Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westendorf

• 17-01-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

EEE! I'm off tomrw morning. Will update this thread with any relevant info I find along the way. Might be more town related, as I'm 28 weeks pregnant - so will be an observer more than a participant. But at least it means I'll be able to remember everything & let you know :)

We're flying to Munich, renting cars & staying in Hotel Jakobwirt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have a great time lucky duck.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

olaola wrote: »
    . But at least it means I'll be able to remember everything & let you know :)

We're flying to Munich, renting cars & staying in Hotel Jakobwirt.

Don't some women suffer memory loss in pregnancy ;) have a great trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Heading there on 22nd February, so will await your reports with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Have a great time!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Have stayed at the Jakobwirt a couple of times. It's a nice hotel and the location is as central as you can get, although the town isn't exactly huge. The sisters who run it are nice and friendly. Make sure to check out the bar in the basement - I've forgotten the name, but it's run by a Scottish guy who is a great source of information.

The dutch ski school is worth checking out. You can't miss them - they're the huge, tall, young guys wearing Orange. Link here - http://www.snow-co.com. Our kids loved doing lessons with them - more so than with the older local instructors in other years.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

So far so good! On first look, the snow situation is a little scary, but the lads were saying that the pistes are in surprisingly good nick. Best to get the majority of your skiing done pre lunch it seems. Forecast is due to get colder tomrw, could feel it today out & about. Have a few hikes planned while the lads are skiing.
    Cafe Elizabeth had AMAZING cakes!!
    Town is small, but big enough to keep you going. Everyone so far very friendly - manly Dutch & Irish here. Haven't found 'the' après ski yet...
    And on a bad note, there's smoking everywhere (except our hotel bar) so my hair & ski jacket are stinkin :(

Beer prices are surprisingly reasonable but they don't have proper flugerls! They're some bottled yokes.

Might hop on a train to Kitz tomrw after my morning of planned activities!

Oh, the bars we've been to so far:
    Kibo, nice spot in the centre. Nothing crazy.
    The Village Pub: Friendly sports bar kind of vibe.
    There's a place beside the crazy golf at the bottom of the slopes. Bit of an après ski vibe. Very cheap, nice staff.
    Ins Moment under the Jakobwirt: only non-smoking place in town. Older crowd, but a bit of craic.
    The lads went to Wunderbar & Mosquito last night, said they were wedged. Have to go there yet myself! Karat is also on the list. We're gonna try Gary's (Gerry's?) tomrw for après.

Went for lunch at the top of the Alpenrosebahn today. Nice hut, typical Austrian fare - self service and restaurant.

zagmund wrote: »
    Make sure to check out the bar in the basement - I've forgotten the name, but it's run by a Scottish guy who is a great source of information.
    z

Campbell is the Scotish guy who runs the bar, I think that's his first name. Nice place (speaking as one of the "older" crowd clearly :o ) Not into the noisy places at this stage. Usually head to Campbells or Fein Sinn. The Kibo is not too bad either, or the Village bar. We usually stay in the Hotel next door, the Post. It's not quite as nice as the Jacobwirt, but it does the job. Fall out the door onto the nursery slopes. Aahhh. Roll on the 22nd Feb.

Whats the drive time Munchen - Westendorf?

vic - made it from westendorf to munich airport in around 90 mins last saturday, all via motorway, the taxi guy was bombing it..
    usually, in other direction, on a saturday in january, it can take between 2-2.5 hrs depending on traffic, by taxi too.
    a friend lives in southern munich and he made it down in 90 mins on the friday.

olaola - worth going to the Karat for apres ski dutch style, just for a look,, a bit crazy. the staff there are wearing laderhozen(?) this year also.

the Sonnalm just at/slightly above the middle station is a nice place to eat - and you can watch people coming down the slope afterwards,, saw a bad collision one day, so might just stick to inside in future - which i think is the nicest decor of the restaurants around westendorf.

i'd also say, last week was the quietest we'd seen the place i years

• Advertisement

Went to Gerry's for après today. Bit of craic, exclusively Dutch! All the music, the DJ etc was all Dutch. But a bit of fun.

Might hit Karat on Weds, going to Kitz tomrw and will hit the après there.

Getting fond of Campbell's & the absence of smoke there. And it's just downstairs :)

Went on a hike organised by the tourist office today, was really enjoyable! Will go on another Thurs I think.

