Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gamecube had strong sales initially but they slowed to a trickle before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Dont worry guys, NES Remix 2 will turn EVERYTHING around tomorrow! System seller!! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dont worry guys, NES Remix 2 will turn EVERYTHING around tomorrow! System seller!! :pac:

Sarky git! :(

Lol! I'll be buying it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lol! I'll be buying it!

Me too!
    Just wish more people could live the machine, even me, wish I could live it more.
    I seem to be happier dying countless times in Dark Souls 2 on the PS3 than playing Super Mario 3D World on the WiiU!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Me too!
    Just wish more people could live the machine, even me, wish I could live it more.
    I seem to be happier dying countless times in Dark Souls 2 on the PS3 than playing Super Mario 3D World on the WiiU!

Yeah its a weird one alright, the games are there, the ones people scream out for all the time, but the Wii U just doesn't 'feel' like a Nintendo console for some reason, dont know why.

Haven't turned my WiiU on for a WiiU game in months. Mainly because I got a load of cheap games from PSN over the past 6 months that interest me more, and the 3DS....

Ninty need a bit of a shake up internally I think, cause those Gamecube to Wii to Wii U numbers are pretty harsh, no matter what way you look at them.

EDIT: Because I'm an international business man and know my stuff of-course, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Just wondering folks if there's any talk of a new Starfox or Pilotwings for the Wii U ? I only picked up the Wii U last week but it's hard to see any A-list titles coming other than Mario Kart and some of the UBISOFT games ?
    Are they planning on releasing any of the Gamecube games in HD or anything like that ?

Can't seem to see anything online about it..

Just wondering folks if there's any talk of a new Starfox or Pilotwings for the Wii U ? I only picked up the Wii U last week but it's hard to see any A-list titles coming other than Mario Kart and some of the UBISOFT games ?
    Are they planning on releasing any of the Gamecube games in HD or anything like that ?

Can't seem to see anything online about it..

No news on Pilotwings or Starfox or Metroid or HD remakes of Gamecube games or Gamecube on VC.

MK8 is out at the end of May. Super Smash Bro's 4 is looking like a Sept-Nov release(prob 2015 release tbh). Thats it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Gamecube had strong sales initially but they slowed to a trickle before the end.

When was the price cut, was that around 2004 or so? I seem to remember getting one for 99 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

No news on Pilotwings or Starfox or Metroid or HD remakes of Gamecube games or Gamecube on VC.

MK8 is out at the end of May. Super Smash Bro's 4 is looking like a Sept-Nov release(prob 2015 release tbh). Thats it for now.

Doesn't fill me with confidence. I wonder are they holding back titles for a bit of a Christmas Sales push or something ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I still can't believe there isn't scope for a hardware price cut, given Nintendo are in such a strong financial position in terms of cash reserves - this gives them the flexibility of selling the console at a loss in order to boost liquidity (and hopefully long term profits from software sales). Maybe they've worked out that even if the console was on sale at €100, not enough people would take the plunge for the strategy to be a success.

I bought the console on Adverts.ie a few months ago for €250, got five games and a Pro Controller in the bundle, wouldn't have bought it at 'full price' otherwise and since then have spent about €80 picking up four other games, with more games in my sights for the future. Surely ensuring that as many people as possible have the physical console under their TV is the best way to ensure the Wii U eventually becomes a success, and a (bigger) short term loss is justified?

Doesn't fill me with confidence. I wonder are they holding back titles for a bit of a Christmas Sales push or something ?

Kinda hopeing they have a mega plan for E3 in June and pull their socks up and have 100's of games to announce 1st and 3rd party mainly on Disc and some eshop stuff too. Christmas is a LONG ways off at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Me too!

Super Mario 3D World is great, excellent even and I love the Mario Bros U. They are great titles, no doubt about that and not just some rehash of an older release - well Mario Bros U kinda is.
    But, even if they are not rehashes of an older game they are not enough to keep you coming back to the machine and the other games released don't really do that either.
    Nintendoland is probably the best of the local multiplayer titles on it and that's what Nintendo is about for me - local mulitplayer. There isn't enough of those titles on the system and there is too much reliance on platformers in the big titles.
    There's no game like Fire Emblem, which can really suck you in for countless hours and that can make up for the scanty range of titles.
    The 3DS has an excellent variety in it's games and games that the hours can just whizz by - Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Zelda between two worlds, etc.
    And while the 3DS had some good titles in it's first two years it wasn't really until it's third year that we really saw an explosion of quality.
    This year doesn't look like it's going to reverse the fortunes of the WiiU much, despite Mario Kart - which will obviously give a big boast but then its a drought of games again.
    I can see Smash Bros. being delayed until 2015 and 2015 being the year that the WiiU really takes off when the likes of FE x SMT and X get released.

The WiiU is not dead in the water, its just currently paddling away in the shallow end.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Kinda hopeing they have a mega plan for E3 in June...

MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENT?
    Megaton-Hammer.png

As 2014 is dragging on I'm increasingly of the opinion that the OP was correct.
    The console is fine, and the software on it broadly damn good... However, sales are so poor with little stimulation from any new titles to proving effective in changing it's fortunes, it seems more likely to be a Nintendo first party machine and good for little else.
    And I can't see anyone really being converted to the cause.
    Makes me mighty sad though, if it's true.

