Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Daith wrote: »
    I know the Wii U exists. I know what games are on it. I know it's not a Wii. I'm just not interested in buying one and I've been playing Nintendo games since the NES.

I'm not interested in a PS4 or XB1 yet either to be fair but they've only just come out.

May I ask what is different this time around for you than in the past ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everyone have to remember that games development takes an insanely long time, and that even if 12 or 18 months ago Nintendo went to panic stations and revised their software release strategy it would be at least this Christmas, probably even next Christmas before any of the results are seen. There's no way to turn around a console with anything other than a long term plan, and it's hardly like there's a shortage of mass appeal software due this year that could, with the right marketing, have a notable impact on the console's fortunes. I'd be genuinely gobsmacked if they decided to abandon ship before the release of several more major, unannounced titles.

That said, IMO games like X and Bayonetta 2 are no doubt going to be key titles on the format for many of us, but in no way going to massively change the commercial fortunes of the console as they're niche, enthusiast games even in Japan. It's easy for us to cite them as important titles because they are (certainly if I haven't a Wii U by the time B2 comes out, I'll be picking one up), but to a wider market they're effectively nothing. Bayonetta after all has never been called anything more than a very, very modest success, even a minor disappointment sales wise according to Platinum. Mario Kart is going to be a potential fortune changer on a completely different scale to those games. Although I still think the staggered Smash Bros. releases is a misguided move, and even brief Wii U exclusivity could have been a significant coup for the console.

People always underestimate the power of nintendo ips , not everyone but the grand audience in the gaming communities.

Mario kart 8 was 3rd I believe in famitsu readers top anticpated games for 2014 and the buzz surrounded by the internet is people are very much looking forward to it.

Smash bros melee was the most viewed game ever for evo last year , the franchise has a dedicated fanbase that will buy a wii u for the system when smash bros u is out.

The 3ds release will work in two ways , for some will be appetizer till the console version is out or for the normal folk will simply play the 3ds version and be happy with it.

I still believe this way of releasing on 3ds is to enchance 3ds users to jump to wii u.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

are people who buy nintendo consoles just for mario kart and smash bro's "daves" ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I want to caveat this post with "I'm saying things that are generalisations based on my own and other people's perceptions and do not necessarily my own personal opinion having read through this thread since it started, so please keep that in mind" :)

One of the recurring themes I keep seeing in this thread is the lack of 3rd party support. To suggest that Nintendo needs to produce some serious first party goods at E3 does nothing to address that problem. When incompetent muppets like DICE who still haven't fixed BF4 are taking pot shots at you for April Fools, that tells you all you need to know about how the product is seen by those you would want, dare I say need working on it (like them or not, EA pushes out a metric fk ton of games every year and can't be ignored).

This is where Nintendo needs to spend time if it wants to be taken seriously again outside of it's immediate (and ever shrinking) fanbase.

There've been a lot of great posts here by Nintendo fans, many of which have made me think of the company in a much more positive light, but I am the sort of customer they need to be wooing - I have disposable income and it almost all goes on games and games related things and they have done absolutely nothing to interest me - it's this thread that has me looking at picking up a 2DS for some fun. I've been looking at Mario and Link and Samus for thirty years - it doesn't matter how different all the various iterations of these games actually are, all I see as the casual observer is "lack of imagination" which is, you all assure me the exact opposite of what these games offer. However, like a lot of people, I felt very let down by the gulf between idea and implementation with the Wii hardware and 90% of the people I know who own/ed one said it gathered dust after about a year and almost never got switched on unless it was to play some party sports games and I can just see the exact same thing happening with the Wii U.

So yea, stop worrying about the First Party stuff (which I'm simply will to accept will be brilliant) and start getting third party devs back into the fold and when you roll out your next piece of "living room" hardware, it better be up to the same standards as the other big boys so that you can keep those 3rd party games coming out on your platform. The current similarity in internal hardware for PS4, XBone and PC means the gap only widens and the "silly little kids toy that can't even compete" just becomes less relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

What is a "dave"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

What is a "dave"?

A Dave is a guy that can't get no love from me, riding in the passenger side of his best friend's ride trying to holler at me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Daith

May I ask what is different this time around for you than in the past ?

I was thinking that myself. Let's see

I think I'm burnt out on the Mario 3d titles having spent far too much time on Galaxy 1 and 2.

There's no must have game I want. When I bought the Gamecube it was mainly because of Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4.

