Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, well good luck with that.

I would say again, and I'm not singling you out, but folk seem to want something for nothing here.
    Why sell a relatively new machine for less than a new PS3 or 360, which are each 7 or more years old now?
    Also, people will be wanting the WiiU for less than the retail price of a 3DS:XL and, frankly, that's ludicrous.
    Sure, someone might love to get something cheap, like finding a PS4 for €200, but it must be seen that this is, frankly, unrealistic.

€224.99 is a very fair price for the system with a game.
    In fact, Smyths price is €100 less than the same package is retailing for in Argos.

People don't see the U as a console with much of a future and as such they aren't willing to pay the asking price. At €225 it's not quite a steal but is close to it. Still though, there's hardly a great line up of titles to look forward to and that hurts the console. With the PS4 and One there's a viable future ahead but the U's future is questionable. With 3rd party developers largely abandoning the console there's a chance that a year from now all we will see on the console are a handful of Nintendo titles.

As for it being cheaper than the 3DSXL, well that's only the rrp. The XL can be gotten for under €150 if you look around, think I paid €142 for my one a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

People don't see the U as a console with much of a future and as such they aren't willing to pay the asking price. At €225 it's not quite a steal but is close to it. Still though, there's hardly a great line up of titles to look forward to and that hurts the console. With the PS4 and One there's a viable future ahead but the U's future is questionable.

Come off it €225 is stupidly cheap for a current gen console. Tbf all of the current gen consoles are very cheap on launch. €400 for a ps4 is mental. Problem is there's no games on it which is to be expected. Terrible launch line up. Wii U's wasn't good either but to say they hardly have a line up of titles is just either troll talk or you genuinely haven't a clue. Look at the line up. From Mario to DK to Pikmin etc.. It has the best line up of any current gen console by FAR!
    As for a future it ain't goin anywhere. Itll hit at least GameCube numbers or more. Nintendo have no intention of pulling a console theyre breakin even on when theyve money in the bank and plenty of time to plan their next move along with probably adding more future classics like a new Zelda etc.
    If more people played the Wii U theyd buy it. Give them Mario 3d world for a half hour and theyd buy it.

Come off it €225 is stupidly cheap for a current gen console. Tbf all of the current gen consoles are very cheap on launch. €400 for a ps4 is mental. Problem is there's no games on it which is to be expected. Terrible launch line up. Wii U's wasn't good either but to say they hardly have a line up of titles is just either troll talk or you genuinely haven't a clue. Look at the line up. From Mario to DK to Pikmin etc.. It has the best line up of any current gen console by FAR!
    As for a future it ain't goin anywhere. Itll hit at least GameCube numbers or more. Nintendo have no intention of pulling a console theyre breakin even on when theyve money in the bank and plenty of time to plan their next move along with probably adding more future classics like a new Zelda etc.
    If more people played the Wii U theyd buy it. Give them Mario 3d world for a half hour and theyd buy it.

I have a WiiU here and have enjoyed my time with it but were I on the fence about getting one there's little in the future that would sway me toward getting one. I've Mario, DK, Pikmin and the Zelda and while all are great to play there's little there that we haven't seen before. In fact of all the titles on the U the most striking is ZombiU with makes great use of the controller.

I also don't think that the WiiU is part if the current gen, it fares far better when judged against the PS3 and 360. The PS4 may have gotten off to a slow start but it has a great future ahead of it and if I had to chose between one or the other for my future gaming then the U would be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yeah, well good luck with that.

I would say again, and I'm not singling you out, but folk seem to want something for nothing here.
    Why sell a relatively new machine for less than a new PS3 or 360, which are each 7 or more years old now?
    Also, people will be wanting the WiiU for less than the retail price of a 3DS:XL and, frankly, that's ludicrous.
    Sure, someone might love to get something cheap, like finding a PS4 for €200, but it must be seen that this is, frankly, unrealistic.

€224.99 is a very fair price for the system with a game.
    In fact, Smyths price is €100 less than the same package is retailing for in Argos.

It's a great price, but If you gave me the money I'd probably opt to spend it on a replacement for my launch 360. I still have the urge to pick up the wiiu, but honestly I'm not sure how much use I'd get from it. The truth is I still feel burned by the original Wii.

I have a WiiU here and have enjoyed my time with it but were I on the fence about getting one there's little in the future that would sway me toward getting one. I've Mario, DK, Pikmin and the Zelda and while all are great to play there's little there that we haven't seen before. In fact of all the titles on the U the most striking is ZombiU with makes great use of the controller.

