Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It wasn't a console, it was an add-on for the SNES. And those are the terms that Nintendo initially agreed to. The issue wasn't even really that they dissolved the partnership, it's that they went behind Sony's back and signed a secret deal with their main competitor, Philips, and only revealed it after Sony announced the CD add-on and had made ~200 prototypes. This more or less forced Sony into the console game as they decided to recoup their losses by developing the PlayStation into a standalone console.

The add on would have been ninety branded but Sony were to make their own with the CD drive built in.

Philips now trying to ban Wiiu in Us make a nice circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The wii wasn't a fluke. It was disruptive and designed to be so and deserved it's success. The WiiU on the other hand was reactive. Nintendo saw tablets as being a threat and decided to try and compromise their product to react to the market which usually results in bad things. It was a poor move by nintendo.

Nintendo don't have the brand power Sony has in the home console space anymore, they found that out the hard way with the Gamecube. They'd really need something special and disruptive again to compete.

They went after the casual market, succeeded, and tried but failed the second time. Many who bought the wii had it gathering dust a few months after, mine included, so many didn't buy into the hype the second time.

The problem with Nintendo is that they're obsessed with gimmicks and making a kiddie/ family console and they only do what they want to do. Their woeful online service is and example and testimony to that as they refuse to open it up to the level of the PS4 or X1.

If they made a PS4 style console that played their family friendly games and more core games, and actually went after 3rd party, they really could have it all. Their franchises are family friendly and they'd have big 3rd party games that the other two platforms get. It would have amazing variety.

The way they're going now with a "I'll do what I want to do" attitude with half measures doesn't catch any market, because it's not enough to get core gamers and it doesn't catch the casual market who aren't loyal, but fickle, and will move onto the next fad.

I'm betting they'll release another console, it'll be extremely gimmicky to get people to buy it, it'll be about as powerful as the new consoles and then it'll be left in the dust yet again when the PS5 and nextbox comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    They went after the casual market, succeeded, and tried but failed the second time. Many who bought the wii had it gathering dust a few months after, mine included, so many didn't buy into the hype the second time.

The problem with Nintendo is that they're obsessed with gimmicks and making a kiddie/ family console and they only do what they want to do. Their woeful online service is and example and testimony to that as they refuse to open it up to the level of the PS4 or X1.

If they made a PS4 style console that played their family friendly games and more core games, and actually went after 3rd party, they really could have it all. Their franchises are family friendly and they'd have big 3rd party games that the other two platforms get. It would have amazing variety.

The way they're going now with a "I'll do what I want to do" attitude with half measures doesn't catch any market, because it's not enough to get core gamers and it doesn't catch the casual market who aren't loyal, but fickle, and will move onto the next fad.

I'm betting they'll release another console, it'll be extremely gimmicky to get people to buy it, it'll be about as powerful as the new consoles and then it'll be left in the dust yet again when the PS5 and nextbox comes out.

Have to agree with most of that. The Wii "fad" was a blip in a long decrease in console sales for nintendo and it will continue with the terrible Wii U sales.

62M - NES
    59M - SNES
    33M - N64
    22M - GameCube
    101M - Wii
    6M - Wii U

The problem for me is that they've just been riding nostalgia since the NES. The same old franchises are still their main franchises. Nostalgia will only take you so far and most of us who've grown up since the SNES want more mature games. If I ever feel nostalgic I'll just play the Wii. I'm not investing in a Wii U just to play those games in HD.

Kids nowadays are more into call of duty/gta/assasins creed etc on their playstation or xbox and the younger ones play games on their mobiles or ipads. Nintendo need to move with the times or be left behind. I see a future for them in software and not hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

{...}

You could be right: http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/552381/20140514/nintendo-hardware-2015-tomodachi-life-same-sex.htm#.U3TUA_ldXhE
    Not to be left behind Sony's PS4 and Microsoft's Xbox One, Nintendo is looking at releasing new consoles come 2015 to prove that it's far from being a dead brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Or not...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-13-nintendo-wont-launch-wii-u-successor-until-it-has-satisfied-current-owners
    Nintendo has poured cold water on the suggestion it will rush out a successor to its struggling Wii U, instead suggesting that it will wait to "satisfy" those who have adopted the console first.