Went to Gerry's for après today. Bit of craic, exclusively Dutch! All the music, the DJ etc was all Dutch. But a bit of fun.

Might hit Karat on Weds, going to Kitz tomrw and will hit the après there.

Getting fond of Campbell's & the absence of smoke there. And it's just downstairs :)

Went on a hike organised by the tourist office today, was really enjoyable! Will go on another Thurs I think.

Can you take a direct train Westendorf to Kitzbuhel or is there a change??

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can you take a direct train Westendorf to Kitzbuhel or is there a change??

It's direct, about 15 mins or so. Also a few buses a day, which take about 25 mins. Might be a better option depending on where you're staying.

5cm here last night, 5cm today & the cannons should be on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Nice guy that. He works as an electrician there during the summer.
    Do they still have the "press the crocodiles tooth" game there?
    I brought it over for him as his previous one had been smashed deliberately by an Irish guy.

loobylou wrote: »
    Do they still have the "press the crocodiles tooth" game there?
    I brought it over for him as his previous one had been smashed deliberately by an Irish guy.
    Not sure! Will have a look :)

Snowing again today, the slopes look lovely!!

How are you finding it off the slopes Olaola? Sounds like you're making your own fun, but is ski-envy kicking in?! i'd say your blood levels are 80% hot chocolate by now lol ;-)

Hi Fanny :) It's not so bad!! I've another hike planned for tomrw, which is up the mountain, so I'm getting the feel of being on the slopes. And I've been meeting the lads for lunch up in some nice alms. Which also lessens the 'missing out' vibe.

Après ski is only fun for so long when you're sober. I tend to slip away and head back to the hotel for a splash around the pool. I think my blood is approx 40% hot chocolate at this stage! There's a few huts within walking distance of the village on the bottom of the slopes so I popped up to Bruchstall (where I'm on wifi atm!) for a solo lunch. Will toddle back to the village for a cake in a bit & it won't be too long before the group start coming back.

Aww that sounds lovely!! And baby is getting its first taste of mountain life, lol!! I hope you're listening out for names- Helmut? Grundfrieda?! Soo many lovely Alpine names to choose from ;-)

fannymagee wrote: »
    Aww that sounds lovely!! And baby is getting its first taste of mountain life, lol!! I hope you're listening out for names- Helmut? Grundfrieda?! Soo many lovely Alpine names to choose from ;-)

Erm... Might put those names on the list. At the further end ;)
    It's going to be so strange to look back at the bump on top of the mountain after the baby has been born!! Already planning what to do next Jan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Glad you are managing to keep yourself busy, its great just being in the mountains though isnt it even if you are not skiing. Enjoy the last few days!

Spent all day hiking today. Up to Choralpe & over to Talkaser. Lunch in Sonnenalm and then walked down to the village. Fab weather. Pistes were empty!! Am toying with the idea of snowshoeing tomrw. Supposed to be freezing. Bucketing down snow here at the moment :)

5cm here last night, 5cm today & the cannons should be on!

And how much snow fell?:D:D

Aww sounds beautiful- how are you still awake though??! And how did the guys get on in Soll? Did they decide on pizza or chicken in the end?! These are serious decisions, lol!! ;-)

Aww sounds beautiful- how are you still awake though??! And how did the guys get on in Soll? Did they decide on pizza or chicken in the end?! These are serious decisions, lol!! ;-)

I'm having naps after après ski, so am feeling nice & rested.
    I'm not sure actually!! But thanks for your rec. I think they went to one of them :)

Absolutely tipping down today. Looking out my window and it's nearly whiteout in the village. Meeting the whole gang up the mountain for an extended lunch. Can't wait to get up & out into this fresh snow!

Bucketing down snow here at the moment :)

Great to hear. This thread is seriously getting me in the mood for 22 Feb. Even just reading the names, Campbells, Bruchstall, Choralpe, Talkaser. Nearly feel like I'm back there already. :)

vicwatson wrote: »
    And how much snow fell?:D:D

Moxy loads & it's still coming down!!

Wah! Just getting over my 'I'm back home' depression... Will muster up the gumption to write a little review of what we thought of the place soon.

Some serious jealousy of anyone going to the SkiWelt this week- LOADS OF SCHNEE!

