Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

COYVB wrote: »
    For example, my understanding of it is that you buy a gold luigi figurine, which will be compatible with, let's say, mario kart 8, mario golf, and nintendoverse (a theoretical disney infinity type game built for this new idea). Sitting that character on the platform while playing any of those games will make him available in whatever capacity nintendo decides. The most obvious is he becomes a playable character.
    My understanding is the same, but the Character learns and picks up traits from previous games.
    You "raise" (for lack of better explanation) each character and teach them by implementing them in each allowed game.
    By the time you get to "Super Mario Kart Anomaly Fighter 2019", You should have a Character (NFP) that will have some serious skills, and can start on a higher level.. (Eventually making the next of each gen games harder and harder to begin with?) :)
    I may be way off in the type of games, and what way the NFP 'learns', But that's my impression of the jist of it. That, and you can challenge people to random other/small games on the NF(c)P platform.
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    If their next consoles flop I honestly see Nintendo becoming a software company and probably for mobile devices.
    Trying not to sound repetitive, they are sitting on a lot of money, and have stated numerous times that they wouldn't do either of those.

I think that would be their worst move anyway. Releasing games to play on mobile devices.
    I think they can afford to weather a few "bad" ideas (I prefer minority welcomed :D), And with the next-next tech, they could blow everyone out of the water. I doubt they will continue to have mediocre-to-low selling consoles.

If they do continue to have poor sales, They could easily afford to release a console to match Microsoft and Sony, for one generation, just to make some money back.
    It's not as if either of them (Sony or Microsoft) are making any groundbreaking developments in the gaming industry.
    They just churn out newer versions with better graphics. I doubt nintendo will find that formula hard to copy.

You have to remember, Nintendo are choosing to take this path..

EDIT.
    Just saw your post beneath the quoted one, and it says somthing similar..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Nintendo Financials show that the 3DS sales have fallen off a cliff and the Wii U sales have not even met reduced targets.

3DS is sitting sitting at 43mill units sold and sold 13 mill units last year not exactly a cliff the Q4 sales are a nothing figure given that covers the post christmas period till march when sales are **** for consoles nearing saturation
    There's two links about their financial report. Not looking good considering the 3DS is only 3 years into it's cycle and the Wii U 18 months. Could be a very long next 3 years for Nintendo. They had money to burn during the Wii/DS days and like Sony with the PS3 and Microsoft since they released the OG Xbox they are doing a great job burning it.

If their next consoles flop I honestly see Nintendo becoming a software company and probably for mobile devices.

they have more than enough to sustain for 3 years and still make a profit all they have to do is keep the wii u crawling along and keeping up 3ds support as games sell by the ton on the thing

their loses this year are also exaggerated by the acquisitions they made in the past year

they'd sooner buy SCE than piss in the wind on mobile platforms and the funny thing is that they could do it quite easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Release Pokemon snap wii u = Nintendo will have enough money to use as bathroom paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Release Pokemon snap wii u = Nintendo will have enough money to use as bathroom paper

Well, you know this NFC platform...

That's going to be a pretty safe bet for a Pokemon game, and it'll be a license to print money.

Also something of note, but Nintendo have completely changed the focus of their marketing, the new target demographic will become very evident in the next few months. Not that difficult to work out after today's announcement anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

"Personally, I really love the Pokemon Snap game, but it wouldn't be interesting if we just released the same game, how it was before, for the Wii U or 3DS," Masuda told Polygon. "So we have to come up with a new idea or something that will make it more appealing to players. Sometime down the road, we may have something."

Won't make Pokemon snap remake... Makes ruby and sapphire remake... BASTARRRRDS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Edge just gave Mario Kart 8 a 9/10.
    They reckon it makes the brilliant Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS appear lifeless in comparison and that it is essential to WiiU owners as Super Mario 3D World.
    Right so, a good enough reason to dig deep come the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

MK8 should open with around 500k Worldwide but will that be existing Wii U owners buying it or will it start a wave of new owners?