But work on the Wii U's successor has started - as it does every generation when the previous console is released.

• Advertisement

It's not a replacement for the WiiU, they're releasing a new console into "emerging markets", which I assume means the likes of India.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Daith

It's not a replacement for the WiiU, they're releasing a new console into "emerging markets", which I assume means the likes of India.

That's ridiculous unless it's just going to support existing games. They're hardly going to have two consoles?

I'd have no problem buying a wii u because it has a handful of games like mario kart, smash bros, zelda and 3D world I like, but the fact that it's extremely overpriced for how underpowered it is really puts me off it, especially considering I can get a PS4 for €100 that destroys it in every way, or you could get a PS3 for cheaper with compatible graphics, but with a much better game library.

I'd love if they released a stripped down version without the stupid tablet so I could just play the good games at a reasonable price. I have no interest in a low resolution, gimmicky tablet that inflates the price.

Until it's about €150-€170 I won't ever buy it. Suits me better to wait a few years anyway as the games will be cheaper by then.

Daith wrote: »
    That's ridiculous unless it's just going to support existing games. They're hardly going to have two consoles?

That's what I got from this anyway.
    Satoru Iwata said Nintendo would develop hardware and games oriented towards consumers with lower incomes and less gaming experience than those in developed countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

China banned consoles for the last ~10 years. The ban now lifted, they are planning on entering there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Daith

That's what I got from this anyway.

Well I guess that's one why to disrupt the market when the market has never existed. Nintendo are barmy. Hope it pays off for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Stop treating corporations like people. Nintendo don't "want" anything in particular, what they "want" is what they think will make them the most money. If they compare their recent performance with the Wii and DS being "gimmicks" and "kiddie/family" consoles to the days when they were more focused on traditional gamers like with the N64 or the Gamecube, of course they're going to try for the latter.

Back in the early 2000s, they released a PS-like console that had family friendly games, core games, similar specs to the competition and strong 3rd party support. It didn't work then and it's even less likely to work now that they have an even stronger reputation as a company who just do casual stuff. Besides, the Wii U is as much a gaming machine as any of the competition right now.

It's still the only system to have a current-gen (i.e. one not just a higher res version of a game on 360/PS3) game with a Metascore over 90 and it has more current-gen games in the 80-90 range than either of it's competitors. Xbox has Titanfall, PS4 has Infamous SS, Wii U has Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Monster Hunter 3.
    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Have to agree with most of that. The Wii "fad" was a blip in a long decrease in console sales for nintendo and it will continue with the terrible Wii U sales.

62M - NES
    59M - SNES
    33M - N64
    22M - GameCube
    101M - Wii
    6M - Wii U

Misleading statistics. The Wii U hasn't even been on the market for two years, of course it's going to be the lowest seller on there.

I'd have no problem buying a wii u because it has a handful of games like mario kart, smash bros, zelda and 3D world I like, but the fact that it's extremely overpriced for how underpowered it is really puts me off it, especially considering I can get a PS4 for €100 that destroys it in every way, or you could get a PS3 for cheaper with compatible graphics, but with a much better game library.

I'd love if they released a stripped down version without the stupid tablet so I could just play the good games at a reasonable price. I have no interest in a low resolution, gimmicky tablet that inflates the price.

Until it's about €150-€170 I won't ever buy it. Suits me better to wait a few years anyway as the games will be cheaper by then.

Last I checked, Wii U seemed to be having an easy time putting out 1080p resolution, something both the Xbox One and the PS4 still haven't figured out. It's also cheaper than either of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

+1

Nintendo are not going to pull the Wii U from the market anytime soon.

If anything they're really only getting going in terms of releasing some of the big titles that people want to see before making their purchase.

Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and the upcoming albeit so far unannounced new Zelda will most definately shift a good quantity of consoles.

IMO it'll surpass the gamecube which wont be a huge success by any measure but it will mean they havent lost on it either which in todays console world is an achievement in itself.

