Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Me too. Gonna hold on till e3 as I think we'll see one or more of the following:
    1) price cut
    2) increased memory on new wii-u's
    3) wii-u sold without gamepads like xbox have done with kinect

That's definitely not going to happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There may be a price cut to the console, maybe through in Nintendoland preinstalled as a demo of the console.
    No way they'll uncouple the WiiU from its unique selling point, the Gamepad.
    I'm sure they've something up their sleeve, and personally I hope it's more great games.
    Maybe some playable Watchdogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Kirby wrote: »
    That's definitely not going to happen.

A lot of people said the same thing about the xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Then gamepad is something I'd be looking for if I was to pick up a Wii U.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the Gamepad defines the WiiU in a much bigger way than the Kinect ever did.
    The only way they'd release a non Gamepad version of the WiiU is if they produced a way to link the 3DS or new handheld to act as a proxy of the Gamepad. I don't think that's on the cards right now, despite the inevitable sales such a thing would produce.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm kind of sick of reading comments from armchair Nintendo CEOs all across the intraweb.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm kind of sick of reading comments from armchair Nintendo CEOs all across the intraweb.

Says the lone CDi fanboi ;)

And it's more of a guessing game as to where they'll go next with it.
    Nintendo don't feck up that often so I have to assume they've some sort of plan.
    And then we are all speculative about what it'll be.
    Like trying to know the mind of God.
    So we are all, in effect, theology scholars from the middle ages when it comes to Ninty.
    No point in stressing about knowing what Sony and MS are up to, they just want to screw you out of money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I was waiting to get to a laptop so I could respond to your quoted post point-by-point, C14N, but since you replied in the quotes, it's more finicky, so I won't bother doing it directly.

I guess my main point was that I wouldn't buy a wii u if it was over 150 euro. That's my choice and there's nothing wrong with that.

My reasoning for it is that with every nintendo console iteration you get 1 mario kart, 1 smash bros, 1 zelda, and usually one 3D mario world game. These are games I like, and tbh, they're the only games I'd play off a nintendo console. So far me to spend 300 euro on a console I'm only going to buy a maximum of 5 or 6 games on, is ridiculous to me. I'll just wait until it's at a more practical price point.

I have a PS4 and it's more expensive, but I myself get a lot more worth out of it than I would a wii u. Between multiplatform games absent on the wii u and the huge number of high quality exclusives that they're known for, I never feel like I'm waiting around. When I had a wii you could only rely on nintendo themselves for decent games, and that meant months and months of waiting. That wasn't the case with the PS3. And even at times when the exclusives were more paced out, there were still a multitude of multiplatforms to choose from.

I think my final point was that wondering why nintendo don't adopt such a stance. Their obsession with casuals has failed and they've alienated core gamers who buy many games and are ultimately more reliable and loyal than the fickle casual market that jump to the nearest gimmick.

In my opinion, if nintendo dropped the gimmicks, motion controls, etc, and just put that money into making the console comparable in power to the other two, then they would get all the mature multiplatform games without them being dumbed down, they'd have their first party games that are family friendly, but now have an audience to make more mature first party titles, and they'd be in a very viable possition to have a console that the majority could see as a primary console that is in competition with Sony and MS.

The largest majority of people buy one console, for example many wouldn't buy both a PS4 and X1 because they're so similar. It's either one or the other. These people also are into COD, BF and other multiplatforms like GTA. Now if they could have all that AND still churn out their current first party stuff, there would be an awful lot of people picking a nintendo console as their main one because they'd pretty much have it all.

They're already all about the games, so they could make a shift away from the whole 'kid friendly/orientated console' and move to a very versatile console that has it all. You'd got the family friendly aspect, but then you've got all the big mature franchises too, so you're never really compromising as much by just owning one console.

That's just my opinion on it and I think that model would be far more successful for them. They'd have to put some serious work in with 3rd parties, making their imagine more appealing to core gamers and being far more competitive against the other two, but I think it's feasible. MS didn't start off well with the original xbox, yet the X1 is doing well, and will most likely surpass wii u sales soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Retr0gamer wrote: »

you really shouldn't read threads like this. If you're sick of hearing politicians talk sh*te would you go to the dail every day?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Royal Celt,

April, in the US, that's one territory, one month.
    Look at the global picture and what do you see?
    You see a very strong 3DS.
    And if you didn't see strong sales of the PS4 good be wondering what was going on.
    The XB1,in the US, is about to get a bounce, courtesy of the new SKU and we'll see the numbers sold, between the PS4 and XB1 close.
    There's a lot of doom sayers getting their jollies from predicting the end of Nintendo.
    Not sure what the thrill is but it is sure getting old.
    The 3DS is the biggest current handheld in the business and its install base makes it a great place to develop games.
    Phones and tablets are competing for the same kind of market but the games and experiences are quite different from that of the 3DS and Vita.
    I would suggest you hold off on predicting their extinction just yet, the Vita just had one of its strongest months in Japan.