Awww, welcome home!! It's always nice to se your own bed though, right?! :-)

• Advertisement

Awww, welcome home!! It's always nice to se your own bed though, right?! :-)

:) This is true, and back to the dog. We usually bring her on holidays, unless we fly somewhere!

Here's some pics of last week - (the last 20 pics or so) http://instagram.com/orlamcdermott# Not many slope shots, lots of hot chocolate snaps :D

Aww wow, your photos are fabulous!! And I loved your peaceful slope shot, really beautiful... I love those snowy zen moments :-)

Aww wow, your photos are fabulous!! And I loved your peaceful slope shot, really beautiful... I love those snowy zen moments :-)

Thanks! It was so pristine, if I had my salopettes on I would have dived right in. The soft pillowey poofiness was so very inviting :)

Westendorf this morning :-)

image198.jpg

Ok so, will take direction from the Report Thread (will post an amended version there too)

1. Where and when you went.
    Westendorf 18th-25th Jan 2014

2. What you did there ski/board/blade.
    I didn't ski, as I was 7 months pregnant, but the gang all skied. I went to the tourist office and they had daily (free) activities for anyone who wasn't skiing. You just had to pay for any equipment rental (snow shoes/walking poles). I did a few hikes which were really enjoyable!

3. How were the conditions on/off piste.
    When we arrived it was green fields with a few white ribbons snaking down the mountain. By the time we left, loads of snow everywhere! But saying that, the lads were very impressed with how ski-able the pistes were despite the lack of snow. Anything under middlestation after lunch got quite slushy early in the week.

4. Are you beginner/intermed/advanced.
    Intermediate

5. What were the bars/restaurants like.
    We had half board in the hotel, but we ate out one night - a fondue at a mountain hut 'Zieplhof' which was really fantastic. It was recommended by my hiking guide!
    The food in our hotel, Hotel Jakobwirt, was by far the best we've had in an Austrian resort. It was the usual Tyrolean style, but it was of very high quality. Reports from others said there were good places to eat in the village. The mountain alms were quite typical, great value and very tasty. In particular the Sonnalm at the middlestation was very good. Everything was very reasonable, no beers were over €3.50 and the non-alcoholic versions were very palatable!

Apres ski was a bit quiet, and a lot of it was very Dutch-themed. I think my favourite was the Nagelhutte at the top of the babyslope.
    Gerry's just off the babyslope was exclusively Dutch, even all the music, the DJ and the staff were all from the Netherlands. Was a bit of craic, but when you go to Austria, you're kind of expecting the usual cheesy apres scene.

We ended up at the Dorfer at the end of the baby slope (opposite the ski pass kasse) a few times. More out of convenience than anything else.
    Kibo bar was nice, and we went to the Village Pub a few times too. The bar in Hotel Post usually has a bit of buzz, there was a sing-song the night we went in. Campbell's bar (Ins Moment) under our hotel was the only non-smoking bar in town. It's a nice spot, quiet enough but nice for a cold beer & bit of banter. There's a BIZARRE bowling alley behind Hotel Jakobwirt. Worth a look. It's a time warp.

I didn't personally make it to any of the nightclubs! But the lads said they were packed & you can find places to stay up until 4am if that's what you're looking for :)

One thing that we all found overwhelming (not just me as the non-drinker!) was the smoke in all the bars. My only theory was that they were just smaller than most bars we've been in Austria. But it was often the reason why we left a bar, as it just got too much. Take a second jacket if you don't want your ski jacket to stink the next morning!

6. Anything in particular to recommend about this resort.
    It's very reasonable, and it seems VERY family orientated. So if you were bringing your child for their early years it seems to be the place to go. The village is quite small, but it has everything you need really. Two supermarkets, bakery, pharmacy a few gift shops, cafes etc. So no matter where you are, you can walk to the chairlift at the baby slope & then ski over to the gondola if you're feeling lazy! It's near to airports, so you're about 2hrs (with traffic) from Munich, or less from Salzberg. You can get the train direct, BUT the station isn't really in the village. I'm not sure if it would be walkable with a large suitcase up the hill! So you might be better off getting the train to Worgl & then hopping on a bus which will leave you off smack bang in the village.

7. Any hidden gems you found nearby.
    (this is from the lads) while it is connected to the Ski Welt, it's on the edge, so it's a bit of a schlep to get to anywhere else. The Ki-West gondola was closed so the guys got a taxi to Kitzbuhel for a day. It's not that far and you could easily catch a bus or train. Red 7 in Brixen or blue 111 in Westendorf come highly recommended.

