Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's down to interpretation. I wouldn't consider an Xbone worth it's €500 price tag :P

No one is saying that its not worth €300 but rather that a price point of €180-€200 would see considerable note units shifted. The problem with the WiiU is that most people won't pay over €200 for a console that has such an uncertain future. While Nintendo are sure to continue producing titles for it, there is a risk that third party development will dry up sooner rather than later. Looking at the coming year and there's little that would entice most to pick up the WiiU. Nintendo has a number of great properties at their disposal but they seem unwilling to do anything with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I paid €380 for mine on release day. (The ZombiU bundle)
    I honestly could not be happier with the console, and don't feel too upset by the subsequent price drops, as I feel that I've got a lot of use and enjoyment out of it so far!

True the release schedule ahead isn't looking too crazy, but there are a number of titles coming that I know that I will get a lot of time and pleasure from, so I'm still happy with it.
    No one is saying that its not worth €300

I think you'll find that's precisely what ShadowHearth said!

I think you'll find that's precisely what ShadowHearth said!

No one here is taking him seriously when it comes to Nintendo as clearly a Nintendo system molested him in the last given how much hatred he has for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The argument is ridiculous, why not just give them away for free then?
    Why have a current gen machine, which the WiiU is, retail for less than the previous gen offerings from the other manufacturers?
    Price also stamps a product with a certain value.
    I think the €200 mark would be ideal, any lower and it sends the wrong message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

I would rather pay €180 for it instead of €300 , you people are mad .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Where has this €180 come from? If people want the console for half-nothing, it doesn't mean it's worth that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Some people making out Wii U to be the best thing invented since blowjob and that the price is not too high, I wonder why it is doing so **** so? :rolleyes:

Wii U is grand as a console, but at this point it in a niche console with specific games. If those games appeal to you, then 250eu point is Grand. For a majority people even 200eu would not make them run in in to nearest shop to get one. the games announced for it so far makes it even less attractive to non Nintendo fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I think I paid about 400 at Christmas with a few games and couldn't be happier, couldn't give a fcuk what anyone else thinks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've wanted to get one since the price drop to €250 - just too many other things keep coming up every time I go to buy one.

Will definitely pick one up long before a PS4/One.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Some people making out Wii U to be the best thing invented since blowjob and that the price is not too high, I wonder why it is doing so **** so? :rolleyes:

Wii U is grand as a console, but at this point it in a niche console with specific games. If those games appeal to you, then 250eu point is Grand. For a majority people even 200eu would not make them run in in to nearest shop to get one. the games announced for it so far makes it even less attractive to non Nintendo fans.

In your opinion.

And most owners of WiiU console here have been quite candid about the lack of content in the initial 12 months of launch, but are equally candid about the outstanding reviews for many titles released up to now.
    The odd thing is why some commenters have such a problem with the device, when they don't own one.
    If the game line up doesn't suit you, fine, but objective reviews seem to suggest that there is much on the machine to warrant a purchase.

I think most of the problems with the console are centred in marketing and initial price.

But it has little to do with Nintendo and their first party software for the console.

Enough lazy posts about the WiiU please, and enough describing those who enjoy the machine as equally misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm going to stay on topic and post down a little known fact. The PS4 in 3 months has outsold the Wii U after 15 months and at a higher price point. The Wii U will be lucky to sell over 25 million lifetime which is 25% less than the Wii. But as of now that looks like it was a once off. Nintendo have only ever excelled with their handheld numbers until the Wii released. I think the casual mass market has shifted to iphone / ipad gaming and they will do well to get them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If the game line up doesn't suit you, fine, but objective reviews seem to suggest that there is much on the machine to warrant a purchase.

Is there really though? Mario 3D World is insanely good. But otherwise exclusive:

Pikmin 3: v. good, but basically the same as the two previous games.

Wind Waker: Full price HD remake of 10 year Zelda. YMMV.

NSMB U: Probably the best of the NSMB games, but still an NSMB game and therefore not anything you haven't seen before.

