Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

^^^^ That's actually a very good question. I guess it's different for every person. I guess it's to balance the cost of the console with the number of games on it that interest you. going back to the 90's for a second... objectively, i would have liked a 3DO, but there was really only one game on it that I really wanted, so no it wouldn't have been worthwhile.

The WII U is great value on price, compared to it's counterparts, so people really have to ask themselves are they interested in (what looks like being) Nintendo only software.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I think the amount of games necessary to make a purchase is subjective alright.

But you have to take account of what other consoles you have that you actually play.

Personally I have an N64, PS2, 360 and Wii U currently hooked up under the telly. I also have a Vita, DS and NGPC.

The only reason I list these as I know thats not a lot comparing to others is that I'm only one person. I only have so much time in my life for playing games these days.

The unfortunate reality is I play I'd say an hour a day if I'm lucky. More likely to be less than that.

The Wii U and Vita are my go to systems as I can play them from my recliner.

However I intend on playing a bit of Tekken 5 this weekend (which might end up me playing Tekken 3 instead on the bonus arcade games section) and some Shumps as well whilst I have my arcade stick out.

So for me a console really doesnt need that many games at all.

Thats why for me the Wii U only having a say 15 games in total that I want to play is more than enough to warrant a purchase. Add on to that some indies and eshop titles and the Wii U on its own without all the other stuff I have would be more than enough.

That said when I was 15 and had loads of time and no money to buy all of the above I could have played hours every day and 15 games would have been nowhere near enough to warrant a purchase.

Definately an interesting question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-30-buy-mario-kart-8-and-get-a-free-wii-u-game
    That is a pretty good deal . WiiU was looking at a sales spike with the release of MK but that'll see a few more jump in .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

derm0j073 wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-30-buy-mario-kart-8-and-get-a-free-wii-u-game
    That is a pretty good deal . WiiU was looking at a sales spike with the release of MK but that'll see a few more jump in .

Sweet! Some amazing games in that freebie list!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As 2014 is dragging on I'm increasingly of the opinion that the OP was correct.
    The console is fine, and the software on it broadly damn good... However, sales are so poor with little stimulation from any new titles to proving effective in changing it's fortunes, it seems more likely to be a Nintendo first party machine and good for little else.
    And I can't see anyone really being converted to the cause.
    Makes me mighty sad though, if it's true.

The problem is in my opinion, Nintendo's first party games largely don't appeal to me and i'd imagine it's the same with most others not buying them. I would by an Xbox One or PS4 just for Sony/MS first party line up despite liking them a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah no matter how good they are a new Mario, Zelda, Kart, Smash, Prime, Yoshi have 0 interest to me.

Well maybe not 0 but still not enough to buy a console

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah no matter how good they are a new Mario, Zelda, Kart, Smash, Prime, Yoshi have 0 interest to me.

Mario is the only one that interest me but on the same level as Crash Bandicoot. I'll play it for the nostalgic moments but I'm not going to buy a new console time and time again for the same series. People don't realize the main reason the Wii was so big is down to the motion controls and games like Wii play/sport/fitness/kart etc going global for 3 years. It was a fad and i don't see them pulling it off again anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

...I can't see anyone really being converted to the cause...

I know that comment was made a few days before Tesco announced they were selling the MK8 bundle for £199 and you can get a free game, but I saw a massive thread somewhere last night, not sure if it was HUKD or another forum, nearly everyone had pre-ordered or was about to. At a guess I'd say there was 50-70 different people.
    That's just one thread in one forum in one day.

I'd say it may pick up this summer.. :D

I hope so anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Mario is the only one that interest me but on the same level as Crash Bandicoot. I'll play it for the nostalgic moments but I'm not going to buy a new console time and time again for the same series. People don't realize the main reason the Wii was so big is down to the motion controls and games like Wii play/sport/fitness/kart etc going global for 3 years. It was a fad and i don't see them pulling it off again anytime soon.

People don't realise? You serious?

I wouldn't call the motion controls a fad either, Nintendo just haven't utilised it anywhere near enough with more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

RoyalCelt wrote: »

You do realize that every console since the dawn of consoles is guilty of running with a popular series?

What Halo game are we on now?

How many GTA games have there been?

How about Call of Duty?

Gran Turismo?

Mario games are, in the majority of cases, fantastic. As long as they keep the ideas in the games themselves fresh then long may Nintendo continue to make them.

The Wii motion controls can be looked back on now as a bit of a fad, but the console itself had some amazing games.

