Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nintendo needs to understand that developers do not need them anymore , Nintendo needs the developers.

they should take sony route with the ps4 and work with the developers on creating a platform the developers want to make games for.

Nintendo needs a better relationship with western developers and publishers than just working with japan studios.

While nintendo do have close western partnerships they need more imo.

the amount of money they are sitting on there should be no reason for them no to take away sony and microsoft crown away from them and return to the top like the 8 bit/16 bit days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's a good point. Nintendo's dip in fortunes seems to have mirrored the waning of Japan as a game producing powerhouse.

It sounds counter-intuitive for someone who's been saying that they don't have enough new ideas, but they need to pay more attention to their history too. They have, without doubt, the best library of classic videogames available anywhere, but they make it so bloody difficult and awkward for their fans to get them. The Virtual Console stuff is a mess and their refusal to sell the games where the gamers - on handheld - is baffling.

If they put their library of SNES, N64 and GBA games on the 3DS, they'd need a new vault to store all the money they'd make. It says everything about their lack of direction that handheld GBA games are to be made available on the Wii U but no their handheld console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rereleases of old games don't make as much money as you think. When each one has to have it's own emulation wrapper and legal issues have to be resolved it ends up costing a lot of money and most of all time to put one out there. Also old games aren't going to save them. The virtual console isn't like downloading an emulator to your PC and then getting some roms to put on it.

Nintendo really need to make a system that this time will compete with Sony and MS and have a bit of Nintendo magic as well to differentiate it.I'm not sure if they have the financial credit though for the R&D involved. They'll probably have to drop the Power PC tech they use now which will mean no backwards compatibility and Virtual Console problems and go with whatever Sony and MS are doing. It will mean third party devs can easily port games to their machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

I think reports of nintendos demise are being greatly exagerated, they had a good november and december.
    Far as i know they have sales of around 6 million since its launch 16 months ago and it will do better than the other consoles in second system sales.

Its more innovative than the other consoles and its got more games, why are people worried? its like people are trying to talk it to death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it could be another 3DS with bellends like Pachter hysterically calling about its demise. It's only been over a year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The only concern, although it's a big one, is that once they've gotten Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 out the door, they've got practically none of their big name franchises left to roll out (excluding Zelda, but that won't be 2014). They've quite literally flung everything they've got at the system from a first party perspective, delivering the best Mario, the best Donkey Kong, the best Pikmin etc and still not really caught much attention yet.

They'll need to do something pretty spectacular with their non-regular franchises around E3 to pick up steam. Metroid would be the obvious one there, then they've got some lapsed franchises that they've not really used enough like Kirby (an actual proper Kirby game), Starfox, F-Zero and a few others

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Wii U catalogue so far, but I have concerns about how they stretch what they've got over the next 3-4 years without completely milking the big guns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

COYVB wrote: »
    The only concern, although it's a big one, is that once they've gotten Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 out the door, they've got practically none of their big name franchises left to roll out (excluding Zelda, but that won't be 2014). They've quite literally flung everything they've got at the system from a first party perspective, delivering the best Mario, the best Donkey Kong, the best Pikmin etc and still not really caught much attention yet.

They'll need to do something pretty spectacular with their non-regular franchises around E3 to pick up steam. Metroid would be the obvious one there, then they've got some lapsed franchises that they've not really used enough like Kirby (an actual proper Kirby game), Starfox, F-Zero and a few others

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Wii U catalogue so far, but I have concerns about how they stretch what they've got over the next 3-4 years without completely milking the big guns

Some fair points there in particular the last one.

If I got nothing more than 4 games for the entire remainder of this console though I'd be happy once they were a new Zelda, new fzero, new starfox and new metroid.

.... I don't ask for much eh.

Tell me this I don't have a 3DS, does it have much 3rd party support?

The marketing for the Wii U has undoubtedly been abysmal. How about somehow linking the 2 devices to try and capture the 3DS market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Tell me this I don't have a 3DS, does it have much 3rd party support?

The marketing for the Wii U has undoubtedly been abysmal. How about somehow linking the 2 devices to try and capture the 3DS market?

3ds has loads of 3rd party support (better than Vita anyway)

i would like to see some interconnectivity. if your not going to make a proper pokemon game for the wii u allow me to connect my 3ds to my wiiu. but that is probably something they can only implement next round

what they should do now with the wii u is work on their online systems and publisher relations acquiring some if necessary. and take a risk with their franchises (esp when they do take risks they can make some fantastic games)

they played it too safe so far and it hurt them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I was looking for wherever i read about their $10 Billion 'kitty'. Turns out it's everywhere. I thought this was an interesting read. (I didn't see it posted before, so sorry if it has.)

