Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

1782532_1600422310183018_3057567349831645574_o.jpg

My game shelf disagrees with the idea that the Wii U has no games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

cloud493 wrote: »

I think when people say that they just mean it doesn't have much to entice a PS3/360 player. I mean even 12 of your own games are ports of ones from those systems.

That said, this is also broadly true of the XBO and PS4 since neither have enough of an install base to make devs want to make games that are next-gen only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As someone who Nintendo don't have to sell a console at the mo, I wonder where we'll be game wise in 2015, all of their biggest franchises, with a handful of exceptions, have had updates and new editions but 2015/16 seem like they are going to slightly bereft.
    With Zelda with a new update and maybe Metroid everything else is done.
    And this gives cause for worry tbh.
    WiiU Kirby perhaps?
    Kid Icarus?
    Will Layton and Phoenix make their way to the home console?
    These are my concerns.
    I would love to see some stuff from Namco, perhaps Ridge Racer, Ace Combat or Katamari, maybe Soul Calibur or the like.
    Could Nintendo get some developer transfer from the 3DS to the WiiU?
    Or will the E3 and Nintendos own presentation change the game completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As someone who Nintendo don't have to sell a console at the mo, I wonder where we'll be game wise in 2015, all of their biggest franchises, with a handful of exceptions, have had updates and new editions but 2015/16 seem like they are going to slightly bereft.
    With Zelda with a new update and maybe Metroid everything else is done.
    And this gives cause for worry tbh.
    WiiU Kirby perhaps?
    Kid Icarus?
    Will Layton and Phoenix make their way to the home console?
    These are my concerns.
    I would love to see some stuff from Namco, perhaps Ridge Racer, Ace Combat or Katamari, maybe Soul Calibur or the like.
    Could Nintendo get some developer transfer from the 3DS to the WiiU?
    Or will the E3 and Nintendos own presentation change the game completely?

It took until the 3rd year before the 3ds really lifted off with a good amount of new games.
    Maybe we will see something similar with the WiiU next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It took until the 3rd year before the 3ds really lifted off with a good amount of new games. Maybe we will see something similar with the WiiU next year.

I really hope you're right. Mine's collecting dust at the moment :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It took until the 3rd year before the 3ds really lifted off with a good amount of new games.
    Maybe we will see something similar with the WiiU next year.

3ds had/has 3rd party support though.

Wii U owners will be treated to a handful of 1st party gems between now and the end of the cycle that's about it. Personally I'm fine with that. X looks interesting and Zelda is most likely on the way 2015. Mario Kart and Smash Bros will more than fill my Wii U time in between along with the few 3rd party games I never got round to on the 360.

On another note was playing through Ducktales earlier. Quite nostalgic. New graphics suit it too. Struck me as a nice fun indie title in today's terms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo will rope some third parties in to develop exclusives for it so its not going to be just nintendo. They did that with the n64 and GameCube by funding a lot of games for it from third parties. They're doing the same with platinum and atlus. I expect to see a few more at E3. It won't exactly be a shed load but it will be enough.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo will rope some third parties in to develop exclusives for it so its not going to be just nintendo. They did that with the n64 and GameCube by funding a lot of games for it from third parties. They're doing the same with platinum and atlus. I expect to see a few more at E3. It won't exactly be a shed load but it will be enough.

I hope your right. A few other third party games would be nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't worry to much about it. Everyone loves the n64 and that had way worse problems with waits for decent games, I remember waits of 6 to 9 months between big releases being common.

Sure it's not like there's any exclusives worth playing on the ps4 or Xbox one!

Thinking of getting a PS4 whenever games pick up on it myself. The ps4 wiiu combo seems to be the way to go this time. I'm in love with the Atelier games and Gust will be moving that series to the PS4 once they end the Dusk trilogy more than likely.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't worry to much about it. Everyone loves the n64 and that had way worse problems with waits for decent games, I remember waits of 6 to 9 months between big releases being common.

Sure it's not like there's any exclusives worth playing on the ps4 or Xbox one!

Thinking of getting a PS4 whenever games pick up on it myself. The ps4 wiiu combo seems to be the way to go this time. I'm in love with the Atelier games and Gust will be moving that series to the PS4 once they end the Dusk trilogy more than likely.

