Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

ionapaul wrote: »
    There's zero chance I'll buy any Nintendo figure, and if Nintendo try to crow-bar owning them into unlocking extra content in their games or experiencing the best the Wii U has to offer I'll probably drop the console sooner rather than later. The whole 'cutesy' aspect of the Nintendo world is definitely the least appealing aspect to me, it smacks of being too Japan-centric and isn't something that a whole lot of people in this part of the world can get behind I would have thought.

Hmm, I would think since this is Nintendo they will use the figure's differently to activision or disney with unlocked content already on disc. I would think they will release a full MMO with the main Mario Link DK on disc, but to get the extra DLC if you will, you buy the figures instead of buying the DLC from the eshop. But I would hope they charge no more than €4 or €5 for figure.

Kind of a crap idea in hindsight, cant see myself getting the figure's as I broke my balls getting all the happy meal firgure, I'd done.

Didn't Iwata say a few months back that they were going to give their main franchise characters to outside dev's to create different types of games and toys and it started with the happy meal toys (not the first time, I know), maybe this is part of that plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Daith

Hmm, I would think since this is Nintendo they will use the figure's differently to activision or disney with unlocked content already on disc. I would think they will release a full MMO with the main Mario Link DK on disc, but to get the extra DLC if you will, you buy the figures instead of buying the DLC from the eshop. But I would hope they charge no more than €4 or €5 for figure.

This is Nintendo. It'll be €10 or more than a €5 at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I think a lot of people are jumping the gun a bit too early. Nintendo haven't really released much info about them. But everyone seems to be very pessimistic already.
    What is especially unique about NFP is that it is not classed as an accessory product of a certain software title but as a platform itself.
    LINK

I think it sounds quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Given that Infinity 2.0 is about to launch with the entire Marvel universe as the colour nailed to it's mast, this is not a good time to enter into the NFC-figurine-driven game arena.

Farming the game itself out to a 3rd party could be a disaster - who wants to play a more expensive Mario game that doesn't have the love and polish of Sunshine, Galaxy or 3DWorld? HAving said that, wasn't Pokemon Rumble U in-house? And that was absolute pants. *edit : looks like a 2nd party job*

In it's favour though, it allows Ninty to push more of their sporadic focus onto the eShop as a distribution platform - the game is cheap / free (I'm thinking they'll do a Streetpass and make an initial game or two that's free, with more options available) and not dependent on the dwindling bricks n mortar options.

Allyall wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are jumping the gun a bit too early. Nintendo haven't really released much info about them. But everyone seems to be very pessimistic already.

Is it too much to ask for just games on the system? Figures are just paid DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If it comes to needing these to unlock characters in games, wouldn't it simply be possible to do something with custom NFC chips or the NFC capabilities of a phone to mimic this?

Daith wrote: »
    Is it too much to ask for just games on the system? Figures are just paid DLC.

obviously everyone wants games, but NFP may add a whole new dynamic to the games. I just think it's a bit early to be slamming it.

Amongst others, these games are still to come :)
    • Mario Kart 8 5/30/2014
    • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Winter 2014
    • BAYONETTA 2 2014
    • A brand new title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. 2014
    • Hyrule Warriors (temp.) 2014
    • Yarn Yoshi (temp.) TBD
    • SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI X FIRE EMBLEM (temp.) TBD
    • The Legend of Zelda (temp.) TBD
    And 3rd Party games that were just released in April.

• The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Activision
    • One Piece Unlimited World Red BANDAI NAMCO GAMES EUROPE
    • Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails Dakko Dakko
    • Armillo Fuzzy Wuzzy Games
    • Ittle Dew Ludosity AB
    • Wooden Sen'SeY Neko
    • Cubemen 2 Nnooo
    • Teslagrad Rain AS

Also plenty of other games to look forward to, Project Cars, Watch Dogs and many more, I know it's not as many as other platforms, but there should be enough to keep many going.

obviously everyone wants games, but NFP may add a whole new dynamic to the games. I just think it's a bit early to be slamming it.

New dynamic? It basically boils down to

Buy game
    Buy figurine to access part of the game that you should already have access to.

