Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So we all agree that marketing has been the WiiU's downfall. Taking it back a bit, why did the GameCube sell less than anticipated? I wouldn't have considered myself a gamer back then so my knowledge is hazy at best. I'm curious to know what Nintendo could have learned from that generation and brought with them to their subsequent consoles.

What murphyebass said.

Playstation had become the only player in the 32bit race pretty much and was as synonymous with gaming as Nintendo and Atari were in their heyday.

The ps2 was already a year established by the time the GameCube came out and by then it's rubbish software line up was bolstered by the likes of gt3 DMC and the surprise hit gta3. It arrived after the Xbox as well which had Halo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Playstation had become the only player in the 32bit race pretty much

Woah woah, hold up there...are you forgetting the 32X?

runs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Radiosonde wrote: »
    It's a waste of the hardware if the that's all or most of what the console boasts, which may end up being the case on the Wii U, if Nintendo decides to rely on cheaper, faster to produce games. And Nintendo haven't made a "joyous" 2D mario plaformer since the SNES's heyday.

Got to disagree. 3d world and the 2 galaxy games are the best examples of 3d platformers there are and nsmb wii and u are up there with world and mario 3 in terms of quality. The console nsmb games don't get the love they deserve.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Woah woah, hold up there...are you forgetting the 32X?

runs

CDi was the real contender.... And 16bit :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Got to disagree. 3d world and the 2 galaxy games are the best examples of 3d platformers there are and nsmb wii and u are up there with world and mario 3 in terms of quality. The console nsmb games don't get the love they deserve.

I was talking specifically about 2D mario. The suggestion that nsmb wii and u are as good as Mario 3 or Yoshi's Island? Sorry, not in my book! Not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Regards to hardware power It should be good enough to meet developers vision on making games like for example Rocksteady wanting to create a more open world batman game that involves the batmobile.

That being said the biggest Issue I have with developers is pushing more realistic graphics which puts up the rise of development cost which we then see aload of ridiculous dlc non sense which people complain about when developers need to re coup the money making the game.

I made a thread a long while back stating I do not want to see or play a game like a beyond two souls where its basically a tech demo with crap and little to no gameplay and rather play a dragons crown.

Granted people feel they need to see a jump to justify to jump to next gen but it should matter in gameplay not graphics.

Wii u is more powerful than the ps3 and 360 and less powerful than the xbox one and ps4 but its specs do not determine the quality of games developers can produce on the console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Taking it back a bit, why did the GameCube sell less than anticipated? I wouldn't have considered myself a gamer back then so my knowledge is hazy at best. I'm curious to know what Nintendo could have learned from that generation and brought with them to their subsequent consoles.

Nintendo had lost a massive amount of third party support during the N64 era too, in part because they went with expensive cartridges (which third parties had to pay them to manufacture) while Sony went with cheaper CDs (PS1 had originally been part of a planned collaboration with Nintendo). That alienated a lot of third parties and left GameCube looking much more barren (not terrible, but not good compared to PS2).

Marketing was a problem then too, and the "kiddie" image seemed to really hurt them. Gaming was coming out of the nursery and the nerd's bedroom, and Nintendo's image didn't sit well with that. Honestly, if you think Nintendo is dismissed as "just for kids" now, it was way worse in 2001. Wii broke down some preconceptions there, but established a bunch of new ones ("casual" "shovelware" etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

From some of your replies, from a marketing perspective it sounds like they have been playing catch-up since the SNES regardless of how many quality titles they release.

They haven't been playing catch up just making stupid mistakes. The delay of the GameCube was a big factor but with the n64 they gave Sony nearly 2 years head start. By the time it came out Sony owned the market and had bought off third party devs by offering rock bottom licensing deals and control of units manufactured. Nintendo was slow to react and still offered third parties the same terms for licensing; a much higher license fee and capital down to by cartridge stock controlled by Nintendo.

Videogames are a business, there's no grudges. Nintendo had fixed their licensing agreements with the cube but launching late their sales suffered and third parties left when the investment to port to the system wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Alongside the lead that the PS2 had, when the GameCube launched, people simply looked at the console itself, largely advertised in it's original purple, saw a little colourful boxy thing with a handle, and laughed it off as looking like a child's lunchbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Alongside the lead that the PS2 had, when the GameCube launched, people simply looked at the console itself, largely advertised in it's original purple, saw a little colourful boxy thing with a handle, and laughed it off as looking like a child's lunchbox.

But that's why I bought it.

I bought a N64 and it wasn't blessed with the cornucopia of games that we witnessed in 8 and 16 bit generations.
    I bought the Cube after being burned by the N64 and there was more quality games but it wouldn't match the PS2.
    I bought a Wii and had to wade through a pile of shovelware crap and contend with motion control and sore sides after wii sports.
    But I didn't buy a WiiU.

