Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think the Gamepad defines the WiiU in a much bigger way than the Kinect ever did.
    The only way they'd release a non Gamepad version of the WiiU is if they produced a way to link the 3DS or new handheld to act as a proxy of the Gamepad. I don't think that's on the cards right now, despite the inevitable sales such a thing would produce.

I think that they are releasing a version of the WiiU without the gamepad for emerging markets. I doubt very much that it'll replace the current WiiU. I'm not even sure that it'll be sold over here.
    Either that or they've found some other way of bringing the cost of the WiiU down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think that they are releasing a version of the WiiU without the gamepad for emerging markets. I doubt very much that it'll replace the current WiiU. I'm not even sure that it'll be sold over here.
    Either that or they've found some other way of bringing the cost of the WiiU down.

Any links to that.
    It'd interesting to read it.

Honestly I hope we see something interesting this E3 for Nintendo.
    So much promise there with some great titles already out there.
    We know Zelda is on the way, so what can they shock us with?
    I don't know but I can't wait to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Any links to that.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5693822/nintendo-release-new-consoles-in-2015

I think I posted it before, but vitriol swept it away. It's not really fully concrete yet, but seems like a good move, particularly as China has lifted their console ban.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They're looking at emerging countries but no real concrete plans yet I think. I'd be more inclined to think it's a cut down wii rather than wiiu like iQue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-to-launch-new-console-not-the-wii-u-or-3ds-in-emerging-markets/1100-6419501/
    Nintendo to launch new console (not the Wii U or 3DS) in "emerging markets"
    President Satoru Iwata says new hardware and software for markets potentially including China could roll out as early as next year.

Nintendo will launch a new console, not the Wii U or 3DS, in "emerging markets" as early as next year, president Satoru Iwata has revealed. Speaking with Reuters, Iwata said Nintendo will develop not only a new console, but new games as well, aimed at lower-income consumers and those with less gaming experience than people from developed countries.

"It would be difficult to enter those markets if we didn't create something new... For the mass market you need to provide something that most of the middle class can afford," Iwata said.

He wouldn't discuss specifics about Nintendo's new hardware or provide a list of countries where it will be sold, saying only that Nintendo plans to tap into "emerging markets" where video games are not yet commonplace.

Iwata went on to say that China has significant potential for gaming (there are more gamers there than the entire US population), but explained that there are a number of challenges as well.

"We think the Chinese market has a lot of potential, but I don't think the lifting of the ban has solved all of the difficulties in entering it," Iwata said. "We need to study it more."

One thing is clear, Nintendo is not going to follow the approach of Microsoft, which plans to launch the Xbox One in China this September. "For us, Microsoft's approach wouldn't work," Iwata said. China lifted its decade-long ban on consoles earlier this year, and just recently disclosed its censorship rules for games sold in the country.

The move comes as Nintendo's latest home console, the Wii U, is struggling to find its footing, having sold only 6.17 million units to date. The console continues to have a negative impact on Nintendo's financial performance, the Japanese game giant said earlier this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could be something closer to a mobile device considering how massive that market is in Asia and particularly china. I wouldn't be surprised if they create a Chinese dev studio to develop for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Still haven't put much time into my Wii U yet, are there any games on the horizon worth looking into ?

Really hope we see some Zelda at E3. Its the only console IP that is worth buying a console (For me), i'd say they remote will be pretty awesome for it too.
    Any links to that.

Pokemon U.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i know my answer is probably in the thread , but it is very long and i have not being following it. is the wii u worth buying ? i see it on amazon with mario kart 8 for £230. i do enjoy mario games, and zelda of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

2smiggy wrote: »
    i know my answer is probably in the thread , but it is very long and i have not being following it. is the wii u worth buying ? i see it on amazon with mario kart 8 for £230. i do enjoy mario games, and zelda of course

Nintendo fans will say yes, non nintendo fans will say no. If you like Nintendo games you should be fine with it considering there would be a nice backlog of games to keep you happy and mk8 coming out soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

and there's the problem.
    You don't have to be a "fan" to enjoy Nintendo games.
    They are simply good and well worth playing.
    Just as you don't have to be a Sony or MS "fan" to buy their consoles.

And in answer to your question, its well worth picking one up but you might like to wait and see if a price drop is announced in a couple of weeks.
    Preowned is also a good way to go and save some money.