I'm fully aware how the vita did and I'm also aware it sold under 5k for the entire month of april and march in the US. Slight boost will come for the new sku but nothing major. Sony say they make a small profit from the vita but they do well to do the same with a successor. They don't even support it with AAA games anymore so i'd imagine the game is up and SOny won't make another.

Do you really think the sales gap will close between the ps4 and XB1 in the US because they dropped the only thing that gave it any real advantage?

In march they had the most hyped new ip in history and a massive advertisig campaign which made it look like an exclusive. No mention of the pc or 360 version before they released a few weeks late. This didn't work and they even gave it a fairly bug unofficial price drop. As you might know, PS4 still outsold it handily in March and April it was nearly 2:1. May will be shocking for XB1 and after that I predict the kinectless SKU will just allow the XB1 to hang in there. The gap is going to keep increasing and it will take the likes of halo 5 to close it.

Back to the 3DS i chose 1 month but only because it's the most recent. Software sales on it have also been very bad compared to the DS over a similar time frame and as I said any sales analyst will tell you the dedicated handhelds days are limited. I know it's hard to accept when you're such a fan but it's happening. I'll return in 3 years and you might say I'm right then!

Consoles like the XB1/PS4/Wii U will be next to go and I predict the next gen battle will be between 2 companies and not 3. It's just not big enough anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

By my calculations, Nintendo are in the best postion of all.

Microsoft - What they are famous for is Windows OS, and they can't seem to make one (an OS) that consumers want, for tablets and phones, causing them massive losses. XBONE SURFACE (random article but correct)

Sony - TV's, Stereo's, and removable/portable media players is where they gained most of their fame, and they are losing money by the bucket load. Leaving PC Business (Loss)
    More losses expected

Nintendo - Video Gaming is what they're famous for. It also seems to be their only interest and the only one that they may be concentrating on.
    They have losses, but they're already improving on those.

If they wanted to compete with Sony and Microsoft on their level they could easily, as it has been mentioned numerous times that they are sitting on plenty of cash reserves.

I don't find it that hard to imagine a big Nintendo Console, that looks and acts like the PS or Xbox.

Allyall wrote: »
    By my calculations, Nintendo are in the best postion of all.

Microsoft - What they are famous for is Windows OS, and they can't seem to make one that consumers want, for tablets and phones, causing them massive losses. XBONE SURFACE (random article but correct)

Sony - TV's, Stereo's, and removable/portable media players is where they gained most of their fame, and they are losing money by the bucket load. Leaving PC Business (Loss)
    More losses expected

Nintendo - Video Gaming is what they're famous for. It also seems to be the only pie that they have their fingers in, and, therefore, the only one that they may be concentrating on.
    They have losses, but they're already improving on those.

If they wanted to compete with Sony and Microsoft on their level they could, easily, as it has been mentioned numerous times that they are sitting on cash reserves.

I don't find it that hard to imagine a big Nintendo Console, that looks and acts like the PS or Xbox. People are already aware of Nintenodo's khow established nintendo are, and they are

The Wii U is basically a PS3 or 360 and I don't see gamers from either platform flocking to it. Mario and the like doesn't appeal to that type of gamer even in HD and releasing a machine as powerful as the PS4/XB1 would just give them massive loses. The only reason their Wii U loses are lesser is because they played it safe with the U and it's not nearly as expensive to make.

Their next console will release likely when the PS4/XB1 battle is in full swing and they'll do well to get a look in. Their dwindling hardcore fanbase will buy it year one and unless they can convince grannies, parents and kids alike to buy it I don't see it taking off.

And to follow up on my dwindling fanbase comment. I've read so many nintendo fans on forums say they won't be buying the next console year 1 and will wait to see how it turns out first.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The Wii U is basically a PS3 or 360 and I don't see gamers from either platform flocking to it. Mario and the like doesn't appeal to that type of gamer even in HD and releasing a machine as powerful as the PS4/XB1 would just give them massive loses. The only reason their Wii U loses are lesser is because they played it safe with the U and it's not nearly as expensive to make.

