Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

druss wrote: »
    In a way, the public perception of Nintento is a bit like that of Metallica. Sure it was great in the 80s and 90s, but now they're just coasting on consumer sentiment and past glories and it's only kids and nostalgia freaks buy their new stuff. :p

But unlike Metallica Nintendo are still knocking it out of the park with the qaulity of their games, just people refusing to take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But unlike Metallica Nintendo are still knocking it out of the park with the qaulity of their games, just people refusing to take notice.

Hence why I said "public perception" of Nintendo!* I actually agree with you on the quality issue. I would also say that last week was the first time I ever saw a tv ad purely for a Wii U game (Mario + Sonic Sochi). The truth just isn't out there.

*(For Metallica, on the other hand, public opinion agrees with my own and is therefore accurate).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ironically though, Metallica have at least tried to evolve (though this was mainly a conscious effort to garner more widespread appeal) where Nintendo are steadfastly resisting change at every turn. Granted, they're resisting pressure to change from being a gameplay-focussed profitable multinational mom-n-pop operation into emulating a slick, lossmaking, souless corporate succubus with a great online service, but really, aren't Metallica the one's we should respect out of this?

(No, they're not)

Both were deeply suspicious of the internet and of new recording formats. This is spooky!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Most people are as dumb as a bag of rocks and like the comfort of following the others in order to feel safe, a herd mentality.
    If they are startled by something, say an Internet trolling campaign, they'll lose confidence and look for another herd to follow, probably wind up with a large EA games collection.

Ninty may use the same characters but their implementation is usually marked with innovation, much IP use on other platforms had been marked by improved visuals masquerading as something new.
    Uncharted 4, do you really think it's going to further the genre or is it going to be another ripping adventure but with nicer visuals?
    If Titanfall is playable on the 360 doesn't if make it sad that as next gen title or is leaving exclusively on a visual upgrade and moderate improvements elsewhere to sell the next gen?

The more I read Nintendo related forums, the more I get Image of Nintendo fanboys as people from San Francisco in South Park... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's a matter of taste, no matter the quality of Nintendo's games if the market for them isn't large it won't sell much. They either need to cater for a much larger market or restructure and focus on the customers that already want their games and try to increase that niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I have no problem with improved versions of something being released, everything doesnt have to be brand new, image if there was no more gears of war or no more unreal tournament.
    Change for changes sake is stupid, i like dynasty warriors and valkyria chronacles, should the makers stop making these games because they might be too much like the game that came before it?

Look how much final fantasy changed, has it got better? no it hasnt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

macker33 wrote: »
    Look how much final fantasy changed, has it got better? no it hasnt.

Final Fantasy isn't really a good example since it changes radically with each iteration. Apparently FFXIII-3 is pretty damn great despite being one of the biggest departures from the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Final Fantasy isn't really a good example since it changes radically with each iteration. Apparently FFXIII-3 is pretty damn great despite being one of the biggest departures from the series.

Most didn't give XIII-2 a chance (me included) but apparently it was a big improvement as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

druss wrote: »
    Both were deeply suspicious of the internet and of new recording formats. This is spooky!

Both are also in thrall to satan.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ah donkey kong in the morning......

Console is dead though....

PMSL.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ah donkey kong in the morning......

Console is dead though....

PMSL.........

A game that's getting mediocre reviews ain't going to shift WiiUs.

Ign gave it a 9...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Most of the reviews i've seen have been quite positive. I gave it 9/10 myself, and I'm typically very stingy with scores. It's absolutely brilliant, but might be too hard for some

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Really though, the people who pour scorn on the WiiU should get stuffed, only people with a valid opinion own one.

"Can we really criticise Scientology, without having been a member?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ign gave it a 9...

Gamespot 6/10, Edge 7/10. I would love to see the WiiU shift a load more units but DK is not the game to do it. Hope you enjoy the game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Gamespot 6/10, Edge 7/10. I would love to see the WiiU shift a load more units but DK is not the game to do it. Hope you enjoy the game anyway.

