Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Faulty

Options
  • 17-01-2014 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought a HP 23xi HDMI monitor on the 18th of December from Currys Pc world for my father for an xmas gift.

He only got around to opening it this week when we noticed a vertical white faded line on each side of the screen (from day one), especially noticable on the Netflix app on Windows 8 or playing dvds.

I have tried all the settings on the monitor and pc and the lines are still there. Its a fault at this stage me thinks.

It cost €179.99 - can I expect a full refund when I bring it in and tell them its faulty?

It was paid for by gift card and partial payment with visa card (the gift card was issued because of another faulty acer monitor i had to return - can I expect a refund to my card? I really do not want to shop in Currys again as they are atrocious IMO)

I am going into the store tomorrow, so all info and advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

Sam Mac wrote: »

It cost €179.99 - can I expect a full refund when I bring it in and tell them its faulty?

'No' is the short answer.

You can expect to be offered one of three resolutions by the seller:

Repair, Replacement or Refund.

I would expect that you will be offered either a repair or replacement - very very slim chance of a full refund.

By offering any of the three the seller is behaving in accordance with their obligations, it is up to you to either accept this offer or reject it

Should you reject the offer your next course of action would be to file a Small Claims Court application. However, should the seller's original offer be deemed reasonable by the court you will be back at square one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

whippet wrote: »
    'No' is the short answer.

You can expect to be offered one of three resolutions by the seller:

Repair, Replacement or Refund.

I would expect that you will be offered either a repair or replacement - very very slim chance of a full refund.

By offering any of the three the seller is behaving in accordance with their obligations, it is up to you to either accept this offer or reject it

Should you reject the offer your next course of action would be to file a Small Claims Court application. However, should the seller's original offer be deemed reasonable by the court you will be back at square one.

And if they have no stock of the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

And if they have no stock of the item?

They don't need stock for a repair .. But they may offer a refund

whippet wrote: »
    They don't need stock for a repair .. But they may offer a refund

I got a full refund via credit note. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I got a full refund via credit note. Happy days.

Actually, you are entitled to a refund via original method if payment. A credit note is not sufficient from a legal standpoint. However, if you are happy to accept it, then all is OK.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Actually, you are entitled to a refund via original method if payment. A credit note is not sufficient from a legal standpoint. However, if you are happy to accept it, then all is OK.

I paid by gift card so I was happy enough with a credit note. However the only reason I paid by gift card in the first place was because they gave me a refund via gift card for a monitor which was also faulty before this one!

Advertisement