I'd like a new Zelda game but Skyward Sword left me cold.

The sequel to Xenoblade maybe.

I guess it's just over familiarity with the games. I'm sure Mario Kart 8 and Smash Brothers will be polished and fun but they're still at their heart the same games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

are people who buy nintendo consoles just for mario kart and smash bro's "daves" ?

I'm the anti dave. No interest in either of those. Mario Zelda and Samus for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People complain Nintendo don't come out with any new ideas, and then they go and announce a Western release of... whatever the hell this is :pac:

(It's actually an insanely popular series of titles in Japan, a localisation should be interesting to say the least)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also Nintendo's first free to play game came out there recently Rusty's Real Deal Baseball which is getting lots of praise with how it approaches the free to play model in such a brilliant and innovative way.

Nintendo do a lot of innovative and inventive stuff it's just a lot of people can't see past Zelda or Mario. The Kirby and Wario series in particular is where Nintendo try out their more off the wall ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,957 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

People complain Nintendo don't come out with any new ideas, and then they go and announce a Western release of... whatever the hell this is :pac:

(It's actually an insanely popular series of titles in Japan, a localisation should be interesting to say the least)

Did I just see Nintendo reference the Virtual Boy? :eek:

That game looks insane....ly brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

With Smash Bros coming out this year the Wii U looks like it might be the first console I buy. That said, I still don't feel excited about getting one like I did with the Wii where I had stuff like Zelda at launch and both Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy to look forward to in the near future. In the case of the Wii U, the main attractions for me are Smash Bros and Wind Waker and there's something troubling about buying a console just for HD updates of games I already own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Daith

C14N wrote: »
    With Smash Bros coming out this year the Wii U looks like it might be the first console I buy. That said, I still don't feel excited about getting one like I did with the Wii where I had stuff like Zelda at launch and both Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy to look forward to in the near future. In the case of the Wii U, the main attractions for me are Smash Bros and Wind Waker and there's something troubling about buying a console just for HD updates of games I already own.

I'd love to play Wind Waker again but not going to spend money on a Wii U. Give me HD Wind Walker and a WiiU version of 3DS OoT and throw in free downloads for the SNES/NES games. Make the offer more attractive Nintendo! :)

this is not directly towards the comments above but I find it interesting people go ape **** recently over the announcement of the last of us for ps4 which is just a straight up port that's not even a year old mind you but people are willing to pay 60-70 quid new for the game even though they have it for ps3.

the biggest complaint of the wii u at its launch was most of the games were on ps3 anyways but ps4 and xbox one launch is exactly the same , first 5 months its all ports and little upgrades of last gen games yet people ( not all ) responses towards this is well systems are new still give it time.

In fairness to how Nintendo handled the hd remake of wind waker is prob the best hd remake along with final fantasy 10 hd remastered with not just adding a coat of new paint but adding new features and fixing few problems.

this is not directly towards the comments above but I find it interesting people go ape **** recently over the announcement of the last of us for ps4 which is just a straight up port that's not even a year old mind you but people are willing to pay 60-70 quid new for the game even though they have it for ps3.

the biggest complaint of the wii u at its launch was most of the games were on ps3 anyways but ps4 and xbox one launch is exactly the same , first 5 months its all ports and little upgrades of last gen games yet people ( not all ) responses towards this is well systems are new still give it time.

In fairness to how Nintendo handled the hd remake of wind waker is prob the best hd remake along with final fantasy 10 hd remastered with not just adding a coat of new paint but adding new features and fixing few problems.

This is purely anecdotal but I saw a lot more grumbling about the re-release of The Last of Us than I did about Wind Waker for the reasons you mentioned and the response was generally just "well okay then". I mean like you said, it's not even a year old, there are still probably plenty of people who are still going to buy it on PS3.

Just speaking personally here as well, as someone who loved both Wind Waker and The Last of Us (they could easily both be top 5 of all time for me), the WW remake makes me want to buy a Wii U, the TLOU remake made me think "well if I buy a PS4 down the line I'll probably get that eventually".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I suppose it goes to show how successful Naughty Dog and Sony are at marketing their wares as opposed to Nintendo.

I'm not comparing Sly Cooper to Super Mario or any of the other Nintendo IPs in terms of quality but I saw a lot of people complaining online about getting a kid's game and how they weren't going to bother playing it when being Thieves of Time was given away with Playstation Plus this month. I think that's a major problem that Nintendo is going to have with people in terms of their perception of the main IPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You can head over to the thread to see what I think. Definitely hoping to hear more about price soon.