I also don't think that the WiiU is part if the current gen, it fares far better when judged against the PS3 and 360. The PS4 may have gotten off to a slow start but it has a great future ahead of it and if I had to chose between one or the other for my future gaming then the U would be in trouble.

I really hate argument about Nintendo ips not being fresh. It holds absolutely no weight considering most buying ps4's and xbox1's do so for the latest fifa or cod which have mildly changed / havent changed at all in the past decade.
    Plus its been said before many times look a the likes of Mario 3D World, same IP but soooooooooo many new ideas.

And why buy a console now for future games that havent been released? I buy a console for games not hardware.

Fact is Wii U is a current gen console whether you believe it is or not. It has the best looking and playable games available on the market right now.

Don't get me wrong I'll buy a ps4 at some point but not until there's some decent games which i reckon will be at least another year yet. The console price itself is cheap but the games just arent there were as the wii u price isn't just cheap, its stupidly low and the games are there now as its been out a year.

Most will buy the other two consoles but Wii U because of incredibly poor Nintendo marketing is being pushed aside.

i feel sorry for those who are having to play knack instead of Mario 3D World.

• Advertisement

I really hate argument about Nintendo ips not being fresh. It holds absolutely no weight considering most buying ps4's and xbox1's do so for the latest fifa or cod which have mildly changed / havent changed at all in the past decade.
    Plus its been said before many times look a the likes of Mario 3D World, same IP but soooooooooo many new ideas.

And why buy a console now for future games that havent been released? I buy a console for games not hardware.

Fact is Wii U is a current gen console whether you believe it is or not. It has the best looking and playable games available on the market right now.

Don't get me wrong I'll buy a ps4 at some point but not until there's some decent games which i reckon will be at least another year yet. The console price itself is cheap but the games just arent there were as the wii u price isn't just cheap, its stupidly low and the games are there now as its been out a year.

Most will buy the other two consoles but Wii U because of incredibly poor Nintendo marketing is being pushed aside.

i feel sorry for those who are having to play knack instead of Mario 3D World.

Sure there's inventive ideas in play but Nintendo have such a diverse line of IPs that it would be nice to see them do something other than trot out a new Mario of Donkey Kong. I'd love to see they develop something new and no rely on sequels and rereleases.

Why buy a console for future, well isn't that why everyone gets a console so that they can play current games as well as upcoming ones. Do you think if Sony or Microsoft didn't have numerous titles in the pipeline that their consoles would sell. One of the big considerations when buying a console is what's on the way in the future, unless your buying at the end of a generation.

It's part of the current gen but as I said is far more comparable to the PS3 or 360 than the newer consoles. As for the games being the best looking, well that's debatable. Infamous Second Son is the best looking console game out atm and nothing on the WiiU will ever come close to matching it. The WiiU looks good thanks to the art styles adopted by the developers but there's a number if indie titles that are just as visually inventive on the other consoles.

I'm not bashing the console, as I said I have one here but I can see why people are so cautious of it. It has had a terrible marketing campaign and the future is uncertain. There's a good chance that in the coming years there don't be any third party titles published on it and with that in mind who wants to pay over €200 for a console that may only see 5 or 6 titles a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Had my first proper play of Super Mario 3D World last night, have to say it's the most "fun" i've had playing a game in a long long time. Having to use the touch screen with the telly, blowing into the controller, the motion control of the pad, it's genius. I really enjoyed it.

Santa gave me an Xbox One to replace my 360, the games are still the same, better graphics but the "next gen" is just an evolution, the Wii U, it's a revolution, it introduces brand new ways to have fun with games. You can even play a game while the other half is watching fair city and they won't even notice your playing unless you holler.

I haven't had a nintendo since the N64 and Mario 64 was the last time I played a Mario game. Kind of glad I didn't get a wii, the 360 was miles ahead and Gears of War is still one of my favourite games ever but for Mario to come in second is a serious achievement.

As the One was a gift i'm keeping it but if I did own it, it'd be selling it as i'd be happy enough to struggle on with the 360 and a Wii U for at least 18mts. There's some really good games coming up for the Wii U and I reckon if you can pick it up at the right price it's positively a console you should own for the next 2 years or longer.

I feel a little sorry for Nintendo, they should be shifting a lot more consoles than they are as neither the Xbox One or PS4 have a game better than Mario in their library at the moment and for sheer ways to play a game I don't see one coming down the line either.

