Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stockholm marathon

Options
  • 17-01-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone's ever done this bad boy and can recommend (or advise against) it? I had been planning on Cork marathon on June 2 this year but circumstances may mean that it's not possible - Stockholm is on 31 May so could be an alternative.

Any advice on the marathon itself, the city, accommodation welcome :)

race website - http://www.stockholmmarathon.se/start/index.cfm?Lan_ID=3

Seems like a reasonably flat, scenic course - two lap affair, which i'm not fussed about really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Just wondering if anyone's ever done this bad boy and can recommend (or advise against) it? I had been planning on Cork marathon on June 2 this year but circumstances may mean that it's not possible - Stockholm is on 31 May so could be an alternative.

Any advice on the marathon itself, the city, accommodation welcome :)

race website - http://www.stockholmmarathon.se/start/index.cfm?Lan_ID=3

Seems like a reasonably flat, scenic course - two lap affair, which i'm not fussed about really.

Can't speak about the marathon but Stockholm itself is a great city to visit. Great food, probably the best museum in the world (a 16th century ship completely preserved inside a huge building.) Only drawback is like most Nordic countries can be a bit expensive…

• Registered Users Posts: 40 guysmiley

I did this marathon as my first in 2011. It's a really great race in a lovely city. It starts off just outside the old olympic stadium and does two laps in the city. The first lap is about 16km and the second completes the distance to finish inside the olympic stadium which is pretty cool. There are no particularly hard parts apart from the two passes over the Vasterbron bridge. As far as I remember we were treated to cheers from the Brazilian samba girls at the end of this bridge, I think they make it an annual visit. One thing about the marathon is that is sells fast, could already be sold out. Another thing is that it is very cramped for the first 10km. As a side note - This ended up being a good thing as I ended up doing a negative split without meaning to do so. At the time I was a bit peeved to be slowed down, but of all 3 marathons that I have done it was the only time that this happened for me and the fastest time that I have had.
    About accommodation I am not really sure. I was living there at the time. There are some hostels but you would need to book early especially for that weekend. Hotels can be completely booked also, and can be expensive. Transportation is good from outside the city so you could always book something outside, but it would really be best to stay in the city. It is definitely an expensive city but then so is Dublin.
    Best of luck, and book everything soon if you are serious about this. If you cannot get a marathon place then consider either the half in September if your main purpose is maybe to visit the city. Or even better than either the half and perhaps the marathon, have a look at the Lidingo Loppet in late September. This is a special race and one that I will get back for if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

guysmiley wrote: »
    I did this marathon as my first in 2011. It's a really great race in a lovely city. It starts off just outside the old olympic stadium and does two laps in the city. The first lap is about 16km and the second completes the distance to finish inside the olympic stadium which is pretty cool. There are no particularly hard parts apart from the two passes over the Vasterbron bridge. As far as I remember we were treated to cheers from the Brazilian samba girls at the end of this bridge, I think they make it an annual visit. One thing about the marathon is that is sells fast, could already be sold out. Another thing is that it is very cramped for the first 10km. As a side note - This ended up being a good thing as I ended up doing a negative split without meaning to do so. At the time I was a bit peeved to be slowed down, but of all 3 marathons that I have done it was the only time that this happened for me and the fastest time that I have had.
    About accommodation I am not really sure. I was living there at the time. There are some hostels but you would need to book early especially for that weekend. Hotels can be completely booked also, and can be expensive. Transportation is good from outside the city so you could always book something outside, but it would really be best to stay in the city. It is definitely an expensive city but then so is Dublin.
    Best of luck, and book everything soon if you are serious about this. If you cannot get a marathon place then consider either the half in September if your main purpose is maybe to visit the city. Or even better than either the half and perhaps the marathon, have a look at the Lidingo Loppet in late September. This is a special race and one that I will get back for if I can.

Thanks guysmiley, looking at the website last night there were just over 1,000 places left out of 21,500 so if i do decide to go for this (and at the moment i'm leaning towards yes) i'll try and book it all this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Strongly thinking about buying entry for this soon, works out well as it's on a Saturday and on the June Bank Holiday weekend, so would only need to take the Friday off work. Did you end up running it last year, ClashCityRocker?

Seem to be about 7,000 places left; http://www.stockholmmarathon.se/start/index.cfm?Lan_ID=3

I've got entry and flights sorted for this now anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Strongly thinking about buying entry for this soon, works out well as it's on a Saturday and on the June Bank Holiday weekend, so would only need to take the Friday off work. Did you end up running it last year, ClashCityRocker?