The latter.

I don't have a Wii U. I'm getting one now and I know several other people doing the same. I may even walk in on the 30th and buy one from a brick and mortar. Sales are going to spike.

I want the new Mario world game and I want Mario Kart....and those clever Nintendoids are bundling a free game with every purchase of Mario Kart....so I can get Pikmin3 for free with it. I also plan to get the new Smash bros in October when it comes out.

It's taken a while but the inevitable has happened in that Nintendo finally has enough first party gems to justify buying the console. Third party support is still horrendous, it still has a stupid name, the tablet isn't as good as it should be and the console is still underpowered.....but it has great games and that's ultimately the important factor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can see mario kart and smash giving the wiiu a big sales boost. Just hope it's enough to sustain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That domain belongs to "Thorsten Haak", who is apparently developing games on the NintendoWebFramework. So not a Nintendo domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Also something of note, but Nintendo have completely changed the focus of their marketing, the new target demographic will become very evident in the next few months. Not that difficult to work out after today's announcement anyway

People that like to collect figurines? Teenage girls? ;)
    Banjo wrote: »
    And you bring them round each others houses and play local vs games with them

As if gamers didn't have a tough enough time justifying their hobby already - imagine being a young lad and having your non-gaming mates catch you bringing your Luigi 'doll' over to another friend's house to play? You'd need some pretty tough skin to live with the slagging :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ionapaul wrote: »
    As if gamers didn't have a tough enough time justifying their hobby already - imagine being a young lad and having your non-gaming mates catch you bringing your Luigi 'doll' over to another friend's house to play? You'd need some pretty tough skin to live with the slagging :D

Back in the 90's you would have been the coolest mother****er in town. Unless it was Sega fans you were going to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe just maybe the relative obscurity might work to its advantage, with the machine getting a fresh launch, nee price point, inclusion of a decent game and a couple of figurines and who knows.
    Seeing as Skylanders shifts for around 70/80 with no console you could, possibly sell a WiiU with Mario Universe figurines and a relevant game for 200, which would a stunning deal.
    Also, a WiiU Sports package, with a physical release of the Eshop only WiiU Sports game, could be very interesting, the golf game is pretty good and would make one wonder what EA could do with the Tiger Woods franchise in the WiiU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tbh, I think the figurines will further cement the perception a lot of people have of the WiiU being a console for children. Not sure it will matter to Nintendo because it'll probably make them a small fortune. Something fairly nerdy about figurine collecting imo and something that has zero appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Maybe just maybe the relative obscurity might work to its advantage, with the machine getting a fresh launch, nee price point, inclusion of a decent game and a couple of figurines and who knows.
    Seeing as Skylanders shifts for around 70/80 with no console you could, possibly sell a WiiU with Mario Universe figurines and a relevant game for 200, which would a stunning deal.
    Also, a WiiU Sports package, with a physical release of the Eshop only WiiU Sports game, could be very interesting, the golf game is pretty good and would make one wonder what EA could do with the Tiger Woods franchise in the WiiU.

I think the combination of approaches in the last while gives some cause for optimism and relaunch.

- Mario Kart 8 with a free premium quality game is a really good offer.
    - the NFC project sounds like they are taking a more holistic approach to their portfolio and may pull in more 3DSers and new users.
    - The Mario Universe suggestion also. Pokemon pack, Smash Bros, Zelda pack:D
    - the QoL project likewise has the potential to transition across their products.
    - the "quick boot" into controller mode, is also something which should figure in any relaunch.
    - and the continued filling in of the library of retro content.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It depends on the house. A mate shows up at my house with his pink NFC-enabled Luigi plushie and a sixpack, he's getting a manhug and 5 minutes to produce his pro controller. I imagine if it was an XBox house the reaction would be the same. And to be honest you're either young enough to get away with it or old enough not to give a ****! There's a very narrow window of your life during which the slagging would both you.