Nintendo make great games but they need to up there game on all fronts. Or else they will eventual either go the way of sega or completely sell out on their principles and just become like the other competitors.
    The WiiU is not dead in the water but fu@k me are Nintwndo making a hard to of it.
    And Mario apart and Smash Bros. will not turn the system's fortunes around enough.
    Having said that sales are up in Japan on last week, whereas the ps4 made a drop.

Thought the wii was a great machine. I don't get the whole shovelware argument either. It had a lot of shovelware but its not like you couldn't ignore it and had to buy it. The PS2 had far more but that complaint isn't thrown against it. The main problem with. The wii again was third parties. It had great support until they realised the audience on it wasn't interested in buying games and abandoned it.

Nintendo really need to win the third parties back because as it stands this will be there fourth console that mainly Nintendo has ad to support all by itself with software. The next console has to be graphically comparable and easy to port to. Then again maybe Nintendo are going for another disruptive device like the wii and don't want to compete in the home market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thought the wii was a great machine. I don't get the whole shovelware argument either. It had a lot of shovelware but its not like you couldn't ignore it and had to buy it. The PS2 had far more but that complaint isn't thrown against it. The main problem with. The wii again was third parties. It had great support until they realised the audience on it wasn't interested in buying games and abandoned it.

Nintendo really need to win the third parties back because as it stands this will be there fourth console that mainly Nintendo has ad to support all by itself with software. The next console has to be graphically comparable and easy to port to. Then again maybe Nintendo are going for another disruptive device like the wii and don't want to compete in the home market.

Maybe the shovelware was just far more obvious on the wii than on the the ps2 due to the lack of good quality third party support.
    But why are we comparing the Wii with the PS2?
    I could be wrong but there appeared to be a lot more of those type of games on the Wii than on PS3 and the 360.
    What can they do to win back 3rd Party? Is it the way to go or can they expand 2nd party and ease the pressure on Nintendo to develop quality titles. With the likes of platinum developing wonderful 101, there could be room here with this approach to provide exclusive titles for the WiiU. Let these company's work with Nintendo IPs more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The ps2 was already a year established by the time the GameCube came out and by then it's rubbish software line up was bolstered by the likes of gt3 DMC and the surprise hit gta3. It arrived after the Xbox as well which had Halo.

I'm going a little off topic here but I'm just curious to hear what others thought. I remember in another thread you mentioned GTA3 being a surprise success. But was it really a surprise?

I remember reading previews at the time thinking this sounds amazing. It was also a franchise which I would say had a decent following from the top down games.

That game was one of the reasons myself and my brother got a PS2.. (well let's be fair.. MGS2 is the main reason)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm going a little off topic here but I'm just curious to hear what others thought. I remember in another thread you mentioned GTA3 being a surprise success. But was it really a surprise?

I remember reading previews at the time thinking this sounds amazing. It was also a franchise which I would say had a decent following from the Top down games.

That game was one of the reasons myself and my brother got a PS2.. (well let's be fair.. MGS2 is the main reason)

Yeah, I remember the popularity of the first GTA game at the time was massive but wikipedia seems to back up Retrogamer in calling it a sleeper hit. Was it a case of the first 2 games big sellers in Ireland and the UK with the third one becoming an international success?
    GTA III unexpectedly emerged as a smash hit and became the #1 selling video game of 2001 in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_III

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

By the time it came out Sony owned the market and had bought off third party devs by offering rock bottom licensing deals and control of units manufactured.

I'd hardly say that Sony "bought off third party devs". They incentivized development on their machine by offering developers better conditions than Nintendo and a bigger cut of the pie. Hardly buying them off, just good business by treating your development partners well.

I think Nintendo's poor treatment of 3rd party developers during the 8-bit and 16-bit eras is well documented i.e. threatening to withdraw development liceneses if they developed on other consoles, high costs etc.. Is it any wonder that they flocked to Sony? I have to wonder if this was the beginning of the end for Nintendo and 3rd party developers.

Well with regards to the GTA3 thing what I remember was that there was very little hype about the game at all with previews being quite dismissive of it in that it got very little space in magazines. GTA was a success but that had died off a bit by the time of GTA3's release. It wasnt until reviews came out that people took notice. It was looking like a very average game at the time with dreadful graphics and it wasn't until people actually played the final game that they realised just what it was and people went bananas for it. Once the reviews hit then GTA mania took hold.

Before then it kind of felt like on of those B-tier 'take it or leave it' type of games. It also promised a lot but then a lot of games did at the time and failed to deliver. It was when people realised it actually had delivered on it's promises that it got exciting.

