wii sports and was not till much later in the console lifecycle I realised it actually had great games, I knew with the wii u what I was getting myself into but I thought it could of been a little bit stronger.

Most people know I am not a mario fan but reality is I am not particulary interested in most nintendo first party stuff other than the zelda games and metroid games. I bought the wii u on the limb thinking it with have the niche hidden gems like the wii had with the likes of fragile dreams , no more heroes,last story, pandora tower. Whether similar games will come remains to be seen so I knew I be very rarely playing it.

The main purpose I bought it was for platinum games who I grown attached to last generation with bayonetta, vanquish , metal gear rising revengence. I cannot wait for bayonetta 2 and whenever I get the chance to buy wonderful 101.

I think critisims towards the wii u from people are not entirely wrong and people who enjoy the console are not crazy to enjoy the wii u.

As I said awhile back in this thread I feel the wii u is stuck in the middle and being different from the rest of the playground with the other kids thats it being made fun off for being older than the rest but not keeping up at the same time.

It interesting that if you remove the wii console you see the nintendo install base really shrinking and thats worrying times for their home console business.

I know nintendo like being very hush hush and love to polish games to the t and always holding a standard to their image for being a family friendly company with content but I think instead of trying to catch the casuals they really need to try to grab the core gamer not to suggest for them to make games with guns and blood but to really try suave people to buy a wii u.

Making mario all the time, mario kart, zelda isnt going to help anymore. Their needs to be more fresh new game experiences out that we have not seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Really though, the people who pour scorn on the WiiU should get stuffed, only people with a valid opinion own one.

That is unbelievably harsh imo.

Most people who don't have one and are criticizing are doing so because they like seeing Nintendo do well.. I know I do.

I've never played the last of us but i think its the worst game ever.

Thats wii u bashers in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Making mario all the time, mario kart, zelda isnt going to help anymore. Their needs to be more fresh new game experiences out that we have not seen before.

Well that's what's tragic about this thread. Super Mario 3D world is chock full of new game experiences, held together by a familiar narrative. I think the problem is more of an IP fatigue / perception issue. Oh here we go, more innovative platforming hijinks, yawn! If SM3DW was a new Indy title starring a monkey with a shoe for a face that you could only buy on Nokia phones between 6 and 7pm on a Tuesday it would be the biggest game of the year.

BTW, maybe its my midweek beers talking (its not, I'm an a$$hole every day of the week) but Richy, your malapproprism abuse is shocking. Or your spell checker hates you. Given mine subbed "Marta give" for narrative I shouldn't moan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I have read this thread with a lot of love and sadness. This one might be long.
    I don't normally post on games threads but I read a lot of them but this one has my interest, more so because I bought a Wii U at Christmas.

I love Nintendo and what they do, fantastic games and hours of enjoyment, and I mean hours. I'm not getting in to what a lot of posters here are getting at that the Wii U has loads of quality games, it does, and doesn't!

I've always had a Nintendo, back from the Nes and always got quality enjoyment out of each and every one. So many hours and so little time for real lif as I like to think of it as you always want more!

Saying that I have owned a high powered PC, Xbox, Xbox 360, Ps1, Ps2, Ps3. I'm fickle at times.

I remember playing Half Life on a crappy PC ..fantastic..then the second on a different level..HL2...OMG! Back in the day I was a fanboy of Nintendo's..I really was and still am to a certain extent. I've been out of the gaming world for a bit but always kept my finger on the pulse so they say!!

Here's the thing, I hate that the Wii U isn't selling well, I have put that many hours in since Christmas, it's it's nuts, what with work and going out at the weekend (I don't even have a missus!).

Super Mario 3D World is a delight to play but I get that some people don't like platformers but back in the day you couldn't not be impressed with Super Mario 64 , it redefined everything as far as I'm concerned with a multitude of coopycats etc.

When people say Nintendo should think of other IP or whatever you call it...why?? It works. Mario, Zelda, Metroid.....The innovation I've seen, yes, maybe it would work with different characters but why so? The inventiveness is still there.

I should have a blog...

Third party support is a problem which will see the downfall of the Wii U it has to be said, and there shouldn't be an argument about that at all, it really is a fact, even with Nintendo's cash reserves but that won't be for a year or a year and a half IMO.

For anyone still reading..

Exclusives;

I've spent more time playing Unchartered than I care to thing about, Halo too but more so Unchartered but it is a third party game I thing commissioned by Sony? One of you peoples can correct me there.

I will buy a PS4 but not yet (give me Unchartered and I'll swap you for my my mammy who makes a good stew), I am putting my time in to the Wii U when I can, played a bit of Deus Ex earlier..prefer JC Denton (and I know it's multi platform) but was enjoying it"

If you read to here well done and but a cheap Wii U! Also I'll kick your arse at Mario Kart when it comes out..and maybe the original Snes version or Street Fighter 2 on it..Anyway I digress..

Sincerely

A disillusioned eegit on this thread!

N.B. I couldn't give a fcuk about off TV play on the gamepad of the Wii U but you didn't make it this far :)

/few spelling mistakes in there but I'm not correcting them :)

//Oh an fcuk you Shadowhearth you PC loving bastard :)

Off screens handy if you want to take the game to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Banjo wrote: »
    Well that's what's tragic about this thread. Super Mario 3D world is chock full of new game experiences, held together by a familiar narrative. I think the problem is more of an IP fatigue / perception issue. Oh here we go, more innovative platforming hijinks, yawn! If SM3DW was a new Indy title starring a monkey with a shoe for a face that you could only buy on Nokia phones between 6 and 7pm on a Tuesday it would be the biggest game of the year.