The console is fine, and the software on it broadly damn good... However, sales are so poor with little stimulation from any new titles to proving effective in changing it's fortunes, it seems more likely to be a Nintendo first party machine and good for little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the announcement of the Mario Kart Bundle it may sell a few more, depending on price since people seem to want console and game for less than €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

If Fire Emblem came out on it, I'm pretty sure I'd already own one. Alas, it seems to be exclusive to 3DS atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Yup and that why a lot of us (imo) are waiting for a few more titles like Metroid, Zelda and if the price comes down while I wait that's even better.

That's my thinking anyway.

Donkey Kong is the only WiiU game I'm interested in this year and that's just not enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I dont think i can defend the console anymore up to this point, i think it could be very likely that wiiu may be discontinued next year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the announcement of the Mario Kart Bundle it may sell a few more, depending on price since people seem to want console and game for less than €50.

And yet about 12 million people were willing to pay full whack for their PS4 and Xbox One over the last 6-7 months or so. Most people will pay if they feel it's worth it. Unfortunately, it seems there's not a lot of people out there that think the WiiU is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Smyths have the Lego City bundle at €239.99, if I had access to a tv at the moment I would go for that.

http://www.toys.ie/-!132267-prd.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

And yet about 12 million people were willing to pay full whack for their PS4 and Xbox One over the last 6-7 months or so. Most people will pay if they feel it's worth it. Unfortunately, it seems there's not a lot of people out there that think the WiiU is worth it.

The wii u never appealed to me. It was overly expensive, underpowered, lacked any meaningful 3rd party support which made it entirely reliant on Nintendo to pull it along, and it had no quality games.

Now things are shaping up. It has a small handful of really appealing, quality games, so now I'm more open minded to the idea of owning one. Ok, it was mario kart that made me change my mind :p

If it was €150-170 with MK8 included I'd get one, but anything above that I wouldn't see it as worth it for me.

Maybe sometime down the road

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    The wii u never appealed to me. It was overly expensive, underpowered, lacked any meaningful 3rd party support which made it entirely reliant on Nintendo to pull it along, and it had no quality games.

Now things are shaping up. It has a small handful of really appealing, quality games, so now I'm more open minded to the idea of owning one. Ok, it was mario kart that made me change my mind :p

If it was €150-170 with MK8 included I'd get one, but anything above that I wouldn't see it as worth it for me.

Maybe sometime down the road

God, 170 WITH mk8 included? That's a bit crazy. Even the super slim ps3 doesn't go for that price.

I think the perfect price point should be 200 with say 20 Euro credit on the eshop, (and a proper account system!), I mean, honestly, it's out dated tech at the end of the day. Sure it has a few great games but as someone already said, 12 million people are happy to drop 400 or 500 quid on a new console, obviously Nintendo are completely outta touch with the market now. I really hope they learn a few things from the WiiU, and go back to the drawing, which I'm pretty sure they have been there dice March 2013.

God, 170 WITH mk8 included? That's a bit crazy. Even the super slim ps3 doesn't go for that price.

I think the perfect price point should be 200 with say 20 Euro credit on the eshop, (and a proper account system!), I mean, honestly, it's out dated tech at the end of the day. Sure it has a few great games but as someone already said, 12 million people are happy to drop 400 or 500 quid on a new console, obviously Nintendo are completely outta touch with the market now. I really hope they learn a few things from the WiiU, and go back to the drawing, which I'm pretty sure they have been there dice March 2013.

It's outdated tech with 32GB memory and no licensed blu ray player, €170 doesn't seem bad to me considering the 12GB PS3 goes for around that price in places.

For me though I won't bite until it's around €150.

I dropped around €500 on a PS4 between everything at the time and I think it was well worth it. I'm guaranteed a great supported console with my PS4 for years, Nintendo only do what they want to do, regardless of what consumers want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It's outdated tech with 32GB memory and no licensed blu ray player, €170 doesn't seem bad to me considering the 12GB PS3 goes for around that price in places.

For me though I won't bite until it's around €150.

I dropped around €500 on a PS4 between everything at the time and I think it was well worth it. I'm guaranteed a great supported console with my PS4 for years, Nintendo only do what they want to do, regardless of what consumers want.

€150 is way too low. Its putting it lower than handhelds.

€150 is way too low. Its putting it lower than handhelds.

Of course it is currently, but I'm saying I won't go near it until it's that price, no matter how many years that might take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Of course it is currently, but I'm saying I won't go near it until it's that price, no matter how many years that might take.

Ok so that's fair enough. I'd say it'll be a while though. I think €200 is the price point it should be at. Maybe €220 with choice of a game.

It really is an awful shame it's not getting played though forgetting te 3rd party mess it really is a fantastic console to play games on. The gamepad alone is reason enough to have it. It's allowed me to play waaaaaaaaay more than I otherwise would and I'm delighted to have experienced some of the best 1st games Ninty has released.

Can't wait for mario kart, smash bros, X and Bayonetta. Those games are enough reason to own a wii u on their own. The previews of each of them look amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Struggling with Deus Ex, still have Pikmin to start, SM3dW, injustice, darksiders, W101 to finish, and Lego City and ZombiU to worry about when I get a little TV time. In some ways this underperformance could not have come along at a better time for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Banjo wrote: »
    Struggling with Deus Ex, still have Pikmin to start, SM3dW, injustice, darksiders, W101 to finish, and Lego City and ZombiU to worry about when I get a little TV time. In some ways this underperformance could not have come along at a better time for me :)

This kind of supports a point I was thinking about.

How many games makes a console a worthwhile purchase? I can think of about 10 or so on the Wii U that would interest me without considering what will come down the line in a few years.

Advertisement