Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone found theyve been sold ill gotten goods?

• 17-01-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there, I'm currently in the market for a road bike so checking here, and usual sites until i get a chance to get to a shop.

however i found one that may have fit the bill, but i just can't help but feel its a bit dodgy so I'm not going ahead with it.

it lead me to question has anyone ever bought a bike or gear they later found belonged to someone else? Having had stuff stolen from me id be loathe to think i was on someone elses bike etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Turned down a Brompton in London once at Brick Lane. Wasn't tempted as it was clearly stolen. Cops came around the corner minutes later and caught thief was very gratifying to see.

Very many nice stolen bikes at there. Heartbreaking to think of the people missing them.

The opposite experience: years ago I had a very particular saddle stolen from my bike when almost new. Matching saddle then appeared on the bike of one of Dublin's long time couriers. I never asked him where he got it (my suspicions were more that he had bought it than actually taken it himself). Always have had slight feeling of regret not asking him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

boombang wrote: »
    Turned down a Brompton in London once at Brick Lane. Wasn't tempted as it was clearly stolen. Cops came around the corner minutes later and caught thief was very gratifying to see.

Very many nice stolen bikes at there. Heartbreaking to think of the people missing them.

It's not that this one is clearly stolen, there's just something I don't like about it. I don't know an awful lot as yet about bikes, but price seems too low, won't answer questions about size and stuff, and just some other inkling.

I'm with you on the second part too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was very suspect about my own bike (Felt F5) when buying it from Donedeal, it was described as nearly new with only 200 miles on it and when I went to see it, it was absolutely as new, no marks, wear or any signs of use. It was basically like a brand new bike straight from a shop and even had all the warning stickers on the frame, fork, seat post, chain stays etc etc but the price made me suspect of it (it was advertised for €950) Anyway the seller produced a receipt (from wiggle) the handbook/manual and the post-sale inspection card from wiggle (stamped and signed) and the serial number matched that on the bike and so i was happy to buy it then as i had satisfied myself that it was legit. I bought it for €900...bargain of the year IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Vizzy

CJC999 wrote: »
    I bought it for €900...bargain of the year IMO.

A steal at that price I would say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not that this one is clearly stolen, there's just something I don't like about it.

Yep, I see the difference now. Not obviously stolen, but something not quite right. Fair play for holding off if it doesn't seem 100% legit.

• Advertisement

I think you may have seen the same ad then? I told him I wasn't interested alright. Get myself something from someone genuine. I'd like to report it but with zero evidence I can't really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Its been known to happen, during the summer you see ads on donedeal and adverts for "my stolen bike"etc.

But the worst was there was a sportive near and we spotted two guys in cycling jerseys looking through windows of cars when everyone was getting a bite to eat. To think that people would see the value in bikes and think about stealing then beggers believe when you think about how little people cycle in ire (minus commuters).
    I suppose no harm we started thinking about the fact that these are valuable used or not and that people are cathching on to the gap in the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not that this one is clearly stolen, there's just something I don't like about it. I don't know an awful lot as yet about bikes, but price seems too low, won't answer questions about size and stuff, and just some other inkling.

Always remember that some people purchase a bike on the BTW scheme on a whim and discover for some reason or other that it is just not their thing. In some instances, I have seen some 'as new' bikes for sale at approx. 60% of the retail cost, which may be accounted for by the BTW tax break etc. etc. It is important to check out the obvious details - invoice, warranty etc. etc. Most of all, it should be possible to establish the authenticity of the seller from a conversation etc. etc. I would not draw any conclusions regarding lack of knowledge on the part of the seller etc. etc.

Maidhci wrote: »
    Always remember that some people purchase a bike on the BTW scheme on a whim and discover for some reason or other that it is just not their thing. In some instances, I have seen some 'as new' bikes for sale at approx. 60% of the retail cost, which may be accounted for by the BTW tax break etc. etc. It is important to check out the obvious details - invoice, warranty etc. etc. Most of all, it should be possible to establish the authenticity of the seller from a conversation etc. etc. I would not draw any conclusions regarding lack of knowledge on the part of the seller etc. etc.

Oh I know that alright, I'd be in a similar position if selling a bike right now myself as only beginning to get to know any thing about them. And I've seen many what I believe to genuine 100% legit ads with sellers as you describe.

The seller has questionable feedback too and very little overall. They've sold or are selling quite a few bikes too and are very quick to accept offer below the asking which is a bit low in the first place.

Could be legit, but it's enough for me to say no. Incidentally the other 3 bikes I'm now looking at are all seeming good and above board and one is definitely a BTW that's just lost interest very quickly

Advertisement