BTW, maybe its my midweek beers talking (its not, I'm an a$$hole every day of the week) but Richy, your malapproprism abuse is shocking. Or your spell checker hates you. Given mine subbed "Marta give" for narrative I shouldn't moan

This is an amazing point, and one I've tried to put forward less successfully than the way you worded it. If any XboxOne or PS4 have has much inventiveness and new experiences than Mario 3D World than it will deserve to a console seller in itself.

It just seems some people need something completely new visually before they'd try it or take part in it. The monkey with the shoe for a face would sell incredibly, MonkeyFall! :pac:

Most people are as dumb as a bag of rocks and like the comfort of following the others in order to feel safe, a herd mentality.
    If they are startled by something, say an Internet trolling campaign, they'll lose confidence and look for another herd to follow, probably wind up with a large EA games collection.

Ninty may use the same characters but their implementation is usually marked with innovation, much IP use on other platforms had been marked by improved visuals masquerading as something new.
    Uncharted 4, do you really think it's going to further the genre or is it going to be another ripping adventure but with nicer visuals?
    If Titanfall is playable on the 360 doesn't if make it sad that as next gen title or is leaving exclusively on a visual upgrade and moderate improvements elsewhere to sell the next gen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Uncharted 4, do you really think it's going to further the genre or is it going to be another ripping adventure but with nicer visuals?

Did you ask the same question when you heard they were making Uncharted 2?

I'd have a lot of confidence in Naughty Dog to deliver a quality product, the same way I would in Nintendo.

Let's be fair here too, there most definitely is innovation in Nintendo products but a lot of the time, they are improving on an excellent game.

Look at the Metroid Prime series. All great games but after the 1st I wouldn't say there was a major innovation in those games. Still superb.

Super Mario Galaxy - I actually played the second game first as that was when I got a Wii and it was amazing. Went back to play the first one too and I'd be hard pushed to tell you which one was the sequel but again an absolutely great game.

If Naughty dog produce a game to the same quality of UC2 or better I know I'll have a blast with it.

Edit: And that's exactly how I feel about Dark Souls. I already know 2 is more of the same with some tweaks and I can't wait for it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mario Kart has gone stale, there I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mario Kart has gone stale, there I said it.

I agree, Peaked at Double Dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Has this "debate" not been done to death at this point?

People who want top of the range graphics buy a pc.
    Poeple who want top of the range console graphics buy a ps4 or xboxone.
    People who want 3rd party support buy one of the above or all of the above.
    People who want 1st party Nintendo titles buy a wii u and one of the above if you want better graphics and 3rd party support.

Will the wii u compete with ps4 or xboxone sales wise? No, not a chance.
    Does it want to compete with ps4 or xboxone? Well maybe but without 3rd party support it is and will be a 2nd console for many and pass for a lot of others.

The latest arguement that I see people using is that Nintendo recycle IP's. Yes they do as does every other platform but my god they are fantastic. Mario 3D World has some of the best graphics of the current gen including pc, ps4 or xboxone. It looks gorgeous. It also has huge variety of gameplay. As one of the other posters mentioned if you put a different character in there it'd be hailed as one of the best games ever. Its the sort of game you could play for a year and not get tired of it.

Will those same people still buy the latest COD or Battlefield or Halo or Uncharted?? Damn right they will and they'll praise it to the hilt for its outstanding graphics even though all it is is an updated version of their favourite IP with very little new ideas in comparion to something like Mario 3D World.

I think back to the old console war debates like the mega drive vs the snes. At least there was differences. People are arguing about which is better ps4 or xboxone and dismissing the wii u even though its the one that offers something very different and interesting.

I really should clarify that I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. If anything I was on the Sega side of the fence for many years but I'm a gaming fan and the wii u offers something that I cant get on the other consoles at the minute.

And dont get me wrong I'll most definately at some point in the next 18 months get a new console to replace my 360 which at this point imo still has at least a year of life in it with slightly less powerfull versions of most of the AAA releases like Titanfall, etc..
    I will more likely get the PS4 when the time comes although I'm tempted by a gaming laptop for ultimate remote play! :D Cost will be the issue hence I'll probably settle for a PS4 and use my Vita for remote play.

Anyway surely all of this comes back to my original points. People need to choose platform that suits their needs the most. More than likely the wii u isnt going to be your primary platform.

The wii u is not dead in the water.

It will continue for another few years yet and will release some of the best games of its generation you can be gauranteed that.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Banjo wrote: »

by all means take my opinions with a grain of salt , I will never belittle the mario franchise or the way nintendo makes their games as you just said there is plenty of fresh new experiences in the game that people simply do not give a chance. I was merely addressing what I think nintendo could do to enhance more people over because reality is and it could make you sick to your core that people would rather rush out and buy knack than play mario.

and I do apologise for using the wrong words at times. when you are typing long paragraphs late at night listening to metallica at the same time it often gets overlooked the mistakes I made :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

and I do apologise for using the wrong words at times. when you are typing long paragraphs late at night listening to metallica at the same time it often gets overlooked the mistakes I made :pac:

In a way, the public perception of Nintento is a bit like that of Metallica. Sure it was great in the 80s and 90s, but now they're just coasting on consumer sentiment and past glories and it's only kids and nostalgia freaks buy their new stuff. :p

Advertisement