Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U / Nintendo general news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I was just about to say, this is just Nintendo giving people an option.
    As far as I know Sony or Microsoft don't give the option to use Dualshock 3/360 controller on their new machines, let alone controllers from 2 generations ago. Would be great if we could then use a Dualshock 3 as second controller on PS4.

And that wasn't meant as a dig at Sony or MS. Just pointing out that the more controller options there are, the more money Nintendo save their customers who already have controllers from previous gens.

Now when can we use our NES controllers or hook up our Game&Watch? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Now when can we use our NES controllers or hook up our Game&Watch? :)

You called?
    Here you go linky dink, an adapter that will let you use your NES or SNES controllers on your Wii, in Pro controller mode, and hence on your WiiU as well!
    Mad but there you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Does anyone know why this is? I mean the signal travels at light speed either way, so I don't get where the lag comes from. Is it just due to electromagnetic interference?

Processing the wireless signal (sending and recieving). interference from other wireless devices and household appliances, lack of a true constant connection (wireless frequency plays a part)

its not just one thing its a hundred small things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

NTMK wrote: »
    Processing the wireless signal (sending and recieving). interference from other wireless devices and household appliances, lack of a true constant connection (wireless frequency plays a part)

its not just one thing its a hundred small things

It just occurred to me that wireless devices probably don't transmit and receive constantly as it would eat battery. I suspect they might poll a hundred (or some amount of) times per second instead, which would explain part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Sure just give them back your D-pads and analogue sticks, wouldn't want to be using their innovations like... :pac: :D

If Nintendo had invented them.. sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They invented the D pad and introduced the first modern analogue stick into console gaming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Perfection is...

GameCube_Analog_Stick.jpg

Sorry, that's a bit NSFW.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's definitely something, er... nippley about that photo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Perfection is...

Sorry, that's a bit NSFW.

Concave > Convex for sticks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Keno wrote: »
    Concave > Convex for sticks imo.

Yeah I use the original PS1 analog pad a lot and there's something I find more comfortable about concave ones.

PS1_Dual_Analog_with_Box.jpg

I didn't have an n64 or Gamecube on release, but whenever I played my friends ones, I always found my thumb slipping off more than it should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's definitely something, er... nippley about that photo :pac:

At least he didn't post the c-stick or it would've had a censor bar over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I use the original PS1 analog pad a lot and there's something I find more comfortable about concave ones.

PS1_Dual_Analog_with_Box.jpg

I didn't have an n64 or Gamecube on release, but whenever I played my friends ones, I always found my thumb slipping off more than it should have.

Convex all the way for me, but I appreciate that some people are wrong have different tastes. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Every single thing Nintendo has done since the inception of the Wii U has been amateur at best.

Failure after failure after failure.

Knew the console was fucked as soon as the release info came out, only slightly more powerful than ps3/xbox 360 that were out at the time, with much more powerful systems on the horizon. They had a chance with the touch screen controller ie. make it something sleek, desirable and comparable with the rise and rise of tablet gaming. But they made something like I would have had the idea for a drawing in technology class at school, on a lazy day.

That gamecube controller announcement really is laughable, lets bring out an adapter for a controller that is 10+ old.

"didn't try hard enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

weemcd wrote: »
    Every single thing Nintendo has done since the inception of the Wii U has been amateur at best.

Failure after failure after failure.

Knew the console was fucked as soon as the release info came out, only slightly more powerful than ps3/xbox 360 that were out at the time, with much more powerful systems on the horizon. They had a chance with the touch screen controller ie. make it something sleek, desirable and comparable with the rise and rise of tablet gaming. But they made something like I would have had the idea for a drawing in technology class at school, on a lazy day.

That gamecube controller announcement really is laughable, lets bring out an adapter for a controller that is 10+ old.

"didn't try hard enough"

It's for the Smash Brothers community and is a great move from Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It's for the Smash Brothers community and is a great move from Nintendo.
    You know a company is on shaky ground when a controller adaptor is big hype though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You know a company is on shaky ground when a controller adaptor is big hype though...

It's not really though. The who,e sensationalist YouTube crowd are just blowing it out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Depends on how you view things really, the chance to use my wavebird controllers on a Wii U playing Windwaker HD is great, Mario Kart 8 will be awesome with those superb trigger buttons on the Gamecube controller, and as already mentioned the Gamecube pad will work great with Smash Bros too.

It's a big hype because (a) it's such a great controller, and (b) the Smash Bros community are die hards who love the GameCube controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd be happy if they did the same on PS4, to allow PS3 controllers so I could have 4 player Towerfall.

Surely this announcement will make the people who want it happy. And the people that don't want it... don't worry about it.