• Advertisement

There's also a few on Adverts that seem to be brand new or in perfect condition.
    Worth putting in a bid and seeing if it's accepted.
    I saw one or two for sale with a few games, and a couple of brand new ones too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

I think Nintendo should shift away from hardware altogether and focus primarily on games like Sega has done. Sometimes it's best to know just when it's time to bow out and perhaps this is the perfect time. I loved Nintendo. The original NES was my first console, stayed loyal to them all throughout my youth - SNES, N64, Gamecube etc. But it's blatantly obvious that Sony and Microsoft hold the market share of the console scene these days.

I just feel Nintendo could give us a lot more if they focused all their resources on putting Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Donkey Kong etc on mobile devices and XB1/PS4/PC. There's not a doubt in my mind Mario Kart would fly off the shelves if it was available on the other consoles.

4Dlolz wrote: »
    I think Nintendo should shift away from hardware altogether and focus primarily on games like Sega has done. Sometimes it's best to know just when it's time to bow out and perhaps this is the perfect time. I loved Nintendo. The original NES was my first console, stayed loyal to them all throughout my youth - SNES, N64, Gamecube etc. But it's blatantly obvious that Sony and Microsoft hold the market share of the console scene these days.

I just feel Nintendo could give us a lot more if they focused all their resources on putting Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Donkey Kong etc on mobile devices and XB1/PS4/PC. There's not a doubt in my mind Mario Kart would fly off the shelves if it was available on the other consoles.

I don't agree with any of that..

But this..
    I just feel Nintendo could give us a lot more if they focused all their resources on putting Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Donkey Kong etc on mobile devices and XB1/PS4/PC..

Ugh... :(

Thank God it's not going to happen.
    I think it's also a very lazy, defeatist way of thinking.

And there's n numerous reasons why Nintendo won't be doing that and why they shouldn't.

It will cheapen their brands and ips which will lose a huge amount of value. Also they will be making significantly less money selling games as a third party than as a first party. Their sales will be lower and then they have to factor in publishers taking the vast majority of their profits.

Really, going third party is the worst thing Nintendo could considering they aren't anywhere near the financial dire straits that Sega were in. When they get to that point it's time to start thinking about that but when Sega did that they pretty much kissed away ever being in a position to make the profits they made as a hardware manufacturer and reduced the value of all the brands they owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I would not want any of the 3 consoles makers to bow out or go third party , it weakens Competition and its needs for everyone to be at their best. There is no point wanting someone to go third party, you can very easily get into bad habits that way then all of a sudden not bother publishing anything at all.

Lets be honest with ourselves here , nintendo biggest and only issue is the relationship with third party and not due to lack of interest. Nintendo makes a hell of alot of games problem is gaps have gotten too big now waiting for releases for people to justify purchasing the console and nintendo seems to fix this problem by bringing their handheld and consoles guys together and maybe means that games you have for your handheld will work on your console and vice versa.

If you look at wii u attach rate its quite impressive , it shows people are still buying and want to buy games for the platform just nintendo needs to do a better job on delivering the games to their consumerbase.

I would not want any of the 3 consoles makers to bow out or go third party , it weakens Competition and its needs for everyone to be at their best. There is no point wanting someone to go third party, you can very easily get into bad habits that way then all of a sudden not bother publishing anything at all.

Lets be honest with ourselves here , nintendo biggest and only issue is the relationship with third party and not due to lack of interest. Nintendo makes a hell of alot of games problem is gaps have gotten too big now waiting for releases for people to justify purchasing the console and nintendo seems to fix this problem by bringing their handheld and consoles guys together and maybe means that games you have for your handheld will work on your console and vice versa.

If you look at wii u attach rate its quite impressive , it shows people are still buying and want to buy games for the platform just nintendo needs to do a better job on delivering the games to their consumerbase.

The attach rate is nothing special. The most hardcore of nintendo fans have bought into the wii u so it's no shock that they're buying a lot of games for it.

and there's the problem.
    You don't have to be a "fan" to enjoy Nintendo games.
    They are simply good and well worth playing.
    Just as you don't have to be a Sony or MS "fan" to buy their consoles.

And in answer to your question, its well worth picking one up but you might like to wait and see if a price drop is announced in a couple of weeks.
    Preowned is also a good way to go and save some money.

Nintendo's game selection does not appeal to a huge amount of people. Same with the other consoles. You can be a fan of games and a console can still not appeal to you

I'm with you on some of that. Grew up loving them to bits but I've moved with the times and want more adult type games whether it be gta, shooting games or horror games. Nintendo haven't moved with the times and still rely on outdated franchises.

If sony's main games were still spyro, crash bandicoot, sly cooper, twisted metal etc I'd not be buying their console.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The attach rate is nothing special. The most hardcore of nintendo fans have bought into the wii u so it's no shock that they're buying a lot of games for it.