Their next console will release likely when the PS4/XB1 battle is in full swing and they'll do well to get a look in. Their dwindling hardcore fanbase will buy it year one and unless they can convince grannies, parents and kids alike to buy it I don't see it taking off.

And to follow up on my dwindling fanbase comment. I've read so many nintendo fans on forums say they won't be buying the next console year 1 and will wait to see how it turns out first.

I had posted a bit early (hadn't finished my post, and gave up), too much jameson and wild plants tonight.. :o
    Xbox, I think is done.

There's a small possibility I'm wrong :rolleyes: but I think between xbox and PS, unless one of them takes a different route, or cross platform games become normal, one will dominate.
    Nintendo have the history, know-how, focus and money to release a console to beat them all.

Why haven't they done that yet? IMO, they've been experimenting.
    I could get very, very bored with the PS and Xbox without new types of games. A new genre.

Very strong patents on the next (or next after that) for the Nintendo console. Different games, familiar games and characters, A different way of playing them, and you can also play all of the games available for all current consoles. (With the exception of one or two exclusives).
    One crazy mega-powerful multimedia console that includes everything, including a new way of monitoring and helping people get fit.. In many ways..

My money is on Nintendo to come out on top. Buckets of it.

I had posted a bit early (hadn't finished my post, and gave up), too much jameson and wild plants tonight.. :o
    Xbox, I think is done.

There's a small possibility I'm wrong :rolleyes: but I think between xbox and PS, unless one of them takes a different route, or cross platform games become normal, one will dominate.
    Nintendo have the history, know-how, focus and money to release a console to beat them all.

Why haven't they done that yet? IMO, they've been experimenting.
    I could get very, very bored with the PS and Xbox without new types of games. A new genre.

Very strong patents on the next (or next after that) for the Nintendo console. Different games, familiar games and characters, A different way of playing them, and you can also play all of the games available for all current consoles. (With the exception of one or two exclusives).
    One crazy mega-powerful multimedia console that includes everything, including a new way of monitoring and helping people get fit.. In many ways..

My money is on Nintendo to come out on top. Buckets of it.

My money is on all 3 to not be making consoles. This gen will be fine for MS and Sony. And next gen will be likley the last for whoever goes for it. Sony won't be releasing the PS5 for a good 7/8 years if the PS4 stays on course.

Since the PS1 nintendo have had only the wii and that was not a success because of traditional hardcore gamers. It became a trend world wide among every type of person. I'm a hardcore gamer but even I occasionally had fun with my little sister on her wii. We've had 4 gens of Sony and in 3 of them sony has dominated them. If anything Sony has the know how and history for console gaming. Nintendo has always dominated the handheld side of gaming and that will remain until handhelds go extinct.

Since the PS1 nintendo have had only the wii and that was not a success because of traditional hardcore gamers. It became a trend world wide among every type of person. I'm a hardcore gamer but even I occasionally had fun with my little sister on her wii. We've had 4 gens of Sony and in 3 of them sony has dominated them. If anything Sony has the know how and history for console gaming. Nintendo has always dominated the handheld side of gaming and that will remain until handhelds go extinct.

:confused:

The PS1 was released with the N64.
    After that they had the Gamecube, then the Wii.
    The Wii was a massive success.

:confused:

The PS1 was released with the N64.
    After that they had the Gamecube, then the Wii.
    The Wii was a massive success.

And then the Wii U. The PS1 sold a lot more than the N64 and sony will likely have 4 consoles in a row selling over 95 million each.

Off topic: But how do you add a poll wen creating a thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

My money is on all 3 to not be making consoles. This gen will be fine for MS and Sony. And next gen will be likley the last for whoever goes for it. Sony won't be releasing the PS5 for a good 7/8 years if the PS4 stays on course.
    This to be honest; both MS and Sony lose money on every console they make and while it had added value previously (MS online for gaming, Blue ray player etc.) with the move to PC architecture they lost the last things making the consoles unique in terms of hardware.

I think Nintendo will keep on making handheld and consoles (the later simply because they can) but I expect Sony and MS to be out of it with in one generation.

Nody wrote: »
    This to be honest; both MS and Sony lose money on every console they make and while it had added value previously (MS online for gaming, Blue ray player etc.) with the move to PC architecture they lost the last things making the consoles unique in terms of hardware.

I think Nintendo will keep on making handheld and consoles (the later simply because they can) but I expect Sony and MS to be out of it with in one generation.

