Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school supervision

Options
  • 17-01-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

HI all in my kids school junior and senior infants have a separate play area there does be no teacher on duty in their play area just a teacher pops her head in to check them every now and again. Just wondering is this a breach of safety regulations. I want to make complaint to school but don't want to go in like an over paranoid mother if it is allowed lol

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

should have a teacher there

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gillq

should have a teacher there

Thanks sawdoubters. That's exactly my thoughts its just none of the other parents have complained they don't see a problem but I do

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

I thought supervision was a requirement? I would expect there to be at least one teacher in the yard at all times during break/lunch times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

In our school each yard has at least one teacher supervising. However, if it is a rainy day and the children are inside then we have up to three classes to supervise so in that situation we walk between the 3 rooms checking on them. This is because each year has three to four classes. In the morning the infants are inside in their rooms before school starts and again they would have a teacher walking between the rooms. It wouldn't be uncommon.

My little girl is in junior infants and her teacher doesn't rock up to school till 9.30 (school is supposed to start at 9.20) in her yard there is slides and a play house on top of slide I just think it's to dangerous for them not to have supervision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

My son isn't as school age yet but I definitely would not be happy if they were not supervised in the school yard! I'd definitely speak to somebody/make a complaint about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

gillq wrote: »
    My little girl is in junior infants and her teacher doesn't rock up to school till 9.30 (school is supposed to start at 9.20) in her yard there is slides and a play house on top of slide I just think it's to dangerous for them not to have supervision

How have you not made a complaint yet, school sounds like a complete and utter disaster...

It is a good school apart from that.. the only reason I haven't complained is because I have spoke to other parents and they don't seem bothered so I don't want to go in all guns blazing and have my kids bare the brunt of it from teachers taking it out on them that I'm a paranoid mother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

As an infant teacher I'm really surprised this teacher is getting away with arriving in at 9.30 for a 9.20 start. We'd be pulled on that straight away. If she is doing that you have every right to complain. Your child is missing out on nearly an hour a week. As for being afraid that the teachers will take it out on your children, I don't think you are being fair there. Any teacher I've ever worked with wouldn't dream of letting their relationship with a parent impact negatively on how they treat a child.

Advertisement