I would dispute that. I would say most Nintendo fans haven't gotten it yet.

I have a gameboy, gameboy sp, snes, 64, cube, wii, DS, and 3DS. If somebody wanted to categorize me as a fanboy, I wouldn't argue with them. Yet I don't own a Wii U yet. I was waiting and I'll be picking mine up next week when Mario kart is out.

I think there will be a big up turn in wii U sales over the next six months.....from Nintendo fans just waiting for the deal to get a little sweeter.

Allyall wrote: »
    I don't agree with any of that..

But this..

Ugh... :(

Thank God it's not going to happen.
    I think it's also a very lazy, defeatist way of thinking.

How is it a defeatist attitude? This is not a football match - Nintendo are a company that neither you nor I work for....so who cares about them?! If they hit the jackpot tomorrow neither of us would see a red cent. Let's be realistic here, it's a business and the business model is not working. They have to change it.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And there's n numerous reasons why Nintendo won't be doing that and why they shouldn't.

It will cheapen their brands and ips which will lose a huge amount of value. Also they will be making significantly less money selling games as a third party than as a first party. Their sales will be lower and then they have to factor in publishers taking the vast majority of their profits.

Really, going third party is the worst thing Nintendo could considering they aren't anywhere near the financial dire straits that Sega were in. When they get to that point it's time to start thinking about that but when Sega did that they pretty much kissed away ever being in a position to make the profits they made as a hardware manufacturer and reduced the value of all the brands they owned.

Emotional aspects shouldn't be brought into this. This is a purely financial decision. How would their brands be lowered anymore than they are now? Is Nintendo gaining a bigger market share now than they had in the past or are they selling less now? If they're selling less now that means the brand is already in decline and all that's left to do is play the waiting game.

What have publishers got to do with this? Who publishes Nintendos products now? What would change if they started developing for Xbox/Playstation/PC and mobile devices?! Nothing.

I understand people have feelings towards Nintendo. We look towards them like we look at Disney. But this train is not stopping. The proof is in the pudding. They'll never come back. This is cut-throat business.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    I would dispute that. I would say most Nintendo fans haven't gotten it yet.

I have a gameboy, gameboy sp, snes, 64, cube, wii, DS, and 3DS. If somebody wanted to categorize me as a fanboy, I wouldn't argue with them. Yet I don't own a Wii U yet. I was waiting and I'll be picking mine up next week when Mario kart is out.

I think there will be a big up turn in wii U sales over the next six months.....from Nintendo fans just waiting for the deal to get a little sweeter.

That's just daft. It's will only have sold 7 million after 2 years on the market and you're telling me that most harcore fans haven't got it. Just the casual wii fit/sports crowd?

How is it a defeatist attitude? This is not a football match - Nintendo are a company that neither you nor I work for....so who cares about them?! If they hit the jackpot tomorrow neither of us would see a red cent. Let's be realistic here, it's a business and the business model is not working. They have to change it.

Emotional aspects shouldn't be brought into this. This is a purely financial decision. How would their brands be lowered anymore than they are now? Is Nintendo gaining a bigger market share now than they had in the past or are they selling less now? If they're selling less now that means the brand is already in decline and all that's left to do is play the waiting game.

What have publishers got to do with this? Who publishes Nintendos products now? What would change if they started developing for Xbox/Playstation/PC and mobile devices?! Nothing.

I understand people have feelings towards Nintendo. We look towards them like we look at Disney. But this train is not stopping. The proof is in the pudding. They'll never come back. This is cut-throat business.

I can see them going 3rd party. They'd be making a hell of a lot more money right now if they were. ANdi t's hard to debate it on here because most replies are from big nintendo fans.

I can see them going 3rd party. They'd be making a hell of a lot more money right now if they were. ANdi t's hard to debate it on here because most replies are from big nintendo fans.

Yeah.

I love Mario and I'm a grown man ffs. There's nobody more than me that would gladly go and buy all the Mario games tomorrow if they were available on PC. Revisiting your childhood is fantastic! :D

But I'd be damned if I'm going to pay THAT amount of money for a piece of garbage console that will be left to collect dust because their demographics don't include me and I'd wager a vast amount of people out there feel exactly like me. Nintendo are shooting themselves in the foot. I want them to succeed. Little do the hardcore Nintendo fans on here know they're sowing their own demise by failing to let go....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's just daft. It's will only have sold 7 million after 2 years on the market and you're telling me that most harcore fans haven't got it. Just the casual wii fit/sports crowd?