The Wii U has another couple of years in it yet after which point god only knows what Nintendo will do. I'd be very surprised though if they attempt to compete with Sony and MS. Personally I think they should be shouting from the rooftops about the fact they're different and cheaper etc..
    If someone is going to be buying two consoles (which a lot do) Nintendo need the second console to be the Wii U instead of someone buyin both the xbox1 and ps4.

Anyway roll on Mario Kart. I pity the fool who misses out on this title. It looks incredibe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You can get a PS4 for €100? Any chance of sharing a source?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    You can get a PS4 for €100? Any chance of sharing a source?

I just got a second hand 360 in Canada for €100 and I thought I was doing well :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You say the PS4 destroys the Wii U yet you also say that Wii U has titles you like. Last time I checked the titles you mention can not be bought on the PS4. As it stands right now this minute unless your into the likes of fps games or the latest fifa theres just nothing unique about the other next gen consoles at the moment. There will be but not right now. The wii u has the best library of games of any of the next gen consoles, by far I might add.

Stripping a console of one of its USP's makes no sense. Its required for some games anyway so it aint gonna happen, thankfully I might add. This stupid tablet you mention is where I play most of my Wii U games. Best idea ever imo. In a one TV household like mine where theres kids and wife involved any device that'll allow me to play games away from my telly is a welcome addition.

Are you genuinely saying Nintendo should value their main home console at €150? Lower than a handheld? Really?

C14N wrote: »
    Stop treating corporations like people. Nintendo don't "want" anything in particular, what they "want" is what they think will make them the most money. If they compare their recent performance with the Wii and DS being "gimmicks" and "kiddie/family" consoles to the days when they were more focused on traditional gamers like with the N64 or the Gamecube, of course they're going to try for the latter.

Back in the early 2000s, they released a PS-like console that had family friendly games, core games, similar specs to the competition and strong 3rd party support. It didn't work then and it's even less likely to work now that they have an even stronger reputation as a company who just do casual stuff. Besides, the Wii U is as much a gaming machine as any of the competition right now.

It's still the only system to have a current-gen (i.e. one not just a higher res version of a game on 360/PS3) game with a Metascore over 90 and it has more current-gen games in the 80-90 range than either of it's competitors. Xbox has Titanfall, PS4 has Infamous SS, Wii U has Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Monster Hunter 3.

Misleading statistics. The Wii U hasn't even been on the market for two years, of course it's going to be the lowest seller on there.

AFAIK they shot themselves in the foot with expensive cartilages and publishing clauses.

I don't see them doing well unless they drop the gimmicks. The wii was a fad, casuals are all about mobile games now and many remember buying a wii and it gathering dust soon after.

The majority of people buy one console. Why would you buy the one console that has very little 3rd party software, is very underpowered, yet is still relatively expensive compared to the other consoles?

People have moved on to the PS4 and X1, Nintendo didn't release a competitive or compelling device with the wii u. It was a half-way house that was meant to catch casuals and core gamers but ended up with none.

I think they make some great games, but make very in unappealing consoles -at least in the last few years.

The original xbox did poorly, just like the GameCube, and look at it now.

If Nintendo made a serious push to bring out a serious console they could have it all, I think they could turn their image around. They'd have the family friendly games and could then make more mature games on top and they'd have 3rd party support just like the other 2 consoles.

This mentality of underpowered, gimmicky consoles hasn't been doing them favours with the wii u, so I think they need to just do the most obvious and simple thing, which is to compete with MS and Sony.

It's selling less after the same time on market compared to the next lowest which is the gamecube. Nintendo have forecast they will only sell another 3.6M for the ext year. I don't think it's misleading at all and coming off the back of the Wii's success I think their next console if it ever releases will do even worse than the Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Daith wrote: »
    Allyall wrote: »
    China banned consoles for the last ~10 years. The ban now lifted, they are planning on entering there.

Heres the report from last week on a new 'lesser' system for emerging markets that they are going to go into soon (china, even though they have the iQue already).