If there's anything the last 30 years of videogames history has shown us it's that Nintendo first party IPs are definitely anything but a fad.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    You do realize that every console since the dawn of consoles is guilty of running with a popular series?

The twins are mostly ONLY game series' aren't they?

I don't know where to start counting, but I'd say there are more series' of games than not, on both of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Corholio wrote: »
    People don't realise? You serious?

I wouldn't call the motion controls a fad either, Nintendo just haven't utilised it anywhere near enough with more games.

Not to mention both Sony and MS continue their own attempts to make their own mark in the area of motion controls.
    It's simply untrue to suggest that the Wii was a fad.
    I don't think a fad would have sustained such sales over such a period of time.
    Also, that would suggest that the 360 was also a fad, given neither the original Xbox or the XB1 have enjoyed anything like the popularity of the 360.

But we are ploughing over old ground here, with the same comments about the Nintendo franchises being reheats, boring or irrelevant while Sony/MS franchises seem to get a pass and are lauded as system exclusive must haves.
    It's a certain axe some seem to have to grind where Nintendo are concerned, and not grounded in any sort of objective opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Not to mention both Sony and MS continue their own attempts to make their own mark in the area of motion controls.
    It's simply untrue to suggest that the Wii was a fad.
    I don't think a fad would have sustained such sales over such a period of time.
    Also, that would suggest that the 360 was also a fad, given neither the original Xbox or the XB1 have enjoyed anything like the popularity of the 360.

But we are ploughing over old ground here, with the same comments about the Nintendo franchises being reheats, boring or irrelevant while Sony/MS franchises seem to get a pass and are lauded as system exclusive must haves.
    It's a certain axe some seem to have to grind where Nintendo are concerned, and not grounded in any sort of objective opinion.

Look at Wii software attach rates compared to the other consoles you listed though. They were very low on average compared to the 360 and PS3, which were in the Wii generation. It implies that the Wii was a fad in general, while it sold alot of consoles, software rates were very low. How many non gamers bought the Wii Fitness pack, used it for a few weeks and never used the console again? A few million at least I reckon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sadly there are absolutely no stats to suggest what you say is true.
    The only thing apparent is that a lot of people bought the console for a few key titles, Wii Fit being one of them, and not being part of the typical games playing market they simply weren't interested in buying EA or Ubisofts latest opus.
    For them the device was a lifestyle machine, perhaps.
    But there were plenty of games players who bought the machine and the games.
    If we are in the business of speculation I would suggest that an awful lot of damage was done with the ease of setting up a hdd full of game images, and so software sales were badly hurt.

The success of the 3DS and the DS and Gameboy ranges before it would indicate that Nintendo know the market a lot better than current commentary would suggest and to sign up to the prevailing opinion that they are on the brink of collapsing due to irrelevance is misguided in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

RasTa wrote: »

And you are telling us this why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I have to admit that MK8 bundle with a free downloadable game and extra wii remote (not 100% sure on that one) is one deal. I said I'd get it if it was €150-€170, but with all that it'd technically be at that price, really.

MK8 and the HD zelda would be class

Even if no one other than Nintendo and Ubisoft make a game for the WiiU, at around €200 and with it's existing software library and the exclusives to come, it's a good deal.
    I'm looking forward to new Metroid, Zelda and maybe a HD Metroid Prime collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Daith

The success of the 3DS and the DS and Gameboy ranges before it would indicate that Nintendo know the market a lot better than current commentary would suggest and to sign up to the prevailing opinion that they are on the brink of collapsing due to irrelevance is misguided in the extreme.

These are two different markets though.

Nintendo don't get the current console market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

There are rumours moving rapid that nintendo are going to be showing new hardware at E3 but its unknown whether its a new home console or new handheld

There are rumours moving rapid that nintendo are going to be showing new hardware at E3 but its unknown whether its a new home console or new handheld

Maybe an add on for the wii u 32x style!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks like it's a hand-held, be that a new handheld or a new version of the 3DS where you can swap in buttons/dpad/analogue pad etc...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057201723

Any new Nintendo hardware will have me rooting around in me pockets for change.
    Can't wait to see what's on offer.

Judging by that we are going to see a handheld that can run WiiU games, most of which are available as digital downloads from the store.
    It would mean Nintendo would have the most powerful handheld in the market with a library of WiiU games the Vita would give it's left ball for.
    Couple that with an assumed 3DS/DS backwards compatibility and it would sell buckets.
    Maybe throw in a docking station so you can still use your WiiU controller and plug it into your hdmi port on the TV.
    That could be very interesting indeed, if it wasn't speculation.