I don't think I'd ever buy a next-gen updating of an existing game at full price, TBH, unless I had never played it and it was a truly exemplary upgrade. Nintendo have often padded out early release schedules with that kind of release - 3DS was the same with OoT and Pilotwings, and the DS to a lesser degree. But I suppose it is a cheap and relatively lucrative way of keeping a console active until the AAA 'new' stuff gets released along the way - just not something I'm particularly inclined to buy into, whether that's Sony or Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

I don't have a Wii U but I have never been able to resist Mario Kart, the series has a power over me!

• Advertisement

I don't think I'd ever buy a next-gen updating of an existing game at full price, TBH, unless I had never played it and it was a truly exemplary upgrade. Nintendo have often padded out early release schedules with that kind of release - 3DS was the same with OoT and Pilotwings, and the DS to a lesser degree. But I suppose it is a cheap and relatively lucrative way of keeping a console active until the AAA 'new' stuff gets released along the way - just not something I'm particularly inclined to buy into, whether that's Sony or Nintendo.

I guess I would normally think the same thing, but the WW update looks absolutely outstanding. I played a demo of it at an EB Games and I was blown away by now good it looked. I had played "Remastered" versions of PS2 games on PS3 like MGS and GoW. They looked okay and I was expecting something like that but WW really does look like a game that came out yesterday. I wouldn't pay €60 for it but then, the original WW could actually be the last time I spent €60 on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Some morbid reading, although I think it's apples and pears. Financially Nintendo are in a much much better position than Sega were back then, also Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Watchdogs, Super Smash Bros and much more coming soon, which should make a big difference (MK8 especially), but morbid reading all the same..

http://tay.kotaku.com/dreamcast-outsells-wii-u-by-at-least-one-metric-1565298837
    Dreamcast Outsells Wii U, By at Least One Metric

Here's a thought that should have set stomachs turning at NCL in Kyoto: the Wii U is now at the same point in its lifespan (in North America, at least) as the SEGA Dreamcast was when official support ended... and over that time period, Dreamcast outsold Wii U by nearly two-to-one....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Allyall wrote: »
    Some morbid reading, although I think it's apples and pears. Financially Nintendo are in a much much better position than Sega were back then, also Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Watchdogs, Super Smash Bros and much more coming soon, which should make a big difference (MK8 especially), but morbid reading all the same..

http://tay.kotaku.com/dreamcast-outsells-wii-u-by-at-least-one-metric-1565298837

There's no comparison there. Sega were losing massively on every Dreamcast sold in comparison to Nintendo (which is why a price cut isn't a simple solution) and piracy had just taken off on the dreamcast meaning they'd would never make that margin back on software. The dreamcast sold well in its first year until the playstation 2 came where sales totally collapsed. The wiiu might not be selling much but sales haven't collapsed like they did for sega.

True, add to that, Nintendo have allegedly a pile of cash in their reserves.

Unrelated, and OT, but I had a Dreamcast, loved it, had a lot of extra's and quite a few games. I brought it around to a friends house to play on a long weekend, Mainly (Re-Volt), and left it there.. He died not long after, so God only knows what happened to it, I never asked..

I must get another. They're all well over €100 though.. :(

You'll get a dreamcast for less than 50 if you don't go looking in the usual rip off places.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You'll get a dreamcast for less than 50 if you don't go looking in the usual rip off places.

Yep, thanks, just found quite a few. :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's no comparison there. Sega were losing massively on every Dreamcast sold in comparison to Nintendo (which is why a price cut isn't a simple solution) and piracy had just taken off on the dreamcast meaning they'd would never make that margin back on software. The dreamcast sold well in its first year until the playstation 2 came where sales totally collapsed. The wiiu might not be selling much but sales haven't collapsed like they did for sega.

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure I seen the playstation vita outselling the wii u there for awhile , I am not up to scratch on how the sales were for the dreamcast but if anything going to hurt wii u up to this point is Nintendo themselves

After the PS2 launched sales of the Dreamcast dropped to just over a 1000 some months apparently. Not sure where I read that think it was a retrospective with the head of Sega's gams division in the US.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realised the Gamecube sales were so low :eek:. I thought that sold fairly well.. Don't know how that completely bypassed me..

Advertisement