Tbh its no big deal for me personally with the waits. Sure i still need to play windwaker, wonderful101 and pikmin. Time is my issue not games.

Looks likely I'll be doing the same with a PS4 purchase at some point. I'm mostly playing wii u and vita at the moment with the odd 360 game. Suits my situation currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I felt both the Wii U and 3DS were a little complacent and too close to the original winning formulas. That's what is bringing them down, most consumers weren't even sure if the Wii U was a new console or just an upgrade! Same goes for the 3DS/2DS naming issues. I think they need to focus on the 3DS and a new console.

I don't think Nintendo are necessarily not trying with the two offerings, quite the contrary, but the failing was in that they were too close to the iterations before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I felt both the Wii U and 3DS were a little complacent and too close to the original winning formulas. That's what is bringing them down, most consumers weren't even sure if the Wii U was a new console or just an upgrade! Same goes for the 3DS/2DS naming issues. I think they need to focus on the 3DS and a new console.

I don't think Nintendo are necessarily not trying with the two offerings, quite the contrary, but the failing was in that they were too close to the iterations before them.

The 3DS has topped over 40 million sales in its 3 years on the market. I don't think it qualifies as a failure under any definition.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The 3DS has topped over 40 million sales in its 3 years on the market. I don't think it qualifies as a failure under any definition.
    Oh, I didn't say it was a failure though. I just think they were a little cheeky to assume that the same format would automatically be successful. The 3DS is a bit of a step back in some senses, considering they've always been on top when it comes to handheld gaming. Battery life in particular is poor. I was hoping for something a little more progressive from them.

Super Smash Bros will give Nintendo the Wii U sales targets they want when it launches (probably releasing alongside a good bundle deal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

cloud493 wrote: »

Euro Wii U boxes are weird...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think they would have been foolish not to include the winning design formula of the DS into the 3DS, had they released a Vita type device I think there would gave been disappointment among many.
    It odd though, you're the first person I heard suggest that this was a bad move of Nintendo.
    On the contrary, I think it has paid off handsomely.
    The 3DS is the gaming success story of the past 4 years.
    Sony and MS dream of the kind of sales the DS gets. It's just a pity the WiiU seema incapable of being loved by the people beyond those who already appreciate Nintendo hardware.
    I can't see it picking up now, but then I can see the XB1 being in trouble, potentially, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

COYVB wrote: »
    Euro Wii U boxes are weird...

YOU'RE WEIRD D:<

Just doing my bit to help...

I think they would have been foolish not to include the winning design formula of the DS into the 3DS, had they released a Vita type device I think there would gave been disappointment among many.
    It odd though, you're the first person I heard suggest that this was a bad move of Nintendo.
    Sure, I'll give you that. To a degree yeah, it should pass on a winning formula. I just found it didn't really add anything new though. Every new handheld Nintendo released felt like an evolution and a real step forward, but the 3DS felt kind of samey. The 3D came and went as a bit of a gimmick rather than a feature (and Nintendo releasing the 2DS proves this to an extent) and the whole Circle Pad thing was a bit of a disaster and a terrible oversight not to just have a second nub. It just never struck me as a must have handheld, but neither has the Vita. Both are rather poor in terms of handheld consoles considering the dreadful battery life (2-4 hours on both handhelds is just...shocking, truly awful), but then again, handhelds have been in real trouble since the advent of smartphones/tablets as gaming devices, I can understand the need to try push graphical power over portability. Maybe it was the gaming success story of the past 4 years, that kind of makes me worried though for some reason!

Of course, not being a fan of the 3DS you could argue I'm just a little biased against it anyway! Think the original DS will always rule high above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Just doing my bit to help...

That looks like a fire hazard!

Fnz wrote: »
    That looks like a fire hazard!

I hardly think so.. Maybe if I stack all my consoles together and have them on simultaneously... Then again that's just a definite electric bill hazard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sony and MS dream of the kind of sales the DS gets. It's just a pity the WiiU seema incapable of being loved by the people beyond those who already appreciate Nintendo hardware.
    I can't see it picking up now, but then I can see the XB1 being in trouble, potentially, as well.