Donkey Kong TF: well-reviewed, but, you know, another 2D platformer and v. similar to one loads already played on Wii.

Lego City: not played, but really if you're of age just play GTAV (this is an open world game with LOADING SCREENS between sections of the open world for christ sake).

W101: Interesting, but flawed - play Bayonetta, MGR: Revengeance, and Vanquish first.

NintendoLand: fun in multiplayer, limited single player.

Sonic: Lost World: can f*** right off.

In your opinion.

And most owners of WiiU console here have been quite candid about the lack of content in the initial 12 months of launch, but are equally candid about the outstanding reviews for many titles released up to now.
    The odd thing is why some commenters have such a problem with the device, when they don't own one.

I think most of the problems with the console are centred in marketing and initial price.

But it has little to do with Nintendo and their first party software for the console.

Enough lazy posts about the WiiU please, and enough describing those who enjoy the machine as equally misguided.

I think it is the other way around as nintendo fans act like smug brats and pretty much saying that others who don't like nintendo stuff don't know about gaming. Like wii u is some super console from other realm.
    I don't have problem with people enjoying wii u, fair ****s for them finding stuff they like. I love my pc, but I don't look down on others who enjoy consoles. I just find it silly how it is being defended and anyone who does not like it is a main stream sheep.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'm going to stay on topic and post down a little known fact. The PS4 in 3 months has outsold the Wii U after 15 months and at a higher price point. The Wii U will be lucky to sell over 25 million lifetime which is 25% less than the Wii. But as of now that looks like it was a once off. Nintendo have only ever excelled with their handheld numbers until the Wii released. I think the casual mass market has shifted to iphone / ipad gaming and they will do well to get them back.

Except for shifting 60million NESs and 50m SNES.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Except for shifting 60million NESs and 50m SNES.

I wouldn't really call that anything special although I loved both of those and they deserved much better sales.

Off the top of my head for home consoles:
    PS2 - 154M
    PS1 - 104M
    Wii - 101M
    PS3 - 82M (Will likely hit 100M)
    Xbox 360 - 80M (Will get over 90M at least)

I wouldn't really call that anything special although I loved both of those and they deserved much better sales.

PS2 - 154M
    PS1 - 104M
    Wii - 101M

The market for games is so much larger now. The NES selling 60m was remarkable for the time (it didn't even come to Europe until 1986), and paved the way for the 100m+ consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Is there really though? Mario 3D World is insanely good. But otherwise exclusive:

Pikmin 3: v. good, but basically the same as the two previous games.

Wind Waker: Full price HD remake of 10 year Zelda. YMMV.

NSMB U: Probably the best of the NSMB games, but still an NSMB game and therefore not anything you haven't seen before.

Donkey Kong TF: well-reviewed, but, you know, another 2D platformer and v. similar to one loads already played on Wii.

Lego City: not played, but really if you're of age just play GTAV (this is an open world game with LOADING SCREENS between sections of the open world for christ sake).

W101: Interesting, but flawed - play Bayonetta, MGR: Revengeance, and Vanquish first.

NintendoLand: fun in multiplayer, limited single player.

So basically you think that all nintendo ips need to be drastically different to be any good. Does that apply to the numerous COD or Fifa or Racing Sims released year in year out?
    I think it is the other way around as nintendo fans act like smug brats and pretty much saying that others who don't like nintendo stuff don't know about gaming. Like wii u is some super console from other realm.
    I don't have problem with people enjoying wii u, fair ****s for them finding stuff they like. I love my pc, but I don't look down on others who enjoy consoles. I just find it silly how it is being defended and anyone who does not like it is a main stream sheep.

If you enjoy the pc fair play to you. Most Nintendo fans I know are just into games and choose the platform based on this. Most also have a pc or PS3/4 or xbox360/one for their other gaming "needs". Its rare you'll find someone that just has a wii u. To be fair as well most people that are insulting it or making posts like theres not enough games or whatever are just trolling. Probably havent even played one game never mind them all.