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/nintendo_creating_a_new_console_for_emerging_markets_including_china

To me it sounds like they will re-release the Wii in these markets, or just release a cheaper version of the Wii U, without the gamepad, which most of the West want too, lol.

• Advertisement

You say the PS4 destroys the Wii U yet you also say that Wii U has titles you like. Last time I checked the titles you mention can not be bought on the PS4. As it stands right now this minute unless your into the likes of fps games or the latest fifa theres just nothing unique about the other next gen consoles at the moment. There will be but not right now. The wii u has the best library of games of any of the next gen consoles, by far I might add.

Stripping a console of one of its USP's makes no sense. Its required for some games anyway so it aint gonna happen, thankfully I might add. This stupid tablet you mention is where I play most of my Wii U games. Best idea ever imo. In a one TV household like mine where theres kids and wife involved any device that'll allow me to play games away from my telly is a welcome addition.

Are you genuinely saying Nintendo should value their main home console at €150? Lower than a handheld? Really?
    It's more powerful, offers more and delivers the best games to me. The long term potential of the PS4 eclipses the wii u.

There's nothing even compatible to TLOU, god of war or journey on the wii u.
    And I'm happy with my 3rd party games and some first party games that are absent from the wii u.

So although there are games I like on it, playstation gives me far more. Plus I have a vita, so I have remote play wherever I want as well.

I'm saying for me that's the only price point I'll buy it at, and that's perfectly fine.
    There's only a small handful of games I'd get for the wii u, so I'm not going to spend €300 on it just to play it the very odd time. It's just not worth it for me.

Last I checked, Wii U seemed to be having an easy time putting out 1080p resolution, something both the Xbox One and the PS4 still haven't figured out. It's also cheaper than either of the competition.

With significantly more basic graphics, yes.

The wii u would never run a game anywhere near the level of killzone.

And the Ps4 is €100 more, that was a typo on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PS4 and X1 can run any game that's on the WiiU in 1080p and 60fps with power to spare.

Is AC4 on the WiiU in 1080p?? Nope. PS4, yep. Apples and oranges, need to compare like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

With significantly more basic graphics, yes.

The wii u would never run a game anywhere near the level of killzone.

And the Ps4 is €100 more, that was a typo on my part.

You're using Killzone as a barometer of quality? You can get a WiiU with a game for like 250, is the PS4 only 350? I ask as I genuinely am not aware of the price of a PS4 apart from the traded price in CEX and thats over 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    is the PS4 only 350? I ask as I genuinely am not aware of the price of a PS4 apart from the traded price in CEX and thats over 400.

The PS4 is still 400 with no games. Nothing has changed price wise, yet.

To get back to the thread at hand.

Ubisoft have just announced Far Cry 4.
    It will release on PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PC and.............that's it.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/05/15/far-cry-4-announced-for-2014

Ubisoft would have been one of the most loyal and active Nintendo publishers. If they are giving up hope then there must be no hope.

Personally I never played Far Cry 3 despite being able to get it for free on PS Plus I just didn't and still don't have the time to play it. I've read reviews of it though and seen videos on youtube and have to say I'm really looking forward to this. After playing AC4 I really can't wait for another adventure open world game!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    You're using Killzone as a barometer of quality? You can get a WiiU with a game for like 250, is the PS4 only 350? I ask as I genuinely am not aware of the price of a PS4 apart from the traded price in CEX and thats over 400.

I saw the mk8 bundle for €300 and assumed that was the going rate.

And if you're going by graphic fidelity, killzone is great.

If you want an overall great game, graphics and all, infamous second son is a good example. There's nothing at all like that on the wii u, and it's 1080p too.

I saw the mk8 bundle for €300 and assumed that was the going rate.

And if you're going by graphic fidelity, killzone is great.

If you want an overall great game, graphics and all, infamous second son is a good example. There's nothing at all like that on the wii u, and it's 1080p too.

Redzer I suppose it depeds on what you want. I'd be lost without BF4 on the PS4 and it's my new cod. If I had a Wii U I would be missing out big time. If I was still into Mario and the like I'd feel the exact same way about not owning a Wii U.

