Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

This is embarrassing. What an absolute idiot. I mean, regardless of whether or not you like the Wii U, regardless of whether or not you are a 'Fan Boi' of other consoles etc.. But.. Jeesizzz.
    Now I know that they've been having a bit of a tiff since Nintendo said no to EA when they wanted to integrate Origin into the Wii U (That would have been horrible), but this is just Childish.

Senior EA engineer says "Wii U is crap"
    EA’s Senior Software Engineer and Architect Bob Summerwill took took Twitter to trash Nintendo’s new console, saying that “The Wii U is crap”, calling it less powerful than an Xbox 360, with “poor online/store”, and a “weird tablet”. Finally, he said that “Nintendo are walking dead at this point”.
    Summerwill didn’t stop there, though. In another Tweet he said that “Nintendo is still operating like it’s 1990, and that they should have done what SEGA did and stopped making consoles.

Isn't that a bit like shooting yourself? Nintendo are massive. Way bigger than EA.
    I'm pretty sure they could make their own versions of most EA games, and possibly make them better.. Making themselves some extra cash along the way. Also, while the Wii U may be struggling, Nintendo are far from dead. To say that they should've stopped making consoles is a ridiculous statement. This is the first Nintendo console that has had to struggle. Next Console could be massive and outsell all the rest as people may start to get bored of playing the same game with better graphics.
    Nintendo could just refuse EA a licence for making games for it..

I just think that was a very stupid thing to do and say.

On a brighter note.. Is this a hint that the new Zelda game may be sooner than later? :):)
    http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/walmart-zelda-wii-u/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Allyall wrote: »

On a brighter note.. Is this a hint that the new Zelda game may be sooner than later? :):)
    http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/walmart-zelda-wii-u/

They said at last e3 they almost showed it, but didn't want to take attention away from other stuff, especially Wind Waker HD. It must be quite far along if they considered showing it a year ago. I'm quite hopeful this might be out this Xmas (though Smash is probably the big christmas game, so that does seem to go against it. Which is a shame cause I dont care about Smash!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Some people have selective memory or hearing and only see one side of the coin and not acknowledging anything else.

I have been pretty active on this thread reading and debating with others and here is the jist of peoples comments towards the wii u .

Lack of games
    bad marketing
    console is for kids
    should be 130 euros
    people still do not know its a console
    same recycled worn out nintendo games

Nintendo only made 2 mistakes with the wii u in my eyes and that was the name and marketing.

someone earlier was talking about gaming droughts , lack of games and bad ports pretty much described the playstation 3 the first 3 years in its lifecycle and yet the industry is willing to write off developer, consumer and journalist because the wii u is selling poorly in its first year. What people fail to realise is the power of Nintendo Ips that even when lack of 3rd party have never been the same on nintendo since the super nintendo , Nintendo are still here because the Mario 64, Ocarina of times, smash brothers , nsmb wii sell bucket loads. Something Sony and microsoft would kill to have the characters and title with the same legacy.

Playstation 3 was overpriced , had bad ports , games that never came to the system but did to the 360 because it was hard to program for and had a pretty terrible drought of games for nearly 3 years yet 3rd party publishers like ubisoft gave it exclusive games anyone remember when gabe newell said the ps3 was a disaster and they should make stop the ps3 and make a new system ?

The playstation 4 is not selling because of its fantastic launch titles , its selling because xbox one is overpriced and still has a negative vibe since its drm at e3 and because the negative bashing the wii u has been getting as of late.

The wii u in fairness launched with nsmb wii u , zombi u , lego city and monster hunter and nintendoland. all exclusive titles whether or not they appeal to you does not matter , they were all rated very well and sold very well.

as for the indie scene nintendo indie scene is great especially given nintendo just launched properly the nintendo network and store than no one really took notice off on the wii is very good

the issue is only the consumer base for the wii u and I know long enough not to write off a company who basically shaped the industry down to a t that people do not like to see

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tok9 wrote: »
    This is as bad as saying that nintendo use the same tired old properties which you posted you were against earlier.

That was the point I was making, when I hear lazy comments about the Nintendo consoles hosting tired reheats of existing franchises.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And Johnny U, of course I'm conscious of the breadth of variety on the various platforms, it's something I have loved about the 360, PS3, PS2 and so on, but those consoles existed in an environment with credible competition, the last thing I want to see is what would happen if the 3DO dream came true and the world had one dominant format.
    That was another point I was making.
    I think you know enough about my taste in consoles and games to know it's a bit too eclectic for me to be a Nintendo evangelist to a fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That was the point I was making, when I hear lazy comments about the Nintendo consoles hosting tired reheats of existing franchises.

I meant it in the context of what you said regarding the releases on PS4/Xbox one.

You gave a very lazy and ill informed response regarding the games released on those platforms.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The playstation 4 is not selling because of its fantastic launch titles , its selling because xbox one is overpriced and still has a negative vibe since its drm at e3 and because the negative bashing the wii u has been getting as of late.

This is one of the points I was coming here to make - Sony were literally handed the first few PR Battles in the "console war" through Microsoft's frankly mad thinking (Nintendo didn't feature because Nintendo don't feature in this battle, they're not even in the also-ran - more on that in a bit, it's not necessarily a bad thing). Last E3 we all saw it, Sony walked out and said exactly the opposite of everything Microsoft did and did it for $100 less and were able to totally pull the wool over everyone's eyes about the new requirement to have PS+ to play online (but they've at least built a product that represents value for money in PS+).

It was Sony's to lose and I guarantee you had the reactions to MS' horrible stomping from one PR mess to another been less problematic, Sony would have followed suit.

So where does Ninty fit into this? Well the obvious lower price points and less power of Nintendo products shows that their plan continues to be "second console" which is a perfectly acceptable plan. Most of the serious gamers here in this thread that are speaking on behalf of Ninty all play multiple formats anyway and don't feel like they're missing out on anything - because they're not :)

This thread has me seriously considering a Wii U for some of the first party stuff. However, my PC needs upgrades so it's so far on the bottom of my list that it can't see the daylight. It's now in my "if I see one cheap with a smattering of games on Adverts, I might throw an offer at it" pile :)

However, this is only based on word of mouth and it was a hard sell - but I respect the opinions of folks on this forum. It's nothing to do with any effort Nintendo has put in and tbh, that's shocking. They need to understand that they have to learn how to sell to a wider audience. It doesn't need to be everyone, but someone like me who's main area of interest is gaming and who has disposable income - if I'm not the easiest person in the world to sell something like this to then I don't know who is :) They did well using older and hugely respected actors to sell DS's (Brain Training ads and all that). They've clearly got some clever marketing people on the books, let them do their jobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Was in HMV this week and their Wii U game selection is tiny. There appeared to be no Wii U consoles for sale, certainly none being advertised. This may be because HMV are crap these days.

Was in HMV this week and their Wii U game selection is tiny. There appeared to be no Wii U consoles for sale, certainly none being advertised. This may be because HMV are crap these days.

HMV are moving away from gaming and are currently selling off all their gaming stock.

tok9 wrote: »
    I meant it in the context of what you said regarding the releases on PS4/Xbox one.

You gave a very lazy and ill informed response regarding the games released on those platforms.

No, not really.

• Advertisement

Radiosonde wrote: »
    PS2 was totally dominant and has one of the most diverse, celebrated catalogues in gaming history. DS was totally dominant, ditto. There are certainly downsides to PS4 sweeping away all before it, but the games will be there.

There's often quite an objectionable aspect to some Nintendo fans' defences of the company, where they talk like ONLY Nintendo make original, creative titles, and PS/Xbox players are all on COD and FIFA. I've never played COD and only played FIFA briefly a couple of times. Yet I've done plenty of gaming on the other machines. Hell, Sony itself has given us groundbreaking games like Shadow of the Colossus and The Last of Us. And then you've got all the third party support on top of that. You could happily game solely on PS3 last gen, never touch COD, and play tonnes of great stuff.

And, as a delighted owner of a PS3 I'd almost agree with everything you've said, aside from the bit near the end about only owning a PS3,i had too much fun on my 360 and Wii you see!
    But it wasn't dominant, the PS3, and I think the competition did it good.
    The PS2 was outstanding, probably my favourite console of all time, at least in the top 3. But it had masses of utter drivel with tons of just the sort of clones that I mentioned before, it was home to a lot of amazing titles though, and they were distributed amongst both 1st and 3rd party studios.
    I still respect the innovative work on the Gamecube and Xbox though, with the likes of Mario Sunshine and Halo outshining anything comparable on the PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Shiminay wrote: »
    ...Most of the serious gamers here in this thread that are speaking on behalf of Ninty all play multiple formats anyway and don't feel like they're missing out on anything - because they're not :)

This thread has me seriously considering a Wii U for some of the first party stuff. ... It's nothing to do with any effort Nintendo has put in and tbh, that's shocking. ... They've clearly got some clever marketing people on the books, let them do their jobs!

I may be one of the mods of the Nintendo forum, and some of my favourite games are Nintendo ones, but I currently have a PC, Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS and Wii U, so I'm far from blinkered here. Nintendo's first party output really is quality stuff. Granted it's generally not for everyone, but if you look at their catalogue of IPs, there's generally something to enjoy for everyone. (Point blank dismissal of them all is simply mind boggling.)

