Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

I bit the bullet and got one. Don't regret it either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Karsini wrote: »
    I bit the bullet and got one. Don't regret it either. :)

Might end up doing the same myself in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Davei141 wrote: »
    Might end up doing the same myself in a month or so.

Same here. I can feel and MK8 pack impulse buy coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It'll be Smash that does it for me, although I wouldn't miss MK8 if I did get one. Since I'm a PC gamer first, it'll be nice to have a console with some good local multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

First games i'll be getting will be Donkey Kong, Super Mario 3d world and Mario Kart. Hopefully some more unmissable games get announced and it will make up my mind for certain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

C14N wrote: »
    He didn't say nobody else ever did anything, but if you look at this generation there's nothing really innovative about the PS4 or Xbox One. Not saying that makes them bad (in fact, MS tried to innovate and made things worse) but whether you like the Wii U's touch screen or not, it's still about the only thing out there that's new from a console standpoint.

I do not agree with this as playstation 4 and xbox one have features that allow users to capure gameplay videos and stream onto twitch and ustream without gaming capture device like an elgato, on consoles that has never been done before so that innovative in itself for consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I do not agree with this as playstation 4 and xbox one have features that allow users to capure gameplay videos and stream onto twitch and ustream without gaming capture device like an elgato, on consoles that has never been done before so that innovative in itself for consoles.

Which adds absolutely nothing to the games you are playing really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Daith wrote: »
    Now that is rubbish and pure Nintendo fanboi crap. Steam, Sony and Microsoft have all delivered fantastic and innovative gaming experiences not to mention other other companies.

XBox Live is a fantastic and despite been out for a long time is something Nintendo's online service can't compete with.

Firstly I never said that the other companies didn't innovate, so every point you tried to make based on that was a waste of your time, well done.
    I own pretty much every format from here to the start of it all and I love pretty much them all.
    So no blinkered love for any one console.
    You might want to keep your little juvenile Fanboi comments to yourself.

And you reckon because XBL is fantastic everyone else should maybe just packup and leave?
    Well Sony have succeeded in washing away the taste PSN left in people's mouths with the excellent service on the PS4.
    No reason to suppose Nintendo won't adapt to the online scene in the same way, and signs of this evolution is to be seen in Mario Kart 8 with race replays that can be uploaded straight to YouTube and extensive online competition, which is to be part of their summer '14 keynote.

So, enough of your bluffing, why don't you run along and let the grown ups talk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'll be Smash that does it for me, although I wouldn't miss MK8 if I did get one. Since I'm a PC gamer first, it'll be nice to have a console with some good local multiplayer.

Apparently the local multiplayer is the one area MK8 falls down.
    Nintendo have yanked a lot of the classic arena type events, instead focusing at online multiplayer, which is not cool.
    Despite this Edge gave it a 9/10, which is 3/10 more than they gave Gunstar Heroes. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Which adds absolutely nothing to the games you are playing really.

So ? still adds something that not being done before. Nintendo up to this point have done nothing with the gamepad really up to this point or with ms with the kinetic than add voice demands to their games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apparently the local multiplayer is the one area MK8 falls down.
    Nintendo have yanked a lot of the classic arena type events, instead focusing at online multiplayer, which is not cool.
    Despite this Edge gave it a 9/10, which is 3/10 more than they gave Gunstar Heroes. ;)

The Wii Kart all ready ruined a perfect formula for me that was Double Dash, now you're telling me the trend is continued with the U version. Well in my view the WiiU is well and truly dead in the water and I don't mind admitting that.
    Local multiplayer is what they should be trying to push as a unique feature really and they go for online.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just holding out for E3 now to make sure I don't miss any price drop or upgraded memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ArPharazon

Gamestop Cork dont have a Wii U section anymore. Its looking bleak for Nintendo.:(

ArPharazon wrote: »
    Gamestop Cork dont have a Wii U section anymore. Its looking bleak for Nintendo.:(

There's 5 GS stores in the Cork city area, have they all abandoned the WiiU?
    Sounds a bit mental, all the stores around North Co Dublin have sections dedicated to the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

You can watch Netflix on your Wii U yeah? Surely the Blu-Ray players adds to the video games potential by allowing bigger content too. The added gimmick of the tablet distracts from just playing the console.
    Wii U supports Blu-Ray discs with a polished edge so as to not pay royalty fees to the Blu-Ray Consortium, so it doesn't play movies, just blu-ray discs.
    I'm talking about innovation in general for video games. Nintendo haven't bettered the Xbox Live service or provided anything unique there. Sony have some brilliant games that Nintendo can't compete with either. I mean if we are discounting 2nd parties then are we discounting Smash Brothers too?
    Miiverse, and not having to pay for online is pretty innovative to me.