8. Was the population when you were there mostly Irish/Brits or mainland Europeans.
    LOADS of Dutch, some Danish and a good spattering of Irish. The Irish tend to stay in the hotels, so if you're not in an apartment you'll probably be in the majority in your accommodation.

9. Any other relevant comments, and whether you would go again.
    The locals are VERY friendly, everyone greets you with a 'Gruss Gott' - even the school kids walking to the bus! So there is a nice vibe around the village.
    Would we go again? Probably not, we did enjoy our holiday, and it's more of a case that there are resorts we prefer and would go back to those first. Saying that, I think we were the only first timers in our hotel. Everyone seems to come back every year and they all know each other, so that adds to the friendly atmosphere.
    We found the smoking overwhelming, it took away from our enjoyment of the bars. Wonder when Austria will get the finger out & ban it from pubs!

Was ki-west just closed for the day due to weather or something?

We found the links to other resorts pretty good - go over one mountain and you get to Kitzbuhel, over the other one and you're in Soll, the only walking required is across the footbridge at Brixen. You could keep going further and further, but you would need to be going very fast all day long to get back or else be getting a taxi or train back.

We've been to Westendorf a couple of times now, but we're going to Kitzbuhel this year for a change. I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to the change in scale between the towns. It's been a while since I've been in a resort where I *had* to get a bus.

The walk up from the train station is not something to be taken lightly after a flight and a couple of hours on a train and lugging suitcases. It's not impossible, but you would be better advised to get a taxi if there are any waiting there (doubtful to be honest) or let your hotel know your arrival time and get them to send a taxi for you. We have walked down that direction for an evening walk and it's fine - maybe 10 minutes, but the way back is all uphill so add in luggage, being tired, not knowing where your hotel is, etc . . . and you can see why it's not good. I think it cost us €4 or €5 (or less) when we booked a taxi from the hotel.

z

• Advertisement

It was closed all week, not sure why. Maybe the weather?
    We found the links to other resorts pretty good -

I think we're a bit spoiled!
    We've been to Westendorf a couple of times now, but we're going to Kitzbuhel this year for a change. I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to the change in scale between the towns. It's been a while since I've been in a resort where I *had* to get a bus.

The centre of town is really nice, and there's some great apres ski at the bottom of the gondola :) Where you staying?
    The walk up from the train station is not something to be taken lightly after a flight and a couple of hours on a train and lugging suitcases. It's not impossible, but you would be better advised to get a taxi if there are any waiting there (doubtful to be honest) or let your hotel know your arrival time and get them to send a taxi for you.
    z

Meant to say, we used Stefan's Taxis while we were there. Reliable & reasonable - handy if you're at the train station!
    http://www.westendorf.net/westendorftaxi/en/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Would we go again? Probably not, we did enjoy our holiday, and it's more of a case that there are resorts we prefer and would go back to those first.

Can I ask you which resorts you prefer and maybe why ?
    I'm tentatively planning next year's trip (can't go this year unfortunately) and leaning strongly towards Westendorf as its the only resort I've been to before (once), we'll all either be beginners or second timers and some will likely/possibly have a couple of kids with them (7-10 yrs old). For me the real attraction was the hotels being literally 50yards from the slopes, but we're open to other options, within reason. The one that's come up most in discussions is Saalbach, no idea why.
    Thanks !

Russman wrote: »
    Can I ask you which resorts you prefer and maybe why ?

Saalbach!! We love it, it's so perfectly located with so many options from the centre of village and all the runs back home with great skiing on tree lined pistes. Great mountain huts, very modern lift facilities, fun apres ski and it's quite reasonable. Transfer time isn't too long and the village is over 1000m (just about!) so the snow history is decent. The whole village (with good snow) is basically ski-in/ski-out.

The centre of town is really nice, and there's some great apres ski at the bottom of the gondola :) Where you staying?

http://www.westendorf.net/westendorftaxi/en/index.html

It's the Jagerwirt I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

We found the links to other resorts pretty good - go over one mountain and you get to Kitzbuhel, over the other one and you're in Soll, the only walking required is across the footbridge at Brixen. You could keep going further and further, but you would need to be going very fast all day long to get back or else be getting a taxi or train back.