You are absolutely right though as regards the failings of Nintendo. Their marketing has been absolutely abysmal. I could probably count on my fingers how many ads I've seen for the Wii U games on the telly. That shouldn't be the case.

It's been out a while now, and to my mind people are either writing it off simply because of lack of knowledge about the console and misconceptions, or because they've read so much negativity about the console. (I think calling the console the Wii U was a mistake, as those that hated the Wii because of the motion controls will assume that the Wii U relies on those also, simply because of the name.) Nintendo can still turn it around though, with a concentrated effort to show the Wii U for what it is, how it does and how it can work. I'd be willing to bet that there'd be a lot of gamers that'd buy it because of the off-screen play alone enabling them to have more gaming time, while enabling their housemates/partners/wives/husbands to watch TV or movies at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

HMV are moving away from gaming and are currently selling off all their gaming stock.

Wtf? :confused: whar are they going to sell if they're not going to sell gaming stuff? Can't be too many years left in DVD, CD and Bluray. Fwiw they had about the same level of PS3 amd Xbob stock as they did pre-Hilco

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And, as a delighted owner of a PS3 I'd almost agree with everything you've said, aside from the bit near the end about only owning a PS3,i had too much fun on my 360 and Wii you see!

I owned a PS3 a year after launch. Gaming on it absolutely sucked for the longest time especially compared to the 360 and Wii. Thankfully it redeemed itself later on.

It is bull to suggest fans of Nintendo hardware and software are blinkered in anyway, given their own ship of most other formats as well.
    But then the same misguided people offer an opinion on a franchise they half remember from a Snes game they once played or a game case they looked at in a shop, rather than say reviews or actually playing the games themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Just bad ports and shovelware.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    Anyway it's all down to ****ty gamers, with ****ty opinions.

The second quote sums up the first along with the whole backbone of this discussion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And Johnny U, of course I'm conscious of the breadth of variety on the various platforms, it's something I have loved about the 360, PS3, PS2 and so on, but those consoles existed in an environment with credible competition, the last thing I want to see is what would happen if the 3DO dream came true and the world had one dominant format.
    That was another point I was making.
    I think you know enough about my taste in consoles and games to know it's a bit too eclectic for me to be a Nintendo evangelist to a fault.

Absolutely I know you're very open-minded about games, which is why I wanted to call out the unnecessary generalisation of "the release schedule of the other consoles, sandbox adventures, track racers, military fps or 3rd person brawler clones" which I feel only undermines your own perfectly valid argument :)

I'd be extremely disappointed if Nintendo shuttered tomorrow for whatever reason - gaming would be a duller place without them, no question whatsoever. But at the same time I do not for a second think that would create a sudden and complete dearth of quality or imaginative games. Indeed, this very moment is probably the most exciting gaming has ever been in terms of variety, experimentation and sheer bulk of high quality games out there. And as much as I love Nintendo's games - and I really, really do - I question if even their most brilliant contemporary games (Fire Emblem, the core Mario games, Kid Icarus) are as important or forward-thinking as titles like Journey, Papers Please or Dark Souls. Nintendo are inspired innovators in the way they can seemingly endlessly take a familiar formula and instill it with freshness again. But there's a part of me that also wishes they'd take their utterly formidable development and design talent and create something completely and utterly new, the kinds of which we're getting more of on other platforms. Just imagine what the teams behind the Mario 3D games could do with a completely blank canvas - look at something like The Last of Us to see how much can be addressed when a developer opts for a new IP. That game's not perfect by any stretch, but it allowed Naughty Dog to do things they could not have managed within the Uncharted franchise.

I'm pretty sure I've posted something along these lines before - this thread is circular even by games forum standards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's an excellent point. When was the last time that Nintendo launched a truly exciting new franchise? Has to be at least a decade ago. There seems to be a sense of fatigue among gamers over their latest offerings and while something like Mario Kart 8 looks like being a very good game, it is just another game following a template that they've played more than a couple of times before. Same thing with Mario 3D World. It might be a great game, but it's never going to inspire me to buy a console because it appears to be a very quick retread of a game I played on the 3DS.

Lets have something new Nintendo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is a uniquely Nintendo problem: "Sigh, yet another flawlessly designed Mario game :rolleyes:"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That's an excellent point. When was the last time that Nintendo launched a truly exciting new franchise? Has to be at least a decade ago. There seems to be a sense of fatigue among gamers over their latest offerings and while something like Mario Kart 8 looks like being a very good game, it is just another game following a template that they've played more than a couple of times before. Same thing with Mario 3D World. It might be a great game, but it's never going to inspire me to buy a console because it appears to be a very quick retread of a game I played on the 3DS.