After taking the plunge and getting a U I think it's far from dead in the water. Right price with the right games it's a very hard to resist for any gamer around the €200 mark. It complements any PS3,PS4 or Xbox.

My2 cent? You should own a Wii U, the games are strong enough to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Had my first proper play of Super Mario 3D World last night, have to say it's the most "fun" i've had playing a game in a long long time. Having to use the touch screen with the telly, blowing into the controller, the motion control of the pad, it's genius. I really enjoyed it.

Santa gave me an Xbox One to replace my 360, the games are still the same, better graphics but the "next gen" is just an evolution, the Wii U, it's a revolution, it introduces brand new ways to have fun with games. You can even play a game while the other half is watching fair city and they won't even notice your playing unless you holler.

I haven't had a nintendo since the N64 and Mario 64 was the last time I played a Mario game. Kind of glad I didn't get a wii, the 360 was miles ahead and Gears of War is still one of my favourite games ever but for Mario to come in second is a serious achievement.

As the One was a gift i'm keeping it but if I did own it, it'd be selling it as i'd be happy enough to struggle on with the 360 and a Wii U for at least 18mts. There's some really good games coming up for the Wii U and I reckon if you can pick it up at the right price it's positively a console you should own for the next 2 years or longer.

I feel a little sorry for Nintendo, they should be shifting a lot more consoles than they are as neither the Xbox One or PS4 have a game better than Mario in their library at the moment and for sheer ways to play a game I don't see one coming down the line either.

After taking the plunge and getting a U I think it's far from dead in the water. Right price with the right games it's a very hard to resist for any gamer around the €200 mark. It complements any PS3,PS4 or Xbox.

My2 cent? You should own a Wii U, the games are strong enough to justify it.

Usually wouldn't agree with this poster :D
    But talking a lot of sense there to be honest. I challenge anyone to play Mario 3D on the WiiU and not have an absolute whale of a time.

Nintendo as a brand is just not 'cool' or 'edgy' enough to compete nowadays. In these days where Superman has unsuperman like emotions and grows a beard, where every film, game or anything has to be dark and have sex appeal like Game of Thrones.
    Nintendo peddle fun, entertainment and innovations that inspires joy and glee, unfortunately the world is too cynical and would much prefer blowing the head off people in a game or watching the millionth tv variant of the crime scene investigation show.
    Nintendo offer a game where the main characters can dress up in catsuits - those cynical amongst are snickering about leather catsuits - and climb flagpoles - not up the pole.
    Nintendo offer a game where you can play local multiplayer - remember that phenomena - with your siblings with an age range of anywhere from 6 to 60! All can enjoy it and have the craic like.

Ffs guys buy a WiiU or a 3DS and enjoy what Nintendo offer. It's deadly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is, so far, nothing on the PS4 and XB1 that would tempt me to buy one.
    I know I'll get both in time but I've wasted enough early adopters tears over state of the art consoles with bugger all content to play.
    At least the WiiU has some best of generation stuff on it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I know I'll get both in time but I've wasted enough early adopters tears over state of the art consoles with bugger all content to play.
    At least the WiiU has some best of generation stuff on it already.

3DO, right? Should have gotten a CDi, it has Zelda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I can only imagine Nintendo's frustration of producing a quality product which doesn't sell.

13499328573_95fb0c5600.jpg

I hope it doesn't discourage them too much in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nintendo as a company still matters , if they didnt the 3DS would not be selling like it is in a market where smartphones and tablets were supposedly going to destroy the handheld market. Same goes with the consoles for nintendo , forget about the current situation with the wii u , the wii u did have a successful launch and opening 2-3 months after that , while not as successful as xbox one or ps4 it still did very well. People were excited for the console but things slowly died down and then we got all this doom and gloom articles , word of mouth and nintendo marketing non sense that just stuck the console in the mud.

I do not think its as black and white as people just want dark , adult , bloody games, its just alot of newer gamers are coming in and they are the loudest of the bunch , the people who only started on a ps2, xbox and never played nintendo consoles and only know of them by the wii.

New ips mean jack **** to me if anything I want new experiences because what is the point of having a grand theft auto to a red dead redemption , its the same sort of game just different world , different characters and story but same mechanics.

Of course There is nothing wrong with it just an example.

People give the same **** towards mario , it may be 3D , different world and different level design and way to play but its still a mario game , its stupid.

