Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Whatever about the XMB interface on the PS3, the bubbles interface on the Vita is absolute gick. It is truly terrible.

what's wrong with the vita interface. I find it pretty damn good tbh.

It looks good and is very functional. Pause out of a game and go onto youtube for example is very easy.

Flicking through screens with the touch screen.

yeah all in all in finding it hard to see what's not to like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The whole bubble thing, the fact that you have to scroll through whole pages to get to the thing you might want, the XMB did all that but was faster to use.
    I don't like it at all and I makes it feel a bit like a cheap Chinese Android phone.
    I feel the same way about the later and current 360 menu, all boxes and ads but the games? Hard to locate under all those chances to buy stuff from MS.
    I preferred the PS3 XMB to the later menus too, the launch 360 menu with the Blades was perfect, no idea why they had to go messing about with it.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The whole bubble thing, the fact that you have to scroll through whole pages to get to the thing you might want, the XMB did all that but was faster to use.
    I don't like it at all and I makes it feel a bit like a cheap Chinese Android phone.
    I feel the same way about the later and current 360 menu, all boxes and ads but the games? Hard to locate under all those chances to buy stuff from MS.
    I preferred the PS3 XMB to the later menus too, the launch 360 menu with the Blades was perfect, no idea why they had to go messing about with it.

I can see what you mean with 360. Couldn't agree more with the blades being infinitely better than the frankly rediculous attempt that followed it.

But I disagree with the vita one. You want your games you just flick down a couple of time in seconds your were you wanna be and you can rearrange it very easily if its not to your taste.

All opinion I suppose. Works really well for me. Can't fault it. A joy to pick up get what I want play a game, use Skype or whatever throw it on standby get on with my life. Brilliant device.

On that actually does anyone ever turn it off? Mine is constantly in standby unless I want to change memory cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The PS3 XMB has that great Singstar icon permanently there now.
    I would get a Vita if the cards didn't cost so much, since I have all the PS Plus games for it.

As for Nintendo, their franchises are great but unfortunately will always be seen as kiddy by people who just think Nintendo means kiddy Mario games. I think they need to take a leaf out of Disney's book. the way Disney have/had studios like Miramax to deal with the type of films that wouldn't normally fall under the Disney banner, Nintendo can make the non Nintendo like games.
    I know they have Monolith Soft and a good(for now) partnership with Platinum but if they opened/bought a western studio with quality like Retro, it would be a good start to getting more of the western audience, in my opinion.

As for being a second machine, I will say I don't play enough games for there to be a lack of games on any system for me. So I just play which ever machine has the game I want to play at that time:) I've a Wii U, PS3 and PC. As well as backlog for Wii, Cube, PS2 and then 3DS and DS. Currently on 3D World

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Maybe things are going to get a lot better now that the bar has been slightly raised since the arrival of the twins. :)

Along with the few already released this year (DK Country, Super Mario 3D World)
    The first 6 games in this list alone have me impatiently waiting (My only problem with them, is that they are not available yet.).

The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors
    Mario Kart 8
    Super Smash Bros.
    Watch Dogs
    Bayonetta 2
    X
    Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark
    The Amazing Spiderman 2
    LEGO The Hobbit
    (All avalable for pre-order)

And without UFC (I personally won't miss it) there is still the possibility of Pro Wrestling X and apparently 50 games on the Unity Game Engine, also coming.

Those titles will surely boost the sales with a bit of better marketing, and make more people aware of the Wii U. (Mario Kart 8, will probably do most of that work, along with Super Smash Bros.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pro Wrestling X is coming home? Sweet georgia brown!

I think there's still time to pay them a **** load of money to have my own wrestler in the game. At last the world will know the dread fear of Bobo Ghostiepants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I'd strike Watch Dogs off the list. Some of the development team were drafted in for crunch time on the other versions, and the game's producer described a 2014 release date on Wii U as a "possibility." Not good signs.

And Rise of the Dark Spark? Couldn't they think of a worse name?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Radiosonde wrote: »
    I'd strike Watch Dogs off the list. Some of the development team were drafted in for crunch time on the other versions, and the game's producer described a 2014 release date on Wii U as a "possibility." Not good signs.

Watch Dogs is definitely going to be available on the Wii U - http://www.base.com/buy/product/watch-dogs-wii-u/dgc-wtchdwiiu.htm I'm hoping that release date is still good..

Rise of the Dark Spark, I think it has something to do with the Movie? But I'm not sure.

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm hoping that release date is still good..

It's not. Ubisoft has given a nebulous sometime-this-year release date for WiiU, but are non-committal. Hopefully it will be this year, but not by May that's for sure.

Banjo wrote: »
    Pro Wrestling X is coming home? Sweet georgia brown!

I think there's still time to pay them a **** load of money to have my own wrestler in the game. At last the world will know the dread fear of Bobo Ghostiepants...

I was a MASSIVE fan of the wrestling games on the N64. God myself and my mates used to play them waaaaaay too much back in the day. It was those, Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 that I lost my teenage years to. Good times. Sad they're gone tbh.

I really cant see it selling well though. I mean whos the audience?? Kids will want the WWF licence which I can completely understand as I would have been the same as a kid and the vast majority of us who will be kinda nostalgic for a decent wrestling game probably wont buy it at least at full price.

Lets face it they're really for local multiplayer have a few drinks and powerslam someone kinda games and I dont really get to do that a whole pile anymore and my mates would be more into a game of ISS/Fifa on the 360 when they do call round.

Mario Kart I'd say is the only local multiplayer that I know they'll stray towards outside of the footie games which is a reason I cant wait for MK8.