From HERE
    "Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052. Then there's almost 469 billion Yen (£3.8/$6.0 billion) held in premises, equipment and investments. When that runs out - we're in the year 2075 by this point - they've got some of the most valuable intellectual property in gaming to sell off before the company goes out of business."

Taking all of those exciting numbers into account, even if the worse case scenario happens and assuming Nintendo continues to release, on average, three new Mario games a year - we've still got... 189 new Mario games ahead of us. Also, there's a pretty good chance that we'll get another F-Zero at some point within that timeframe.

So Wii sales may be plummeting like a lemming, 3DS needed a hefty price cut to counter sluggish sales and generally things have been looking a bit bleak for some time, but don't be hasty predicting the end for Nintendo. Even if it all goes properly down the toilet for the Japanese behemoth, it's got more than enough stashed away for a rainy day. In fact, it's got enough for 22,995 rainy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This a great summary of it really. Despite people wanting to slaughter it, the games (you know, the things the forum are named after) have been of a high standard. It's just unfortunate Nintendo's stubborness has kicked in again. The one hope is that Iwata's language at the last meeting was unlike anything he has conveyed so far, so maybe change will come. If the other franchises match up to quality of Pikmin and Mario, then there will be some outstanding, genre leading games to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

delivering the best Mario, the best Donkey Kong, the best Pikmin etc and still not really caught much attention yet.

I think Super Mario 3D World is a great game but I wouldn't label it like that. I'm still hopeful for a proper 3D mario game, maybe like Mario Galaxy but I'm hoping for more freedom like Mario 64.

I still think one of the Wii U's problems is the lack of variety. In my opinion they need to get Starfox, F-Zero and Metroid games out. Now traditionally they're not huge sellers but they're also not platformers! Having those on the system, I think, would improve the perception of the machine, showing it does have a range of games.

They also need to get some sports games out there (since EA won't), maybe another Punch-Out, maybe a proper tennis or football game but don't shoehorn Mario into them. Having stuff without his name would make the library seem more varied, he doesn't need to be in everything. Alternatively they could make sure PES is on the system, get a Virtua Tennis from Sega.

Also, why not get a console Fire Emblem on the system, bring back Batallion Wars or do an Advance Wars (although a 3DS version of this is lacking :( )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I despair that any console won't get its fair shot and instead another will be the most popular by default.
    And I speak for both the WiiU and XB1 in this matter.
    I would worry that the PS4 is going to be the defacto main console in every house and a lack of competition is going to hurt everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I despair that any console won't get its fair shot and instead another will be the most popular by default.
    And I speak for both the WiiU and XB1 in this matter.
    I would worry that the PS4 is going to be the defacto main console in every house and a lack of competition is going to hurt everyone.

I'd dread the day that the only options were the PS4 and smartphone/tablet games. I'm not including PC, in case anyone starts shouting at me from their screen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Wii wasn't next gen, and did great because that's how it was marketed.

How is the WiiU marketed these days in Europe and America? IMO, going for graphics doesn't work. Going for games like Professor Layton that people will play, is the way forward. Competing for percentage of the PS4/xBone gamers for something like the latest Dues Ex may not be the way forward for the console?

Going forward, I'd wonder what chip they can use? Sony and MS are using AMD, and Intel is too expensive for a console at the moment. Maybe an IBM CPU and an nVidia GPU?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I know it's been said a thousand times but all they need to do is bring out a proper home console Pokemon game and the console war is over, forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

the_syco wrote: »
    The Wii wasn't next gen, and did great because that's how it was marketed.

How is the WiiU marketed these days in Europe and America? IMO, going for graphics doesn't work. Going for games like Professor Layton that people will play, is the way forward. Competing for percentage of the PS4/xBone gamers for something like the latest Dues Ex may not be the way forward for the console?

Going forward, I'd wonder what chip they can use? Sony and MS are using AMD, and Intel is too expensive for a console at the moment. Maybe an IBM CPU and an nVidia GPU?

It'll be the ARM Cortex A17's successor, and the device will be a handheld with a docking station for home use. I'll (almost) guarantee it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'll be the ARM Cortex A17's successor, and the device will be a handheld with a docking station for home use. I'll (almost) guarantee it

Can we have that announced at the e3, please?

mayordenis wrote: »
    I know it's been said a thousand times but all they need to do is bring out a proper home console Pokemon game and the console war is over, forever.