For me at the time it felt like God of War. Lukewarm previews and people ignoring it until the reviews came out and surprised everyone.
    Vyse wrote: »
    I'd hardly say that Sony "bought off third party devs". They incentivized development on their machine by offering developers better conditions than Nintendo and a bigger cut of the pie. Hardly buying them off, just good business by treating your development partners well.

That's what I was trying to say but worded it badly :) Incentivized as you use is a much better word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

GTA III was not a surprise hit. Look at the production values. DMA / Rockstar were expecting a hit. You don't put that kind of voice talent and licensed music (not to mention the actual game engine itself of course) into a game you think will break even or lose money. It's not worth it. They knew what they had (or rather what they needed to make the consuming public think they had for opening week). And the pre-release hype was, if memory serves, mental. Everyone I knew was going crazy for it, and most of us didn't own Playstations, had to wait for the PC version. Expectation was huge from the moment they said they were going to make GTA in 3D, it got tonnes of coverage in gaming media. MAybe it depended what you were reading. At the time I was reading online when I should have been working harder, and there seemed to be plenty of excitement. Subjective opinion of course...

It might have been a surprise to Daily Mail readers. They certainly seemed surprised when it came out. Murder simulator! Gay bash for cash! Hookers for health! etc. It definitely made an impact outside of the gaming world, but then that was a growing general trend at the time anyway.

Edit : I'm old, I can't honestly remember if there was proper music on the radio in 3. But it had Debi Mazar, people. DEBI MAZAR! I'm not spelling her surname right, am I?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember GTA3 at the time, and as far as I'm concerned there was quite a lot of hubbub surrounding it's release.
    Now, this was all before the internet kinda brought hype to whole new levels but I do recall Edge doing previews of it and it looking amazing even then.
    It may have hit a wave of new PS2 owners with a surprise as a lot of people bought into the Sony branded consoles even though they never owned a PS, and so didn't play the PS original unless, like me, they had it on the PC first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Well with regards to the GTA3 thing what I remember was that there was very little hype about the game at all with previews being quite dismissive of it in that it got very little space in magazines. GTA was a success but that had died off a bit by the time of GTA3's release. It wasnt until reviews came out that people took notice. It was looking like a very average game at the time with dreadful graphics and it wasn't until people actually played the final game that they realised just what it was and people went bananas for it. Once the reviews hit then GTA mania took hold.

Before then it kind of felt like on of those B-tier 'take it or leave it' type of games. It also promised a lot but then a lot of games did at the time and failed to deliver. It was when people realised it actually had delivered on it's promises that it got exciting.

For me at the time it felt like God of War. Lukewarm previews and people ignoring it until the reviews came out and surprised everyone.

That's what I was trying to say but worded it badly :) Incentivized as you use is a much better word for it.

That's honestly really interesting to me. I honestly don't know if I blanked it out or if I just read the most biased magazines. Again I was a fan of all the others and the internet wasn't exactly as prevalent back then so I couldn't really tell if it was hyped but I remember really looking forward to it.

Funny now.. as while I still play and enjoy them. I'm not a huge fan of GTA anymore.

Same with God of War.. I remember looking forward to that game and enjoying the demo but I did only rent it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Daith

What I remember about GTA 3 was that all my brothers were really into it. Before that they might have played Mario Kart, Street Fighter or some of the wrestling games on my SNES but now they were fighting over the PS2.

I remember the original but it didn't capture the mood of GTA 3 and the references to films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved the first one and the London one in the 60s, didn't enjoy the 2nd one set in the near future at all though.
    Just played the GB Color version of the original now and it's awful though the GBA edition is quite good.

Banjo wrote: »
    GTA III was not a surprise hit. Look at the production values. DMA / Rockstar were expecting a hit. You don't put that kind of voice talent and licensed music (not to mention the actual game engine itself of course) into a game you think will break even or lose money. It's not worth it. They knew what they had (or rather what they needed to make the consuming public think they had for opening week). And the pre-release hype was, if memory serves, mental. Everyone I knew was going crazy for it, and most of us didn't own Playstations, had to wait for the PC version. Expectation was huge from the moment they said they were going to make GTA in 3D, it got tonnes of coverage in gaming media. MAybe it depended what you were reading. At the time I was reading online when I should have been working harder, and there seemed to be plenty of excitement. Subjective opinion of course...

GTA3 had quite a modest budget actually. DMA weren't a big company at the time. Rockstar were a tiny publisher as well with no real big hits under their belt and a hell of a lot of dross. They only hit it big with GTA3 and Max Payne (just look at their published games list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Take-Two_Interactive_video_games) They only licensed some unknown artists and the scarface soundtrack. Videogame voice acting was dirt cheap at the time, the actors in it weren't exactly big names and were doing work between gigs. Then there's the fact that PS2 games didn't cost all that much to make. They probably would have broke even at 150-200k sales.