Nintendo might be able to do something with it but I do have a lack of faith in their new direction of games and peripherals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mario 3D World as well is easy until you get to the post game content when it seriously ramps up the difficulty. That game just kept of giving!

if spent more time giving out about the later stages of 3d world than dark souls 2 so far:pac:

Buy game

Nintendo might be able to do something with it but I do have a lack of faith in their new direction of games and peripherals.

But that is what Nintendo are saying it doesn't boil down to.

They are saying that it's a new platform (As a better way of describing it). Not an accessory for a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

A new platform, that works on the existing platforms, using software on those platforms, to enable the new platform...

The 'new platform' spin doesn't really cut it with me so far, but I could yet stand to be surprised by what they're planning, I guess.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They are saying that it's a new platform (As a better way of describing it). Not an accessory for a game.

That's exactly what I'd say too if I was desperately trying to turn my company's fortunes around and the best I could come up with was a variation on Skylanders. :p Are "collectibles" a thing in Japan in general or is it limited to more nerdy folks like us as it is in Europe and the US too?

A new platform, that works on the existing platforms, using software on those platforms, to enable the new platform...

The 'new platform' spin doesn't really cut it with me so far, but I could yet stand to be surprised by what they're planning, I guess.

That's what I'm saying too. (Or trying to).

It doesn't look that impressive, and I'm not entirely sure what skylanders does, but they seem to have distanced themselves from that, and seem to be implying it's a whole new concept.
    I'm hoping it will be pretty good, as I'm sure are nintendo.

I can't see them releasing a skylanders/disney infinte clone to help ailing sales..

I'm sure all will be revealed, and the potential nintendo see in this thing explained, in June.

Shiminay wrote: »
    That's exactly what I'd say too if I was desperately trying to turn my company's fortunes around and the best I could come up with was a variation on Skylanders. :pAre "collectibles" a thing in Japan in general or is it limited to more nerdy folks like us as it is in Europe and the US too?

Eek.. :D

Japanese LOVE their collectibles... (Satellite TV Documentary a year or two ago.. :))

I think (not 100%) BANDAI are the big makers of collectible stuff over there. Cartoon and Gaming characters mostly.

EDIT. I know you probably didn't mean it, nor expect an answer, but I got curious myself.. :o

Bandai USA example list

Although I can't find any Japanese sites immediately, I'd say they have a list twice that..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I watched a video of Scram Kitty the other day, it looks great.

Buy game

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with this one. I'll wait and see what their plans for it are before I give an opinion. What gives me hope that these figures is Rusty's Real Deal Baseball which I've heard is a fantastic take on the F2P model. Some say it's the best example of the F2P model out there. I'm hoping nintendo do something like that were it doesn't feel like a cynical money grab like other companies do.

I'll remain skeptical but will admit I'm wrong if they do something unique or interesting.

I'll remain skeptical but will admit I'm wrong if they do something unique or interesting.

I have my doubts too, but I'm leaning optimistic :)
    I really would love to see Nintendo pull this one out of the fire.. :D (Assuming worst case, that they are in a fire... :o)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiminay wrote: »
    That's exactly what I'd say too if I was desperately trying to turn my company's fortunes around and the best I could come up with was a variation on Skylanders. :p Are "collectibles" a thing in Japan in general or is it limited to more nerdy folks like us as it is in Europe and the US too?

You're being too cynical about this. This isn't the 'best' that nintendo could come up with. It's just a small part of a larger plan for Nintendo to try and turn things around. We'll see more at E3 and in June. Sure not all those plans will work but I don't see how this initiative won't bring about some revenue for them. Nintendo characters have universal appeal and are hugely popular at the moment after the success of the Wii, DS and 3DS. They're farming them out for merchandising as well now which will increase awareness. I don't see how jumping on the Skylanders bandwagon considering they are sitting on ip and characters which such wide and universal appeal will hurt them. As long as it's not handled in a cynical manner then I don't see what the problem is expecially when this isn't the 'best' that Nintendo has come up with.