The walk up from the train station is not something to be taken lightly after a flight and a couple of hours on a train and lugging suitcases. It's not impossible, but you would be better advised to get a taxi if there are any waiting there (doubtful to be honest) or let your hotel know your arrival time and get them to send a taxi for you. We have walked down that direction for an evening walk and it's fine - maybe 10 minutes, but the way back is all uphill so add in luggage, being tired, not knowing where your hotel is, etc . . . and you can see why it's not good. I think it cost us €4 or €5 (or less) when we booked a taxi from the hotel.

z

When are you going to Kitz. Its a smashing town If you can all ski you could get up early and ski all the way to pass turn and back some great reds and once off the gondela you will rarely que for a lift except at 1.00pm as all the germans start up after lunch. The streiff alm at the end of the baby slope is good craic and dont miss the londoner in the centre of town. If you are staying out of town the buses stop around 5.30pm soo you might need a taxi but they are not expensive about a tenner. If you do ski over to pass turn and are tired you can get a bus back. If bringing small kids with you the ski school do lunch for them for 9 euro and they hold onto them untill you get back as long as you dont take the piss.

Enjoy it we still havent made our mind up if we will go but still hoping.

• Advertisement

It's the Jagerwirt I think.

We stayed there in 2007! It is walkable to the gondola. Prob best to leave your gear in a locker at the bottom of the gondola, as it's a decent schlep.
    I walked down to have a look last week, just to see if I could remember it (the week was *very* hazy!) and it's not as far as I remembered.

We stayed there in 2007! It is walkable to the gondola. Prob best to leave your gear in a locker at the bottom of the gondola, as it's a decent schlep.
    I walked down to have a look last week, just to see if I could remember it (the week was *very* hazy!) and it's not as far as I remembered.

Great, thanks for that.

z

Saalbach!! We love it, it's so perfectly located with so many options from the centre of village and all the runs back home with great skiing on tree lined pistes. Great mountain huts, very modern lift facilities, fun apres ski and it's quite reasonable. Transfer time isn't too long and the village is over 1000m (just about!) so the snow history is decent. The whole village (with good snow) is basically ski-in/ski-out.

Thanks for that !
    Hmmm, decisions, decisions :)
    Loads of time anyway.

Heading to Westendorf on Saturday. Sixth time there. Just love the place. Haven't skied anywhere else and to be honest, certainly for the moment, have no great desire to. Something comforting about knowing the place so well, and I'm not advanced enough a skier to get all sniffy about the runs. They're plenty challenging enough for now.

Anyway, Hotel Post, here we come :D

Enjoy, Trashcan!! Hope you have a great week:-)

trashcan wrote: »
    Heading to Westendorf on Saturday. Sixth time there. Just love the place. Haven't skied anywhere else and to be honest, certainly for the moment, have no great desire to. Something comforting about knowing the place so well, and I'm not advanced enough a skier to get all sniffy about the runs. They're plenty challenging enough for now.

Anyway, Hotel Post, here we come :D

Enjoy! We walked in on a sing-song in the Post one of the evenings, looks like great craic!

The first time we stayed in the Post there was a large extended Irish family, one of who had brought a banjo. There were some lively sing songs in the bar that year!

So, got back last nght. Had a good week, but the conditions were the worst I've seen. Was ok at the top of the mountain, but the runs down to the village were poor. Got very slushy and bumpy in the afternoons, which I found difficult at my level. The village itself was pretty quiet too, So, not a vintage year, but never mind, there's always next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

trashcan wrote: »
    So, got back last nght. Had a good week, but the conditions were the worst I've seen. Was ok at the top of the mountain, but the runs down to the village were poor. Got very slushy and bumpy in the afternoons, which I found difficult at my level. The village itself was pretty quiet too, So, not a vintage year, but never mind, there's always next time.

That's disappointing. I stayed in Scheffau on the first week of feb and visited most of the skiwelt area. Westendorf was exactly as you described. Slush in he afternoon.

First or second week of Jan I went to Mayrhofen and spent most of that week up in Hintertux. Only went up the main gonadal in Mayrhofen on the last day. Snow conditions were much better than feb but not as good as last year.

Doesn't seem to have been a vintage (or even half vintage) snow year for Austria. Friends of mine are just back from Ski Welt and were talking about all the artificial snow. Hopefully the odds are good for a decent year next year, surely they can't have 2 bad ones back to back !!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement