Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendo have actually pushed an unprecedented stream of 1st party titles into their systems over the last 18 months.
    People tend to forget the releases via the Eshop, like Nes Remix for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Azza wrote: »
    I had a Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 and a PC on the go for a while. Waste of money, I couldn't play all the good games on one format let alone four. There just isn't enough time in the day with work and having other interests. Can't see the point of having more than two.

That’s the problem with Nintendo accepting that it’s a third console and not competing for more, if you have loads of games to play on system 1 and 2 how to you make the time for system number 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Don't know why they haven't created a metroid game. I'd buy a wii u in a heartbeat if one was announced.

Metroid and Starfox are my wants. The former probable, the latter eh not so much unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For the most part I see little reason for most folk to own both an XB1 and a PS4, given that the bulk of the games will be multiplatform, aside from the few exclusives.
    So, really, the WiiU can be bought in safety, seeing the lack of the third party titles as irrelevant, given you'll be buying them on the XB1/PS4 anyhow.
    You'll own a WiiU for the same reason you own a 3DS:XL, the games on it you just can't play anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Don't know why they haven't created a metroid game. I'd buy a wii u in a heartbeat if one was announced.

Would require long and expensive development, Prime 3 sold disappointingly, and attempting to outsource failed miserably. I could see Next Level doing a smaller scale one for 3DS maybe, but not another another big Prime-style game from Retro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another Other M style game would make me happy. Sure it had a stupid story but it was a good game.

I sold terribly though so doubt that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Another Other M style game would make me happy. Sure it had a stupid story but it was a good game.

I sold terribly though so doubt that will happen.

I usually agree with you, but I do not want another Other M style game. I did not like that Metroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I thought I read somewhere that a Metroid game is in the works? :confused: Did I imagine that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Allyall wrote: »
    I thought I read somewhere that a Metroid game is in the works? :confused: Did I imagine that?

I'd love a classic 2d metroid on the 3ds. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. It's atrocious that there're more or less no metroidvania style games on the 3ds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Another Other M style game would make me happy.

Metroid: Other M 2: Another Other M

That would make me happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    For the most part I see little reason for most folk to own both an XB1 and a PS4, given that the bulk of the games will be multiplatform, aside from the few exclusives.
    So, really, the WiiU can be bought in safety, seeing the lack of the third party titles as irrelevant, given you'll be buying them on the XB1/PS4 anyhow.
    You'll own a WiiU for the same reason you own a 3DS:XL, the games on it you just can't play anywhere else.

the only thing is a lot of gamers see nintendo's games as being very kiddy focused and are not into them at all. Sure they make some great games but the vast majority of teenagers up to adults have grown out of those games. Think that's a big reason why the Xbox One and PS4 are selling tenfold what the Wii U is selling and at a higher price.

And what a tragedy that is, that the ignorant think Nintendo make kiddy games.
    Good thing none of the knowledgeable games players would make such a foolish error. ;)

I'd love to see Metroid Prime style games for both the 3DS and WiiU.
    A proper new Starfox would be welcome as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

And what a tragedy that is, that the ignorant think Nintendo make kiddy games.
    Good thing none of the knowledgeable games players would make such a foolish error. ;)

Like it or not though, that is the image a lot of people have of Nintendo these days. For those people, the worst that can happen is they miss out on some great games....but life goes on. It's Nintendo's problem to fix, as people will happily spend money on other systems & games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd love a classic 2d metroid on the 3ds. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. It's atrocious that there're more or less no metroidvania style games on the 3ds.

Batman blackgate, castlevania mirror of fate, steam world dig?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Like it or not though, that is the image a lot of people have of Nintendo these days. For those people, the worst that can happen is they miss out on some great games....but life goes on. It's Nintendo's problem to fix, as people will happily spend money on other systems & games.

:(

:(

I know, I know :P And I know Nintendo have pushed a lot of 1st party stuff at the Wii U too, but if this thread is any reflection, they've a lot more work to do to fix their image & be taken seriously. They've made some strange choices in terms of marketing, the naming of the Wii U, the dismal eshop selection for the Wii U, & so on. I still think the prices of vc content is too dear to really use it as an incentive tp have the machine too.

With so little 3rd party support, it's a machine in no mans land. Last gen hardware, with great 1st party offerings, an overpriced eshop, marginally superior (maybe arguably inferior at times) ports of 3rd part games over the 360/PS3, awful marketing, confusion over what the controller even is (I love the tablet controller btw), confusion over what the console even is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ha. Nintendo make games that transcend age really, but to call people ignorant because they think that maybe Nintendo games are aimed at kids is gas. They're aimed at everyone but look at the artwork on most games. It's fantastic but it could be the Japanese Disney.