Dude, the first time your gamer girl shows up on your doorstep with her Daisy figure in one hand and her toothbrush in the other, you know you're gonna be grinning like the joker on E.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It depends on the house. A mate shows up at my house with his pink NFC-enabled Luigi plushie and a sixpack, he's getting a manhug and 5 minutes to produce his pro controller.

You and your euphemisms. :pac:

Dude, the first time your gamer girl shows up on your doorstep with her Daisy figure in one hand and her toothbrush in the other, you know you're gonna be grinning like the joker on E.

Don't know if the missus would take too kindly to it…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

To be honest, if a girl you play online games with shows up at your door and is actually a girl, you're living in that improbable universe where the missus will delighted. So it's all good.

To be honest, if a girl you play online games with shows up at your door and is actually a girl, you're living in that improbable universe where the missus will delighted. So it's all good.

In that parallel Universe it'll be all the fantasies come true.
    Two girls, Nintendo goodness..
    Throw a bag of cheese puffs and a couple of cans Linden Village and it's game on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

It depends on the house. A mate shows up at my house with his pink NFC-enabled Luigi plushie and a sixpack, he's getting a manhug and 5 minutes to produce his pro controller. I imagine if it was an XBox house the reaction would be the same. And to be honest you're either young enough to get away with it or old enough not to give a ****! There's a very narrow window of your life during which the slagging would both you.

LOL :D I'm definitely past 'old enough to not give a ****' and straight into 'grown men who own figurines are on the wrong side of creepy'! My friends in their late 30s/early 40s would still be plenty immature enough to slag the crap out of any one of us who would admit to owning a Nintendo figurine :) Agree that one shouldn't really care about it if you're really into the scene though. I desperately hope that Nintendo's plans won't have any adverse impact on those of us with no interest in the figures but who would like to continue to buy new Wii U games - if the future Wii U ecosystem is set up so you must own these figures to get the most out of the games, I feel like I'll be forced to dump the console :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In that parallel Universe it'll be all the fantasies come true.
    Two girls, Nintendo goodness..
    Throw a bag of cheese puffs and a couple of cans Linden Village and it's game on.
    :D:D
    KQbCkBM.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Daith

I desperately hope that Nintendo's plans won't have any adverse impact on those of us with no interest in the figures but who would like to continue to buy new Wii U games - if the future Wii U ecosystem is set up so you must own these figures to get the most out of the games, I feel like I'll be forced to dump the console :(

Don't worry it'll be another fad like that barcode reader they had for the Gameboy :P Me, cynical? :)

Allyall wrote: »
    KQbCkBM.jpg?1

I have my doubts about whether they completed plumbing apprenticeships although they can have a look at my stopcock anytime they want…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Allyall wrote: »
    KQbCkBM.jpg?1

2cfdf8597a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think next month is when I finally buy a Wii U. I'll wait until after E3 just to make sure there's no surprises up their sleeves in terms of price cuts. The Mario Kart free game deal will still be running and I can grab Wind Waker too then. Almost resent having to buy a console just to play Nintendo games because that's all I'm ever going to do on it, and I can see the point of those who want the Wii U to fail and for Nintendo to go developer only but dammit that Mario Kart looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I wouldn't be interested in the whole sky landers thing but I went through about 30 kinder eggs just to get a set of the marvel figures so.... Might this nintendo thing get me? Hmmmm probably :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

One of my gta 5 psn friends asked to add me on fb and to my delight it turned out to be a super hot aussie haha. My gf always asks who's that when i'm scrolling through my fb feed :D

• Advertisement

One of my gta 5 psn friends asked to add me on fb and to my delight it turned out to be a super hot aussie haha. My gf always asks who's that when i'm scrolling through my fb feed :D

I'm a super hot female Aussie on facebook.

Advertisement