Redzer I suppose it depeds on what you want. I'd be lost without BF4 on the PS4 and it's my new cod. If I had a Wii U I would be missing out big time. If I was still into Mario and the like I'd feel the exact same way about not owning a Wii U.

You see the thing is with a Nintendo console you're always waiting around for when they release a game. When I had a wii I was waiting months and months for a good game because there wasn't any good 3rd party stuff at all.

That's why a Nintendo console can't be a good primary console, because you miss out on way too much. If they had all the 3rd party stuff too, with no graphical or gameplay compromises to the the other two consoles it wouldn't be an issue.

But yeah, I couldn't just buy a wii u on it's own. I'd need to have a PS4 or something primarily because that would get the most games.

• Advertisement

It's selling less after the same time on market compared to the next lowest which is the gamecube. Nintendo have forecast they will only sell another 3.6M for the ext year. I don't think it's misleading at all and coming off the back of the Wii's success I think their next console if it ever releases will do even worse than the Wii U.

Source? I can't find anything on what the Gamecube sold after around 18-20 months in all territories. Your assertation that the next Nintendo console will do even worse is also completely baseless, you'd might as well make such a prediction based on rock paper scissors.
    AFAIK they shot themselves in the foot with expensive cartilages and publishing clauses.

With the Gamecube? :confused:

The majority of people buy one console. Why would you buy the one console that has very little 3rd party software, is very underpowered, yet is still relatively expensive compared to the other consoles?

I fail to see how a console selling at 56% the price of it's next cheapest competitor can be seen as "relatively expensive", especially not when the Wii was going for about the same at the same time last gen. You might buy it because you don't care about power (just like how the last 4 generations were won by the least powerful consoles) and because even without 3rd party support, it has more high-quality games.

I think they make some great games, but make very in unappealing consoles -at least in the last few years.

How does this make sense? A console's value is determined by its games. If the games are compelling, the console is compelling.

The original xbox did poorly, just like the GameCube, and look at it now.

They both went their separate ways last generation. Xbox 360 did well because it competed with a Sony who appeared to be on a determined path of self-destruction for about the first 3 years of its cycle. Now it's not doing that well, better than the Wii U, but still not exactly a model to follow and obviously Nintendo didn't know how things were going to work out when they first made the Wii U.

If Nintendo made a serious push to bring out a serious console they could have it all, I think they could turn their image around. They'd have the family friendly games and could then make more mature games on top and they'd have 3rd party support just like the other 2 consoles.

Sounds like the Gamecube again. I see no reason why Nintendo would succeed now when they failed back then. They had their family-friendly AAA games, they had some more mature games from 3rd and 2nd parties and they got all the multiplatform titles for the first few years. While that might perform passably and seem like a safer path to go down now with the Wii U failing to catch on, from their position in 2012, it clearly looked a lot less financially appealing than to try and replicate the Wii's success.
    There's nothing even compatible to TLOU, god of war or journey on the wii u.

Yes there is. Wind Waker can be compared quite directly to TLOU. Both are remakes of excellent games and both look fantastic in 1080p on their latest consoles. Afaik, God of War doesn't even have a game announced yet on PS4 (although that's a franchise that could probably do with taking a rest) and Journey isn't on PS4 either.

So although there are games I like on it, playstation gives me far more. Plus I have a vita, so I have remote play wherever I want as well.

Gee, kind of sounds like a gimmicky feature that they should take away from any console that offers it out of the box ;)
    You see the thing is with a Nintendo console you're always waiting around for when they release a game. When I had a wii I was waiting months and months for a good game because there wasn't any good 3rd party stuff at all.

Personally still waiting after 6 months for anything to make either the XBO or the PS4 worth buying.

But yeah, I couldn't just buy a wii u on it's own. I'd need to have a PS4 or something primarily because that would get the most games.

So? Maybe that's what most Wii U owners plan to do. It's certainly what I would do if I had one. It's by far the cheapest console with the most exclusive games, it's easily the most viable "second console" of the three.

Advertisement