There actually wasn't all that much hype about the game before it came out. I even read an article (I think from Jaz Rignall) saying that Rockstar specifically told them to down play the violence in case there was backlash from the press. The Hype machine only kicked in once the game was ready for review and the team realised they had something big on their hands that needed pushing. I don't know where all the glowing previews are from that you are talking about. Reviews were glowing but previews were quite tepid, here's a few examples:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/p_gta3

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hands-on-grand-theft-auto-3/1100-2809575/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2001-hands-on-grand-theft-auto-3/1100-2762402/

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2001/05/18/e3-2001-grand-theft-auto-3-impressions

Contrast that to when IGN got exclusive hands on with near finished code. IGN were the only ones with an exclusive at the time so other publications weren't raving bout it until September, a month before release. That's when the hype machine kicked into gear.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2001/08/27/exclusive-screens-and-impressions-of-grand-theft-auto-iii

It kind of just sounds like revisionist history to me that people talk about how hyped everyone was for it. MGS2 was the game people were excited for, not a ropey looking driving game that was the next iteration of a franchise that was moderately popular.

As for Edge raving about GTA 3:

http://www.edge-online.com/review/grand-theft-auto-3-review/

It's 8/10 but they gave it 6/10 at the time and changed it due to backlash (which of course they won't admit to being edge and all).

I remember their main issue was with the poor on foot combat, something that wasn't fixed for some time, not until the PC version anyway and I don't think the consoles had satisfactory on foot combat until GTAV.
    And the 6/10 was a misprint, as evidenced by the actual review.
    Dearest Retro, we're never going to let this go, are we?
    Gunstar Heroes 6/10!

ghedge.jpg

And here's their admission of getting it wrong
    What we got wrong: Labelling Gunstar as shallow is to miss the point – this bullet-fest is pure and lean, free of the bloat of unnecessary collectables and asides. You may not play it several times back to back, but its satisfying gunplay continues to draw us back in two decades after release. The co-op was far more engaging than suggested, too, often seeing the cart resuscitated for just one more try.

And as for GTA3,
    Here's the retraction and revision of their original 8/10 review, the one you said they wouldn't do as they are Edge, or something....
    What we said: "The considered and burgeoning topography of Liberty City feels both intricate and robust. It’s a place that sprawls but doesn’t bustle, and the sparse ambient effects which accompany your on-foot travails are testament to this…The one jarring flaw is the spurious nature of up-close combat – it’s an awkward system that stymies play during hectic hails of gangland warfare, and is doubly infuriating at the end of a protracted campaign." [8]

What we got wrong: If the measure of an Edge 10 is its impact on the industry, then the above score is two points off the mark. Developers today still talk excitedly about creating “living, breathing” worlds – and GTAIII offered the first. Its city was a sandbox, ripe and ready for players to tear through, and it accommodated players' destructive whims rather than attempting to corral them.

What we got right: The combat really was terrible. It wasn’t until GTAIV that Rockstar finally got gunplay right, the combination of the Euphoria engine’s procedural animation and a much-needed cover mechanic adding both emergence and structure to more violent encounters. And Liberty City could definitely feel sparse – this didn’t really matter at the time, however, as players hadn’t seen anything like it.

GTA 3 might have been quiet on published stuff but I remember everyone in school talking about it for weeks either side of release. I barely played back then but played it with 4 different people within a month of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Vyse wrote: »

I think Nintendo's poor treatment of 3rd party developers during the 8-bit and 16-bit eras is well documented i.e. threatening to withdraw development liceneses if they developed on other consoles, high costs etc.. Is it any wonder that they flocked to Sony? I have to wonder if this was the beginning of the end for Nintendo and 3rd party developers.

That reminds me of Microsoft currently trying to shaft indies but they're flocking to the PS4 and praising it at every attempt.

Plenty of third parties developed for the Wii and the DS and continue to develop for the 3ds.
    I think it's simple economics at this point on the WiiU why there aren't more being developed for the WiiU.
    The 8bit and 16bit are 20 year old history, of no relevance here whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Plenty of third parties developed for the Wii and the DS and continue to develop for the 3ds.
    I think it's simple economics at this point on the WiiU why there aren't more being developed for the WiiU.

I know, just saying that Nintendo used to be similar to the current Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Daith

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Looking forward to Mario Kart 8? Nintendo's reliance on their legacy from that era relevant though.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    Looking forward to Mario Kart 8? Nintendo's reliance on their legacy from that era relevant though.

The context of my comment was obviously with regard to previous relationships with 3rd parties,
    Their continued use of well regarded and critically popular intellectual properties is added used by all the hardware and software producers, so they aren't unique in that regard.
    Mario Kart 8 will, naturally, utilise classic Nintendo and specifically MK tradition combined with new elements, as evident in the previous superb addition to the franchise Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS.

Advertisement