As I said in the past Nintendo has the most powerful ips that move systems , as the most money in the bank to overtake ps brand and xbox as the number 1 system for the living room but they were happy been second choice and cater towards the families/children.

I am not surprised they tried getting the wii crowd again but those people are gone now , the best comes for the wii u now is to become profitable and see what nintendo does with the next system

What kind of idiot would pay that much for a 3DSXL?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You'll eat those words* once you've spent a bit of time with Towerfall: Ascension ;)

*I of course mean eat in the literal sense, as in you will print them off and eat them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'll eat those words* once you've spent a bit of time with Towerfall: Ascension ;)

*I of course mean eat in the literal sense, as in you will print them off and eat them.

Can I print on rice paper?
    My bowels don't manage cellulose too good.

Wait, hold the phone.
    I can play Towerfall on my PC.
    Possibly not the best advertisement for the PS4.
    And have fun finding the PC version of Super Mario 3D World, I'm sure it'll be right along!

I have no doubt there will be games that will demand I own a PS4, just nothing so far.

Wait, hold the phone.
    And have fun finding the PC version of Super Mario 3D World, I'm sure it'll be right along!

I have no doubt there will be games that will demand I own a PS4, just nothing so far.

To be fair I think that's it in a nutshell really.

Wii U has a great library already and more to come.

Ps4 and XboxOne have nothing but upgraded versions of games I can still buy on my 360.

Nows the chance for buyers to have something fun and different in their homes for a very cheap price in the Wii U.

When the ps4 or one create something interesting I can't get on my 360 then I'll buy. No point in having the hardware and no games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aaah35

You can use the old Wii controllers with the Wii U, we have both and the kids have great games with 4 players. I have been a Nintendo fan since the days of the first game boy, little black and grey stick figures of mario! As a family we are all obsessed with Zelda and there really is nothing to compete with it or Mario either.

That's part of the key
    Family.
    As much as I enjoy the games on my many consoles the recent batch of consoles are all about the individual against the world either generated by the system or by other players.
    Nintendo seem to be one of the few who make it more collaborative, a family thing.
    And they enshrine this more than anyone else.
    Sure, it could be viewed as a cynical attempt to grab a market share, and on the 3DS it's a plan that's working.

But a fool would not be honest enough to acknowledge the systems failings.
    The Gamepad is an unnecessary luxury with poorly defined purpose.
    The system could be €75 cheaper without it andgames would not be uunduly affected.
    The console is powerful but only to the degree of the previous gen and that creates an unavoidable image problem.
    The games are tremendous but they were always going to be great, particularly the 1st party stuff.
    And it's true that there's little in Super Mario 3D World that couldn't have been achieved on the Wii, albeit at a lower resolution.

So, perhaps by 2016 we'll see an announcement of a replacement, something to really knock people's socks off, something people can't possibly ignore.

And I say all this, not as a fanboi but a Nintendo fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's not a hope I'd have a WiiU instead of a PS4 at the moment. Having a PS4, I'd probably get a Wii U sooner than an Xbox One, all the same. If I want another console for exclusives, the XB1 wouldn't be it right now.

The 5 games I'm currently playing aren't out on the WiiU, and it would never be more than a console just for it's exclusives.

There's always the option for a Wii U holiday, where I swap my PS4 for a week with someone I know with a Wii U. The only person I know with a Wii U is my nephew, though and a week without Skylanders might be a bit much for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wait, hold the phone.

Point absolutely taken, but Towerfall comes into its own in local multiplayer, and for all PC's strengths local multiplayer ain't one of them! A big difference between picking up a second controller and setting up a LAN (or have your PC in a way that would allow several players to gather around it). So in a rare case the console version of the game is at the moment the superior one just down to sheer practicality. And, as you've pointed out, for family that's a big thing.

And we all know you haven't played many PC games since your lookalike ventured back to Black Mesa :p

And there's always Resogun!

This is true, though my boy spends far too much time with Rogue Legacy and Minecraft on the PC.

I wonder what it will take for the WiiU to be an attractive purchase for people now?
    Is it recoverable? Is it possible to make a success out of it now?