Wall-E and UP are two of my favourite films, and when I wanna buy them in BluRay, guess what section of a store, website I'll find them? And I'm fine with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

upcoming smash brothers and mario kart for the wii u will be two of the biggest/most important games for nintendo to try to move systems.

Nintendo really needs to advertise the living **** out of those two games because looking after those two games are out I do not know what else will move the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I really hate argument about Nintendo ips not being fresh. It holds absolutely no weight considering most buying ps4's and xbox1's do so for the latest fifa or cod which have mildly changed / havent changed at all in the past decade.
    Plus its been said before many times look a the likes of Mario 3D World, same IP but soooooooooo many new ideas.

And why buy a console now for future games that havent been released? I buy a console for games not hardware.

Fact is Wii U is a current gen console whether you believe it is or not. It has the best looking and playable games available on the market right now.

Don't get me wrong I'll buy a ps4 at some point but not until there's some decent games which i reckon will be at least another year yet. The console price itself is cheap but the games just arent there were as the wii u price isn't just cheap, its stupidly low and the games are there now as its been out a year.

Most will buy the other two consoles but Wii U because of incredibly poor Nintendo marketing is being pushed aside.

i feel sorry for those who are having to play knack instead of Mario 3D World.

I'd consider the Wii U somewhere between last gen and this gen. It's the only new console worth buying at the moment though as the PS4 and XB1 have no games on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

upcoming smash brothers and mario kart for the wii u will be two of the biggest/most important games for nintendo to try to move systems.

Nintendo really needs to advertise the living **** out of those two games because looking after those two games are out I do not know what else will move the system.

Sonic Boom obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

IT's the only new console worth buying at the moment though as the PS4 and XB1 have no games on them.

They do, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That's probably why I currently have no interest in purchasing the Wii U. I have no interest in either of those games. I'd play Mario Kart with a few friends sure as it's a load of fun but other than that it'd barely be touched.

As for Smash Bros, I'm very much in the minority with this one I assume as I genuinely don't understand the appeal... again must be in multiplayer as I found the game on the Wii to be very boring so not for me.

Also, I do play multiplayer games but the above are a bit more suited to local multiplayer which is very little for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Grayditch wrote: »
    They do, yeah.

I was indulging in a little hyperbole. To be accurate they have little or no truly exclusive games on them (i.e. games only on XB1 or PS4).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

it's a machine in no mans land.

I've an xbox one and I know when I switch on the Wii U I can play a game straight away, I can't say the same for the xbox, of all the consoles i've had none has failed as badly at being a console you can just switch one and play your game.
    I don't know how many times i've went to turn on the xbox and i've been met with "this game requires an update" decide to cut my losses and play another game and it's be like "this game also requires and update". I'd be like ffffuuuu at the xbox.

The Wii U wins at being a games console and that's the first job of being a games console.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ha. Nintendo make games that transcend age really, but to call people ignorant because they think that maybe Nintendo games are aimed at kids is gas. They're aimed at everyone but look at the artwork on most games. It's fantastic but it could be the Japanese Disney.

Wall-E and UP are two of my favourite films, and when I wanna buy them in BluRay, guess what section of a store, website I'll find them? And I'm fine with that.

And that makes you enlightened, which is the opposite of ignorant.
    I'm not trying to insult people by referring to them as ignorant, it simply means they assume Nintendo games are for kids and so don't play them.
    That implies ignorance, or that they are ill informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'll probably grab myself a PS4 when/after Batman Arkham Knight and Le Assassins Creed comes out, but till then, I'm extremely happy with my Wii U and the games I have for it.

This thread seems to simply regurgitate the same debating points over and over again.
    And Nintendo themselves aren't seemingly in the mood for strengthening the consoles position in the market with anything but a release schedule.
    I'm probably getting one of the two uber consoles during the summer, get the other one by Christmas.
    I want to play everything you see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nothing can be as bad as the delay as the dreamcast 2 has been

anytime now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I still think the prices of vc content is too dear to really use it as an incentive tp have the machine too.

This could have been a big seller for them. I know it takes time to get these things out, and get the emulation right and all that, but with free emulation so incredibly easy to do, and working close to perfectly in most cases, sitting on the best back catalogue in games and charging silly prices for a small range of content is beyond stupid.

• Advertisement

This could have been a big seller for them. I know it takes time to get these things out, and get the emulation right and all that, but with free emulation so incredibly easy to do, and working close to perfectly in most cases, sitting on the best back catalogue in games and charging silly prices for a small range of content is beyond stupid.

I couldn't agree more. The VC has huge potential to be a solid reason to own a WII U...it costs Nintendo virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things, to make Nes, Snes, GBA, N64 etc available to buy via the VC.

Advertisement