The QoL project is the big thing, I can see them targeting the health/fitness market with it and it not being a traditional gaming platform. Opening up a brand new market will be the big thing for Nintendo, it worked with the Wii. That's probably going to be nintendo's biggest play.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Amongst others, these games are still to come :)
    • Mario Kart 8 5/30/2014
    • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Winter 2014
    • BAYONETTA 2 2014
    • A brand new title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. 2014
    • Hyrule Warriors (temp.) 2014
    • Yarn Yoshi (temp.) TBD
    • SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI X FIRE EMBLEM (temp.) TBD
    • The Legend of Zelda (temp.) TBD

I like how Legend of Zelda, Yarn Yoshi, etc. have "temp" beside them to, I assum, indicate a temporary title. Yet "A brand new title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC." doesn't have "temp". So final title confirmed? :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The QoL project is the big thing, I can see them targeting the health/fitness market with it and it not being a traditional gaming platform. Opening up a brand new market will be the big thing for Nintendo, it worked with the Wii. That's probably going to be nintendo's biggest play.

It's a brand new market sure but it's not games. It's a lifestyle thing.

I remember people saying that at least the Wii U was pure games machine. Now it's a figurine collecting, heart rate monitor. Well not yet :P

If Nintendo want to target that market fine but it does seem like an admission that their hardware and games are not enough to compete in the console market.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I like how Legend of Zelda, Yarn Yoshi, etc. have "temp" beside them to, I assum, indicate a temporary title. Yet "A brand new title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC." doesn't have "temp". So final title confirmed? :)

I think it's 'X' - Zelda- Link :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Deano7788 wrote: »
    DKCR unchallenging? Have you actually played it?

Sorry, bad phrasing. I didn't mean that game was too easy, I meant it's unchallenging to make. There's no brand new ideas being brought out here and they can clearly make these games relatively cheaply and quickly and in terms of gameplay and scope, it's the kind of thing you could have made on the SNES.

C14N wrote: »
    Sorry, bad phrasing. I didn't mean that game was too easy, I meant it's unchallenging to make. There's no brand new ideas being brought out here and they can clearly make these games relatively cheaply and quickly and in terms of gameplay and scope, it's the kind of thing you could have made on the SNES.

I wouldn't say that about DKCR or Tropical Freeze. Both are stunning looking games and they had quite a big budget. Certainly not the same size as a triple A game but definitely quite large.

As for them being games that could be done on the SNES I have to disagree as well. Their use of technology is subtle but there's plenty there that a 16 or even 32 bit machine would struggle to cope with. Saying there's no brand new ideas is selling them short as well, particularly NSMB U. Every level has new ideas and takes on 2D platforming conventions. There's also a level of polish there that no other platform game at the moment can match, I include DKCR there as well, every level has a flow that must have taken days of tweaking and testing. They may not have massive budgets but they definitely weren't unchallenging games to make.

I think Nintendo's tech engineers really don't get the credit they deserve. Super Mario 3D World was probably the best looking game of last year and yet it still ran at an absolutely rock sold 60Hz refresh rate. I have to admire Nintendos stance on 60Hz gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Their wording of it is a bit off. Essentially it's both a platform and an accessory. They're not calling it an accessory because that would make it seem like it's a thing you buy for a single game or single system. This is neither. It'll be a docking surface for your figurines that'll be able to communicate with the Wii U and 3DS (and the next couple of actual platforms they release - I'm sticking firm with my HDS speculation on that front), with features that'll be available across multiple games (theoretically).

For example, my understanding of it is that you buy a gold luigi figurine, which will be compatible with, let's say, mario kart 8, mario golf, and nintendoverse (a theoretical disney infinity type game built for this new idea). Sitting that character on the platform while playing any of those games will make him available in whatever capacity nintendo decides. The most obvious is he becomes a playable character.

But those 3 titles aren't all the character can be compatible with. They could release Super Mario Universe in 18 months (which they will), and have your gold luigi character communicating with the game to do... something.

The issue that most people are having is that, so far, the whole skylanders and infinity thing hasn't actually been that creative. Sure, they've tacked on physical characters, but they're just sending code to the game to turn certain things on. We all know Nintendo is very, very creative when it comes to new ideas, though.

I have no idea the ultimate scope of this, but if anyone's going to do something ludicrously clever with this concept it'll be nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sounds like the last sting of a dying wasp to be honest.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Sounds like the last sting of a dying wasp to be honest.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Mario Kart and Smash bros at the end of this year is make or break for the Wii U and by make I mean the console lasting till 2016.

Nintendo Financials show that the 3DS sales have fallen off a cliff and the Wii U sales have not even met reduced targets.