No I'm not telling you that. I never mentioned the Wii sports crowd. I'm telling you what I said. That I doubt most Nintendo fans have bought the console. You think 7 million is most Nintendo fans? Mario kart wii sold 35 million copies. Digest that for a moment.

The line up of games wasn't there in the same way that most people haven't bought an xbone or ps4. No killer titles. Most people stuck with the 360 and ps3 because the big games like cod and GTA were on them. And that will change as more and more games are released.

Now we have a proper Mario title, Mario kart, and soon smash brothers. Zelda will probably follow next year. People aren't stupid. They will wait until there are games too play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

as of january 2014

wiiu was
    Console Name Hardware Sales Software Sales Attach Rate
    Wii U 5.86 million 29.37 million 5.01

New Super Mario Bros. U 2012 2.15 Million
    Nintendo Land 2012 2.6 Million
    Super Mario 3D World 2013 1+ Million
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD 2013 1+ Million
    Wii Party U 2013 1+ Million

That is impressive and saying its not is just plain wrong , not even worth with the statment thats your opinion

that number only grew till now

Was not intending to get your back up. I have heard that option so many times, and Nintendo have stated it is something that they aren't even going to look at.
    All of the consoles would just become bland, and it would be very monotonous.
    Not for profit or to "Win a competition".
    Nintendo are taking a loss at the moment, and it would be very easy to jump ship, but then all of the work that they have done to this point, would be wiped out.
    They are well aware of the next gen technology, and I'm sure they have tons of ideas, whether it's a Virtual Reality kit, or Holograms etc.. Or something we have never even heard of.

Selling their games to mobile platforms and turning into a Zynga or Popcap games would be terrible.
    They have come up with original ideas for decades now, I can't see them giving up for a long time.

There are a thousand routes that they can take before they would or should even consider ceasing to make hardware and selling games (Which I don't think they will ever consider).

Kirby wrote: »
    No I'm not telling you that. I never mentioned the Wii sports crowd. I'm telling you what I said. That I doubt most Nintendo fans have bought the console. You think 7 million is most Nintendo fans? Mario kart wii sold 35 million copies. Digest that for a moment.

The line up of games wasn't there in the same way that most people haven't bought an xbone or ps4. No killer titles. Most people stuck with the 360 and ps3 because the big games like cod and GTA were on them. And that will change as more and more games are released.

Now we have a proper Mario title, Mario kart, and soon smash brothers. Zelda will probably follow next year. People aren't stupid. They will wait until there are games too play.

I'm talking about the hardcore nintendo fan and yes I think the majority of current buyers fall into that category.

All I said is that of the 6 million buyers most of them are likely to be the hardcore/ I never said there wasn't more hardcore fans that haven't bought the wii u. I don't see how you can disagree with what i said.

Was not intending to get your back up. I have heard that option so many times, and Nintendo have stated it is something that they aren't even going to look at.
    All of the consoles would just become bland, and it would be very monotonous.
    Not for profit or to "Win a competition".
    Nintendo are taking a loss at the moment, and it would be very easy to jump ship, but then all of the work that they have done to this point, would be wiped out.
    They are well aware of the next gen technology, and I'm sure they have tons of ideas, whether it's a Virtual Reality kit, or Holograms etc.. Or something we have never even heard of.

Selling their games to mobile platforms and turning into a Zynga or Popcap games would be terrible.
    They have come up with original ideas for decades now, I can't see them giving up for a long time.

There are a thousand routes that they can take before the would even consider ceasing to make hardware and selling games (Which I don't think they will ever consider).

I'm sorry but they haven't come up with original ideas for years now. all their wii ideas were used previously by various companies. Very few companies come up with original ideas. They take other peoples ideas and make them better.

I'm sorry but they haven't come up with original ideas for years now. all their wii ideas were used previously by various companies. Very few companies come up with original ideas. They take other peoples ideas and make them better.

Maybe poor choice of words, but I meant more along the lines of original consoles.

• Advertisement

Maybe poor choice of words, but I meant more along the lines of original consoles.

The problem is that the kids (including my childhood) that initially remember Mario have all grown up now. I am big, hairy and my balls have dropped. What the F entertainment would an individual such as myself get from following a plumber across some cartoon land to rescue princess 702345234 now?!

When I was ten I was playing Mario. The kids these days are playing Call of Duty. The world has changed but Nintendo have failed to move with the times and they're paying for it.

The Wii U is a mickey mouse console from a specification standpoint and yet they're charging 300 quid for it along with a game. FECK THAT! That's in the same ballpark as PS4/XB1. What on earth would a consumer be doing making a purchase such as that?!

Nintendo need to seriously take a look at themselves and re-evaluate their business going forward.

Advertisement