Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Pretty sure its QoL thing. Or a redesign of the 3DS.

Rumour mill in full swing already for E3. I think if they were going to announce a new system, they would be doing a live conference in the building, not a video.

But then again, it is Nintendo, they have done some crazy weird stuff over the past 3 decades. Just look at that Mega64 video they just released, and when did they start teasing the Wii to us as the Revolution? 2004? Earlier? 3 years after the Gamecube launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,104 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno how good of indicators the rankings are, but I see MK8 is at #4 on the video games best sellers on both amazon.co.uk and .com.

Also over on hukd, both MK8 offers are over 2500 degrees for the Tesco bundle and over 3000 for the free game promo. Again it's not a perfect indicator but going by comments a lot of people are jumping on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Mario is the only one that interest me but on the same level as Crash Bandicoot. I'll play it for the nostalgic moments but I'm not going to buy a new console time and time again for the same series. People don't realize the main reason the Wii was so big is down to the motion controls and games like Wii play/sport/fitness/kart etc going global for 3 years. It was a fad and i don't see them pulling it off again anytime soon.

I had to reply to this. Nostalgic moments? Arse. Each Mario game keeps introducing new a fresh ideas. 3D world is exceptional!

Crash Bandicoot..never liked it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And people once again see Mario and assume they know what the game is going to be like, when the Galaxy and 3D World /Land titles are quite different, and the New Super Mario Bros titles are different again.
    Crash, on the other hand, peaked with the third one on the PS and hasn't had an original thought since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Mario hasn't a patch on Killzone, though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Grayditch wrote: »
    Mario hasn't a patch on Killzone, though...

True, true...

No, wait, what?

Think he meant Mario isn't a patch for Killzone. So even Mario couldn't fix any problems Killzone has.

It's like. Ok, you haven't got your fireballs, but there's a few decent guns.

• Advertisement

But does it have a princess? Or cake? :) Or the implication that a princess is the mother to a dinosaur type creature?

That M16 isn't going to make a dent in Bowsers hide son, you're going to have to trade up for a pair and of red dungarees and the ability to project fire from your palms.
    Then drag him around by the tail and toss him into the lava.
    It's only natural!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That M16 isn't going to make a dent in Bowsers hide son, you're going to have to trade up for a pair and of red dungarees and the ability to project fire from your palms.
    Then drag him around by the tail and toss him into the lava.
    It's only natural!
    Not only that; Bowser has a build in frame thrower with unlimited range! Shot him with your M16? Sure; he'll simply hose you down with fire a whole castle away...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Nody wrote: »
    Not only that; Bowser has a build in frame thrower with unlimited range!

Throwin' frames around like you wouldn't believe, door frames, window frames, dolce and gabbana glasses frames, glen hansard. Completely indiscriminate.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Throwin' frames around like you wouldn't believe, door frames, window frames, dolce and gabbana glasses frames, glen hansard. Completely indiscriminate.

Slightly more frames per second than it's competitors, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Would people stop throwing that dreamcast outsold the wiiu at this point in its life cycle. It was found that the figures were totally fabricated, the figure for the dreamcast was for total lifetime sales and not sales after 18 months. The dreamcast was in a far worse position after 18 months.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Would people stop throwing that dreamcast outsold the wiiu at this point in its life cycle. It was found that the figures were totally fabricated, the figure for the dreamcast was for total lifetime sales and not sales after 18 months. The dreamcast was in a far worse position after 18 months.

Now,
    The mod said it.
    Give up the old nonsense ya trolling backstards!

WiiU ftw!

Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/nintendo_quashes_rumours_of_new_hardware_at_e3_2014

Its totally not true. But then again, Nintendo lie all the time! Last time I remember everywhere was saying a new 3DS is coming out in 2012 before E3, Nintendo said no, hand on heart, there is not, the Taco style 3DS is the final version and no other version will be coming so soon then BAM a few days later the 3DS XL was announced.

I'll never forget that, they lied :(

I suppose if a new device is a convergence of existing formats, like a WiiU in a portable form factor, then it's possible one can interpret that as no new hardware... Kinda...
    Could turn out to be little more than a glorified Wii Fit yet.

• Advertisement

It's the new Vitality Sensor, packaged with Fatal Frame 5

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/29/5664322/nintendo-e3-press-conference-2014

They may speak about the hardware at a different event.

Realistically, has anybody got any idea what the chances are of FFxiv coming to the Wii U?

I keep hearing Square Enix say things like, "We want it across as many platforms as is possible", "PS3 didn't have enough dedicated RAM, so it was difficult to make it for that.", "The Wii U has 2-3 times more dedicated gaming RAM than the PS3" and "We are not porting it to the microsoft consoles, because they will not open up to cross platform gaming."

So the Wii U is capable, is probably open for cross platform, is another Console.. Yet I haven't heard anything about FFxiv coming to it.. :(

I presume we are to take 'As many consoles as possible' to mean 'Sony consoles and PC's." - Unless I'm missing something?

Well we know Nintendo and Steam were willing to play nice together with Toki Tori 2 so cross platform mightn't be a stretch. Also they would probably like to get FF back.

However, as with most 3rd parties, they mightn't see it as being worth their while porting to Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

o1s1n wrote: »
    You do realize that every console since the dawn of consoles is guilty of running with a popular series?

What Halo game are we on now?

How many GTA games have there been?

