Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The wiiu's CPU is weaker but the you is pretty damn impressive. The developers saying its underpowered just aren't talented enough or have the time/resources to put CPU tasks on to the GPS like the machine was meant to be used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know.
    Why would Nintendo deliberately hobble the WiiU?
    What sense would that be?
    Can't but think it's wishful thinking.

A price point of €180 for the WiiU is insulting tbh, sure, those who don't have it want it as cheap as possible but why on earth sell it at firesale prices, cutting below the last gen offerings from both Sony and MS?

€250 is a good price point IMHO, if you can't find reason to buy it at that much you should probably not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A price point of €180 for the WiiU is insulting tbh, sure, those who don't have it want it as cheap as possible but why on earth sell it at firesale prices, cutting below the last gen offerings from both Sony and MS?

€250 is a good price point IMHO, if you can't find reason to buy it at that much you should probably not bother.

I agree €250. As you said, both PS3 and Xbox360 are selling for that now.

Although the Wii U - ZombiiU bundle is currently available in Currys for €209. You have to ask for it, as I don't think they are out on the floor. But I don't think that's longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Allyall wrote: »
    Although the Wii U - ZombiiU bundle is currently available in Currys for €209. You have to ask for it, as I don't think they are out on the floor. But I don't think that's longterm.

€209 really? That is a tempting price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I don't know.

Insulting to whom? I would have thought it would be in Nintendo's longer term interests to sell the consoles for slightly less, and increase the quantity of games sold and income from that stream.

The only console I'm interested in is the WiiU, but I'm not willing to spend €200 to get a console unless it comes bundled with two or three top-quality games. I'm a PC gamer and very much used to paying an average of €5 per game, so I'm sure I'm very spoiled (though I know if I had a WiiU I'd be paying much more per game, and can deal with that), but I'm definitely still in a 'wait to see if the price drops' mode when it comes to the WiiU. I'm not sure if there are many more like me, so wouldn't be able to speculate whether a 'fire sale' of the console itself would lead to decent pick up amongst consumers and some sort of revival in the console's longer term fortunes; like you said, if people aren't enthused enough to buy at €250+ maybe nothing will make them change their mind.

• Advertisement

€209 really? That is a tempting price.

Yep, and I checked in Airside and Blanchardstown and they have them.

I was searching to check was there any official announcement about a price drop. There doesn't seem to be anywhere. But i saw this. :eek:

Teenager shot dead by cop who mistook his Wii controller for a gun
    Witnesses say officer wept after she gunned down youngster on his front doorstep

Tragic: Marine Corps hopeful Christopher Roupe in uniform

A teenager has been shot dead by a policewoman who thought his Nintendo Wii controller was a gun.

Officers visited 17-year-old Christopher Roupe's home to serve a warrant on his father over a probation violation.

But when the teenager opened the door to let them in, an officer shot him in the chest at point blank range.

Police claimed he was holding a gun, while witnesses and the family said it was a Wii controller.

The family’s solicitor, Cole Law, said the youngster was about to watch a movie using his console.

Mr Cole went on: “The eyewitnesses on the scene clearly state that he had a Wii controller in his hand.

“He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest.

“It just doesn't add up.”

Yep, and I checked in Airside and Blanchardstown and they have them.

Now if I could just convince my wife I need a 4th console connected to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Now if I could just convince my wife I need a 4th console connected to the TV.

I was sure you were a woman... kinda feel like those in thailand duped by ladyboys :eek::D

I don't know.

How the hell is it insulting for the console to sell for €180? If the WiiU was retailing for €180 then I'd pick one up tomorrow. €250 may not be a whole lot more but that €70 would buy a number of games for the system and honestly it's those games which will help secure a future for the console. The WiiU is one of the worst marketed consoles in decades and while Nintendo can lose money on it for years to come there is a risk that software may me thin on the ground for it. Looking at the upcoming release schedule and there's little coming to the console this year that would tempt many to pick one up.

I was sure you were a woman... kinda feel like those in thailand duped by ladyboys :eek::D

Not a Clint Eastwood fan I take it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

The story of my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not a Clint Eastwood fan I take it :D

Great film, love the ferry man, singing good old confederate song until he's halfway across and reverts to Union classic when he sees the Red Legs on the River bank.

Couldn't say if Josey would have bought a Wii U though.

How the hell is it insulting for the console to sell for €180? If the WiiU was retailing for €180 then I'd pick one up tomorrow. €250 may not be a whole lot more but that €70 would buy a number of games for the system and honestly it's those games which will help secure a future for the console. The WiiU is one of the worst marketed consoles in decades and while Nintendo can lose money on it for years to come there is a risk that software may me thin on the ground for it. Looking at the upcoming release schedule and there's little coming to the console this year that would tempt many to pick one up.