I don't see your point because the PS4 has launched much better than the PS3. Xbox not doing so well now but that's MS's fault not their PC type hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm waiting for a new Zelda to be announced, and will buy the Zelda bundle that hopefully doesn't include the tablet controller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'm waiting for a new Zelda to be announced, and will buy the Zelda bundle that hopefully doesn't include the tablet controller.

You'll get your wish on June 9th so!

*edit: not re the gamepad removal though

Personally I'm not into Zelda but if it's your thing I can see why you'd get one. Those games are meant to be great if you like the genre. Best of luck with E3!

I'm sure I could get a decent amount for the tablet controller and buy the game pad and an extra game. The one thing I really like about the WiiU is the backwards compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

At least at the minute, it'd be useless to anyone else, unless they broke their own controller, so not sure how much you'd get for it... :confused:

At least at the minute, it'd be useless to anyone else, unless they broke their own controller, so not sure how much you'd get for it... :confused:

My girlfriends brother has a WiiU and his dog destroyed the controller:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Jimmy your homework is done?!

My dog ate my wiiu pad.

Okay, I just thought you had the new xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Do you really think the sales gap will close between the ps4 and XB1 in the US because they dropped the only thing that gave it any real advantage?

Well previously it was mostly the same console with mostly the same games and one was 25% more expensive than the other. Now it's mostly the same console with mostly the same games at the same price, so yes, I'd easily imagine sales will pick up. Microsoft have home advantage in the US too, Xbox has traditionally done a lot better there than anywhere else.

You don't seriously think it's game over and Sony have won it already do you?
    I know it's hard to accept when you're such a fan but it's happening. I'll return in 3 years and you might say I'm right then!

Just for the record since I've been defending them too: I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo. Haven't played the Wii in ages, haven't played the DS in longer. No plans to buy a 3DS. If Nintendo decided to release their games on competing consoles and PC it would really suit me better. Wishful thinking and naiive optimism are not the reasons I don't think Nintendo are going to flop and go out of business at all. The simple fact is that Nintendo has the money to sustain a loss and the time to turn themselves around on the Wii U and there's nothing to fix on the 3DS which is doing excellently. I would have thought the 3DS would be failing and I don't actually know anyone who plays it but all the anecdotal evidence in the world doesn't do much against the hard numbers that show its success.

It's completely different to Sega who exited after a string of unsuccessful consoles (GameGear, then Saturn, then Dreamcast). Sega had only one successful console, Genesis/Mega Drive and even then it was a runner up to the SNES. In comparison, I don't think Nintendo have ever had a console that wasn't at least moderately successful in the last 30 years (except Virtual Boy) so it's very hard to see them dropping out entirely based on one console not doing so hot after such a short period of time.

Maybe in 3 years it will turn out that you were right all along but since everything here is mere conjecture and speculation, you should also realise that it could be the complete opposite and you could just as easily be completely wrong.

And I read loads of PC gamers saying they wouldn't buy Modern Warfare 2 when it dropped dedicated servers :rolleyes: I wouldn't trust most gamers as far as I could throw them with stuff like this.
    both MS and Sony lose money on every console they make and while it had added value previously (MS online for gaming, Blue ray player etc.) with the move to PC architecture they lost the last things making the consoles unique in terms of hardware.

While this was true at the start of the last generation, I don't believe this is true with the current one. The consoles are both selling at least at cost price. Besides, even when they did lost money on the consoles, they were clearly making up the difference with intellectual property. Why else would Sony and Microsoft spend 20 and 15 years (respectively) in this industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Consoles aren't necessarily about unique hardware though, they're about providing a consistent, trouble free gaming platform that provides the exact same experience across the board.

The point of them is really to allow developers to focus on a specific piece of hardware and to allow end-users to just plug it in and play, without worrying about compatibility or frame rates. Everything else is just marketing.

C14N wrote: »
    Well previously it was mostly the same console with mostly the same games and one was 25% more expensive than the other. Now it's mostly the same console with mostly the same games at the same price, so yes, I'd easily imagine sales will pick up. Microsoft have home advantage in the US too, Xbox has traditionally done a lot better there than anywhere else.

You don't seriously think it's game over and Sony have won it already do you?

No but it will take more than a kinectless SKU to start outselling the PS4. In a month where it had a hugely hyped game release and bundled for free with every console, along with a 50$ price drop it was still outsold by the ps4.

If they kept kinect and cut the price by 100$ then maybe but until they release a game like halo 5 they have no chance. SOny is hammering MS right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We're all going a little off topic here to something more suited to the PS4/One thread. It's hard not to mention that since the WiiU is part of the same gen but try to keep it to a minimum.

Advertisement