MK8 should open with around 500k Worldwide but will that be existing Wii U owners buying it or will it start a wave of new owners.

Japan has about 108k pre orders for it with 20 days left and in North America it has 144k with 3 weeks of pre orders left. Not sure about the EU but there are twice as many Wii U's in NA so I would guess around 70k. So that's where my guess of 500k first week comes from.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/07/nintendo-financial-results-worse-than-expected-on-slumped-wii-u-sales.aspx

http://www.stuff.tv/3ds/nintendo-s-financial-report-shows-wii-u-problem-isn-t-getting-better/news

There's two links about their financial report. Not looking good considering the 3DS is only 3 years into it's cycle and the Wii U 18 months. Could be a very long next 3 years for Nintendo. They had money to burn during the Wii/DS days and like Sony with the PS3 and Microsoft since they released the OG Xbox they are doing a great job burning it.

If their next consoles flop I honestly see Nintendo becoming a software company and probably for mobile devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

"Some have speculated that Nintendo will follow the path of Sega and focus on making software for competitors’ consoles, but that seems unlikely. Despite its recent woes, Nintendo has a large supply of cash on hand and seems intent on doing its own thing for as long as it can.

Considering the lack of software support, it seems unlikely that the Wii U will be able to compete against the latest Sony and Microsoft hardware. When the Nintendo 3DS started slow, Nintendo quickly cut its price and started bouncing back. With no such move for the Wii U, it’s languished for months and major non-Nintendo games are mostly M.I.A.

But Nintendo’s been here before. Despite some beloved games, the GameCube was a misfire, but Nintendo rebounded by taking a huge risk on the original Wii. Attempting that move again with the Wii U hasn’t exactly worked out thus far, but if any company can find a new and exciting way to change home gaming for the better, it’s likely Nintendo. Don’t count them out over the long haul."

Andrew Hayward,
    Freelance Writer

Good analysis IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Mario Kart and Smash bros at the end of this year is make or break for the Wii U and by make I mean the console lasting till 2016.

Nintendo Financials show that the 3DS sales have fallen off a cliff and the Wii U sales have not even met reduced targets.

MK8 should open with around 500k Worldwide but will that be existing Wii U owners buying it or will it start a wave of new owners.

Japan has about 108k pre orders for it with 20 days left and in North America it has 144k with 3 weeks of pre orders left. Not sure about the EU but there are twice as many Wii U's in NA so I would guess around 70k. So that's where my guess of 500k first week comes from.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/07/nintendo-financial-results-worse-than-expected-on-slumped-wii-u-sales.aspx

http://www.stuff.tv/3ds/nintendo-s-financial-report-shows-wii-u-problem-isn-t-getting-better/news

There's two links about their financial report. Not looking good considering the 3DS is only 3 years into it's cycle and the Wii U 18 months. Could be a very long next 3 years for Nintendo. They had money to burn during the Wii/DS days and like Sony with the PS3 and Microsoft since they released the OG Xbox they are doing a great job burning it.

If their next consoles flop I honestly see Nintendo becoming a software company and probably for mobile devices.

Ironically two of the things they've stated that they will never do, certainly not primarily.

Nintendo aren't even making a loss on hardware anymore, as targets they have set actually require more units to be made. It's been bad for Nintendo, but talk of the 'end' of some things and dropping console making altogether are quite a long way away, if at all. Even with all the talk of money burning, they are still a financial powerhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

About the figures, it sounds like they're expanding on the criminally wasted Rumble U system, where you could spend points earned in-game to level up and alter your figures default stats and moves. Your Mario figure is uniquely configured to how you like to play your set of the future games - and I'm assuming they'll tie in with all the Mario sports titles, smash bros, pokemon, Nintendo land 2 etc etc. Maybe yours runs faster than your mates but his jumps higher. Yours kicks ass on the golf course or 5 a side but that makes his karting speed start hard to hit reliably. Yours wears traditional blue and red, his wears a golden banana suit from that DK preorder promo in 2015.And you bring them round each others houses and play local vs games with them

And if they follow the Rumble U example you won't need the figure to play, just to customise

It could work, if only we were more social and broadband hadn't been invented.

BTW to spoof the NFC reader you need to figure out the encryption. A guy managed it with Skylanders but his research disappeared awful fast when he got a mail from Spyros lawyer...

Advertisement