Didn't Sony copy Miiverse? Haven't played a PS4 but I've seen all their marketing hype videos, they showed some miiverse-like stuff at one point.
    Hardly shocking Sony doing something Nintendo brought to market first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Didn't Sony copy Miiverse? H

they did not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

not quite the same, but you can upload your mk8 stuff to youtube. i dont know how well it works because they haven't enabled it yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Didn't Sony copy Miiverse? Haven't played a PS4 but I've seen all their marketing hype videos, they showed some miiverse-like stuff at one point.
    Hardly shocking Sony doing something Nintendo brought to market first though.

MS tried it for the 360 with the NXE dashboard avatars but then ditched the idea for the X1.

Sony never went near the concept. They did do PS Move controllers that were similar in concept to the Wii controller settup but it never took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Daith

Firstly I never said that the other companies didn't innovate, so every point you tried to make based on that was a waste of your time, well done.
    I own pretty much every format from here to the start of it all and I love pretty much them all.
    So no blinkered love for any one console.
    Complete nonsense, and an opinion only.
    Of all companies, Nintendo has shown that it is dedicated to it's mission of providing innovative gaming experiences.

No your argument was that of all companies. Which isn't true. Steam for example have brought more innovation in gaming than Nintendo these past few years. Other companies have been more innovative than Nintendo.

And you reckon because XBL is fantastic everyone else should maybe just packup and leave?

No I didn't say that or reckon that. I said Nintendo haven't been able to compete with MS in that or improve upon XBL so every point you tried to make based on that was a waste of your time, well done.

No reason to suppose Nintendo won't adapt to the online scene in the same way, and signs of this evolution is to be seen in Mario Kart 8 with race replays that can be uploaded straight to YouTube and extensive online competition, which is to be part of their summer '14 keynote.

Which Sony and MS have done so hardly innovative. Everything I hear about Nintendo is what they are going to do. Are they going to adapt to a scene they never showed much interest in or be innovative.
    You might want to keep your little juvenile Fanboi comments to yourself.
    So, enough of your bluffing, why don't you run along and let the grown ups talk.

Sigh, you're not above it yourself though. Just argue my points. What has the Wii U done that is innovative. Is it really the offline play?

No your argument was that of all companies. Which isn't true. Steam for example have brought more innovation in gaming than Nintendo these past few years. Other companies have been more innovative than Nintendo.

No I didn't say that or reckon that. I said Nintendo haven't been able to compete with MS in that or improve upon XBL so every point you tried to make based on that was a waste of your time, well done.

Which Sony and MS have done so hardly innovative. Everything I hear about Nintendo is what they are going to do. Are they going to adapt to a scene they never showed much interest in or be innovative.

Sigh, you're not above it yourself though. Just argue my points. What has the Wii U done that is innovative. Is it really the offline play?

I think others have responded succinctly to your various points and I see no reason to repeat them.

I argued against the points you made adequately, in my opinion.

The phrase "fanboi" or its variants is a bit of a red flag around here. None of us like the accusation so you might like to choose some better language tbh.

And regarding online multiplayer.
    Japanese manufacturers never really showed a huge amount of interest in the scene up to the PS3, with only the Dreamcast exhibiting an effort, with a built in modem and an optional broadband adapter.
    The PS3 itself, for much of its existence, was a pale reflection of the service provided, first on the original Xbox and later on the 360.
    The PS3 improve over time but never to the levels of the 360 and it really took the PS4 to see them overtake.
    Point is, Nintendo are on the same kind of trajectory, although their relative focus on local multiplayer is integral to the WiiU experience.
    That said, this approach has meet with little acclaim with the majority of console buyers, and so with Mario Kart 8 we see a switch away from local multiplayer and into online.
    This is a change happening now.
    Not at some date in the future.

Where Nintendo have innovated is in the provision of an online community, facilitating communication and enjoyment between players, the group being seen as an extended family.
    With the integration of the 3DS and WiiU Miiverse and into games it's a lovely feature.

Nintendo have done a huge amount right in this gen, ultimately I think it may turn out that the power of the console, relative to the PS4 and XB1, have hamstrung it's possible market share.
    But who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ArPharazon

There's 5 GS stores in the Cork city area, have they all abandoned the WiiU?
    Sounds a bit mental, all the stores around North Co Dublin have sections dedicated to the format.

I was talking about the Cork city store on Patrick street.
    I dont know if there is still a section in Blackpool.