Ah E3 and Nintendo this year is hyping up nicely. I'm getting my hopes up for new Wii U games and hardware announcements now it seems.

How am I going to deal with the dissapointment. More Mario Kart I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I would think they will a new re-design for the 3DS at E3, XL has been out over 2 years now, maybe as someone already said up above, a connection that physically links the 3DS to the Wii U (docking station or something?) so you can play 3DS games on the tv with the Gamepad? I'd buy that!

I wonder if MK8 will sell gangbusters or if it will just help the Wii U plod along until Smash comes out for the Wii U. I'm certainly not too hyped for MK8 as I would have been for MK7 as it does look like more of the same again, but no doubt I will be buying it on the 30th and it will be great.

Also, QoL... wonder if anything will be said about that in the E3 Direct thingy. Or will they leave that unveiling for anyother time, maybe closer to xmas. I just really need to know what this QoL thing is. Hopefully not more Wii Sports ****e.

Also, QoL... wonder if anything will be said about that in the E3 Direct thingy. Or will they leave that unveiling for anyother time, maybe closer to xmas. I just really need to know what this QoL thing is. Hopefully not more Wii Sports ****e.

IGN says they will definitely be announcing new hardware, but doesn't say whether or not it will be QoL (Quality of Life) or anything else.
    AFAIK QoL is Wii Sports related, and a bit more. Many speculating that it will include wearable equipment/add-ons. I thought that was known, but after looking a bit further, that again is speculation...

Loads of speculation about a new, more powerful Wii U. I would be very disappointed (To say the least) if that is what it turns out to be.

I'd love it if it was some sort of addition to the Wii U making it more powerful and open to tons more add-ons, and ways to play games.. :D
    (I can dream :))

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Is nobody talking about Nintendo's rather startling announcement that they're going to be running a professional Smash tournament at E3? I follow a lot of e-sports stuff (despite Fighting Games people saying they're not e-sports, they are) and Nintendo has always been absolutely ADAMANT in the past that their games not be allowed to be broadcast as a part of a professional competitive event and they've given the impressions that they're very much against the games even being used as a competitive option to begin with. Could be the start of a change in thinking in the company, long overdue!

Shiminay wrote: »
    Is nobody talking about Nintendo's rather startling announcement that they're going to be running a professional Smash tournament at E3? I follow a lot of e-sports stuff (despite Fighting Games people saying they're not e-sports, they are) and Nintendo has always been absolutely ADAMANT in the past that their games not be allowed to be broadcast as a part of a professional competitive event and they've given the impressions that they're very much against the games even being used as a competitive option to begin with. Could be the start of a change in thinking in the company, long overdue!

It's going to be in best-buy stores across America or something, isn't it?

Kind of teasing us a little..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Allyall wrote: »
    IGN says they will definitely be announcing new hardware, but doesn't say whether or not it will be QoL (Quality of Life) or anything else.
    AFAIK QoL is Wii Sports related, and a bit more. Many speculating that it will include wearable equipment/add-ons. I thought that was known, but after looking a bit further, that again is speculation...

Loads of speculation about a new, more powerful Wii U. I would be very disappointed (To say the least) if that is what it turns out to be.

I'd love it if it was some sort of addition to the Wii U making it more powerful and open to tons more add-ons, and ways to play games.. :D

This time last year if that was announced I would be kinda pissed at Nintendo, but right now, if they announced a new stronger system, I personally wouldn't give a cr*p, its sold worse that even the Dreamcast at its same stage in its life (10million DC's compared to 6-7millon wii U's as of Mar 2014) and you have to remember there wasn't as many people in the know or even interested in gaming at the time of the Dreamcast as there is now-a-days. And tbh, I dont think people would even notice the Wii U being fazed out for a newer stronger system in 2015 or something.

Kinda doubt they would do that though, think they will just ride the Wii U storm till 2017.
    Shiminay wrote: »

Yes its great news, but I have no interest in Smash at all, never have and never will. And its for America only so....

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »

I really cant see Nintendo pulling the plug on the Wii U right now. Its too far gone. I reckon another couple of years and then release a new console sort of mid PS4/Xbone cycle.
    Personally I'd rather they do it at the same time as the other two next time with similar specs but I dont see that happening.

Weirdly I'm with you on the addition part though. I'd love something like the Sega 32x but its more likely to be something like the N64 Expansion pack if its is a hardware upgrade.

Again though I doubt it'll be either of those. Most likely is the Sports pack others have mentioned or maybe some sort of interaction with a new 3DS.

Advertisement