PS2 - 154M
    PS1 - 104M
    Wii - 101M

Speaking of trolling I'm not sure if this is trolling or you just dont understand numbers. The likes 49million hit by the snes back in the day was a huge volume of consoles to be selling and only for it doing that you wouldnt have the numbers you have listed.

Anyway I give up on this thread. Same pointless arguements made time and time again. No games, games arent different enough, etc.. blah blah blah.

ps before I'm called a fanboy under my telly currently is an N64, PS2, 360 and Wii U. I will buy a gaming laptop or PS4 in time.

My time has been spent on wii u and vita lately as thats what I've had most fun on.

The market for games is so much larger now. The NES selling 60m was remarkable for the time (it didn't even come to Europe until 1986), and paved the way for the 100m+ consoles.

True that. It doesn't look great on paper but point well made. Still though there's a lot of pressure for the Wii U's successor to do well because if it doesn't then it will be 3 of the last 4 doing bad for nintendo.

Speaking of trolling I'm not sure if this is trolling or you just dont understand numbers. The likes 49million hit by the snes back in the day was a huge volume of consoles to be selling and only for it doing that you wouldnt have the numbers you have listed.

Anyway I give up on this thread. Same pointless arguements made time and time again. No games, games arent different enough, etc.. blah blah blah.

ps before I'm called a fanboy under my telly currently is an N64, PS2, 360 and Wii U. I will buy a gaming laptop or PS4 in time.

My time has been spent on wii u and vita lately as thats what I've had most fun on.

I'm not trolling so no need to get angry mate. I've already acknowledged that it was actually good but the fact remains the Wii U is dead in the water like the gamecube was and it had more good games than the Wii U does. I'm sure you're having great fun but the support for the console is a joke and the lack of games coming out this year despite it being 15 months old is worrying for gamers and the consoles slim chances of success.

• Advertisement

So basically you think that all nintendo ips need to be drastically different to be any good. Does that apply to the numerous COD or Fifa or Racing Sims released year in year out?

I don't play those franchises, in part for that reason.

I'm not sure drastically different is quite the problem though. Mario Galaxy 2 isn't drastically different to Mario Galaxy 1, but it's still somehow an even better game, not one where you've seen it all if you've just played the first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some overly aggressive posts here. Keep calm, everyone, there's nothing here worth getting upset or angry over.

Some overly aggressive posts here. Keep calm, everyone, there's nothing here worth getting upset or angry over.

Who's upset? I'm not anyway!

im-not-mad-thats-just-the-way-i-talk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm not trolling so no need to get angry mate. I've already acknowledged that it was actually good but the fact remains the Wii U is dead in the water like the gamecube was and it had more good games than the Wii U does. I'm sure you're having great fun but the support for the console is a joke and the lack of games coming out this year despite it being 15 months old is worrying for gamers and the consoles slim chances of success.

I am having fun with it and like many others will continue to do so.

The fact that you and others are trying to write off a console only 15 months into its cycle is just completely rediculous.

So far it has released some amazing games and will continue to do so in the coming 15 months with the likes of Mario Kart, Smash Bros, X and new Zelda maybe.

BTW I'm not for one moment saying its the best console launch of all time. My god Nintendo made an absolute balls of the marketing of this machine and hopefully have learnt from that.

Will be very interesting to see what E3 brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Hasnt outsold it just yet, maybe next month or the month after.
    Sales of the wii u so far are just above 6 million while sales of the ps4 are just shy of 6 million.

Having said that the ps4 has no games.

You're assuming something about WiiU owners that simply isn't reflected anywhere.
    Certainly not this thread.
    I didn't know of a gamer with a Wii who didn't also have a PS3 , 360 or both.
    No one with an ounce of sense and no one I know looks down on anyone for owning anything.
    So, what on earth are you talking about?

You are making a point without foundation and committing exactly the sin you claim to rail against, you are taking a poke at Nintendo owners, for some unfathomable reason.

