Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk Mail from politicians

Options
  • 17-01-2014 9:16pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

I've had a 'No Junk Mail' sticker up on my letter box for the last 18 months here in Kilkenny. I have to say it works quiet well. No more wasteful rubbish through the door. The only people who continue to put junk mail through my door are the politicians and councillors.

Cllr John Coonan passed his junk mail through the door this evening, I rang him about this and he says that this is not junk mail? He didn't like the fact I told him that that pizza leaflet droppers had more respect for me than himself.

Any thoughts? Junk mail or not? Should I return a load of junk mail to his address as printed on the leaflet?

:D:D :pac::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think that, technically, political stuff is not classed as junk mail. However, I'd say most people who receive it consider it junk mail.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

How's that I wonder. It is not address to anyone in a household. Nobody signed up for it. Nobody reguested it. If anything people request not to get it. 'No Junk Mail'. It is general promotion like you would get for a pizza place in town.

I think i'll have to upgrade my sticker.
    'No Junk Mail, and policiticians\councillors, that means you as well.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It is general promotion like you would get for a pizza place in town.

I don't agree. I wouldn't put politician's flyers in the same categroy as junk mail. (I also have a no junk sign up).

While the polticians are fairly obviously promoting themselves, they are also informing about what is going on in the community and putting their contact details and hours on the flyer should you wish to get in touch.

I am no fanboy of irish politics but I do think a community awareness is important, and i think their flyers tie into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

have a sh1t in an envelope ans post it to them, saying here's some of my ****e!

Good auld lee evans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Or reply to them with envelope (no stamp) marked 'donation', nice and big, they won't resist chance of a few bob and it will cost them 60c.

60c not much of a victory, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Sky King wrote: »
    While the polticians are fairly obviously promoting themselves, they are also informing about what is going on in the community and putting their contact details and hours on the flyer should you wish to get in touch.

I am no fanboy of irish politics but I do think a community awareness is important, and i think their flyers tie into that.

While I do take an interest in what is going on in the community I see there promotional material not to be about the community but about self promotion of their agenda to get into some sort of office. Just like any other business that hand out fliers it is about promotion to gain an advantage. Other people\businesses also have their opening hours and contact details. I think promotion\marketing is important for any business\politician, if I choose not to accept it they don't to go against my wishes.

With regard to receiving this type of material in various forms

I've chosen to not to receive it with a 'No Junk Mail sticker'
    I choose who to Like\befriend\interact with on social media.
    If a politician or Eircom alarm seller knock on my door. It is my choice if i want to listen to them.
    If I want their email newsletter I'll sign up for it. They can't send me stuff randomly

A few definitions of 'Junk Mail' (totally shooting myself in the foot here. :D )
    • Third-class mail, such as advertisements, mailed indiscriminately in large quantities.
    • (Marketing) untargeted mail advertising goods or services
    • unsolicited commercial material, as advertisements and requests for donations, mailed in bulk.

The above definitions all refer to items been 'mailed' so that means yes the political stuff is not junk mail. Either is the leaflets from the local pizza place junk mail as it was not mail.

But I think we all put these 'No Junk mail' stickers up to stop promotional stuff coming through the letter box.

My question still stands, Why do politicians think there material is more important than promotional material from supermacs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If it's got your name and address on it then it's not junkmail.

If it not is addressed to you or that address then it is junk mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Why let it bother you so much? Anytime I get junk in the letterbox it just goes straight into the bin.... Problem solved :)

Advertisement