Seem to be about 7,000 places left; http://www.stockholmmarathon.se/start/index.cfm?Lan_ID=3

Sorry, could have sworn i replied to this at the time :confused: i didn't end up doing Stockholm in the end, did Cork instead.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Just out of curiosity is anyone else doing this? Or even better has anyone else done it?

I signed up for it a few weeks ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time but the nearer I get to it the more worried I get. Can anyone offer any words of encouragement (I'll settle for lies of that's anyone can offer)?

I am yeah! Got my starter pack in the post today. Flying into Arlanda on the Friday, back to Dublin on the Monday.

Is this your first marathon?

I am yeah! Got my starter pack in the post today. Flying into Arlanda on the Friday, back to Dublin on the Monday.

Is this your first marathon?

Thanks. My pack arrived in the post yesterday too. It became all too real when I found it on the porch (hence my panicked post :) )

Not my first one no, I did Dublin last year but my time was relatively poor (even by my low standards). Hoping for a bit better this time though (not world beating though, sub 5 hours and I'll be happy). Any ideas on how the course compares to Dublin? There seems to be 2 nasty climbs (well the same climb twice) but are they (much) worse than anything Dublin offers?

No idea actually, saw the elevation profile (probably just the same as yourself), but they don't look like long climbs. Have you got many long runs done? I've my last 20 mile run to do this weekend, then I'll just be tapering for the last few weeks.

If you've got your training done, you'll be grand. And if you haven't, don't push yourself and just take it easy (or as easy as you can in a marathon). It'd be too late to start on a plan that would have any real results now, and you might just injure yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

I ran this as my first marathon about ten years ago. I was based there for the summer with work.

Don't focus too much on the Vasterbron bridge, there is a short sharp ramp onto it but there after it's a long gradual climb and decent. On the first lap it comes early enough at 8km, and on the second lap your mindset should be that once your over it. its a flat last few KM's to the finish.

Good luck with the race

Thanks for the words of encouragement folks, I appreciate it. I won't lie I'm still sweating bullets but I'm a bit more confident that I'll finish it within 6 hours.

A bit of a general question I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with too - I inadvertently did 24 miles yesterday (I was only supposed to do 22 but I took a wrong turn and it was ages before i figured it out). The time was an almighty shambles but I'm planning on this being my last really long run until the marathon. Just curious how much should i do next weekend? Would 13 or 14 miles be too much? Also for mid week runs what would the maximum recommended distance to do in one "sitting"? Most of the training plans say to keep to under about 5 or 6 miles, does that seem right to the more seasoned runners out there?

Thanks again fo the advice folks i do appreciate it.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

There's a plan that can give you a rough idea, maybe. Basically, your training is done, so I'd agree you shouldn't really be doing much more distance runs at all. You'll only tire yourself out, your body needs to recover between now and the marathon itself (especially if you're doing 24 mile long runs!).

How long are you over in Sweden for? Where you staying?

I've a hostel booked for the Saturday and Sunday nights. Going over by myself, thought it'd be a bit of craic. Still haven't got somewhere on the Friday (night before the marahthon). Think I'll go Airbnb and get a full apartment, just so it's quiet/relaxed.

Cheers, thanks for this. The plan's similar to what I was working off but just wanted to be sure it was ok (it's hard to shake the feeling it's like an exam and that I should be cramming at the end). I don't know if you could call my 24 miles a "run" either shuffle along the pavement might be a more apt description!!

I'm heading over on the Friday but I've to come back on the Sunday. To be honest it's a bit a bit of a nuisance, Stockholm's supposed to be a lovely city so I'd have liked to stay for longer but unfortunately I need to be home for Monday (but i sppose if i didn't have that I'd have just signed up to do Cork ;) ). Saying that given my pace I'm sure I'll have seen enough of it by the time I leave!

I'm staying in some hotel near where the cruise ships dock, can't remember exactly what it's called (Ersta hotel, I think). It's not particularly close to the start/end line or glamorous looking for that matter but apparently it has a kitchenette (which i think consists of a microwave, fridge and a sink) and there's a Lidl around the corner so it should make being able to "right" food relatively easy.

3:46....woulda loved 3:40 (or even 3:45) but still a PB in absolutely miserable conditions.

How'd you get on murph?

3:46....woulda loved 3:40 (or even 3:45) but still a PB in absolutely miserable conditions.

How'd you get on murph?

Well done Dwayne.

4:52, I'm chuffed. I beat 5 hours and it's over 20 minutes off my Dublin time so even the weather couldn't dampen my spirits.

Conditions were horrendous, I honestly don't think I've ever been wetter. It's a bit of a shame really because it's a lovely course.

Advertisement