If people are hankering after big 3rd party releases when they may already have the format to play them, what are they complaining about?
    And, for that matter, do people really only have one home console on the go at a time?
    How limiting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I wonder what it will take for the WiiU to be an attractive purchase for people now?
    Is it recoverable? Is it possible to make a success out of it now?

was over at a friends last night and 4 people said they'd buy a wiiu the second mario kart came out for it but then we were always mario kart whores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Don't know why they haven't created a metroid game. I'd buy a wii u in a heartbeat if one was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Does anybody think the wii u is actually the best console out at the moment?

Whats they point of higher specs if all you are going to do is paint the world grey brown? Best games this gen are on the wii u.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

macker33 wrote: »

Whats they point of higher specs if all you are going to do is paint the world grey brown? Best games this gen are on the wii u.

The best games would want to be out on a console that was released a year before the PS4 and Xbox One. Those two consoles are out 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

macker33 wrote: »
    The best of the latest three consoles? Yes, I do. I don't care about lots of the titles that people seem to see as big wins for the PS4 or One. I don't care about Titanfall or Infamous, as a for instance. The only game I care about that I'd like to play is Assassin's Creed IV. I haven't decided where I'll get that yet though. Will I get it on PC, Wii U or wait till I get either the PS4 or One? Might get it on PC during the steam sale. It'll be 75% off so that uplay nonsense will be a bit easier to take, but still not sure. It's uplay after all.

I'm going to want one of the PS4/One this year. Haven't decided which and its still an unknown exactly when I'll get whichever one I get. If D4 is a great game I'll get the One. The console with an exclusive I want to play will obviously be the more attractive proposition. The PS4 has better looking multiplats and is cheaper, but the games that can't be gotten elsewhere? I don't know... If they had some great JRPG out this year it'd be easy, but they don't so it isn't. I feel like I'd have to be a dumb ass to buy either one before E3 honestly. I've waited long enough at this point its more sensible to continue doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I currently have a 360, PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii U and 3DS. I picked up both the Wii U and 3DS in the last 3 months having said I wouldn't buy either. I thought the Wii U Gamepad looked uncomfortable, clunky and generally pointless and I didn't like the 3D in the 3DS. Now I am deeply ashamed of jumping the gun on both.

I don't think I have ever been so wrong about a product as I was the Wii U. I've already picked up a great selection of games for it and every one is worthy. I even picked up Mass Effect 3 which I had played to death on other systems. I wanted to see what the Wii U could do to set itself above the rest and it did just that. The map and squad commands felt so streamlined with the gamepad that I don't think I could manage on the other consoles anymore.

I still feel that the pad is too big and bulky but it has certainly won me over and I haven't even had a chance to try Donkey Kong, Pikmin or Super Mario 3D World.

I suspect that the Wii U and the Vita are going to be my go to systems this year.

I currently have a 360, PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii U and 3DS. I picked up both the Wii U and 3DS in the last 3 months having said I wouldn't buy either. I thought the Wii U Gamepad looked uncomfortable, clunky and generally pointless and I didn't like the 3D in the 3DS. Now I am deeply ashamed of jumping the gun on both.

I don't think I have ever been so wrong about a product as I was the Wii U. I've already picked up a great selection of games for it and every one is worthy. I even picked up Mass Effect 3 which I had played to death on other systems. I wanted to see what the Wii U could do to set itself above the rest and it did just that. The map and squad commands felt so streamlined with the gamepad that I don't think I could manage on the other consoles anymore.

I still feel that the pad is too big and bulky but it has certainly won me over and I haven't even had a chance to try Donkey Kong, Pikmin or Super Mario 3D World.

I suspect that the Wii U and the Vita are going to be my go to systems this year.

I play my vita and wii u the most. So handy in a one tv household. So many great games on both.

I'll be picking up a 3DS soon but I decided recently to hold off for a while as im getting so much use out of the vita and wii u that really just don't need the 3DS yet. It'd be a purely greedy move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

CiderMan wrote:
    And, for that matter, do people really only have one home console on the go at a time?
    How limiting.

I had a Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 and a PC on the go for a while. Waste of money, I couldn't play all the good games on one format let alone four. There just isn't enough time in the day with work and having other interests. Can't see the point of having more than two.

Looking at the current generation of consoles. I think the line up on all three is still pretty week. You could argue the Wii U has a marginally better line up of exclusives (pretty much purely on the strength of Mario) than Xbox One or PS4 but it pretty much comes down to what type of games you like, no one can state it as fact. Aside from that point I'd expect the Xbox One and PS4 not to have too many AAA games out at this stage in its lifetime. The Wii U has less of an excuse at this stage.

Advertisement