• Advertisement

I really cant see it selling well though. I mean whos the audience?? Kids will want the WWF licence which I can completely understand as I would have been the same as a kid and the vast majority of us who will be kinda nostalgic for a decent wrestling game probably wont buy it at least at full price.

Technically, they could get the WWF license: a bunch of pandas fight to death for right to not mate with the only female; only the fittest will not survive!:p

I'm pretty sure it's a better title than "The 2nd Cumming of Ejacuborg" or "Terror of the Space Terrapin" or "Robots in Disguise...in Miami!". There's any number of worse titles. "50 Shades of Starscream". "The Droid with the Pearl Inlaid Command Console". They write themselves!
    The license thing isn't a problem. Sure with the WCW and WWE games, the wrestlers we used the most were usually our own, CAWs of unique characters or classic wrestlers. Everyone who gets this game is going to have the Putin/Obama tag team take on Link and Zelda, and they're not going to bother with any of the supplied wrestlers.

If it's download only and they give you a lot of control over the CAW options - mostly renaming the existing toons but especially the ability to import entrance music and custom imagery to flash up on the jumbotron via an ingenious arrangement of ropes, pulleys and bluetooth - I think you could at least get an underground thing going. And let's face it, the entire userbase of the Wii U is underground. They just have to get the price point right for the digital download.

BTW, if we get it, and if it doesn't suck, calling dibs on a slot in the roster for the Boardsie Wrestling Federation's Tuesday Night Punchfest. Actually, there's a great name for a wrestler : PunchFist! Dibs called on that too!

Technically, they could get the WWF license: a bunch of pandas fight to death for right to not mate with the only female; only the fittest will not survive!:p

Ok so a little googling tells me that its not the WWF anymore. WWE looks very stupid.

Bring back the attitude era. They could have the WWF invade the WWE, kinda like the WCW invading it back in the day only this time it would be Pandas and Tigers etc..

A little more googling on the WWF tells me a lot of the guys have died in the last while. Sad. :( .... That Benoit story is just crazy stuff. Steroids have a lot to answer for Vince!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It sounds better when you say it in Peter Cullen's voice.

A little more googling on the WWF tells me a lot of the guys have died in the last while. Sad. :( .... That Benoit story is just crazy stuff. Steroids have a lot to answer for Vince!

Yeah I was watching this recent Let's Play video with Yahtzee Crosshaw of WWF No Mercy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHcfcHhE86I

It ends up with Eddie Guerrero against Chris Benoit, who the players realise are both now dead.

gizmo wrote: »
    It sounds better when you say it in Peter Cullen's voice.

Everything probably sounds better in Peter Cullen's voice. "May I trouble you for a nice cup of tea, old bean?" probably sounds better in Peter Cullen's voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

..."Terror of the Space Terrapin"...

This one sounds awesome. Make this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Unless you don't want it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I think a lot of people are still waiting for that €199 price. It's a mental thing.

• Advertisement

Unless you don't want it

:rolleyes:

Keno wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are still waiting for that €199 price. It's a mental thing.

Sure, can't they trade Nintendoland in and get a few bob for it, if the price point means that much to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's a great price for it, but for me, I personally couldn't justify paying €225 for a third console. If I didn't still play the PS3 and PS4 as much, I'd probably look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lads, do you think part of the problem is the cost of the games, more than the console? I had a look around Smyths the other day and nearly every half decent game was still €50-60. I'm not gonna go into the number of games available, that's been do a billion times in this thread alone. But if i can't pick up even the odd medium quality game for €20 (without scouring Amazon etc), then i probably wouldn't persuaded.

Hmv still have a handful of games (dundrum and Liffey valley anyway) including some decent midtable stuff like Tekken and AC iii for 14.99. If you're in Sligo you can get Sonic Racing for a tenner. Even without the internet there are decent cheap options out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Still too expensive. I'm waiting until it's 199 or less with a game.

Still too expensive. I'm waiting until it's 199 or less with a game.

Yeah, well good luck with that.

I would say again, and I'm not singling you out, but folk seem to want something for nothing here.
    Why sell a relatively new machine for less than a new PS3 or 360, which are each 7 or more years old now?
    Also, people will be wanting the WiiU for less than the retail price of a 3DS:XL and, frankly, that's ludicrous.
    Sure, someone might love to get something cheap, like finding a PS4 for €200, but it must be seen that this is, frankly, unrealistic.

€224.99 is a very fair price for the system with a game.
    In fact, Smyths price is €100 less than the same package is retailing for in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

folk seem to want something for nothing here.

This is how people are valueing how much the Wii U is worth to their situation right now, not what's fair to Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hmv still have a handful of games (dundrum and Liffey valley anyway) including some decent midtable stuff like Tekken and AC iii for 14.99. If you're in Sligo you can get Sonic Racing for a tenner. Even without the internet there are decent cheap options out there

Ah, you're right, all I'm saying is that there are very few of them. That's all.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah, you're right, all I'm saying is that there are very few of them. That's all.

To be fair there's so many cheap deals on zavvi and amazon its hard to care what the retailers are doing.

i got my Wii U at a steal of a price on black Friday before Xmas last year. Since then ive bought 99% of my games on zavvi and cdwow or whatever its called these days for a tenner or so. Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkham City, Injustice and Deus ex to name a few.

Its a great console with all of the above games plus loads of first party Nintendo games to make it a steal at just over €200. Itll probably keep dropping price wise but why wait for the sake of 30odd euro. Are people really that tight/scabby?! Come on.

Advertisement