WiiU and Xbox One have not been helping their cause by trying to restrict and overly control the user experience. It doesn't seem to be something people want in a home console, particularly since these days a console can be so much more than a game box and users like options in how they consume media.

briany wrote: »
    WiiU and Xbox One have not been helping their cause by trying to restrict and overly control the user experience. It doesn't seem to be something people want in a home console, particularly since these days a console can be so much more than a game box and users like options in how they consume media.

Do you have either console? You might need to check it because there's no restrictions for me on either apart from region locking on wii u

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I felt both the Wii U and 3DS were a little complacent and too close to the original winning formulas. That's what is bringing them down, most consumers weren't even sure if the Wii U was a new console or just an upgrade!

This is true, there is horrible consumer awareness for the Wii U. I have a friend who I consider to be pretty much the Platonic model of an average consumer with a casual knowledge of technology and hardware. I was having a discussion about the PS4 and Xbox One with him and brought up the Wii U as a competitor and he genuinely had never heard of it. I know it's just an anecdote but if this is broadly true then Nintendo have done a bad job marketing considering it's been out for a year and a half now.

I think the fact that it took the same name as the previous console didn't help. Even calling it the Wii 2 would have made it clearer what it was. I think to most people, the "Wii U" sounds similar to "PS3 Slim" and that it's just a console for playing their long-forgotten Wii games on. I think the Wii started gaining a bit of a bad reputation as being sort of an outdated and gimmicky console and Nintendo shouldn't have tried to keep the branding going forward.

When I play my 3DS I don't miss a second analogue stick at all. I just don't find playing traditional games that would use it compelling on a handheld.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

C14N wrote: »
    This is true, there is horrible consumer awareness for the Wii U. I have a friend who I consider to be pretty much the Platonic model of an average consumer with a casual knowledge of technology and hardware. I was having a discussion about the PS4 and Xbox One with him and brought up the Wii U as a competitor and he genuinely had never heard of it. I know it's just an anecdote but if this is broadly true then Nintendo have done a bad job marketing considering it's been out for a year and a half now.

I think the fact that it took the same name as the previous console didn't help. Even calling it the Wii 2 would have made it clearer what it was. I think to most people, the "Wii U" sounds similar to "PS3 Slim" and that it's just a console for playing their long-forgotten Wii games on. I think the Wii started gaining a bit of a bad reputation as being sort of an outdated and gimmicky console and Nintendo shouldn't have tried to keep the branding going forward.
    Watching one of the Game theory videos (below) a lot of the missing buzz basically came down to Nintendo's policy on Youtube (i.e. nothing is allowed) which in turn stopped the word spreading from early adopters and I think it's a fair point.

Youtube is a great way to get a buzz going but if your company refuses any and all videos and aggressively remove them while refusing to advertise...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Resident Evil Revelations is the only game I have that needs the CPP, and even at that, you can play without it. (Especially given that the CPP XL isn't easy to come by.)

MGS3D is a lot easier with it too

It just strikes me as strange that they would include it as an ugly add on rather than just have it there to use! That's such a 90's thing to do, lol.

http://www.wiitalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/3ds-circle-pad-pro-2.jpg

It's a bit excessive looking, not to mention it needs it's own battery supply!? Oh Nintendo!

If Bad News Barrett been at Nintendo headquarters last week, he might have banged his gavel before using his trademark catchphrase, “I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news!” Nintendo announced last Friday, May 2 that the company is forecasting a net loss for this year due to the poor sales of the Wii U console. The gaming company announced that they expect a loss of 25 billion yen ($240 million) for the year, through March 2014. This was a reversal of their previous forecast of a 55 billion yen profit forecast, with an expected annual revenue drop of about 36 percent.

Wii u is in trouble... The fact Nintendo won't work with 3rd party devs is a big reason for the trouble.. They burnt every bridge they had with popular developers because they didn't want to put the cash out..

• Advertisement

MGS3D is a lot easier with it too

MGS3D is awkward for me.. The use of two sticks as well as 4 shoulder buttons for a long time to 2 shoulder buttons and one stick made it a difficult transition.. Which is unfortunate because I like playing it on the train and stuff.. But alas

Advertisement