Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Eh, didn't Sony announce they have lost even more money last Friday, even though they are selling loads more PS4's? Xbone isnt selling too well either so I've heard.

So... all 3 home consoles are kinda fcuked in some way shape or form this 'Gen' in my eyes. Phones and 3DS are what people want in the West too, it seems.

Can't wait for MK8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Eh, didn't Sony announce they have lost even more money last Friday, even though they are selling loads more PS4's? Xbone isnt selling too well either so I've heard.

So... all 3 home consoles are kinda fcuked in some way shape or form this 'Gen' in my eyes. Phones and 3DS are what people want in the West too, it seems.

Can't wait for MK8 :)

My sitting room disagrees with that.. They're both selling fine.. And I can assure you neither are in anyway ****ed.. It's a slow time of the year a lot of companies complain sales are slim, they'll pick up again at Christmas.. I have all the consoles and iPhone and 3DS... I DO WHAT I WAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Wii u is in trouble... The fact Nintendo won't work with 3rd party devs is a big reason for the trouble.. They burnt every bridge they had with popular developers because they didn't want to put the cash out..

It's strangely reminiscent of NES era Nintendo... Exercising too much control over their product, it doesn't work.

My sitting room disagrees with that.. They're both selling fine.. And I can assure you neither are in anyway ****ed.. It's a slow time of the year a lot of companies complain sales are slim, they'll pick up again at Christmas.. I have all the consoles and iPhone and 3DS... I DO WHAT I WAN

Oh yeah like the ps4 and xbone are selling well over all, but over all for Sony, all departments (tv, film, music etc) in the company are losing money except for the PS department... thats not good. And doesnt Microsoft make pretty much nothing from sales in the Xbox department still, but MS have so much money it doesnt matter to them.

Dont get me wrong, I have a PS3 Vita 3DS Wii U, Wii & PS2, love them all. Will get a PS4 when I see some games that I want.

Just saying, I can see things going like Japan in the next few years, handhelds selling and Home consoles only seeling to us, not the casuals, like in the boom times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I thought the Xbox One was selling miserably? No?

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »

Yup, thats what I've heard since January too, but I think its selling a small bit better than the Wii U, thats for sure, sadly. They wont even give numbers of how many have sold in the past two months, where as Sony couldn't wait to say how many ps4's have sold up to March this year, Nintendo gave their numbers slowly but still gave a general idea of how bad the sales are as they included Wii sales in there too :(, but Microsoft on the Xbox One, nothing, and if they have I haven't seen anything offically concrete from them on any of the major gaming sites that report numbers on sales all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Did somebody slag the 3DS when its easily the best console around right now :confused:

No.. It's falling behind PS4

Oh yeah like the ps4 and xbone are selling well over all, but over all for Sony, all departments (tv, film, music etc) in the company are losing money except for the PS department... thats not good. And doesnt Microsoft make pretty much nothing from sales in the Xbox department still, but MS have so much money it doesnt matter to them.

Dont get me wrong, I have a PS3 Vita 3DS Wii U, Wii & PS2, love them all. Will get a PS4 when I see some games that I want.

Just saying, I can see things going like Japan in the next few years, handhelds selling and Home consoles only seeling to us, not the casuals, like in the boom times :D

That's why the sold the rights to vaio.. They can't keep up.. People are buying the more affordable TVs and things now

cloud493 wrote: »
    Did somebody slag the 3DS when its easily the best console around right now :confused:

He crazy! 3DS is my most used system in 3 years!

• Advertisement

That's why the sold the rights to vaio.. They can't keep up.. People are buying the more affordable TVs and things now

Exactly, and also they sold their Sony HQ building in New York just before Christmas last year. Sony now rent that building from the new owner (whoever that is) as their HQ's but in a year and a half, Xmas 2016, they leave that building and a lot of people will lose their jobs sadly.

But anyway, completely OT, I want the Wii U to show up trumps this E3 people!
    I want new Zelda, new Star Fox, new Metroid, and most of all, new franchises! I wonder what Miyamoto's new game is? Bet its something to do with painting a house :rolleyes:

I wonder if we will see a new Mario for the 3DS, like 3D Land will be 2 years old in Nov(?), I'd say they have a sequel to that Mario nearly finished. oh, oh! Or Super Mario Sunshine remade for the 3DS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/17/5626130/xbox-one-sales-5-million
    Microsoft says it has sold more than 5 million Xbox One consoles to retailers since launch, according to an update from Yusuf Mehdi, Xbox corporate vice president of marketing, strategy and business.
    an announcement from chief competitor Sony, who says it has sold more than 7 million PlayStation 4 consoles since launching in November 2013.
    A key distinction between the two sales numbers is that PS4 sales are reported as sold-through, or purchased by consumers, while Xbox One sales are reported as sold-in, or sold to retailers.