I think a new Pokemon game is inevitable at this point, but big 3ds selling games do not translate into big WiiU games, if that were the case the current lineup would be selling millions.

Good to see Koei behind the Dynasty Warriors inspired Zelda title, while the game might not be to everyone's taste it is a good direction where proved veteran developers are brought in to make WiiU exclusive products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I doubt they'll do a traditional pokemon game, but almost certainly a battle simulation game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think they can even attempt a console Pokemon until they have a good solid, dependable and reliable online structure.

• Advertisement

I'd say a skylanders style Pokemon game would work well, given the Gamepad acts as a NFC device too.
    The install base probably makes it risky though, but it could sell feckin bucket loads.
    What's wrong with Ninty and their online stuff?
    I don't play online but I can't imagine a Pokemon battle needing massive bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

the_syco wrote: »

The reason or part of it that both Sony and MS have AMD GPUs this gen is that nVidia have turned around and said it's not worth their while anymore making GPUs for the console market. nVidia's change in attitude of snubbing consoles has left AMD with a monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

macker33 wrote: »
    I think reports of nintendos demise are being greatly exagerated, they had a good november and december.
    Far as i know they have sales of around 6 million since its launch 16 months ago and it will do better than the other consoles in second system sales.

That's a big kicker right there in sales. The PS4 has already sold 5.3 million units, that's not the shipped figure but actual sales. The WiiU just is not shifting enough units and with the price of the PS4 and the difference to the WiiU is not helping either. It really is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want to get a WiiU a some point but I'll wait till a few more games come along and the price drops to around €250. I haven't even played the Mario Galaxy games yet.:o

Do you think an official rrp of the WiiU dropping to €250 is going to make all the difference?
    There are bundles with a game for less than €300 so a solo pack for that sum isn't that far off, but folk still ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I haven't even played the Mario Galaxy games yet.:o

379ch.gif

Owning a Wii and the two Mario Galaxy titles will cost about the same as a PS4/XB1 title and is infinitely better fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd say a skylanders style Pokemon game would work well, given the Gamepad acts as a NFC device too.
    The install base probably makes it risky though, but it could sell feckin bucket loads.
    What's wrong with Ninty and their online stuff?
    I don't play online but I can't imagine a Pokemon battle needing massive bandwidth

I think they've already screwed that pooch with Pokemon Rumble U, which had Skylanders style figures and utilized the NFC feature of the WiiU Pad, and has a really cool feature (note : I haven't played Skylanders, they may have nicked this idea) where you can level up the figures, altering their movesets (and buying TM moves) but married this wonderful, cash guzzling system to an absolutely dire shambles of a game. It' repetitive, it's unrewarding and the sheer volume of recruited, uncustomisable, uncatagorisable Pokémon (the ones you nab in-game seperate to your NFC statues) make it bewildering and hollow. Doesn't help that the gameplay consists of button mashing. Even a 2 year old gets bored of it after about 3 minutes. I've checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

€180 is a sweet spot :)

And Mario 3D land is better than anything on PS4/xbone right now. And it's much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Seeing how the xbox one dropped in price now in the uk and has poor ports compared to ps4 can we call the xbox one dead in the water aswell anyone ? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Two articles in the News today, that could maybe help the sales of the wii U in months to come. For different reasons.

Although i love hacking/tweaking/modding usually, I don't think I want to touch the Wii U for a long time.
    I definitely won't be pirating/downloading any games for it either if they become available.
    http://segmentnext.com/2014/02/24/beginning-wii-u-homebrew-scene/

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wii-U-Memory-Bandwidth-GPU-More-Powerful-Than-We-Thought-62437.html
    Wii U's Memory Bandwidth, GPU More Powerful Than We Thought?

Some new information has surfaced due to some in-depth research conducted by various engineers regarding the Wii U's handling of memory: it may be more powerful and faster than we thought.

Unlike the PS4 and the Xbox One, the Wii U is the only new generation console that has a lot of secrecy surrounding its hardware capabilities. While early kits and impressions from developers indicated that the Wii U was weak and slow and a “crap” system, further digging from die-hard members of the gaming community have summed up a possible cap for Nintendo's eighth gen system capabilities.

Some individuals have pointed to the fact that Renesas Electronics, who merged with NEC – the semiconductor company who was recently picked up by Sony, as reported by DualShockers – is responsible for the Wii U's semiconductor in the same way that they were responsible for the Xbox 360's semiconductor. The natural logic that follows is that newer tech made in 2012 would obviously be faster than whatever they produced in 2004 for the Xbox 360's release in 2005...........

Advertisement