I'll definitely be picking it up once I get a wii U. Loved Donkey Kong Country Returns and if anything the reviews justify the purchase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fnz wrote: »
    "Can we really criticise Scientology, without having been a member?"

Yes.
    It's kinda different.

If you're having trouble keeping up

Ones a cult

The others also a cult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When did 7/10 become a mediocre review?
    I don't think Donkey Kong is ever going to shift units, especially if something as sublime as Super Mario 3d World, a game that consistently scored 9 and 10 out of 10 failed to shift the console.
    It's not about the games at this point but the public perception, and that's formed by marketing and word of mouth.

The only negative I see about DKCR Tropical Freeze is that it's more of the same. Not a bad thing in my opinion when DKCR was so damn good and a bit hypocritical of the publications scoring it low for that when they score a lot of iterative franchises so highly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

So I saw a Wii U advert for DK.... On tv :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is that the Brian Blessed one that has 40 seconds of Brian Blessed voice over followed by about 3 frames of actual gameplay? Still awesome...

Caught that on Youtube yesterday, was inspired to finally give DKCR on 3DS a blast. Let me tell you, that game is a bitch to play when a half-sleeping baby is idly clawing at your face. From what I could see through the blood, it looked pretty, so more of the same is fine by me. Having said that, the Ad for DKCTF could easily be a trailer for DKCR or, on a CRT at the crappy resolution I watched it in, any of the SNES DKC titles. So anyone who's going to be excited by that ad is surely already a level 7 Laser Lotus in the Brotherhood of Nintendites. More lightning cup than lightning in a bottle.

Banjo wrote: »
    Is that the Brian Blessed one that has 40 seconds of Brian Blessed voice over followed by about 3 frames of actual gameplay? Still awesome...

Caught that on Youtube yesterday, was inspired to finally give DKCR on 3DS a blast. Let me tell you, that game is a bitch to play when a half-sleeping baby is idly clawing at your face. From what I could see through the blood, it looked pretty, so more of the same is fine by me. Having said that, the Ad for DKCTF could easily be a trailer for DKCR or, on a CRT at the crappy resolution I watched it in, any of the SNES DKC titles. So anyone who's going to be excited by that ad is surely already a level 7 Laser Lotus in the Brotherhood of Nintendites. More lightning cup than lightning in a bottle.
    Ah the old clawing at daddys face we have so much in common banjo....

i had my 4 year old and 2 year old sitting on me yesterday while i was trying to play 3d world ah the memories....

I can report that Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is gorgeous, and plays great.
    So, you can stuff your XB1/PS4 shenanigans, the WiiU is where to cool kids are at....

Or that might be too optimistic a conclusion to reach....

Either way, the game is lovely.

Banjo wrote: »
    that game is a bitch to play when a half-sleeping baby is idly clawing at your face.

I can report similar difficulties with a not-sleeping 2 month year old and Zelda Wind Waker.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I can report that Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is gorgeous, and plays great.
    So, you can stuff your XB1/PS4 shenanigans, the WiiU is where to cool kids are at....

Or that might be too optimistic a conclusion to reach....

Either way, the game is lovely.

frabz-Youre-one-of-the-cool-kids-Please-tell-me-how-great-you-are-8814da.jpg

The 6 and 7 out of 10 reviews are bogus either they have not actually played the game or are anti nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Or its just not to their tastes :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 6 and 7 out of 10 reviews are bogus either they have not actually played the game or are anti nintendo.

Or, perhaps, they simply were only mildly impressed by the game and gave a reasoned, genuine response?

I'm not sure why there's an insistence of this great journalistic conspiracy / bias - a robust critical space encompasses a range of responses, after all, and 7/10 is not a war crime. And as an Edge reader for many years I can assure you, of all the biases they do have, being anti Nintendo is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wouldn't get too caught up in the reviews. A tip I use for buying any product and not just games, is to analyse the negative points given and decide I these points matter to you. They may or may not be a deal-breaker and if not, buy and enjoy.

Advertisement