The new deluxe console variations remove the nintendoland game, which has some good fatures, but really is a way to showcase many of the possibilities to interact with the Wii U. You can choose from one of these for £250GBP
    Deluxe Bundle with two free games Super Mario Bros U and Super Luigi U.
    or
    Zelda Bundle with Windwaker HD Deluxe set.
    Or
    Skylanders SWAP force bundle

While €180 may make people pick it up quicker, nintendo may not think they need to do that. They have obviously reduced the price across Europe on a limited number of consoles (I don't know what the figure is), and it seems to have stirred up a lot of interest in the console.
    People are now looking at it, possible more than they did when it was released. Add to that, the fact the PS4 and Xbox One have very few games, many may decide to purchase it just to play something different, or to have something to play while they are waiting for new games.
    Many may sell their existing last gen consoles to help fund it.

Whatever consumers do decide to do, it is definitely getting a lot more publicity, and nintendo seem to be playing it very well so far.

Although i do agree, they still need to market it a lot better. There are so many people that still don't even know what it is, or that it even exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's more the thinking of like '€180 is below €200, what a great price' to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

At €180, I would insult the holy living bejaysus out of Nintendo. Might even do it for €209.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jesus i'm tempted to go buy that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Worth remembering, if you're a member of the "€180, not a penny more!" crew, that the ZombiU bundle includes the pro controller, which retails for £30+, so you're still getting your WiiU for sub-€180.

(There was a time, around this time last year, when you could get that controller for €20 in Curry's, but those days are gone)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The pro-controller is really nice, I'd recommend the Zombi-U bundle for it, even if you're not interested in Zombi-U!

Banjo wrote: »
    Worth remembering, if you're a member of the "€180, not a penny more!" crew, that the ZombiU bundle includes the pro controller, which retails for £30+, so you're still getting your WiiU for sub-€180.
    Deadly - you guys have convinced me! Unfortunately Carrickmines Currys just broke my heart - there's 1 premium bundle for €149 (!!!) showing up on their system but they insist on the phone it isn't really there. Bah prolly just keeping it for themselves grumble grumble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

We checked last week, nothing in carrickmines (apparently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Not seeing any Nintendo products (other than a controller) listed on either the PC World or Currys websites - maybe they're all gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Haven't turned on my Wii U in nearly 3 months, since 3D World, have the system since launch, just not impressed or arsed with it anymore.

Where as, my 3DS is never off. They dont need to worry at all of course, but its becoming a bit of a stain on their name now.

ionapaul wrote: »
    Not seeing any Nintendo products (other than a controller) listed on either the PC World or Currys websites - maybe they're all gone?

I was told it's only available in store, and you have to ask. I don't think the staff even know what way it's being done. But 2 days ago I asked in Airside and in Blanchardstown and they did definitely have them. I was asking for someone else.

Yeah the websites aren't showing anything, presumably because they're getting rid of all nintendo stuff.
    Phoning them isn't much better - you get a UK call centre, where the guy can't see anything on his system, but then checks some shadowy 'second system' where he sees one for €150, then he puts you through but the girl who answers thinks you're looking for a Wii so goes off to look but then comes back 5 minutes later confused while you sheepishly explain you're actually said a Wii U. With a u!
    Anyone got one in Blanch today? Or, dare I ask, Liffey Valley?

Right. Checked Blanchardstown there. First staff member was a work experience student. So was the second. Third guy had "never heard of a Nintendo" and ushered me to the clearance baskets at the front of the store. Fourth guy seemed bored enough to indulge this crazy guy yabbering about Zombi without an e, enough to check the computer but not enough to go out the back and check (fair enough I suppose).

I left it, but can't shake the nagging suspicion that if I could have just found the one member of staff who could understand what the hell I was talking about, I'd be playing Mario this evening.

Not as good a deal as the currys offer (but if it's anything like looking for the e149 Wii u's in PC world last week, it will be hard to get) but a premium Wii u with Nintendo land is e225 in Smyths - http://www.toys.ie/Wii-U-Console--Black-Premium-Pack--Nintendoland-!125012-prd.aspx

The wii u is worth 300 bucks with a game or pro controller thrown in, thats all there is to it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

macker33 wrote: »
    The wii u is worth 300 bucks with a game or pro controller thrown in, thats all there is to it

Not worth 300 by a long shot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For some people it is. For a mario hating heretic and heathen like you probably not but then we all can't have amazing taste in games like myself :P

• Advertisement

Thats how much its worth, no doubt you will be able to pick it up for far less.
    Are the xbone and ps4 worth the money you are expected to pay for them because i dont see them being any better than the wii u.

If specs are the be all and end all just get a decent pc.

Advertisement