So, Sony are counting the amount of PS4's that are inside people's homes. Whereas Microsoft seem to be counting the amount of Xbox One's that are/have been on Retailers shelves?

That's a bit misleading to say the least..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not really considering it's impossible to count the amount of systems sold to customers. Sony had supply issues so made an estimate of sold to retailer = sold to customers.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/17/5626130/xbox-one-sales-5-million

So, Sony are counting the amount of PS4's that are inside people's homes. Whereas Microsoft seem to be counting the amount of Xbox One's that are/have been on Retailers shelves?

Yup, that is what happened a few weeks back.

So Microsoft wont say how many Xbones are in peoples homes, but Sony will jump at the chance to say how many are in peoples homes because it is selling well, so there are no real figures for how many Xbones have sold in total to actual people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd love to see an updated Super Mario collection on the 3DS, with a 3D version of both Mario 64 and Sunshine.
    But if they brought the Metroid Prime trilogy to the handheld I think I'd have to change the underpants.
    The little machine has the power to render any and all the output of the Gamecube and probably the Wii, so Resident Evil 4 3D anyone?
    Many might say it's old and everyone has played it but I doubt it and it's amazing stuff.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'd love to see an updated Super Mario collection on the 3DS, with a 3D version of both Mario 64 and Sunshine.
    But if they brought the Metroid Prime trilogy to the handheld I think I'd have to change the underpants.
    The little machine has the power to render any and all the output of the Gamecube and probably the Wii, so Resident Evil 4 3D anyone?
    Many might say it's old and everyone has played it but I doubt it and it's amazing stuff.

I want all of that!!!!

I did send capcom an email last year asking if RE4 would ever turn up on the 3DS since revelations was amazing, and its one of my fav games. I was asking if it would ever come to the 3DS with Rev's controls... Heres what I got in reply
    Dear RLG,
    Thank you for contacting us at Capcom Technical Support! We are here to help if there might be a technical difficulty that stops the installation or launch of a Capcom game as they are just now.

We tend not to have input into which games may at some point make it to 3DS though we will certainly forward your request to our main office and the development teams! We would advise that you please keep checking regularly for news on all our games at www.capcom-unity.com. We can't guarantee that the 3DS will have Resident Evil 4 with the RE Revelations control sets, however if this does come about, we'll be advising everyone on the site!

Its not much, but would love RE4 on the 3DS along with the Metroid Trilogy too.

Is the 3DS close to the power of the Wii?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I bought a PS4 before christmas, love it, but thinking of a second console and I can't think of a better console than the Wii U, a few great 1st party titles that i really want to play, it was Mario Kart that has pushed me over the edge. One game I would love to see remade would be a Wii U version of Starfox, also another F-Zero would be sweet as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is the 3DS close to the power of the Wii?

It's nowhere near the power of the Wii. It's closer to the PS2 really which means it's no where near close to even the Gamecube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's nowhere near the power of the Wii. It's closer to the PS2 really which means it's no where near close to even the Gamecube.

But it doesn't need the processing horses of the GC or Wii because the resolution is such lower, surely?
    Looking Luigis Mansion 2 and MGS3D as examples.

Hmm, FZero on 3DS and WiiU, lovely jubbly

Luigi's Mansion 2 looks good but its not a patch on the Gamecube original and MGS3 has some compromises to get it working and has framerate issues. It's having trouble getting a PS2 game to work, it will have even more trouble getting a GC game to work considering it's a significantly more powerful system.

Now we might see some GC conversions to the system yet but they will be downgraded from the GC originals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus, i actually had a little shiver of excitment when i read that!!

(However, I'd prefer a hd Mario Sunshine to a 3d one).

But really, I'd just love for something new to grab my imagination. Hasn't happened in a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Nody wrote: »
    Watching one of the Game theory videos (below) a lot of the missing buzz basically came down to Nintendo's policy on Youtube (i.e. nothing is allowed) which in turn stopped the word spreading from early adopters and I think it's a fair point.

That could be part of the issue but I don't really know how strict Nintendo are being about it. I watch Game Grumps and they do tons of Nintendo stuff (still zero XBO and PS4 stuff) without any problems. The thing is that that is a channel that almost never plays current and trendy games whereas all of the really big channels do so to maximise views. I think it might just be a catch 22 situation where the channels don't think the Wii U is that popular so they don't bother playing it which in turn stifles buzz around the Wii U.

Sony is a huge conglomerate and their gaming division only makes up a small part of it. Overall company losses don't reflect the success of the PS4 much at all. The PS4 and Xbox One are both doing well, thinking that the entire market is "fcuked" in favour of phones and handhelds after 6 months is ignorant at best.

