Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

composite decking

• 17-01-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

looking to get some composite decking about 30 sq mtrs,the two I have been looking into are deck25 ni and earthwood,anyone any recommendations which is the better product or have used either for decking,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

baz69 wrote: »
    looking to get some composite decking about 30 sq mtrs,the two I have been looking into are deck25 ni and earthwood,anyone any recommendations which is the better product or have used either for decking,thanks

Buyer beware, composite decking can be an excellent material but qualities vary enormously (fading and warping are common especially with cheaper grades), albeit very expensive, expect significant fading with strong colours and less with softer hues. Often the performance is significantly undermined by poor installation, I've come across cases where large areas have been installed on untreated timbers and even when pressure treated timbers are used, significant sagging (due to weight of CD boards) is common. Other problems include not using the correct fixings, timber decking screws will spoil CD boards, better to use proprietary fixings or stainless steel screws (expensive but superior finish),

I wonder why people pay a premium price for a premium material only to have it ruin it with a cheap/inadequate support structure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 philip hayes

We use 6x2 treated timber and all our timber is kept off the ground to ensure longevity and all cut are treated also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

We use 6x2 treated timber and all our timber is kept off the ground to ensure longevity and all cut are treated also.

Not always practical or possible to use such boards and even then PT boards is often the vulnerable and soft underbelly which is why the use of a composite deck. I certainly would not recommend the use of pressure treated boards as a means of supporting composite decking. Therein is lies the key problem and challenge to the viability of a composite deck. Prohibitive cost of material is also a major factor.

Advertisement