Feelin' that MK8 bite now, but my laptop went titzup and needs replacing, so no Wii U on the horizon for me anytime soon.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd be happy if they did the same on PS4, to allow PS3 controllers so I could have 4 player Towerfall.

Surely this announcement will make the people who want it happy. And the people that don't want it... don't worry about it.

Feelin' that MK8 bite now, but my laptop went titzup and needs replacing, so no Wii U on the horizon for me anytime soon.

I bought a car last week so no WiiU for me either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

My God guys, would you sort out your prioities?!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I could say the same thing about re releasing a game thats not even a year old on a next gen game that has no games cough cough * the last of us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I could say the same thing about re releasing a game thats not even a year old on a next gen game that has no games cough cough * the last of us

5c55a202.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Huh? I don't even have a PS3... that is the most childish Nintendo fanboy remark I've seen since the 90's when it actually mattered, lol!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And Nintendo have proven themselves far above re-releasing games to flesh out release schedules during the fallow first years of a console's lifespan and before the true AAA titles arrive.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and Wind Waker to play.

Huh? I don't even have a PS3... that is the most childish Nintendo fanboy remark I've seen since the 90's when it actually mattered, lol!

I am hardly a nintendo fan let alone fanboy , but it exactly proved my point , one stupid remark like the other , how can another option possibly leave a shakey ground over a controller when its another optional way of playing a game ?

Is the pc gaming in crysis aswell because you can play games 450 different ways ? No I didnt think so

And Nintendo have proven themselves far above re-releasing games to flesh out release schedules during the fallow first years of a console's lifespan and before the true AAA titles arrive.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and Wind Waker to play.

Oh yeah its obviously the same thing of re releasing games that are 15-20 years old games like re releasing a game that barely a year old and calling re mastered and people gladly paying 70 quid for it.

But pay for it for all you want but forgive me for reading stupid comments on this thread from people who think their business men near their laptops and desktops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

So Nintendo took a long, hard look at the PS4 and Xbox One controllers. With Smash Bros and other controller intensive games on the way, they needed something robust and adaptable to hardcore play. They spent millions on R&D to develop a bigger, better, stronger alternative to their competitors.

What did they come up with? A Gamecube controller adapter for the Wii U:
    https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/472076848382607361

Frankly, I can't fault the solution (yes, I am of the opinion that the GC controller is basically perfect).
    Why didn't they put GameCube ports in the wii u to begin with? Even if it didn't play the games I'd still prefer to play mario kart and smash bros with a proper controller.

Oh yeah its obviously the same thing of re releasing games that are 15-20 years old games like re releasing a game that barely a year old and calling re mastered and people gladly paying 70 quid for it.

I actually think there's more justification for re-releasing a game at full price when it's still considered a relatively 'premium' title. I have no intention of buying it whatsoever having played the original, but then for people who never played it before it's not a bad deal at all for a definitely improved version of a great game - and it's ridiculous these days to pay 70 euro for any title when they're all available significantly cheaper with a bare minimum of shopping around :)

Frankly, I find Nintendo's method of re-releases a bit cheeky - paying full retail price for a fifteen year old game doesn't at all appeal to me, especially since other companies have released strong remakes digitally at a much more attractive initial price point (see the Team Ico ones or the MGS re-releases, or indeed many PC efforts). I'm not going to buy Last of Us PS4, but then I didn't buy Ocarina of Time 3DS either.
    But pay for it for all you want but forgive me for reading stupid comments on this thread from people who think their business men near their laptops and desktops.

I'd strongly disagree with the claims that a GC controller adapter is some sort of reprehensible indicator of complete creative or commercial bankruptcy or collapse - more a nice little niche product that I happily welcome. But your rebuttal argument was just as silly, which I think you admit yourself :)

• Advertisement

I actually think there's more justification for re-releasing a game at full price when it's still considered a relatively 'premium' title. I have no intention of buying it whatsoever having played the original, but then for people who never played it before it's not a bad deal at all for a definitely improved version of a great game - especially since it's ridiculous these days to pay 70 euro for any title :)

Frankly, I find Nintendo's method of re-releases a bit cheeky - paying full retail price for a fifteen year old game doesn't at all appeal to me, especially since other companies have released strong remakes digitally at a much more attractive price point (see the Team Ico ones or the MGS re-releases). I'm not going to buy Last of Us PS4, but then I didn't buy Ocarina of Time 3DS either.

I'd strongly disagree with the claims that a GC controller is some sort of indicator of complete creative or commercial bankruptcy or collapse. But your rebuttal argument was just as silly, which I think you admit yourself :)

It was basically the point I was trying to make , I would not of bought the likes of oot , wind waker or other nintendo remakes if I had play them before . The response was suppose to be silly to tackle the other silly comment since this thread is 90% nonsense.

I could care less about the brand or the plastic box at the end of day and the games soley matter :)

Advertisement