Nope, not at all. Xbox One is selling a little under the 3DS but that's by no means bad, never mind "miserable", it's doing much better than the 360 was at the same time, which only shifted around 1 million the year it was launched. In fact, both the PS4 and the XBO had better holiday-season starts than any of the consoles from the last generation.

Not really. Unless there's some sort of horrendous mis-estimation of demand (which would be newsworthy itself, as seen with the HP Touchpads a few years back), the number shipped is generally a good indication of sales. They aren't just going to keep sending out more units every week if nobody is buying them.

I simply love the tactile diorama nature of most original 3DS software, like you can reach into the scene.
    Pity Puppeteer was a PS3 exclusive.
    Oh, off topic, but that is now free to PSN+ subscribers and well worth your time downloading it.

C14N wrote: »
    Not really. Unless there's some sort of horrendous mis-estimation of demand (which would be newsworthy itself, as seen with the HP Touchpads a few years back), the number shipped is generally a good indication of sales. They aren't just going to keep sending out more units every week if nobody is buying them.

There was a big kerfuffle about it at the launch of the PS3. Sony were releasing only sold to retailer figures for the PS3 for a year when they were clogging up warehouses and stores since nobody would buy one. I'd say its first year was about aas miserable as the WiiU's. Sony tried to cover things up by issuing a statement saying if people look for a PS3 in a store they won't find one. Cue the internet showing pictures of shope storage clogged with PS3 consoles. It's a good indication of how well the PS4 is doing that Sony isn't pulling its usual tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My 3DS is preventing me from buying a Wii U as weird as that sounds. I see something that would interest me on the U but then notice a near equivalent on the 3DS.

To those with both, can they successfully co-exist without stepping on each other?

Mine is doing a pretty good job of it. Both mario games are far better on the WiiU than the 3DS equivalents and there's stuff like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 that just aren't on 3DS.

There was a big kerfuffle about it at the launch of the PS3. Sony were releasing only sold to retailer figures for the PS3 for a year when they were clogging up warehouses and stores since nobody would buy one. I'd say its first year was about aas miserable as the WiiU's. Sony tried to cover things up by issuing a statement saying if people look for a PS3 in a store they won't find one. Cue the internet showing pictures of shope storage clogged with PS3 consoles. It's a good indication of how well the PS4 is doing that Sony isn't pulling its usual tricks.

It is true that there is a lot more room for error around launches and such because it's much harder to gauge demand for a brand new product. I could imagine that Sony overestimated their own demand with the PS3 and sent out too many units at launch and there could have been tons of retailers with excess PS3 stock in the months that followed but those inaccuracies level out over time. I would imagine that they saw an initial "sales" spike for the Christmas release and then the downside would have been incredibly low reported sales for the following few months as retailers worked their way through the built up stock. It is the case though that if consumers aren't buying then the shops have no reason to order more and no twisting of figures will get around that.

C14N wrote: »
    It is true that there is a lot more room for error around launches and such because it's much harder to gauge demand for a brand new product. I could imagine that Sony overestimated their own demand with the PS3 and sent out too many units at launch and there could have been tons of retailers with excess PS3 stock in the months that followed but those inaccuracies level out over time. I would imagine that they saw an initial "sales" spike for the Christmas release and then the downside would have been incredibly low reported sales for the following few months as retailers worked their way through the built up stock. It is the case though that if consumers aren't buying then the shops have no reason to order more and no twisting of figures will get around that.

I don't think you remember how bad Sony had it at launch, they really screwed up the launch of the PS3 and were on damage control. It took a while and lots of price cuts before the PS3 got some sales momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I simply love the tactile diorama nature of most original 3DS software, like you can reach into the scene.
    Pity Puppeteer was a PS3 exclusive.
    Oh, off topic, but that is now free to PSN+ subscribers and well worth your time downloading it.

I'm playing through it at the moment. I am enjoying it but there are a couple of things that I dislike. The length of some of the levels is way too long and the amount of cutscenes is ridiculous. I've actually taken to skipping most of them now.

I'd love to see this game on a 3D TV.

• Advertisement

I don't think you remember how bad Sony had it at launch, they really screwed up the launch of the PS3 and were on damage control. It took a while and lots of price cuts before the PS3 got some sales momentum.

No I remember alright, I was gleeful at the time as a then-Nintendo fanboy. Back in 2006 (for US and Japanese launches at least, I'm sure delaying to spring for European launch hurt them bad too) very few people wanted to pay $600 for a console with almost no games that wouldn't even look that much better than their old consoles on their almost entirely SD TVs and the speculative Blu Ray format with only a handful of overpriced movies wasn't doing much to sway them.

I'm just saying that after about a year or so the shipped figures would start lining up with the actual sales for any product. I can't imagine retailers holding on to massive 12 month backlogs of consoles instead of sending them back unless people were gradually buying them.

Advertisement