The one thing many, not all, WiiU owners say is that those expressing strong opinions on the quality of the WiiUs game lineup should, at least, base it something more that "I don't like Mario games so I don't like Nintendo" it's that kind of daft statement, assuming because some games might share a common character must therefore share everything else, which is simply a wrong thing to say, misinformed at the very least.
    On the various threads devoted to the new machines on the market you'll find thay the most consistently measured comments have come from WiiU owners, I trust you will making similar statements about PS4 and Xbox One owners, those who are engaged in talking up the features and content of their chosen console platform, in the interests of fairness, lest your statement be read as you having a particular issue with Nintendo owners, which suggests that it's not really them with the problem.

You're assuming something about WiiU owners that simply isn't reflected anywhere.
    Certainly not this thread.
    I didn't know of a gamer with a Wii who didn't also have a PS3 , 360 or both.
    No one with an ounce of sense and no one I know looks down on anyone for owning anything.
    So, what on earth are you talking about?

You are making a point without foundation and committing exactly the sin you claim to rail against, you are taking a poke at Nintendo owners, for some unfathomable reason.

The one thing many, not all, WiiU owners say is that those expressing strong opinions on the quality of the WiiUs game lineup should, at least, base it something more that "I don't like Mario games so I don't like Nintendo" it's that kind of daft statement, assuming because some games might share a common character must therefore share everything else, which is simply a wrong thing to say, misinformed at the very least.
    On the various threads devoted to the new machines on the market you'll find thay the most consistently measured comments have come from WiiU owners, I trust you will making similar statements about PS4 and Xbox One owners, those who are engaged in talking up the features and content of their chosen console platform, in the interests of fairness, lest your statement be read as you having a particular issue with Nintendo owners, which suggests that it's not really them with the problem.

You and me read different thread so. As I cannot call even near "measured" opinion in here.
    After reading more and more this thread the less I want wii U. Like I said This thread makes Wii U owners look like People from San Francisco in South Park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why can't you accept that me and my WiiU are happy together. You ruin everything! :'(

I'm not sure what your problem is though with WiiU owners. We aren't being smug brats. We know the WiiU has problems but the fact is we don't care because we are enjoying the games on the system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Why can't you accept that me and my WiiU are happy together. You ruin everything! :'(

Oh, I am happy. I am really happy for anyone who finds a game they love and can play. Same way how I play Rust right now. I love it to bits, but I do realise that a lot of people dont like it and its fair enough. Unfortunately Nintendo Fans cannot grasp the concept that Nintendo first party titles are not Perfect and there are people who dont like them. This making Wii U completely useless to them. Unfortunately Ninty fans dont get that and go in to Derp derp mode " HOW DARE YOU NOT TO LIKE NINTENDO!!! " ( there are people who said it with a tong in cheek and some who are serious about it ).
    I though that PS3 vs 360 Fanboys are bad, after seeing this thread I think that those are very fluffy and gentle creatures. At least they say "you are an asshole" directly to you. :pac:

• Advertisement

I avoid using inflammatory language as you describe because I enjoy debate and discussion and while I strongly disagree with you I have no interest in insulting you.
    By the same token you over generalise to make your point and ascribe most if not all the proponents of the WiiU to be some sort of brainwashed fool that thinks the world would be put to rights if only they all knew Nintendo like I do.
    And, if people were capable of observing the topic from my subjective POV then you would, but you can't, nor can I see yours, all we can do is discuss it and try to sway the others position.
    The quality of Nintendos WiiU output is slightly more than a subjective estimation with plenty of reviewers finding the first party software to be, overall, superb.
    You are, naturally, free to differ but we are back to the need to base this on something more than a historical dislike of something that came before, try it and if you don't like it express it, or even quote those who have.
    Killzone, for example, is a series that has never ceased to underwhelm me, and I expect the new one to do the same but, really, until I play it I can't be definitive about it and I certainly won't tar those who love it any of the phrases you have used.
    The only people to be pitied on these threads are the trollers, deliberately trying to pick a fight or cause aggravation, or the evangelists, who can see no wrong in the console or brand of their choice, and I don't see myself or most of the Nintendo posters here in either category.

Advertisement