Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA got a Warning for Trolling? Epic.

Okay, I wont go near this thread, I am sorry lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shadowhearth you're getting a warning for the last few posts. While I've absolutely no problem with you coming in here and being negative about the WiiU I do have a problem with you calling people out as fanboys. I've gone through the thread and no where in it are people really being fanboys (unless it's very obviously tongue in cheek). By calling people out as fanboys, not only is it an extremely amateur and poor debating tactic, but it's also antagonising users and trolling them even if it's somehow unintentional.

So continue being negative about the WiiU all you want but just please refrain from calling people fanboys and instead make some valid arguments instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

what's the backwards compatibility like?

At a cheap price, tempted to get one just to be able to play Mario Galaxy with the best possible picture.

(I know it doesn't upscale but I've heard a native digital signal helps)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    what's the backwards compatibility like? At a cheap price, tempted to get one just to be able to play Mario Galaxy with the best possible picture. (I know it doesn't upscale but I've heard a native digital signal helps)

The Wii plays Gamecube games. There's no backward compatibility on the WiiU (you can copy your Wii saves/virtual console games to the WiiU). See if u can borrow one off a mate. I'm sure there's plenty around collecting dust!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought you could play wii games in Wii mode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thought you could play wii games in Wii mode?

You can play Wii games on the Wii U.

I was playing Resident Evil 4 recently on the Wii U. Surprised how good it looked to be honest.

I play the odd gun game as well like house of the dead and ghost squad. Sega classics with no need for CRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I don't think it makes any difference. I'm replaying Galaxy 2 at the moment and it looks same as ever (what an awesome game though, if they make anything that good for WiiU, the console will be worth it for that alone.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Do ye buy games on the virtual console Wii section or are ye holding out for them to be released on the Wii U? There's stuff on the Wii virtual console I'd buy, but don't know if I should hold out or not...

I wouldn't really be playing much any time soon, so if they were to get a release on the Wii U I can be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You can play Wii games on the Wii U.
    Aw sweet! I heard you couldn't so I never tried. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Can I play River City Ransom on the Wii U?

I could have typed that into Google and had the answer instantly, but... I didn't...

• Advertisement

or just wait for the HD remake I suppose.

Galaxy already looks amazing via emulators, if you have the rig to match:

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Do ye buy games on the virtual console Wii section or are ye holding out for them to be released on the Wii U? There's stuff on the Wii virtual console I'd buy, but don't know if I should hold out or not...

I wouldn't really be playing much any time soon, so if they were to get a release on the Wii U I can be patient.

The wiiu virtual console seems to be getting a lot of the games in 60 hz whereas other than PC engine games and imports its all 50 hz pal rubbish so better off getting the wiiu games. The exception being super metroid and balloon fight which is still 50 hz ****e on wiiu.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

You and me read different thread so. As I cannot call even near "measured" opinion in here.
    After reading more and more this thread the less I want wii U. Like I said This thread makes Wii U owners look like People from San Francisco in South Park.

Stamping for foot and throwing a hissy fit will get you nowhere

what's the backwards compatibility like?

At a cheap price, tempted to get one just to be able to play Mario Galaxy with the best possible picture.

You can play your old wii games and also any peripherals that work with the wii will work with the wii u.

or just wait for the HD remake I suppose.

Galaxy already looks amazing via emulators, if you have the rig to match:

Its a balls trying to get the wii remote to work with the pc though.

^ I see it supports Windows 7, but not 8, too.

macker33 wrote: »
    You can play your old wii games and also any peripherals that work with the wii will work with the wii u.

Oh I know that already, just trying to gauge how Wii games look on the Wii U from people who have tried first hand. I know it doesn't upscale but maybe the Wii U being HD native helps a Wii game look as good as possible on a HD TV.

I've tried component before on the Original Wii but still didn't look as good as RGB Scart on a CRT TV. I've also tried a 480p Wii2HDMI adapter with little success.

I might just buy one in the near future to find out, have to go back to Mario Galaxy 2 at some stage.

That's more to do with the quality of CRT vs LCD. Lcds only advantage is resolution. A CRT has better colour definition and adds anti aliasing to the picture. A CRT will totally trump a LCD for picture quality at 480i, even when compared to 480p.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

In what's probably a marketing move to attract people to 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo are shutting off their online services for Wii and DS consoles in May.

I'm normally the first one to defend Nintendo, but this is so ****ing stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding VC content, I bought Majoras Mask for the Wii VC via the Wii channel on the WiiU!
    But it looks terrible, given its an N64 title and had no visual refinements at all and it's then displaying on a flat screen panel.
    I also have it on the N64 and while the natural picture quality isn't the best on an N64 from the get go, it looks a lot better on the Trinitron.