How about Call of Duty?

Gran Turismo?

Mario games are, in the majority of cases, fantastic. As long as they keep the ideas in the games themselves fresh then long may Nintendo continue to make them.

The Wii motion controls can be looked back on now as a bit of a fad, but the console itself had some amazing games.

If there's anything the last 30 years of videogames history has shown us it's that Nintendo first party IPs are definitely anything but a fad.

I'm only calling it a fad because it caught on for a short time. By caught on I mean it went mega global. The second half of the Wii's life cycle which is almost up didn't see good sales at all. By the time the next Wii (or whatever) comes out ninty will have ad bad console sales for a very long time.

What I'm saying is the motion controls got the mass public on board which meant the console got great support from 1st and 3rd party and many exclusives. Now that the wii has bombed the 3rd party's jump off the sinking ship and it looks bleak. Mario Kart and Smash Bros are the Wii U's last hurrah and need to change things around or it's goosed.

The Wii U was gambling on the pad doing for it what the motion controls did for the Wii. Will they strike gold with their next idea? To me VR| is the next big thing and Sony is going to hit that hard pretty soon and with facebook now owning the Oculus Rift I can't see it working for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

There is. You won't see it at E3 though. At least it's not the plan right now.

They've already publicly confirmed there's new hardware, and it'll be shown before the end of this fiscal (March 31, 2015)

It's not a Wii U or 3DS replacement though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I bought 2 Wii games yesterday actually. WII GAMES.

COYVB wrote: »
    There is. You won't see it at E3 though. At least it's not the plan right now.

They've already publicly confirmed there's new hardware, and it'll be shown before the end of this fiscal (March 31, 2015)

It's not a Wii U or 3DS replacement though

Bugger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Shiminay wrote: »
    Is nobody talking about Nintendo's rather startling announcement that they're going to be running a professional Smash tournament at E3? I follow a lot of e-sports stuff (despite Fighting Games people saying they're not e-sports, they are) and Nintendo has always been absolutely ADAMANT in the past that their games not be allowed to be broadcast as a part of a professional competitive event and they've given the impressions that they're very much against the games even being used as a competitive option to begin with. Could be the start of a change in thinking in the company, long overdue!

I didn't know they were so strict about it, although given how idiosyncratic Nintendo are as a company it doesn't surprise me much to hear they are. With the latest Smash Bros having a specific competitive online mode though it seems like they could be embracing that more in an attempt to win over some hardcore gamers.
    Weirdly I'm with you on the addition part though. I'd love something like the Sega 32x but its more likely to be something like the N64 Expansion pack if its is a hardware upgrade..

Is there any precedent of add-on hardware ever working out for the best? It seems like it generally just results in having a fractured hardware base and giving an even smaller audience for devs to sell to. Not to mention that part of the problem with the Wii U is already that it's kind of confusing for consumers, adding on more hardware will only exacerbate that.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

It's also worth noting that the Dreamcast came out on the back of the Saturn, which, iirc was an even bigger turkey than the DC, most people I know have never even heard of it. Nintendo on the other hand, are coming off the success of the DS, Wii and 3DS so it seems ridiculous to think it will be a repeat of what happened to Sega. I'm sure the Wii U will at least reach Gamecube levels of success, and if it does I'll get one because the GC had a small but fantastic library of games.

I don't think there's anything new or unexpected in this news, I expect nintendo will still continue with their marketing for this years games. It's a pity that they seem to be relying so heavily on MK8 though.
    2.8 million sales expected this year, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed that with the games coming and the prices of some of the current games.

Nintendo announce (expectedly) another net loss due to poor Wii U sales.

Nintendo forecasts net loss, slashes Wii U sales target
    If Bad News Barrett been at Nintendo headquarters last week, he might have banged his gavel before using his trademark catchphrase, “I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news!” Nintendo announced last Friday, May 2 that the company is forecasting a net loss for this year due to the poor sales of the Wii U console. The gaming company announced that they expect a loss of 25 billion yen ($240 million) for the year, through March 2014. This was a reversal of their previous forecast of a 55 billion yen profit forecast, with an expected annual revenue drop of about 36 percent.

The significant downgrade for Nintendo shows a huge contrast to its competitors, Sony and Microsoft, which have had much greater success with the recent launches of their new consoles–the PlayStation 4 from Sony and the Xbox One from Microsoft. Both consoles for Nintendo’s rival companies launched last November. The sector of home game consoles is approximated to have an annual financial worth of $44 billion.

Nintendo also announced that they expect to sell about 2.8 million units for the Wii U worldwide this year. This is a third of their earlier prediction of a sales mark of 9 million consoles. In comparison, Sony’s PlayStation 4 console had already sold more than 4.2 million units by the start of the year, after being launched on Nov. 15, 2013. The Wii U launched in late 2012.

• Advertisement

And some good news.. :)
    Mario Kart 8 Becomes Wii U's Best-Seller On Amazon, Passes PS4
    In the hourly best-seller list in the video game section, Mario Kart 8 has surpassed the PlayStation 4. The title – in pre-orders alone – has also become the best selling game for the Wii U on Amazon.

A lot of this is in good part to the elevated hype that Nintendo is rolling out for Mario Kart 8 as if Don King was a sponsor in the Hunger Games. The title's gameplay is already being hailed as an excellent treat for newcomers and nostalgia-ridden gamers alike.

Advertisement