Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What a shot in the foot. Brawl on 3DS is out this summer, and Wii U version is Winter. It really should be the other way around if they want to save the console. Bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

They were never going to release it so close to mario kart 8 and I also think the reason why 3ds version is running more smoothly is due to 3ds is easier and quicker to make than its home console part.

I do not see it disrupting the hype for the wii u version , people who want it will still get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

From what I understand, characters you unlock in the 3DS version will be unlocked for you in your Wii-U game. So no grinding for characters on the Wii-U come Christmas :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think cherryghost is right. Smash WiiU would have incentivised a lot of people to buy a WiiU. I think a lot of people now will just be happy to have it on the 3DS if there's not much of a difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think it's a misguided move too. I can see where they're coming from, no doubt - clearly aiming for the Christmas market, and attempting to get some fans' money twice. But having one of the Wii U's major titles show up perhaps half a year early on a lesser device is a bizarre call. The hype about the game will have certainly died down by the time the Wii U version shows up, and at that point more casual players will have well have well moved on. I'm not sure better graphics / controls and different stages will be an incentive to double dip for many outside the series' core fanbase, especially when they haven't announced any other bonuses for the WiiU version (indeed, they announced a 3DS exclusive mode instead!).

I don't want to predict how this will turn out commercially speaking, but it doesn't seem like a strong idea to me to undermine a potential WiiU saver in this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I wouldn't say it's a bad decision but a disappointing one for Wii U owners and potential owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely bizarre decision that really only seems to signal that even Nintendo are giving up on the Wii U. Nintendo should have been breaking their necks to get it out before E3 because after that, and after all the new next-gen games are announced for the PS4/Xbox One, then the Wii U becomes an even less appealing prospect to single console owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

When it does finally arrive on Wii U, the existence of an earlier 3DS version can't fail to diminish the game's impact (will GTA V on PC/PS4/Xbone be even remotely as big a deal as its original release? How about The Last of Us on PS4?) The Wii U will probably have the superior version, but 3DS will have had the first version; regardless of what new stages, new game modes, or other bells and whistles the Wii U may offer, the appetite for a new Smash will have largely been sated.

The Wii U's line-up for the rest of the year is looking pretty stark*: this in December (presumably); Bayonetta 2 (probably); X (hopefully) - those are the main ones. The rest hardly seems worth thinking about: Sonic Boom; Hyrule Warriors (e-shop only I guess); mythical Wii U port of Watch_Dogs - not much to get excited about there. As Smash appears to be the big Xmas release, it's a fair guess that Zelda U won't be out this year. That leaves last E3's intangibles - Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Yarn Yoshi - and whatever gets revealed around June this year and is actually slated for release this year (last year that was Wind Waker HD and Mario 3D World, and the eventually delayed Donkey Kong.)

Now what was that about dead in the water?

*not taking indies into consideration here.

Absolutely bizarre decision that really only seems to signal that even Nintendo are giving up on the Wii U. Nintendo should have been breaking their necks to get it out before E3 because after that, and after all the new next-gen games are announced for the PS4/Xbox One, then the Wii U becomes an even less appealing prospect to single console owners.

Has to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo is doesn't like to hype games month or even years before release. Pretty sure they will announce a good few big games at the E3 direct that will hit before Christmas.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo is doesn't like to hype games month or even years before release. Pretty sure they will announce a good few big games at the E3 direct that will hit before Christmas.

Like last year, when they announced a bunch of games and got two out the door before Christmas, and delayed a third because they had nothing else to release for the first five months of 2014? For a company that doesn't like to talk about games for long before release, they've been talking about MarioKart 8 and Smash and Bayonetta and X for nearly a year. And Pikmin 3 was previewed to death before it finally dropped. They don't like to but they're doing it.

They do do that but they can and will announce a game that is due for release in less than 6 months. I'm pretty sure there'll be something a E3 like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny that Smash Bros is the one game they do roll out a serious hype train for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They do do that but they can and will announce a game that is due for release in less than 6 months. I'm pretty sure there'll be something a E3 like that.

One game's not going to cut it at this stage though. They need five or six AAA Nintendo games that would be close to being ready to roll if they are to have any hope of stopping the rot. At the moment there's so little to even convince Nintendo fans like myself that they wouldn't be investing in a doomed console that they'll be able to pick up for next to nothing in a year's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

My love of all things Nintendo may have paid off. I might, just possibly if the stars align just so, be working with them on something very awesome in the near future. I am very excited! Fanboi city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

One game's not going to cut it at this stage though. They need five or six AAA Nintendo games that would be close to being ready to roll if they are to have any hope of stopping the rot. At the moment there's so little to even convince Nintendo fans like myself that they wouldn't be investing in a doomed console that they'll be able to pick up for next to nothing in a year's time.

I'm not sure how much they could possibly have up their sleeve at this stage. They'd need the most ludicrous of E3s with a lineup like Zelda, F Zero, Metroid, Mario Universe and probably a handful of others. The "core gamer" ship has sailed on them now, they're no longer focusing on them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

COYVB wrote: »
    My love of all things Nintendo may have paid off. I might, just possibly if the stars align just so, be working with them on something very awesome in the near future. I am very excited! Fanboi city
    COYVB wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much they could possibly have up their sleeve at this stage. They'd need the most ludicrous of E3s with a lineup like Zelda, F Zero, Metroid, Mario Universe and probably a handful of others. The "core gamer" ship has sailed on them now, they're no longer focusing on them

Your organising E3 for them! Great gig! :pac:

Congrats on the Ninty job though if it comes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

The poor WiiU, even its father seems to hate it :(

I think I will pick up the 3DS version as someone who dosent like Smash at all since it looks a lot more fleshed out than prev games in the series.