My Wii games look respectable on the TV via WiiU, I have a decent collection of Wii titles now and they look and play just fine. Metroid Prime Trilogy still looks sublime.
    I do miss the Gamecube compatibility of the Wii though, I'm sure Super Mario Sunshine would look gorgeous up there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

^ I see it supports Windows 7, but not 8, too.

I have dolphin on Windows 8 and am currently playing Xenoblade :). As for using a wii remote, no bother, you can use any controller you want on dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

From Here
    Oh, and PS4 did quite well.
    The latest Japanese chart shows that Nintendo's struggling Wii U has now - finally - sold more than Xbox 360 in the region.

Wii U has now sold 1,643,095 units in its home country, compared with Xbox 360's 1,641,528 lifetime to date total.

Nintendo's console is currently selling around eight to nine thousand units a week, while Microsoft's console sells a far smaller amount, usually a couple of hundred.

But Wii U still has a long way to go to catch up with lifetime sales of the PlayStation 3 (9.8m), and even the PlayStation Vita (2.5m).

The star of last week's chart was PlayStation 4, whose launch numbers have already hit headlines. It sold a grand total of 309,154 units during its launch week - a number matched by sales of platformer Knack (a pack-in title in Japan).

Sony announced last week that, prior to its Japanese launch, the console had sold more than 5.3 million units worldwide since its launch late last November.

That figure will be at least 5.6m - already 600,000 ahead of Sony's target for the end of the financial year.

I know it's Japan, but still good news.. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really hope they all do well, but I have a desire to see the WiiU be at least successful and sell enough to make development a financially sound prospect.
    I don't need to see the console attain Wii levels of success, in fact I'd rather do without the tsunami of bloatware and mini game collections, give me the good first party releases from Nintendo and some original work from Ubisoft, Activision, Sega and EA and I think it'll make a good purchase, a companion to the PS4/XB1 choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I really hope they all do well, but I have a desire to see the WiiU be at least successful and sell enough to make development a financially sound prospect.
    I don't need to see the console attain Wii levels of success, in fact I'd rather do without the tsunami of bloatware and mini game collections, give me the good first party releases from Nintendo and some original work from Ubisoft, Activision, Sega and EA and I think it'll make a good purchase, a companion to the PS4/XB1 choice.

I think at this point the only realistic place for the Wii U is as a companion to another decive PS4, XB1, PC.

Is that such a bad thing though?

Hopefully next time round in what about 3 or 4 years when they release another console they'll spend more time and money on marketing the device correctly both to the developers and the public.

Between now and then personally I'm going to just enjoy the many many Nintendo games released and soon to be released.

Was playing Mario 3D World again last night. I seriously think if they had marketed that game better it could have sold a lot more consoles.

People needed to be seeing that on tv a lot more as it looks great and they needed to get people playing it somehow in events or something cause seeing it is great but playing it just makes you want to play more and more and more!! :)

In terms of a next console, they need to do a hell of a lot to win more multiplats over. I get Nintendo systems for Nintendo games, but them appealing to me/us isn't broad enough appeal. Failing that, they need to have a better release schedule for their own stuff. I mean, Mario Kart 8 is out 30th May? Ouch. And Smash Bros is when?

To give them their due, they've had a busy release schedule over the past 12 months and I guess they have to metre the first party releases out somewhat.
    That said with Mario Kart 8 around the corner I'm happy to wait, there must be a Kirby and Metroid announcement in the offing soon, Mario Tennis/Golf/Sports are due an update too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just got a used Wii U from Adverts today :-) came with five games, a Wii Pro Controller and a Wii Remote, so should be set up nicely for a while. I'll still game primarily on my PC but fairly happy to have the Wii U under the TV (as is the wife!), my first console since the GameCube actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

ionapaul wrote: »
    Just got a used Wii U from Adverts today :-) came with five games, a Wii Pro Controller and a Wii Remote, so should be set up nicely for a while. I'll still game primarily on my PC but fairly happy to have the Wii U under the TV (as is the wife!), my first console since the GameCube actually!

congrats and welcome to the club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

In terms of a next console, they need to do a hell of a lot to win more multiplats over. I get Nintendo systems for Nintendo games, but them appealing to me/us isn't broad enough appeal.

I bet it won't be a traditional console at all, but some extension of their "Quality of Life" platform (whatever it turns out to be) that rolls playing games into a bunch of other stuff. Third parties be gone, and probably ain't coming back.

(I'd love them to splash the cash and offer to buy Xbox division off MS. A move that could totally reinvigorate two struggling brands at once, but one that will never happen.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ionapaul wrote: »

You got a good deal aswell fair play and welcome to the console that is underselling ill admit but the games wow the games

Advertisement