Wonderful 101

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Wonderful 101

Not Nintendo - published, but not developed. Although I do think their nurturing of Platinum is one of their more progressive acts of recent times.

Same thing with Mario 3D World. It might be a great game, but it's never going to inspire me to buy a console because it appears to be a very quick retread of a game I played on the 3DS.

It's not a retread, quick or otherwise, of a game you played on the 3ds.
    Its a vast, new game with beautiful visuals and innovative level design.

And if there's a single thing I'd like to see from Nintendo is more new IP, they do have an exceptionally slow trickle of them over the years.
    Pikmin must have been one of the last new IPs on the system though there have been others that were never updated but should have been, like Eternal Darkness.
    But I'll happily accept there could be a greater depth to the variety of IP on the format.
    Ah look, I don't want to be a Nintendo Evangelist, I love games on all formats, most of those mentioned here and elsewhere to tell the truth with plenty of depth in my collection to prove I've no blind obsession with any single developer or publisher.
    Just want to make that really really clear!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo release a hell of a lot of new IP's actually. At the moment it's mostly trial stuff as downloads and as downloadable games such as pushmo, NES Remix, Harmo Knight, Dillon's Rolling Western. They've had quite a few big ones as well like Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower. That's not to mention the long dormant IP that they managed to resurrect so successfully like Kid Icarus, DKC and Luigi's Mansion.

It's an utter fallacy that Nintendo don't promote new IP, they do a hell of a lot more than other third parties and are only really matched by Sony who have always been very open to experimentation with their first parties.

Point taken, never even thought of NES Remix though by many standards around these parts it'd be interpreted as either another Wii based meaningless minigame collection or a boring retread of existing IP, which is like saying Warioware Inc was a waste of everyones time, rather than what it was, an excellent way to waste everyones time!
    And with Luigis Mansion and DKC Tropical Freeze you are back to those who can't see the game mechanics from the Nintendo characters that are front and centre.
    I mean, as awful as it might sound, replace Luigi with a different lead with no Ninty connections and would it suddenly become a valid game?
    If DKC Tropical Freeze featured a comically drawn stoat would it gain some sort of credibility simply because the main character no longer has any history with the Nintendo company?
    The big three there, Last Story, Xenoblade and Pandoras Tower, Nintendo develop any of those or buy them in?

The big three there, Last Story, Xenoblade and Pandoras Tower, Nintendo develop any of those or buy them in?

Monolith are second party which means they only make games for Nintendo and they own the Xenoblade/Monado IP now, Last Story was developed for them as a third party exclusive, I think nintendo own the IP and the same for Pandora's Tower except I'm sure Nintendo own the IP.

Edit: Nintendo definitely own Last Story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Monolith are second party which means they only make games for Nintendo and they own the Xenoblade/Monado IP now,

Monolith Soft are first party now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

People keep asking for new IPs, but Nintendo just apply existing characters if they fit since they have a built in fanbase and less risk involved. It's still a new game but with familiar characters.

Let's look at games that released on Nintendo systems that didn't have familiar characters. These are 3rd party Nintendo exclusives(at the time of release) but the idea is the same. Zak & Wiki, Mad World and House of The Dead Overkill. 3 great games, in my opinion which sadly didn't sell well, as far as I know.
    (Side note, saw Zack & Wiki and Mad World in game stop for, I think, €3 each. Bargain.)

I was thinking though that with Mario and Donkey Kong covering platformers, Zelda covering adventure, Mario Kart for racing and Metroid Prime for FPS, what characters would you use for other genres? I know we got GTA out of Lego City and Nintendo now own Fatal Frame if they want horror.

And Mario GTA only exists in Robot Chicken. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

They have mario for sports , platformers, party , racer and rpg
    Zelda : action adventure
    Metroid:2D side scroller , 3rd person or for shooter
    Fire emblem:RPG
    Punch out: arcade boxer :L
    Sin and punishment: rail shooter
    Xeno series: rpg
    Smash brothers: fighters
    animal crossing : life simulator
    pikmin: rts

It is the best thing that someone brought up , exsisting characters that already built a following and add new experiences with said characters.

Its why its sometimes hard to comprehend people saying I do not like any of nintendo games when they pretty much cover every genre you can think off

More Sin and Punishment, maybe something new from Treasure on the WiiU, how about a follow up to Ikaruga?
    A new Metroid Prime title would be fine.
    Or perhaps a proper Starfox title.
    A sequel to Blastcorps would be cool, though I think Rare and MS own that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would like to see them tackle an open world third person game more along the lines of Infamous than GTA.

They also had what was pretty much a Prince of Persia exclusive on the Wii in the form of Forgotten Sands. It was a completely separate game from the other platforms with new story and powers. Was excellent, being a fan of the series.

Advertisement