The WiiU version better be out of this world amazing for its 'christmas' release.

Anyone think they will just pull the plug on the WiiU after Bayo2 and X release? They have been floggin those two games for over two years now.

Just drop the home console this gen and stick with the 3DS, then jump back in when the PS5 and XBTwo comes out, could be 10 years away now but thats loads of time for Ninty to 'catch up'.

The WiiU must be eating money on them at this stage, no matter how much money they have, losing money is never good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't underestimate the amount of money Nintendo have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the amount of money Nintendo have.

I'm fully aware they have something like 8 billion in cash etc, I think the whole world is aware of how much cash they have now since the Wii U launched, but losing money is never a good thing for a company at the end of the day, but its like they just dont care about their red headed child much since launch nearly 17 months ago now. What is going on in HQ...

• Advertisement

Just because they have money it doesn't mean they are happy to lose it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tok9 wrote: »
    Just because they have money it doesn't mean they are happy to lose it.

No, but it means they can take their time to prepare a successful business model based around a new console, without resorting to a kneejerk reaction such as dumping the format which would damage the brand.
    The fact they are still supporting the format with good software, even when it appears that others have forsaken it, is a good sign.
    I am enjoying the WiiU, I am disappointed, as are most folk, that Smash Bros is not seeing a console release until the last quarter, I guess the pressure of producing volumes of AAA titles is ever present.

Anyone think they will just pull the plug on the WiiU after Bayo2 and X release? They have been floggin those two games for over two years now.

Yeah, I think so. Maybe Zelda U as its swansong, then pull the plug next year, probably to refocus on 3DS, its successor, and whatever QOL turns out to be.

They won't keep burning through their substantial cash reserves for the sake of the Wii U; they've got shareholders who expect the company to return to profitability and keep paying healthy dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I am enjoying the WiiU, I am disappointed, as are most folk, that Smash Bros is not seeing a console release until the last quarter, I guess the pressure of producing volumes of AAA titles is ever present.

Handheld Smash Bros is a new thing, so I think that the 3DS version may actually help the Wii U version, as it gives it time to be polished, possibly have more added to it, and if anything needs fixed/rebalanced, it'll be apparent way before the Wii U version launches.

Not sure I'd bother with the 3DS version, the joy of Smash Bros for me has always been in the local multiplayer.

without resorting to a kneejerk reaction such as dumping the format which would damage the brand.

a1963906807_10.jpg

;)

There's no way they'll dump the WiiU. It will do more damage to the company than good. They'll start making money on the system if they aren't already making money from it and turning a small profit is far better than losing consumer trust and support.

No, but it means they can take their time to prepare a successful business model based around a new console, without resorting to a kneejerk reaction such as dumping the format which would damage the brand.
    The fact they are still supporting the format with good software, even when it appears that others have forsaken it, is a good sign.

Well I wasn't suggesting they pull the plug. I was just stating they won't be happy to lose money. If I was nintendo I wouldn't make another console until the next cycle begins.

Otherwise they will be stuck in the same bubble they are in now where they are a secondary console again.

If they ever want to lose that tag they need to get proper third party support and be on a level playing field with Sony and Microsoft.

That way the only decision people have to make is which console has the exclusives they want and will there friends be there.

Right now it's just people like me waiting thinking.. is there enough single player exclusives on it now for me to warrant buying it and complimenting my PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Radiosonde wrote: »
    a1963906807_10.jpg

;)
    I don't think them dropping a platform notorious for giving people headaches is informative of much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

There are 6 million users on the wii u currently and saying nintendo should just drop the console and throw those users under the bus is just shocking.

Wii u is not selling is not because of its hardware power its simply sue to lack of marketing and general knowledge that the system exsist.

It has nothing to do with lack of quality games as wii u has more than enough at the moment in its first year and more coming along the way and more new titles will be announced at e3 in a couple of months.

Again I have to bring up last gen ps3 which was selling **** for 3 straight years possibly 4 but despite gabe newell and others asking sony should just drop it sony stuck it out despite the loss of money there consumers still put trust in the brand.

Things do not change here for nintendo, they have no choice but to stick it outand try to gain and much profit or as less loss in money till they bring out a new system.

If they drop it next year it will not be as simple as bring out a new system and everything be dandy for them.

1. They would lose consumer trust very much like sega

2. For a gaming only company handheld hardware and game profit would not be enough for them to gain and would ultimately lose way more than currently.

All you can do is make the most out of a bad situation and learn from your mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Daith

Wii u is not selling is not because of its hardware power its simply sue to lack of marketing and general knowledge that the system exsist.

I know the Wii U exists. I know what games are on it. I know it's not a Wii. I'm just not interested in buying one and I've been playing Nintendo games since the NES.

I'm not interested in a PS4 or XB1 yet either to be fair but they've only just come out.

Advertisement