Where are the other 3 Cork stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Complete nonsense, and an opinion only.

None of you are looking at the big picture. Look at the sales graph for the 3DS. It's only out a few years and it's already in a huge decline. The system has only sold around 2.3 million to date this year and the vita about 1 million. That is shocking for handhelds and is a massive decline to all previous years.

Face the facts lads handhelds are taking over and I know this from dealing with kids, ad my many young relations. They all want to play on mammy and daddy's ipads or iphone while their handhelds are gathering dust.

In the US for April the PS4 sold around 50k more units than all nintendo products put together. They are not in a rosy situation whatsoever and are burning through money.

3 years ago Nintendo were selling around 350k handhelds a week and now at a time when the 3DS should be in it's prime they are selling 110k a week while sony sell a measly 55k a week worldwide.

The graph for handheld sales has plummeted and it's directly correlating to the release of smartphones and tablets. If you can't deal with the facts please don't attack me personally. Any gaming forum with a bit of sense will tell you what I just said and more importantly any economist in the gaming market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Just...what??:confused: How could you possibly think this? It's sold nearly 45m units, each week it's the second biggest seller after the PS4, and it's not far off the PS4. The VGChartz front page shows the top 3 selling games from the week of May 3rd are 3DS games. By any metric, it's doing very well.

I honestly don't have the time to stay active in this thread but please look at the big picture. 3 years ago to the month ninty sold around 350k handelds world wide every week. Similar numbers and higher were achieved for years previous 2011 too. Now they sell just over 100k handhelds a week and declining.

The 3DS is the successor to the DS and it almost sold as much as the PS2 at around 150M units roughly. The 3DS will be lucky to half that number.

Why are ales down so much? The answer is smartphones and tablets. Kids are addicted to those these days rather than the 3DS.

I did a quick google search on gaming in japan and it appears some of the biggest handheld companies that sold millions on the DS and PSP are now focusing on mobile and tablet games instead. Handhelds have had their day and it's adapt or die for nintendo.

Everyone saying they're grand reminds me of the people saying our economy was grand in 2007. Little bit of foresight wouldn't go astray and yes I'm forecasting but unless lighting strights twice the wii type success won't repeat. And for the handhelds nunty need to make a hyprid DS cross smart phone type device.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I really want to buy a WiiU, gonna wait until E3 to see what happens.

Royal Celt,

April, in the US, that's one territory, one month.
    Look at the global picture and what do you see?
    You see a very strong 3DS.
    And if you didn't see strong sales of the PS4 good be wondering what was going on.
    The XB1,in the US, is about to get a bounce, courtesy of the new SKU and we'll see the numbers sold, between the PS4 and XB1 close.
    There's a lot of doom sayers getting their jollies from predicting the end of Nintendo.
    Not sure what the thrill is but it is sure getting old.
    The 3DS is the biggest current handheld in the business and its install base makes it a great place to develop games.
    Phones and tablets are competing for the same kind of market but the games and experiences are quite different from that of the 3DS and Vita.
    I would suggest you hold off on predicting their extinction just yet, the Vita just had one of its strongest months in Japan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fantastic sales of the 3DS (and saying its anything but is a lie) goes to show that the mobile and handheld markets can co-exist and there's room for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There's been more sweeping statements on the last page than by cleaners in a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The fantastic sales of the 3DS (and saying its anything but is a lie) goes to show that the mobile and handheld markets can co-exist and there's room for both.

Ah yes, 'peaceful co-existence'. That old chestnut.

14027377279_9452ec81d7_o.gif

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Ah yes, 'peaceful co-existence'. That old chestnut.

14027377279_9452ec81d7_o.gif

Well, at least compete and have us all benefit.
    360 vs PS3 benefited everyone.
    DS vs PSP benefited everybody.
    The current gen will be no different.
    The 360 had an amazing early start and the PS3 had a lousy lousy one.
    You think the XB1 isn't doing well, you should cast your mind back to that cluster f*ck.
    But Sony dragged themselves up by the bootstraps and topped out the generation with an amazing sales record and some of the most remarkable games we've ever seen.
    The PS3 had terrible press and an awful year of few decent titles.
    Look now to the XB1.
    Can't some people simply accept that the market would be healthier if the market had several devices, competing, encouraging development and improving the games we all get to play.
    Any take such delight in a consoles hard times?
    Are they really hard times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I really want to buy a WiiU, gonna wait until E3 to see what happens.

Me too. Gonna hold on till e3 as I think we'll see one or more of the following:
    1) price cut
    2) increased memory on new wii-u's
    3) wii-u sold without gamepads like xbox have done with kinect

Advertisement